HTC hinting at Ver 2?

The Vive PRO will be an upgrade, but I would like to see full 4k per eye.
Yeah, going from 2160 x 1200 to 2880 x 1600 isn't enough to upgrade unless you really have cash to burn.
I am also waiting on at least 4K. Not sure what Rift has next year or what the Vive will have then. It will be interesting to see who gets their first.(True 4K not upscaled crap, tricks, etc)
Maybe even use 1 GPU per eye.

4k per eye would be nice, but getting 90fps with current hardware will require other iq sacrifices. Then again, running 4k screens at 1920x1080 per eye would still reduce sde, and increase performance. That has it's own sacrifices though.

Multi gpu is, well, it still seems to be in a pretty sad state, games compatibility wise, for VR. Getting devs to code for it will prolly require Nv and/or AMD to do it for them. Which is not unheard of, but not something I will count on.

4k per eye would be nice, but getting 90fps with current hardware will require other iq sacrifices. Then again, running 4k screens at 1920x1080 per eye would still reduce sde, and increase performance. That has it's own sacrifices though.

Multi gpu is, well, it still seems to be in a pretty sad state, games compatibility wise, for VR. Getting devs to code for it will prolly require Nv and/or AMD to do it for them. Which is not unheard of, but not something I will count on.

https://developer.nvidia.com/explicit-multi-gpu-programming-directx-12

I put aside $500 in anticipation of this; that was my ceiling. $800 is just too high.

I put aside $500 in anticipation of this; that was my ceiling. $800 is just too high.
I was in the same boat. HTC can't survive like this. They're being shredded all over the internet now. I hope they wake up soon.

In the mean time, I'm going to try to get a Volta/ampere video card and Max out everything on my vive for now until something better comes along(which probably won't be this year).

The Samsung HMD looks good but I really don't like the Microsoft controllers. It's nothing close to the vive controllers.

Well, at least my wallet feels a little relieved now so that's something...

I was in the same boat. HTC can't survive like this. They're being shredded all over the internet now. I hope they wake up soon.

In the mean time, I'm going to try to get a Volta/ampere video card and Max out everything on my vive for now until something better comes along(which probably won't be this year).

The Samsung HMD looks good but I really don't like the Microsoft controllers. It's nothing close to the vive controllers.

Well, at least my wallet feels a little relieved now so that's something...
You and I have similar plans now.

I’m not even sure I care to buy a Volta/Ampere card as I really wanted one for the Vive Pro. They kinda fucked my whole reason for upgrading.

This price is an absolute joke. There is no way in hell this is justified.

The full package was $800 two fucking years ago.

This price is an absolute joke. There is no way in hell this is justified.
Of course it's justified. They added "Pro" to the end of the name.

Hey, it could be worse. Just think how much they'd be asking if they'd thought to name it the "HTC Vive Pro-X".

Agree with the general sentiment that at $400, for the small resolution bump that it brings, it would have at least been somewhat palatable. $800 for just the HMD is pretty much ludicrous given that you could buy two compete Rift setups for that price. HTC obviously hasn't learned from past mistakes as to pricing/competition and wants to repeat them. If they wanted to sway folks to upgrade (which is pretty much the only market for this standalone HMD Vive replacement at this point), then they should have priced it at $399. There simply isn't enough of an improvement here to tempt me to consider upgrading. Had they been smart, they would have also paired it with a set of the new knuckle controllers to even begin to try to justify that asking price... but sadly this is just way too little an offering for way too much coin. I'm going to pass on this and wait on Rift 2.0

That is ridiculous. Over a grand if you need the sensors and controllers, which I would. I waste a ton of money all the time and wouldn't touch this.

Does Oculus have anything on the horizon?

I guess their goal is to not sell very many of these...

And it seems all the major YouTubers that are big VR people have had issues with their HTC Vive in some way or another and every one of them have talked about how bad the customer service is. They even changed the warranty to not cover damage from sweating so even if your Vive is brand new and only a few days old and you sweating it so much that it breaks you are fucked and have to pay for that. For 800 bucks I would go ape shit on their customer service if they tried to make me pay for damage from sweating.

I don't see a release date anywhere on the site. Have they said anything? At this price I'm not pre-ordering.

Agree. I like my Vive but 800$ just to upgrade the hmd is just too steep

So if you don't have anything yet. You need to spend an extra $530 for the 2 controllers and 2 base stations....or you buy the regular Vive that includes them for $500.

I'm guessing they plan on doing a Pro with included accessories eventually. I guess I'll just wait. The wireless adapter doesn't come out until Q3.

Yeah, going from 2160 x 1200 to 2880 x 1600 isn't enough to upgrade unless you really have cash to burn.
I am also waiting on at least 4K. Not sure what Rift has next year or what the Vive will have then. It will be interesting to see who gets their first.(True 4K not upscaled crap, tricks, etc)

It is 75% more pixels.

Honestly for that price.... I would have liked wireless. SDE is annoying on original Vive so the pro is tempting.

