HTPC and work PC in one, but two locations.

Hi guys,

I hope this is in the right section.

Anyways, here goes. So I have my one PC for everything ; movies, series, music, gaming, facebook, photoshop, etc... and the way I'm setup right now, it's connected via HDMI cable to my TV in another room for when I want to watch something or game, and when I want to go on the interwebs, or get some photo editing done, I go to my desk, and work with my calibrated monitor.

Now here is where my problem arises; I'll be moving soon, and where I'm going, my desk area and my living room will be at two opposite ends of the appartment, so I can't physically connect everything to the computer. So is there any efficient way to have my PC at one end, or the other and still use it with the other peripherals with no input / display lag ?

i.e. Having my PC next to my HT setup and wirelessly having some sort of device where I'd connect my mouse, heyboard and monitors where my desk is so I can work there when I want to ?

Ideas ? Suggestions ? Or is my best bet to just get another computer for my photoshop needs and leave it there ?

Thanks ! :)

Leave your computer where it is. Let it run either Plex, Emby, or Kodi server. Get a fire tv or similar and hook it up to to TV using hdmi and run those programs. It can connect to your wire/wifi network and will play most if not all your files just fine. Problem solve.

Yup. Any streaming stick will do for most of the popular media content apps. Pick your favorite and go

Thanks for the suggestions. If I only wanted to stream videos, the whole Plex or other streaming service would work fine. But I also want to use it for gaming. (Nothing beats a bit of Co-op Broforce action on the big screen). Ok, other, more demanding games too.

HDbaseT 2.0 supports video and USB over cat 6 cable. However I don't know how many HDbaseT extenders support this yet (I know monoprice doesn't yet) so you might end up running 2 cat cables and get a high quality USB over cat extender. In my case I use the extron units (largly because I found a decent deal on eBay for a wall mount unit) this is how I currently do my home theater system with my PC in the rack in the basement.

Nvidia Shield would probably be your best bet to hit all those points. It's an amazing little piece of hardware.

Back