HSF recommendations for Socket AM2?

MechGeek

Limp Gawd
My X2 5600+'s CPU temperatures are a little on the high side. I'm running 2 instances of Prime95--one for each core--and the CPU is reporting 65-67C on large FFTs and 61-63C on small FFTs. Idle is in the high 30's/low 40's. Ambient is 21-22C.

I have a Zalman 7000 in my old rig but of course there's no adapter bracket for Socket AM2. I'd love another Zalman, but my motherboard's not on the 9x00 compatibility list...it has a heat pipe about an inch away from the stock heatsink.

I don't plan on overclocking it, but I'd like to get the temps down a few degrees anyway.

I use a Artic Cooler Freezer 64 Pro which is quiet and a pretty inexpensive when on sale-got my for about $21 shipped- you just have to worry about the height to see if it fits in your case. Best bang for the buck!

definately 2nd'ing the AC Freezer 64 Pro no issues at all with it, mounts to the standard am2 plate.. awesome for the price you pay

+1 for the artic cooler 64. Easily the best bang for the buck HS out there right now. Only downside (if you sff) is that its very big and wont fit inside a sff rig.

Scythe Ninja is excellent too. I just got the Rev. B (comes with nice quiet fan AND way easier to mount than rev. A) for $40+ship at the egg.

I would vote for Enzotech Ultra-X. Cooler's like Scythe Ninja or AC Freezer 64 are too large for my taste plus they don't move air accross the motherboard components. Not only does the Ultra-X take less space and moves some air over surrounding components because of it's low profile, it also cools better. Don't know about the price, though.

Back