HTC reportedly considering selling its Vive VR business

Palmer is trolling /r/Oculus with the question: What do you guys think, should I buy Vive?

[link]

Part of me wants Facebook to buy it so that there is a unified VR platform on PC and VR users aren't screwed out of exclusives in an area that desperately needs game sales.

The other part of me knows that would cause a monopoly which could lead to less innovation and higher prices. But at the same time I think that Facebook would know that the VR realm isn't an area you can become stagnant otherwise VR will likely die as a whole.

Part of me wants Facebook to buy it so that there is a unified VR platform on PC and VR users aren't screwed out of exclusives in an area that desperately needs game sales.

The other part of me knows that would cause a monopoly which could lead to less innovation and higher prices. But at the same time I think that Facebook would know that the VR realm isn't an area you can become stagnant otherwise VR will likely die as a whole.

Screw that noise. I don't want facebook cameras in my home.

Monopoly reasons aside, Facebook is a shit company and I want nothing to do with them. Besides, like you said, competition is good :)

Facebook is shit but the company whose sole existence rests on the back of a franchise they couldn't even fucking finish is OK.

Facebook cameras, HTC cameras, Valve cameras...what difference does it make?

Facebook cameras, HTC cameras, Valve cameras...what difference does it make?
The difference is Oculus has real cameras pointed at you constantly in order to determine your positional location. There have already been videos of people accessing them as cameras. Then there is the problematic ToS of Oculus of what data they collect "Information about your physical movements and dimensions when you use a virtual reality headset." Seriously that is creepy as hell and it's facebook so you know they are definitely sending that data to the mothership so at some point they can send you some really personally targeted ads eventually. "Hi [insert name here], we noticed your gut got bigger maybe it's time to join weight watchers." lol

The difference is Oculus has real cameras pointed at you constantly in order to determine your positional location.

No offense...but are you fucking kidding me? The Oculus sensors, according the link YOU provided, have to basically be hacked and then the images you can get from it have to be messed with to even be visible due to how the images are captured. And even then they're only grayscale.

You know what the Vive has? That little innocent perfect HMD? A fully functional color camera mounted right the front of the fucking thing that scans your entire play area and space around you and people that come in and out.

You think Oculus can get some information about you? The Vive is basically a walking reality TV crew recording everything you do.

Yeah, Oculus might be owned by Facebook but Valve already has the same information...if not WAYYYYYYYYY more considering the color camera and it's sensors more accurate tracking...so it could definitely tell how out of shape you've gotten better than the Oculus, right?

Food for thought.

No offense...but are you fucking kidding me? The Oculus sensors, according the link YOU provided, have to basically be hacked and then the images you can get from it have to be messed with to even be visible due to how the images are captured. And even then they're only grayscale.

You know what the Vive has? That little innocent perfect HMD? A fully functional color camera mounted right the front of the fucking thing that scans your entire play area and space around you and people that come in and out.

You think Oculus can get some information about you? The Vive is basically a walking reality TV crew recording everything you do.

Yeah, Oculus might be owned by Facebook but Valve already has the same information...if not WAYYYYYYYYY more considering the color camera and it's sensors more accurate tracking...so it could definitely tell how out of shape you've gotten better than the Oculus, right?

Food for thought.
With SteamVR you just turn off the camera and it is totally turned off. I don't use it, was to bothersome seeing room come in if I got too close to something. Now how do you turn off the camera's with the Rift and still use it? :LOL:

Maybe some are getting too paranoid as well.

Food for thought.
Sorry you don't get it. Yes those cameras have to be hacked for someone to access it like a regular camera but you know who doesn't have to hack the cameras to get that info, Facebook. Read the article, the full camera image is just obfuscated. The point isn't that Facebook is spying on you (for now) while using the Rift, it's the fact that they can and you have given them permission to do so thanks to their ToS. If they choose to do it in the future they already have fully functional cameras in place for rift users because the system can't work without the cameras.

As far as the Vive camera goes you aren't wrong about it's capability just as noko said you can turn it off in SteamVR. Just a fun fact for the more paranoid, if you put a piece of tape over the camera you can still play your games in VR. Try putting some tape on the oculus cameras and see how good your VR experience is. :LOL:

Sorry you don't get it.

What don't I get? You people apparently don't seem to "get" it.

just as noko said you can turn it off in SteamVR. Just a fun fact for the more paranoid, if you put a piece of tape over the camera you can still play your games in VR. Try putting some tape on the oculus cameras and see how good your VR experience is. :LOL:

You don't think someone couldn't figure out how to hack the Vive camera to turn it on remotely? I see no reason why it couldn't happen. As for the tape goes that doesn't stop possible audio recording and still collecting personal info based on sensor info.

Either way...even if Facebook, for whatever reason, used the Oculus sensors as super shitty spy cams all they'd see is my small square room. So what? I see worse shit glancing through neighbors windows as I'm walking by.

And I love how some are anti-Oculus because of Facebook...wonder if they're as paranoid about that as they are their cellphones and webcams on everything these days.

The paranoia is remarkably strong around the Oculus...

The real problem I have with paranoia obsessed idiots is that they think someone would actually be interested in viewing them to begin with! Like someone hacking into one of their VR cameras to obtain a shitty, badly lit video of them playing a VR game is akin to having a documentary team with movie cameras stalking them around their homes and exposing their mundane existence and whatever crappy life choices they choose to make. If you are that paranoid, let me inform you of something a bit more worthy of your paranoia... there's a MUCH easier way for nefarious companies/govt/etc. to spy on you. Like Mut1ny mentions above, it's called your damn cell phone. It has a really good mic and multiple high quality cameras built into it. You hold it up and walk all over the place with it. No one seems to mind using them everywhere... But fixed VR cameras pointed down at the floor in a couple corners of one room of your house with limited viewing angles that are only on when the PC is powered up is somehow this HUGE privacy concern. Give me a break! No one cares about watching your lame ass playing VR. Just be normal like the rest of us and stop playing VR in the nude! Sheesh!

Reactions: noko
like this
The real problem I have with paranoia obsessed idiots is that they think someone would actually be interested in viewing them to begin with! Like someone hacking into one of their VR cameras to obtain a shitty, badly lit video of them playing a VR game is akin to having a documentary team with movie cameras stalking them around their homes and exposing their mundane existence and whatever crappy life choices they choose to make. If you are that paranoid, let me inform you of something a bit more worthy of your paranoia... there's a MUCH easier way for nefarious companies/govt/etc. to spy on you. Like Mut1ny mentions above, it's called your damn cell phone. It has a really good mic and multiple high quality cameras built into it. You hold it up and walk all over the place with it. No one seems to mind using them everywhere... But fixed VR cameras pointed down at the floor in a couple corners of one room of your house with limited viewing angles that are only on when the PC is powered up is somehow this HUGE privacy concern. Give me a break! No one cares about watching your lame ass playing VR. Just be normal like the rest of us and stop playing VR in the nude! Sheesh!
But minimum clothing maximizes a gamers ninja reflexes :(

Back