HP ZV series: Athlon -> Turion upgrade?

RazorWind

Supreme [H]ardness
Ever since I first read about the Turions, I've been rolling this idea around...

I have an HP zv5320us that I bought in late 2004. The processor it came with, while officially sold as an "Athlon XP-M 3000+" gets reported by CPU-Z as a Newcastle-core Athlon64, but with only 256K of cache, like a Sempron, and also like a Sempron, it has had its 64 bit execution capability turned off and uses a socket 754 form factor.

This means that I have a laptop here that is at least mechanically compatible with a Turion64. Can anyone tell me if it's possible to upgrade this machine to a Turion? CPU-Z indicates that the motherboard is compatible with the necessary bus speeds, and can provide voltages to the processor that are at least in the appropriate range for a Turion. (It throttles back to about .95v, and goes full blast at ~1.4. I think the Turion uses 1.0 and 1.2, respectively)

It would be stupid easy to upgrade this thing if the motherboard is willing to play nice with it, but I can't tell if it would or not. CPU-Z indicates that the current processor is a "0" stepping, while everything I've read says that motherboards compatible with "E" stepping Athlon64s should be generally compatible with Turions. Anyone know of a way to check this?

generally, if you can find out if the machine will take a 90nm chip, itll work. Since i doubt HP is including 90nm support in BIOS upgrades.. unless theyre using the board in that thing for newer notebooks or something... you might be out of luck. Course, only way to find out is to throw one in there and find out. You might pick up a cheap as hell 90nm s754 sempron, throw it in there, and see if it boots.

Back