HTC EVO 4G or Iphone 4G

sifulee

Limp Gawd
Hello everyone! I'm currently using a Sony Ericsson W580i and I'm so ready to get my first smart phone. My contract with AT&T has finally ended (Woo hoo!)

So here's where I'm not sure what to do. Should I go with Sprint and get the HTC EVO or wait for the Iphone 4G? Its a tough decision I know but I'm kinda leaning torwards the EVO because of the 4.3" screen, wimax, 8mp camera and 720p recording. But then again I'd hate to leave AT&T if the Iphone 4G is gonna be even better. What would you do?

Please help!

I'd wait for the iPhone if you can manage to wait. Then, you'll have options. EVO or iPhone 4G.

Man its so hard to wait but your probably right! I'm just so tried of my W580i. Andriod seems to be just as good as the iphone os from what I've read. And the speeds of Sprints Wimax seem impressive. Should I really wait? I mean what is the Iphone 4G gonna have over the EVO?

possibly higher rez, yet smaller screen. Iphone ui some people may prefer. Other then that, its locked down, and really is only worth it if you plan on jailbreaking.

I don't see any reason to wait for the 4G from Apple. i'd give it a week or two after the evo comes out.

Plus, AT&T is balls. you can get the 69.99 unlimited for the EVO.

Just as a clarification in the terms of Apple 4G means Fourth Generation and has no network applications. I think that I have herd that AT&T are not going to use a genuine 4G network. this is not a bad thing. Sprint is rolling out a completely new network that requires another company to install new towers. This means that it will be slow to implement on a national basis. Also the 4G tech is on a new frequency that does not have the same properties as 3g. This means that the signal does not penetrate buildings as well so signal can vary drastically between inside and outside. I have heard that AT&T is going with a modified version of 3G tech that has much greater bandwidth than the current 3G stuff put there now but it can use the same infrastructure so once it is finalized it can be implemented nationally very quickly and have the same coverage aspects as is available now.

possibly higher rez, yet smaller screen. Iphone ui some people may prefer. Other then that, its locked down, and really is only worth it if you plan on jailbreaking.

Is a 3.5" screen with 960x640 resolution even going to be noticeably better than if the resolution was 480x360. I'll trade a little resolution for a bigger screen because that's more important to me. The new iphone sure is a good looking phone though, they nailed the looks imo.

Keep in mind that 3.5 inches is easier to grip; most people who've used the Evo 4G already will tell you that it's a fairly big phone. Good if you're almost always using it for data, not so hot if you make a lot of phone calls.

I would wait for the next iPhone just to see what rabbits get pulled out of which hats. That crazy display, a front camera, faster wireless... they may be the tip of the iceberg.

Does anyone know if Android OS, music player (the default one) when you use it do songs scrobble with Last FM?

Get it. If the iPhone is good enough to get you can always return the Evo under Sprints 30-day satisfaction policy.

Does anyone know if Android OS, music player (the default one) when you use it do songs scrobble with Last FM?

If you install the Last FM app it does.

Is a 3.5" screen with 960x640 resolution even going to be noticeably better than if the resolution was 480x360.

Absolutely. Holding a Droid next to an iPhone 3GS, the iPhone is blurry as fuck. Text that is perfectly clear and sharp on a web page is unreadable on the iPhone. On the iPhone you have to zoom in much further than on the Droid to be able to get clear, readable text.

Now, whether or not your eyes can see the difference or not is an entirely different story, but its a huge difference for me.

Really, though, it isn't about the hardware. Android lets you install custom keyboards, home screen replacements, apps that require root - all from the marketplace. It has a built in mechanism to select what app you want to handle different tasks. Should links in your email open with the built in browser or should it use Skyfire? That is up to you, the user. The only thing you can't put in the marketplace is an app that competes with the market place itself, but you are certainly free to install such an app (if one even exists) from other sources, like through the web browser or from an SD card. Also, IMO navigation on Android is miles better than the iPhone. Dedicated back, menu, and home buttons are awesome. It always annoys me on the iPhone that to go back a screen you have to reach the top left corner of the screen. Android's hardware back button on the bottom left is much easier to hit IMO. And the notification tray is awesome.

The iPhone, on the other hand, has flashier interfaces. iPhone apps tend to be more visually appealing, but Apple decides everything for you. The iPhone also tends to get apps sooner. Paypal's iPhone app, for instance, is *much* better than the Android version. You'll find that major companies treat an Android version of the app as an afterthought. So the iPhone currently has a huge advantage in that area.

Last edited:
If both phones were available right now today, I'd grab the HTC EVO and run with it (after paying, of course). :)

Android 2.2 will appear for it soon enough, and Android just keeps getting better all the time...

iPhone OS? Hrmmm... nothing new that interests me in v4.0 so far. We don't know everything it'll do but, I'd honestly rather just have the EVO and get busy.

