HSF for Q6600?

Alright, I'm hoping to get a Q6600 from the For Sale section of the Hardforum.
Can anyone recommend a good HSF?
I may do some small overclocking, but just on air.
- Allen

Tuniq Tower 120. Great Great Cooler, my q6600 running at 3.4 right now idles at 24 and mid 30's under load

Alright, I'm hoping to get a Q6600 from the For Sale section of the Hardforum.
Can anyone recommend a good HSF?
I may do some small overclocking, but just on air.
- Allen

Tuniq Tower 120. Great Great Cooler, my q6600 running at 3.4 right now idles at 24 and mid 30's under load

I'll agree with the Tunig....but your not gonna be able to get into the FS section..:)

I'd go with true or xigma. I had a tuniq but got rid of it: it's just too bulky and blocked my nbrdige/8pn cpuc onnectior/ pwm heatsinks. I couldn't change out those parts and fans until I removed it entirely. I'm also getting much lower temps with true then I ever did with tuniq.

PC_User,
The Xigmatek definitely looks good. Do you use it?

I have the Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme, but the Xigmatek is definitely a good heatsink (according to several reviews) and is one of the best bang-for-the-buck coolers.

How loud is the Xigmatek fan?

RPM.............1000 - 2200 RPM
Air Flow........89.45 CFM (Max.)
Noise Level...30.1 dBA (Max.)

For 89.45 CFM (at 200rpm), I'd say that 30.1 is rather good. Too good to be true...

The fan isn't noticeable to me, but I'm also not very sensitive to noise so I can't really give you an accurate picture with regards to that.

Well fan speeds will also sound different in different environments.

The xigma is a good budget cooler. I'd look into the zalman 9900 (comes with 1366 bracket) and the noctua NH-12P(which can mount 2 120mm fans :D and also comes with 1366 bracket) if you want a beefier cooler that really puts out, even on a hot i7.

I'd look into the zalman 9900 (comes with 1366 bracket) and the noctua NH-12P(which can mount 2 120mm fans :D and also comes with 1366 bracket) if you want a beefier cooler that really puts out, even on a hot i7.
The Zalman CNPS9900 is hardly a beefier cooler than the HDT-S1283. In fact, it has worse performance while costing considerably more. The Noctua NH-U12P is an excellent cooler though.

huh...maybe there was just something wrong with my HDT-1283...
the noctua is pretty sick, yep. It barely fits (less than 2mm clearance to my side-panel) even in my wide ass TJ07. 2 120mm fans on a cpu cooler does get the job done in a major way.

Sunbeamtech CCF for the best value off Newegg right now. There is a mail-in rebate for $10. I'm running at 28C idle on a [email protected]. Load is under 50C.

If you're not interested in a rebate, go with the xigmatek 1283.

Thermalright 120 extreme here........I highly recomend it. Just make sure you have room

I have the Tuniq on my Q6600 since I got it back in 2007 Fry's black friday sale. I got the quad running @ 3.33ghz with temps from mid 30s idle and high 40s on a load. My ambient temps are 20-25c and I have a CM 590 case.

RPM.............1000 - 2200 RPM
Air Flow........89.45 CFM (Max.)
Noise Level...30.1 dBA (Max.)

For 89.45 CFM (at 200rpm), I'd say that 30.1 is rather good. Too good to be true...

I hear mine, but really. It's not that loud. Not much louder, if any than stock.

I also use a Tuniq Tower 120 with my Q6600 and would recommend it. My processor idles as high as 55C depending on the ambient temperature, but I think that is okay considering I have a fairly aggressive overclock and overvolt with a high average ambient; it still maintains it's distance from TjMax under load.

I am personnally using a Noctua NH-U9B, it works pretty good and very silent with a Noctua 90mm fan. I can't personnally comment on OC ability of this cooler (I know this is the point here :p) but I have no reason to believe it wouldn't be a good choice.

I love my OCZ Vendetta 2 HSF combination. Like the Xigmatek it uses direct heat pipe interface to the CPU. The product ocassionally shows up for sale less than the Xigmatek (was when I purchased it), so keep an eye open.

Here's an interesting review where they stack it against both an HDT-S1283 and a TRUE.

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=156&Itemid=1

The conclusion is interesting as they it won the pack and does again in the review posted. Granted all three are top notch coolers and the HDT-S1283 can be had for pretty cheap pricing.

Keep eyes open though for the OCZ Vendetta 2 on sale and it is a easy choice.

Back