HTC Vive Cosmos Is a Tethered Headset According to FCC Filings

Discussion in 'HardForum Tech News' started by cageymaru, Jan 30, 2019.

1. cageymaru

cageymaru [H]ard|News

According to FCC filings, the upcoming HTC Vive Cosmos will not be a wireless headset. The 2.402-2.48 GHz frequencies used by the Cosmos are the same as what the Vive and Vive Pro devices use to connect wireless controllers to the headsets. A HTC representative told UploadVR that on "day one" the device will be connected by "a tether to the PC similar to other Vives on the market today." Hopefully a wireless adapter will be created for this device that works with AMD Ryzen systems.

The filing finally puts to rest the speculation as to whether the Cosmos would be a wired or wireless headset. The only listed wireless frequency is 2.402-2.48 GHz with an ultra low 2.5 mW power output. This is identical to the frequency and power output the Vive and Vive Pro use to communicate with their tracked controllers.

2. jnemesh

jnemesh [H]ard|Gawd

The current wireless adapter works flawlessly with my Vive Pro and Ryzen 2700x on an asus ch7 wifi motherboard.

3. Zarathustra[H]

Zarathustra[H] Official Forum Curmudgeon

This is the first I've heard of the Cosmos. I googled but it didn't help much.

Do we know yet what it is? A higher end Vive? Or some cheaper cost reduced version?

4. Nasty_Savage

Nasty_Savage [H]ardForum Junkie

Still sketchy at this point. I gather it has internal cameras perhaps instead of the sensors, and it can also be theethered to a Cell phone? Other than that...not sure yet...

Zarathustra[H] likes this.
  5. katanaD

katanaD [H]ard|Gawd

aye.. wireless vive pro with threadripper system

works great

and with that said...

i really think it is a mistake to make any NEW VR headset tethered. Its a night and day different with wireless.. dont have the cord wrapping around your feet.. etc

jnemesh likes this.
  6. cptnjarhead

cptnjarhead Crossfit Fast Walk Champion Runnerup

I think Oculus going wireless is their best move looking forward... Expanding their market creating a SOC ecosystem for VR... Valve can afford to keep it tethered pushing the tech...love my Rift... but the competition is heating up for my next VR purchase... win win!

7. jnemesh

jnemesh [H]ard|Gawd

Depends. I would say there are a lot of VR users who use it for racing and sims exclusively, and don't use roomscale at all. That being said, once you go wireless, you won't want to go back!