HTC's New Vive Payment Plans Diffuse the High Cost of PC Virtual Reality

Zarathustra[H]

Extremely [H]
I think we can all agree that unlike in the 90's when Virtual Reality first became a buzzword, VR today is pretty damned cool. One of the problems preventing it from really gaining as much traction as it should has been the rather steep up front cost. First you need a $800 headset, and then you also need a rather beefy computer with a fast GPU to keep up with the 11ms render times needed to prevent you from going into reprojection mode.

Well, at GDC HTC has announced that they are looking to do something about half of this problem. The HTC Vive will be offered with 0% $66 per month financing for 12 months.

If it has anywhere near the same effect it had on toe adoption rate of smartphones, this financing plan should certainly help with the adoption rate of the technology, especially for those who are on the fence, uncertain if the up-front investment is worth it. While some might argue about the wisdom of buying entertainment products on credit, personally I have no problem with taking advantage of a 0% financing option every now and then to soften the upfront blow. In fact, believers of the time-value of money might note that a 0% financing deal equates to a lower effective cost when considering the present value calculations, and is the smart thing to do if it is offered, as long as you keep up with your payments!

“For the first time, Vive is launching a financing program in North America. For $66 a month and no-interest financing for 12 months, users can purchase a Vive on Vive.com with zero down. Additional new financing options are available at varying finance terms.”

I'd be down for that, but at this point in the game I'm waiting to see any news about new headset revisions.

Great idea. The more that can be down to get more people with VR hardware the better.

I'd be down for that, but at this point in the game I'm waiting to see any news about new headset revisions.

Reading between the lines of recent statements by both HTC/Valve and Oculus, I wouldn't count on any Vive 2 or Rift 2 announcements until next year earliest.

Last edited:
For those that can't afford the upfront cost, I wonder if adding $66/m for one whole year to their monthly budget is still a significant burden.

I think I made the right decision going with the lower cost (saved $200 from sales) of Oculus for the first iteration. Vive looks to have a brighter and secure future and with all the possible 3rd party hardware addons that will be joining the ecosystem, switching to Vive for the next version and after will be the way to go.

Last edited:
Reading between the lines of various recent statements by both HTC/Valve and Oculus, I wouldn't count on any Vive 2 or Rift 2 announcements until next year earliest.

I agree. Both companies approached the hardware requirements for their headsets in a way that communicated to me that they intend these platforms to last about as long a console would (or more than a year).

Newer hardware with better screens, resolution, etc... would completely invalidate all the VR-Ready certification they have going for them.

I don't see hardware revisions for about a year or more with either headset.

Probably the only way I could ever afford one and be able to justify it to the wife. When I bought my 1080 all manner of hell was unleashed.

Reading between the lines of various recent statements by both HTC/Valve and Oculus, I wouldn't count on any Vive 2 or Rift 2 announcements until next year earliest.

LG is making a lot of noise regarding a new "next generation" VR headset they will be showing off at Valves booth at some point at GDC.

No details at all yet though. Not even a picture.

Here's what I think of when I hear "Next Generation Headset:"

6a0120a540faf3970b0120a5fd3790970c-pi

what pisses me off, is that the hardware itself isn't even worth half of that, this generation of VRsets, are the real developer kits, and R&D recovery cost, thy know it's a stop gap product, with no killer apps, they are not mass produced, rather few thousand units a month, and add hefty margins.

I'm very happy with my Vive, and glad to hear that it's being offered like this as I hope more people get one. The better the adoption the more games/software and continuation of the hardware down the road. Also, they're giving a nice discount too as $66.00 x 12 = $550.00, and that's with 0 percent financing.

I am mostly looking forward to April or May when Lenovo's headset comes out with the Windows 10 Creators Update. 1440p per eye a lighter headset and apparently comfortable for users who need glasses and half the price.

I'm very happy with my Vive, and glad to hear that it's being offered like this as I hope more people get one. The better the adoption the more games/software and continuation of the hardware down the road. Also, they're giving a nice discount too as $66.00 x 12 = $550.00, and that's with 0 percent financing.

