HT on Dell Laptop with Windows 10

Hammer!

Limp Gawd
Hi, I have a Dell Latitude 5400 laptop with a i7-8665U CPU and HT is enabled in BIOS, but in Windows, it’s showing Cores: 4 and Logical Processors: 4.

I’ve googled a bunch, but can’t find any references to a setting within Windows to change this.

Has anyone seen this before and any idea how I can enable HT?

Thank you!

bios up to date?

Bios is up to date and HT is enabled in bios. also tried msconfig and number of processor box is unchecked and if I check it, I only see options for up to 4 processors (vs. 8 with HT).

It’s a work computer and so could it be that the image that was used for the hard drive is bad? But I can’t imagine windows on boot does not detect a HT capable cpu and adjust appropriately. Is there a registry setting or something? Another idea might be due to the Intel security flaws with HT, maybe it’s disabled on purpose? But I googled that and didn’t come up with anything.

It could be company policy.

Given it's a work computer, I'd ask them? The other suggestions I have mainly involve booting another OS to see if it is a setting (either another install of Windows, WinPE, Linux, live "CD," etc).

Bios is up to date and HT is enabled in bios. also tried msconfig and number of processor box is unchecked and if I check it, I only see options for up to 4 processors (vs. 8 with HT).

It’s a work computer and so could it be that the image that was used for the hard drive is bad? But I can’t imagine windows on boot does not detect a HT capable cpu and adjust appropriately. Is there a registry setting or something? Another idea might be due to the Intel security flaws with HT, maybe it’s disabled on purpose? But I googled that and didn’t come up with anything.
yeah ive never heard of an ITdept intentionally turning it off, i dont even know how to turn it off. only thing i have found so far is one post with the same problem on a 6700k and they had to install the intel chipset drivers to get it to show up properly. maybe try that, if IT doesnt have it locked down....

yeah ive never heard of an ITdept intentionally turning it off, i dont even know how to turn it off. only thing i have found so far is one post with the same problem on a 6700k and they had to install the intel chipset drivers to get it to show up properly. maybe try that, if IT doesnt have it locked down....
Just installed the latest intel chipset drivers and same issue...just can’t figure it out!

Just installed the latest intel chipset drivers and same issue...just can’t figure it out!
put the power plan to high performance and see what it says. there isnt any stupid dell power control software installed? maybe try cpu-z and see what it reads as. and then i'd talk to your it dept to see if they applied security patches to disable it.

Back