It is 75% more pixels.

Honestly for that price.... I would have liked wireless. SDE is annoying on original Vive so the pro is tempting.

Seen a few impressions on YouTube from people with first hand experience with the Pro....for as much of a bump as the resolution is the general consensus is that it's almost unnoticeable when not specifically looking at text. SDE is still an issue and god rays are actually more prominent than the non-Pro version.

Seen a few impressions on YouTube from people with first hand experience with the Pro....for as much of a bump as the resolution is the general consensus is that it's almost unnoticeable when not specifically looking at text. SDE is still an issue and god rays are actually more prominent than the non-Pro version.

Oh bummer. Thanks though. I think i'll buy the headstrap upgrade for the normal vive for Easter then. Debating the wireless.

If you look at the dev section on the Vive settings I am pretty sure I am pushing 2x4k easily super scaling right now. The games are designed to run fast... I'll have to check it later.

But the not enough GPU power doesn't really hold weight IMO.

Edit: nevermind I meant 4k total...

Last edited:
If you add to cart it says April, but multiple sites are reporting April 5th.

Originally it showed April 3-4 but now it just says April so I am guessing first shipment has already sold out. Kind of annoyed because Digital River cancelled my original order for some reason so I had to redo my entire purchase. Sites need to stop using DR as their merchant, they're fucking awful.

If you look at the dev section on the Vive settings I am pretty sure I am pushing 2x4k easily super scaling right now. The games are designed to run fast... I'll have to check it later.

But the not enough GPU power doesn't really hold weight IMO.
You are delusional if you think you're running 4k per eye or 8k total. That would literally be over 13 times the overall resolution of the current HTC Vive and Rift.

Last edited:
You are delusional if you think you're running 4k per eye or 8k total. That would literally be over 13 times the standard overall resolution of the current HTC Vive and Rift.

Considering the slider only goes to 2.4 you're probably right lol. Maybe it was 4k total which lines up perfectly with 1.7 SS. :D

Some games like job simulator I could crank higher, but I think it's around diminishing returns at that setting.

You are delusional if you think you're running 4k per eye or 8k total. That would literally be over 13 times the overall resolution of the current HTC Vive and Rift.
If they can get each eye to use a GPU, then it would be possible.

Lol no, not even remotely close. Are you really not grasping the concept of over THIRTEEN times the resolution of the current Vive and Rift?
Well let's see. A 1080ti can run 4K pretty decent. 2 1080ti's and 2 eyes at 4K each. Total res is 8K.
The res of the Rift is 2K total.(Same as the Vive) Where do you get 13x more?
My math is rusty.

Well let's see. A 1080ti can run 4K pretty decent. 2 1080ti's and 2 eyes at 4K each. Total res is 8K.
The res of the Rift is 2K total.(Same as the Vive) Where do you get 13x more?
My math is rusty.
Yeah your math is way off. A 1080 ti is not even remotely capable of running most VR games at 4k 90hz and 8k would be FOUR times the resolution of 4k.

Rift and Vive have 2160x1200 res which is 2,592,000 pixels.

8k is 7680x4320 which is 33,177,600 pixels.

That means 8k is 12.8 times the pixels of the current Vive and Rift.

I was off by a little as I said it was over 13 times because I was just doing the math in my head at first.

Yeah your math is way off. A 1080 ti is not even remotely capable of running most VR games at 4k 90hz and 8k would be FOUR times the resolution of 4k.

I was off by a little as I said it was over 13 times because I was just doing the math in my head at first.
Are you sure the 1080ti can not handle 4k VR?
What testing have you seen on VR?

If the Vive pro makes things at a distance look clear in fallout 4, onward, ect. I'll pay the 800 for it.

That is ridiculous. Over a grand if you need the sensors and controllers, which I would. I waste a ton of money all the time and wouldn't touch this.

Does Oculus have anything on the horizon?

It's pretty obviously not geared at grabbing new users, but people upgrading from the original Vive.

The whole thing is pretty shitty. You have to keep everything but the HMD from your original which means your HMD is worthless to anyone except someone that broke theirs.

I thought the people saying $350 or $400 were dreaming but I didn't expect $800. Maybe $600.

For $800 I'd really expect 4k or wireless or both.

You also have to wonder what this is going to be priced at once it's bundled. Either it's going to be $1200+ which seems like it won't sell at all or it's going to be less than a grand which screws their early adopters pretty hard.

Two 4K screens isn't 7680x4320 it's 7680x2160.

I'm talking about true 8K. If you go back and look at the context it was in reference to the pimax being called 8K which of course it's not even remotely close to actual 8K resolution.

Yeah, but true 8k would be pointless in VR, double wide 4k is fine as horizontal fov being higher than vertical is better, anyway. So people calling '8k' in VR as 2x 4k is fine, imo, especially as there is no true 8k resolution spec.

I'd be perfectly happy in VR with 2x 4k screens and a 1080 or 1080ti driving each screen, which should be doable in current tech/engines at decent performance.

Back