HTC 11 is Better than S8 in 5 Ways...But...

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
Android Central tells us five things that the HTC U11 does better than the Samsung Galaxy S8.

And then some other dude at Android Central tells us why that crappy list of 5 things is meaningless as the Galaxy S8 is the best.

Check out the videos.

HTC U 11: faster performance, better camera, audio, might be cheaper
Galaxy S8: better amoled screen, better accessories due to better sales, smaller bezel, new aspect ratio, headphone jack

Subjectively, the HTC U11 is better looking with the liquid metal. Both are good choices with latest Snapdragon 835 chip and Bluetooth 5.0.

One has TouchWiz and a bunch of forced Kit-Kat era apps. The other might not be perfect, but it's at least a step up in the software department.

I could love the S8 except for the stuff Samsung has running all of the time. After disabling a whole bunch of stuff, it's fairly smooth again, but it's not really what I would expect from the hardware. There's also a bad crackle on anything not-APTX bluetooth that I only ever get on Samsung (my Note 2, S7, S7 Edge, and S8 all evidence it), which makes listening to music in my car suck. Only happens with Samsung devices. They have a pretty serious talent in making amazing hardware feel like 3 year old hardware from anyone else.

I wonder how he will still like his s8 after 6 months roll around and updates stop or become infrequent. Second biggest complaint I have with them after their bloat ware, on top of the carriers.

I made it 4 minutes into the 2nd video and couldn't watch anymore. That guy did everything but kiss and make love to that damn phone. Maybe he did, didn't watch it all. LOL

One has TouchWiz and a bunch of forced Kit-Kat era apps. The other might not be perfect, but it's at least a step up in the software department.

Welp...I beg to differ on that opinion.
I have the S8, and aside from Bixby it's an overall decent phone. Sure the assgoblin Sprint forces their crapware on the handset, but that's easily mitigated. Overall I am impressed with the design, feel and functionality of the unit. Sure the Fingerprint sensor is in a stupid position, however...I can use Iris/face unlock, and using samsung pay is simple smooth and quick. It feels nice in my baby gorilla hands and has a tremendous battery life. I was on the fence of upgrading to the S8(Mainly due to the unforgivable ignorance and arrogance of Google regarding the bluetooth nag high volume screen...WTF Goog I'm driving and can't look at your nanny screen---also don't BT head units control their own volume?-ass) But I digress, I'm glad I got it everything but Bixby is a pleasure to use.

Welp...I beg to differ on that opinion.
I have the S8, and aside from Bixby it's an overall decent phone. Sure the assgoblin Sprint forces their crapware on the handset, but that's easily mitigated. Overall I am impressed with the design, feel and functionality of the unit. Sure the Fingerprint sensor is in a stupid position, however...I can use Iris/face unlock, and using samsung pay is simple smooth and quick. It feels nice in my baby gorilla hands and has a tremendous battery life. I was on the fence of upgrading to the S8(Mainly due to the unforgivable ignorance and arrogance of Google regarding the bluetooth nag high volume screen...WTF Goog I'm driving and can't look at your nanny screen---also don't BT head units control their own volume?-ass) But I digress, I'm glad I got it everything but Bixby is a pleasure to use.

I've always liked Samsung's hardware (at least when not catching on fire), but the only way I'd get one is if I could be assured to be able to install a custom ROM.

My Samsung GS3 was fantastic once I put Cyanogenmod on it.

Android Central is basically Samsung Central. They have 1 or 2 non-bias editors, but the rest are just as bad as their sister site iMore with their bias for iPhones. The HTC U11 is an amazing device though and should hopefully put HTC back on the map again.. Unfortunately their marketing of it is garbage still... a far cry from their "you" campaign from the 2000's, and sadly no US carrier is selling what could possibly be the best phone of the year in their stores. Oh and that camera.... DxOMark gave the U11 their highest rating for a phone EVER, dethroning the Google Pixel with higher image quality across the spectrum.... don't see that anywhere on Android Centrals site, instead they claim the S8 is better in their unscientific test that goes against nearly every other professional camera testers verdict.

I've always liked Samsung's hardware (at least when not catching on fire), but the only way I'd get one is if I could be assured to be able to install a custom ROM.

My Samsung GS3 was fantastic once I put Cyanogenmod on it.

Exactly!
As I "officially" own this phone, (last one was a lease...WTF its a phone not a car) This one will be quickly rooted and once a stable ROM with features is out I'll slap it on it. I was thinking long and hard about going to either a HTC U11 or iPhone whatever, but after playing with crapple for a moment I decided against. Last HTC product I owned was a diamond touch...and that was not all that good, so it's the devil one knows and all that.

I ordered an unlocked U11, today. Will be delivered tomorrow. I'll post comments/pics in the Smartphone thread.

Well... I pulled the trigger on the HTC 11 with Sprint. The days of my S5 are numbered. Like my S5, the fact you can unlock and root the HTC 11 seems to be easy task.

Donavon Hornbeck recently posted this informative and complimentary video.

When you view the video could you please give your attention to a software issue that he found annoying.
The HTC Sense Companion and HTC Alexa apps keep popping up all the time despite attempts to disable them (6:14) .

--> Request: Have you found a way to disable those two apps to prevent their popping up?

Update March 27, 2018: Please post any responses in the following thread: HTC Sense Companion and Alexa popups? thread

Last edited:
Donavon Hornbeck recently posted this informative and complimentary video.

When you view the video could you please give your attention to a software issue that he found annoying.
The HTC Sense Companion and HTC Alexa apps keep popping up all the time despite attempts to disable them (6:14) .

--> Request: Have you found a way to disable those two apps to prevent their popping up?

Ugh, that would drive me absolutely nuts. What are these people on that they think bullshit like this is what people want?

Back