I think you need to do your math again :p

LG is making a lot of noise regarding a new "next generation" VR headset they will be showing off at Valves booth at some point at GDC.

No details at all yet though. Not even a picture.

Here's what I think of when I hear "Next Generation Headset:"

6a0120a540faf3970b0120a5fd3790970c-pi
Yeah, I'm looking forward to see what LG came up with. I just heard that Borg implants can cause skin irritation.

Yeah, I'm looking forward to see what LG came up with. I just heard that Borg implants can cause skin irritation.
LG, ASUS, Lenovo, Dell, HP, Acer just to name a few that are all releasing new headsets in the next 2-3 months apparently starting at $300 and working up from there.

This is great, but only as a headline.....kinda gotta drill down to the terms to find out how bad you get screwed if you miss a payment, or what that 0% rate turns into if your credit is iffy at the time you apply for the deal.........

66 turns in to 120 up here in canada.

my htc vive with shipping exchange and taxes was well over 1300.

I agree. Both companies approached the hardware requirements for their headsets in a way that communicated to me that they intend these platforms to last about as long a console would (or more than a year).

Newer hardware with better screens, resolution, etc... would completely invalidate all the VR-Ready certification they have going for them.

I don't see hardware revisions for about a year or more with either headset.
These are not consoles, they are peripherals. There is no reason a Vive and a Vive 2 or Oculus and Oculus 2 wouldn't support the same content perhaps with a few more features on the newer headsets. The only reasons to hold back a better version would be ongoing R&D, not wanting to compete with your own product, and not make your early adopters feel like they should have waited.

I am mostly looking forward to April or May when Lenovo's headset comes out with the Windows 10 Creators Update. 1440p per eye a lighter headset and apparently comfortable for users who need glasses and half the price.

Lenovo's headset has little in common with actual VR headsets being discussed here. It's "half the price" because its a personal theater device - a gimmick that's come and gone in various forms over the years.

"As for what you’ll actually be able to do with this headset, Lenovo says that every Windows Store application will work in a theater-style floating viewer mode, and some HoloLens software will also be converted to the platform."

In other words, its FakeVR - it really does nothing where 3D is concerned, it has no motion input controls, it's just trying to make a quick buck on the VR buzzword like all the cheap, do-nothing chinese headsets.

Last edited:
what pisses me off, is that the hardware itself isn't even worth half of that, this generation of VRsets, are the real developer kits, and R&D recovery cost, thy know it's a stop gap product, with no killer apps, they are not mass produced, rather few thousand units a month, and add hefty margins.
Let's just say you are selling something you made for $800 and making a killing doing so. However, a potential buyer says what you're selling is only worth $400 and he will only pay that much. Do you - a: agree and lower the price to what the buyer wants or b: tell him to eff off? If you choose A, would you also refund all the previous buyers the difference?

Last edited:
It's almost like they are trying to run a business or something.

Let's just say you are selling something you made for $800 and making a killing doing so. However, a potential buyer says what you're selling is only worth $400 and he will only pay that much. Do you - a: agree and lower the price to what the buyer wants or b: tell him to eff off? If you choose A, would you also refund all the previous buyers the difference?

The thing is, nobody currently in the VR space is "making a killing" or applying "hefty margins". All the major players - hardware, software, developers, publishers - are in it for the long game, and in actuality are bleeding cash.

The thing is, nobody currently in the VR space is "making a killing" or applying "hefty margins". All the major players - hardware, software, developers, publishers - are in it for the long game, and in actuality are bleeding cash.
Agree. Part of my comment about "making a killing" was to make it more inline with what alamox wrote. But I like OneTwo's post. It simple and to the point and pretty much explains everything.

These are not consoles, they are peripherals. There is no reason a Vive and a Vive 2 or Oculus and Oculus 2 wouldn't support the same content perhaps with a few more features on the newer headsets. The only reasons to hold back a better version would be ongoing R&D, not wanting to compete with your own product, and not make your early adopters feel like they should have waited.