Yep, blanketed with Sprint and Clear both (not that Clear plays into this but, they get service from Sprint anyway)... ;)

How about this ?

shadow1.jpg

Link

That Moto BLUR crap needs to die, it's just getting in the way of Android. Would be nice if Motorola would just pay attention to what's going on and scrap that thing once and for all.

It's nice, that new Droid, but the specs overall don't hold a candle to the EVO, sadly. HTC rules these days and there's nobody that seems capable of catching 'em, including Apple.

that new Droid is also made by HTC.

Sure looks like it says MOTOROLA all over it. Motorola makes the Droid (original), the Droid Desire, and the one pictured above which is not the Droid Incredible - that's made by HTC.

And the Droid 2 is happening as well (this posted just today):

http://www.onlykent.com/20100523/s-make-mine-a-motorola-droid-2shadow/

The big question is: what's the device pictured above, the Droid 2, or the Shadow? We'll find out soon enough.

I don't see any reason to wait for the 4G from Apple. i'd give it a week or two after the evo comes out.

Plus, AT&T is balls. you can get the 69.99 unlimited for the EVO.

If I remember the EVO is going to be an additional $10.00 a month for the "premium" web service. That has nothing to do with tethering, or making a mobile hot spot.

Its just an extra 10 bucks a month for that phone.

Evo is 4G, can customize it.
iPoS is not 4G, cannot customize it, made by apple.

Take your pick.

Evo is 4G, can customize it.
iPoS is not 4G, cannot customize it, made by apple.

Take your pick.

For me, I need a phone that does three things very well.
1. voice quality. needs to be clear.
2. web surfing needs to look normal. like on a real computer (as much as possible).
3. ease of texting.

The iPhone does all that very well. I've never used it as a music player. I loaded a bunch of apps on it a number of years ago when it was a novelity to me. Now, I only use a couple of apps, mainly for work.

What I am realizing that (again for me) having the iPhone is not worth about $1200+/year. ATT service in Phoenix has dramatically improved, but I lived with crap service for awhile (in other places). So I am not in love with ATT.

As long as the phone does the top three and signal from the carrier is good, it'll be good by me.

I seriously don't understand the added 10 bucks a month for the Evo. Its like Sprint is trying to shoot themselves.

I seriously don't understand the added 10 bucks a month for the Evo. Its like Sprint is trying to shoot themselves.

This.

I'm not tied to a carrier. And until I heard about the $10/month extra I was probably going to be picking up an evo in 3 months or so. But now? Heh. Now I'm thinking the Incredible on Verizon or maybe an unsubsidized N1 on tmobile.

Although maybe there'll be something even nicer out come 3-4 months from now when I'm ready to buy. I can at least hope :)

with the $10 more the evo is probably still cheaper. if you want to avoid it for unknown reasons go ahead. have fun paying more on another carrier.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

To me it appears Sprint is giving the illusion the phone is subsidized at $199. Reality states it's $199 + $240 ($10 per month/24 month contract) = $439 out of pocket for the phone.

This.

I'm not tied to a carrier. And until I heard about the $10/month extra I was probably going to be picking up an evo in 3 months or so. But now? Heh. Now I'm thinking the Incredible on Verizon or maybe an unsubsidized N1 on tmobile.

Although maybe there'll be something even nicer out come 3-4 months from now when I'm ready to buy. I can at least hope :)

To me it appears Sprint is giving the illusion the phone is subsidized at $199. Reality states it's $199 + $240 ($10 per month/24 month contract) = $439 out of pocket for the phone.

Even with the $10 considered getting an EVO is STILL cheaper than going through VZW or ATT. As it is right now with my plan i pay ~$30 less than VZW would charge me so bring on my EVO and the $10 charge. I have not looked at ATT since i last went plan shopping but they where almost $50 more than sprint wanted a month.

Do some plan comparing and you'll find real fast that the $10 fee is not a big deal. Especially considering that its real unlimited data usage unlike some carriers.

with the $10 more the evo is probably still cheaper. if you want to avoid it for unknown reasons go ahead. have fun paying more on another carrier.

When I cross-priced verizon and sprint I found that, at least for the plans I'm interested in, the prices were pretty dang similar.

And even if they weren't, I'd rather pay more for a carrier that's honest with thier pricing. $x for the data plan, unless you're using this one specific hot phone in which case it's more is crap.

I'll deal with someone else.

And even if they weren't, I'd rather pay more for a carrier that's honest with thier pricing.
If you think a phone carrier is "honest" I have some great swamp land for sale down in the Sunshine State

Very nice breakdown of current plan pricing, even if you add the $10 for the Evo, Sprint still comes below Verizon and ATT.

cell-phone-plans.png

Link

If you think a phone carrier is "honest" I have some great swamp land for sale down in the Sunshine State

Very nice breakdown of current plan pricing, even if you add the $10 for the Evo, Sprint still comes below Verizon and ATT.

