HTC Hero Reviewed by Engadget

...i really wanted to get that after the pictures, but the reviews let me down when i read it last thursday...typical HTC for underdeveloping something they promised would be the second coming of christ..

The software is still impressive... I wonder if they can make it work better with some updates. If they can setup some logic to not keep all apps open that are in the UI that would help.

Otherwise it looks like it's down to the pre (gsm version when released) or the iphone for me.

Engadget posted a less than stellar review of the HTC Hero. Sounds like the main gripe is that the performance and that it may be due either to the new senseUI or the large number of apps loaded into mem, or both.

The way I understand the Hero, is that design wise and features it is hands down the best Android phone on the market. But that sadly it is built on dated hardware, and can't keep up with everything this phone offers. Sounds like the old iPhones to me, cool gadgets but slow hardware made them suck.

Now the T-Mobile MyTouch looks better in a way. Sure the Hero is the cooler phone and better features, but is a turtle and will be frustrating to own if slow and laggy. Where the MyTouch may not have all the features, but I hear it is a snappy and a fast Android phone.

that's just suck as they didnt even upgrade the processor of this phone from its predecessor. :( Was looking forward of getting this and let go my iPhone 3G, but i guess i have to stick with my iphone for now..

Damn, this review was a serious downer. Looks like it'll be the iPhone or BB Tour for me.

Potential justification for the cost of an iphone...

suppose I were to buy an unlocked phone, such as the hero, n97, or someday to arrive pre GSM. I buy it unlocked so I can use the $15/mo data plan with AT&T, not having to go with their $30/mo smartphone plan, nor having to sign a contract.

Compare that to buying an iphone. You are required to pay $30/mo for the data plan ($15/mo more than unlocked phone), plus $200 for the 16gb 3gs. That's $560 over the 2 year period.

Is it really that expensive? Seems like all the other phones out there that come close to iphone are $600-700.

Or would you argue that buying a phone that does not require the $30/mo plan also offers a subsidy, and thus you are really paying more than $560 for the iphone?

Others reviews have agreed with Engadget's, BUT you need to remember that it depends on how many widgets you're looking to run. For some reason, HTC made the default profile come with 7-8 widgets which the phone can't handle, but if you're only using 3-4 it seems to be fine.

That's what I was thinking... maybe it isn't so bad provided that you use it right. I dunno, it's a bit of a risk though. I wonder how many widgets I'd actually use.

Some folks are saying that because android puts the swap file on the memory card, that using a class 6 or 10 sdhc card fixes the performance bottle neck.

Anyone here think that is true?

get the Mytouch, its a great phone. I have been using it for about a month or more and I love it.

I actually Returned my 3GS and kept this. I was just so sick of Apple and ATT. This phone does everything I want a phone to do.

I actually Returned my 3GS and kept this. I was just so sick of Apple and ATT. This phone does everything I want a phone to do.

I might just get one this month :) T-Mobile always had the best service in my area = Chicago, and their monthly plan was much cheaper than AT&T. Here in Chicago everyone I know with an iPhone pays around the same, which is a grand total with tax and all options around $180 per month :eek: Where I had the T-Mobile Blackberry 8900 last year and it was like $120 max, plus 100 times better phone service with very few dropped calls.

Cna this new Android MyTouch do alot of the same things the iPhone can ? Will the World of Warcraft mobility app work on this phones too, or that other cool WoW the Mobility Armory ?

Nice couple of video comparisons. I think both phones have their strong points. If Sprint gets the Hero, as Noah suggested as a possibility, then I'd be even less inclined to buy it. Sprint's coverage still is fairly limited in parts of Georgia and Florida where I spend a lot of time during the spring/summer.

Yeah, for me it'll probably come down to who carries what. 3GS, Touch Pro 2, Pre and Hero are all very appealing, but I'm leaving T-Mobile and I don't want to touch ATT again. I wish Noah had talked about battery life, since HTC is usually good with that.

I was really hoping the Hero would have better hardware. Right now, I'm interested in Sony's upcoming high end Xperia Android phone (unnamed as of yet) and the Samsung Galaxy with Android to replace my iPhone 3G. Some people like Apple and The Apple Way, but I'm sick of it.

I was really hoping the Hero would have better hardware. Right now, I'm interested in Sony's upcoming high end Xperia Android phone (unnamed as of yet) and the Samsung Galaxy with Android to replace my iPhone 3G. Some people like Apple and The Apple Way, but I'm sick of it.

what more hardware? better processor? i think a 500mhz processor is good enough, you can multitask enough, only time you need more processing power is if you open too many apps(close some then...) or the app wants a lot of power(like hard core gaming or rendering... then get a netbook) you don't really need to cramp a 1ghz processor (more heat, battery loss...) into a phone

I could be happy with the performance of the proc, but the main problem with the hero atm seems that it only works with 2g speeds in the US. What is the point of a GSM phone if it won't work with US 3g networks?

The phone is still months away from being released in the US, so obviously the 3g thing is a non-issue and even if it doesn't get new hardware, HTC has acknowledged the performance problems and is supposedly tweaking it for the US release.

The 3g version to be released in the US.... I'm hearing rumors it will be for sprint... that being the case, since it's quad band, it could still theoretically work on GSM with US 3g, right?

I'm hoping for some software fixes to the performance too. However, I think that the reviews I've seen had a lot of widgets running, and that by simply reducing the number of them the performance should improve. I don't really need a super fast phone, I'm not interested in the functions it has even if they are a bit slower than an iphone or pre.

I think the smartest thing right now is wait. Just wait closer to the holiday season, which is only 3 - 4 months away and there should be a dozen more Android phones on the U.S. market then.

I read this Summer someone saying there are roughly 18 new Android phones to be released by the end of this year.

Currently the best U.S. Android phone is the new T-Mobile "MyTouch" that comes out this week. But if you can wait until December your choices for Android will be great from what the rumors say

Im with you on this. The Galaxy and Xperia 3 phones are both looking great. Have not decided which of those two will be the winner for me though.

Yes, the xperia x3 look very nice... probably a ways out though. I'll be buying something else in the meantime. Looks like 1ghz will be out and about over the next 1-2 years.

I'm just tickled pink to see HTC finally bringing out a somewhat cool looking phone that doesn't have the crappy Windows Mobile sh*t that hasn't been worth a dam since day one.

of course nothing can compare to my 3GS iPhone but that's for a different discussion.

Back