I realize they are not consoles. I said both companies are treating these platforms as something with the lifespan of a console, albeit a much shorter one. I say this because both platforms have a fixed hardware requirement.

Considering the price of either unit, it'd be slap in the face to all consumers who shell out $600-$800 if a hardware refresh occurred every year (don't compare this to a smartphone, an HMD is not in the same scope as a handset). As you mentioned, they'd cannibalize their own sales within half a year if they had a one year product cycle since everyone will hold out for the next one at the prices they are. I simply do not see revisions for either Oculus or the Vive before the end of 2017. Pulling a random date out of my ass, I'd say we won't see announcements for the second units until summer '18 ready for holiday '18.

Last edited:
I realize they are not consoles. I said both companies are treating these platforms as something with the lifespan of a console, albeit a much shorter one. I say this because both platforms have a fixed hardware requirement.

Considering the price of either unit, it'd be slap in the face to all consumers who shell out $600-$800 if a hardware refresh occurred every year (don't compare this to a smartphone, an HMD is not in the same scope as a handset). As you mentioned, they'd cannibalize their own sales within half a year if they had a one year product cycle since everyone will hold out for the next one at the prices they are. I simply do not see revisions for either Oculus or the Vive before the end of 2017. Pulling a random date out of my ass, I'd say we won't see announcements for the second units until summer '18 ready for holiday '18.

I don't see the problem with them coming out with new hardware every X years. It's technology, it's just the way the world works. It'll always get upgraded with something new and shiny. In the case of VR, at some point down the road "Wireless" will be integrated. New sensors, better quality lenses, lighter hardware, easier to adjust straps, different colors, googly eyes-editions...

If you're put off by purchasing something that's outdated in a year- stay away from [H]. The thrill of warranty voiding and trying bleeding edge technology comes with those with deep wallets and an understanding that most of the time you're doing something that's going to be a moot point in a year or two if you're lucky. It's an expensive hobby and one that most sensible people won't do.

Going through checkout for the Vive on the HTC website with paypal credit selected for payment, only these two choices come up.

6 payments of $138 per month or 24 payments of $34.50 per month. $0.00 interest for both options. Shipping and taxes will vary from person to person, but expect about $90 or so to add to the Vive's $800 cost.

GtAGMC3wNgz5B_SIFHposIeAXJMxnMDw1nmH27GU78c

Reading between the lines of recent statements by both HTC/Valve and Oculus, I wouldn't count on any Vive 2 or Rift 2 announcements until next year earliest.

HTC has said it will be demoing the TPCast wireless module, deluxe headstrap, and vive tracker at CES 2017, and will be releasing them sometime in Q2 2017.

My prediction is that the Q2 release will also include a new "deluxe" edition of the vive system, that includes these upgrades.

It might be more of a Vive 1.5, but its still an upgraded version. I couldn't find any mention at all of screen upgrades though (I would rather have wireless first anyway)

I don't see much problem wit this. 0% loans are great, so long as you don't miss a payment. I do them through my work when I can. Last time, I took a $10k loan with 0% and payback in 1 year. Sounds stupid, but might as well let your money make money. Obviously, the HTC Vive isn't making money, but instead of dumping $800 at once, what's leftover after each payment can make money.

I don't see much problem wit this. 0% loans are great, so long as you don't miss a payment. I do them through my work when I can. Last time, I took a $10k loan with 0% and payback in 1 year. Sounds stupid, but might as well let your money make money. Obviously, the HTC Vive isn't making money, but instead of dumping $800 at once, what's leftover after each payment can make money.

This is especially good for people who might otherwise use an interest-bearing credit card to buy it.

I will have what he's having please!... :)

As for the the payment plan... its about damn time. They would have probably doubled their sales if they would have done this in the beginning. Thats how you sell shit that people really cannot justify buying unless you're a dev or something.

Oh good, another monthly payment for something I do not need. Next thing you know, Nvidia will offer a monthly payment plan so you guy buy their latest Titan X, all on installments.

I would have been all over this 6 months ago, but with all the competition supposedly dropping here soon, the timing isn't right for me to buy

Back