HTC Vive Now Shipping with Tweaked Base Stations, Redesigned Packaging

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
HTC isn’t hogging everything for the inevitable Vive 2, as they are continuing to make improvements to the current model. First was a 15% reduction to the headset’s weight, and now they have new Base Stations with an updated LED array that features 9 LEDs instead of 15. This may just be a cost-saving measure, but early tests suggest that range may have actually improved by an extra foot.

These are not the completely redesigned Base Stations that Valve said will begin shipping this year, but rather a subtle design change to the infrared LED array that’s essential to the operation of the SteamVR Tracking system. As far as we’ve seen, every consumer Vive has previously shipped with Base Stations that have a 15-LED array which you can spot if you look carefully through the black front of the unit. The newer tweaked Base Station has a more rigidly aligned 9-LED (3×3) array. Beyond this we haven’t spotted any other visual differences, though it’s possible there’s some internal differences that we wouldn’t find without cracking the case open.

Last edited:
Seemed they where also having issues with the old base stations. Had to replace two of them because I keep them on as they are mounted on my walls. This was no good and you should be turning them off after use. Wonder if these new ones fix that issue.

Seemed they where also having issues with the old base stations. Had to replace two of them because I keep them on as they are mounted on my walls. This was no good and you should be turning them off after use. Wonder if these new ones fix that issue.

I used to use the Bluetooth wireless off/on functionality, which worked great until a random SteamVR update broke it. Now I just have to unplug them.

They are focussing on the wrong things :p
Fix the lenses!

950€ for the HTC Vive in france thats 1010$ US, they can tweak as much as they want, ithey are probably selling less than 1 thousand units per month worldwide by now, there is practically no more enthusiasts to milk at this point, just bring it under 500$ already....

Last edited:
Back