Verizon 450mins Talk + SmartPhone Data ~= $70
Sprint 450mins Talk + SmartPhone Data ~= $70 + $10 Evo charge.

I don't care about texts. Most months I send/receive in the single digits. Verizon charging me 20 cents per message there is like $2 a month. Or I just disable texts and tell people to email/IM me.

Sprint's pricing is ahead because they don't rape you as badly for unlimited texts. Other than that they're the same.

Personally I really like tmobiles unsubsidized no-contract plan. Wish other carriers offered something similar.

how is sprint not honest? they have been mostly upfront about the charge despite the launch confusion which is to be expected to a degree. its not a hidden fee. they can call it whatever they want, people would still complain about it. we'll see what happens with other 4g phones.

how is sprint not honest? they have been mostly upfront about the charge despite the launch confusion which is to be expected to a degree. its not a hidden fee. they can call it whatever they want, people would still complain about it. we'll see what happens with other 4g phones.

I'd be ok with it if it was an optional 4G fee and without it the phone was limited to 3G. I'd simply do without it for now, and if I decided I wanted 4G access (I do live in an area with it) I'd then pay the extra fee for access to the extra network.

However it's not. It's an extra monthly fee for the phone itself.

They're trying to sell the fee as being for 4G when instead it's an attempt to raise thier prices without changing what's advertised. To me that's dirty.

Someone explained it to me this way....they're adding $10 for the Evo not because of the 4G but because of the extra data rates from the 720 video, 8mp camera, etc,etc that will hammer their network just like the iPhone did.

Verizon 450mins Talk + SmartPhone Data ~= $70
Sprint 450mins Talk + SmartPhone Data + Unlimited messaging ~= $70 + $10 Evo charge.

Fixed, you may not need or like texting but comparing those 2 plans is stupid, the sprint one is obviously a better deal.

It should also be pointed out that verizons unlimited data does not cover tethering at all.

VZW said:
These features cannot be used to tether your device to laptops, personal computers or other devices for any purpose other than syncing of data; any other use is not permitted using these features.

Where as that $80 plan with the EVO does.

You can bet your ass when 2.2 hits verizon phones the wireless hotspot will cost you extra.

Fixed, you may not need or like texting but comparing those 2 plans is stupid, the sprint one is obviously a better deal.

It should also be pointed out that verizons unlimited data does not cover tethering at all.

Where as that $80 plan with the EVO does.

You can bet your ass when 2.2 hits verizon phones the wireless hotspot will cost you extra.

Well Verizon also states that the Droid "isn't capable" (at least that's what the rep said when I bought my Droid at the beginning of the year) of tethering right now too and we all know that PdaNet in the market is free and people have been using it since launch with no issues, including billing. Same story with WiFi tether that rooted users have had since the Droid has been rooted. So the tethering argument is moot.

Also, I wouldn't "bet your ass" that Verizon will charge for the native WiFi tethering in 2.2. They've been letting Palm Pre+ users have the same feature on their phones for the last few months with no extra charge. It's possible since there's exponentially more Droid users than Pre+ they might want to charge for it, but there's no telling given how they've treated it so far.

Iphone .. is only worth it if you plan on jailbreaking.

What JB apps make it so critical and completely awesome? Backgrounder is one I use, albeit infrequently; other than changing my carrier name and so on, I'm unaware of any real functionality that isn't available through App Store apps now. Except Wi-Fi Syncing.

Sprint 69.99 plan
-Unlimited data
-Unlimited calls to cell phones (any carrier)
-Unlimited Text
-Unlimited Web
-GPS
-450 LANDLINE minutes

Verizon 69.99 plan
-Awful

Go ahead and pay 110 for the unlimited data and talk plan on verizon. Don't forget to add in that 30$ charge for smartphones.

Can't wait for the 4g :)

When I cross-priced verizon and sprint I found that, at least for the plans I'm interested in, the prices were pretty dang similar.

And even if they weren't, I'd rather pay more for a carrier that's honest with thier pricing. $x for the data plan, unless you're using this one specific hot phone in which case it's more is crap.

I'll deal with someone else.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH !! AHAHAHA HAHHSHA

ok go pay more a month! ! HAHAHA LOL

i pay $109 a month for a 2 line family everything plan that includes "EVERYTHING !

oh and the kicker is i will be roaming on your verizon network while you pay more $$ hahahahah

I'm going to be adding 2 evo's bringing it up to $129.99 for 2 lines with everything and 2 awesome phones

where can you get a better deal than that ?

oh and i will be roaming your verizon network ! HAHHA

Back