HTC Vive $350 at Amazon Warehouse Deals

cageymaru

Fully [H]
Seems that Amazon Warehouse Deals might be locally generated so YMMV. If you can see it, they have the HTC Vive for $439 and an additional 20% off coupon. This makes it $350.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00VF5NT4I

If you can or can't see the deal take a few seconds to comment. I'm curious to know if it is visible to you'll.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Considering that it's cheaper to buy a Vive and then a Vive Pro than it is to buy the Vive Pro package with the sensors (seriously, wtf?), this makes doing that even cheaper. You could then ebay the headset or something.

That having been said, I'd rather spend $500 for the Samsung VR helmet that has the same resolution as the Vive Pro for far less money.

Considering that it's cheaper to buy a Vive and then a Vive Pro than it is to buy the Vive Pro package with the sensors (seriously, wtf?), this makes doing that even cheaper. You could then ebay the headset or something.

That having been said, I'd rather spend $500 for the Samsung VR helmet that has the same resolution as the Vive Pro for far less money.

Is the Samsung Odyssey any good? I tried the Acer model and it was absolutely horrible. I concluded all Mixed Reality headsets were bad but maybe just the Acer was bad.

There's a big reason the Samsung is cheaper: its tied to a dead platform (Windows MIxed Reality).

SteamVR developers are steadfast in continuing to ignore adding native WMR support to their titles on philosophical grounds. That leaves the WMR headsets trying to "act like" a Vive through a translation layer, but it's wonky and the tracking doesn't work right.

Vive/VivePro and Oculus Rift are the industry standard and where the proper software support is.

Last edited:
There's a big reason the Samsung is cheaper: its tied to a dead platform (Windows MIxed Reality).

SteamVR developers are steadfast in continuing to ignore adding native WMR support to their titles on philosophical grounds. That leaves the WMR headsets trying to "act like" a Vive through a translation layer, but it's wonky and the tracking doesn't work right.

Vive/VivePro and Oculus Rift are the industry standard and where the proper software support is.

WMR works perfectly in most SteamVR games right now with custom support being implemented in current and new titles. The only difference in titles that don't support it are the controller models showing Vive controllers and a small minority of games not knowing what do do when the controllers are moved out of view. The next Windows update enables haptic feedback on the controllers. WMR is cheaper because it doesn't have separate sensors and most of the headsets don't have built in speakers or a hardware adjustable IPD.

I ordered the Vive. I'm not sure why it said used - maybe someone bought it and returned it, because everything was still factory sealed and the codes all worked. Great deal!

Got my Deluxe Audio Strap, perfect condition...came in a plastic zip-lock, but otherwise seems pristine. I think it was supposed to come with a small velcro strap for the rear attachment of the cable (no clue why they chose to do it this way, but okay), but I have plenty so no big deal.

Got my Deluxe Audio Strap, perfect condition...came in a plastic zip-lock, but otherwise seems pristine. I think it was supposed to come with a small velcro strap for the rear attachment of the cable (no clue why they chose to do it this way, but okay), but I have plenty so no big deal.
Mine comes today, I never saw a warehouse deal one. I am excited for it though, I really don't like the back strap on the stock. It just doesn't feel like it sits low enough on the back of my head no matter what I do, so instead of the vive riding low on my face like it should, I have it higher and it affects the image quality.

I had a custom welding helmet mod on mine, but the DAS is much more comfortable, and the built in headphones are nice to have.

I'd hesitate to strap a used product directly to my face without an intense cleaning, especially when you consider what a lot of people (guys) use VR for.

I'd hesitate to strap a used product directly to my face without an intense cleaning, especially when you consider what a lot of people (guys) use VR for.
Like I said, my 'used' Vive came with everything still in the factory wrappers.

Is the Samsung Odyssey any good? I tried the Acer model and it was absolutely horrible. I concluded all Mixed Reality headsets were bad but maybe just the Acer was bad.

The Odyssey was on sale for $400 today so I grabbed it and answered my own question:

I've not tried the Vive, but the Odyssey is better than the Oculus in just about every way except the controllers and tracking, which are only slight downgrades. I wouldn't use the Acer if someone paid me to use it, so obviously it's better than that too.

Image quality is far better (SDE is still present but almost unnoticeable), the little black plastic nose piece and volume buttons are so simple I'm stunned the Oculus didn't have them, and setup is extremely quick. Took all of five minutes to get it ready for Project Cars 2. It's marginally less comfortable on the sides and back of my head but far more comfortable on the front where the Oculus felt like snow goggles.

I've read complaints of tracking issues, so I'll have to see how it works with Robo Recall and Superhot VR and things like that, but so far I like it a lot. I had pretty much stopped playing VR because the image quality of the Oculus was so bad, but this has renewed my interest. It should serve well until the Vive Pro's price comes down or Oculus releases something new, but even then I may just stick with this.

Edit: Works perfect in Superhot VR. Anyone wanna buy my Oculus?

Last edited:
Reactions: Fleat
like this
Like I said, my 'used' Vive came with everything still in the factory wrappers.
There were two type of "used", they had "used like new" and "used very good". I hesitated, like an idiot, and ended up with a used very good, so I just ordered some 6mm face foam along with it. Not only is this more hygienic, but because they are thinner they increase the FOV and reduce the annoying fresnel lens effect.

However, I've had issues trying to utilize the full space I have available for this rig, with the lighthouses complaining when they were 7 meters apart diagonally. Even reducing it to 6 meters I still had intermittent tracking issues. Not until I got it down to 5.6 meters did it work flawlessly, and I don't like not using space I have available for roomscale.

So I've ordered the $399 Odyssey today as well, and should get in Monday. I'll be able to do an apples to apples comparison for myself, since I couldn't find one locally, and see how it plays Skyrim VR, Superhot, Space Pirate, and Gorn. If it sucks, its going right back to Amazon... in fact both might, as I think I may end up needing to wait for the new V2.0 lighthouses that allow for bigger play areas and wait for the Vive Pro to come down to sane prices.

Add me to the list of "Used: Very Good" that got a brand new unit. The box was beat up a bit, but everything inside was wrapped and unused. Even the Fallout VR code was unredeemed.

Last edited:

Good price on the Pro, but the description saying "Display has cosmetic imperfections but is usable" likely means there is some sort of imperfection on the len(s) or maybe even a dead pixel on the HMD display... not sure. Either way i'd be careful with that one. I suppose you can always return it, but that description is scary.

Good price on the Pro, but the description saying "Display has cosmetic imperfections but is usable" likely means there is some sort of imperfection on the len(s) or maybe even a dead pixel on the HMD display... not sure. Either way i'd be careful with that one. I suppose you can always return it, but that description is scary.
Probably a scratch on the outside of the thing. :)

Back