HP ZR30w

If it display 10.7 billion colors, then it have to be wide-gamut monitor...

not necessarily, the number only counts color variations, but not how different they are.
... but if I'd have to bet, I'd put my money on it probably being wide gamut.

Seems to be missing some features:

LED back light,
scaler,
HDMI 1.4,
3D capability.

On the plus side, it looks similar to my HP LP3065 which has been an excellent monitor.

On the plus side, it looks similar to my HP LP3065 which has been an excellent monitor.

Exactly. I'm really excited about this monitor. Led backlight would be nice, but we've yet to see that in a large monitor like this. All those other features you listed are IMO unnecessary.

HP's new ZR30w S-IPS LCD display has a color resolution of 30-bits per pixel, resulting in some 1.07 billion displayable colors. If you're keeping count, that's about 64 times as many as you can see on an average LCD.

The ZR30w has a 2560 x 1600 resolution—over 4 million pixels in all—though it's targeted towards small businesses (price: $1,299) which means that you're obligated to use that massive resolution for staring at even bigger, even more mind-numbing Excel spreadsheets.

The behemoth display has DisplayPort and DVI-D inputs as well as a 4-port USB hub built-in and is available now at HP. For full details on how great the internet could be looking right now, check the release below. [HP]

Adding to the already powerful lineup of HP Performance Displays, the 30-inch diagonal display provides 30-bits per pixel color resolution and 1.07 billion displayable colors, compared to 16.7 million colors available on most 30-inch diagonal panels.

Ideal for professionals in animation, game development, broadcast, design and graphic arts where accurate color is imperative, the HP ZR30w achieves more than 64 times the colors available on mainstream LCDs. With a wide gamut panel that covers 100 percent of sRGB and 99 percent of Adobe RGB, reds, blues and greens are visibly deeper.

"HP continues to drive innovation in the monitor space with solutions that push the boundaries of traditional panel technology," said Jun Kim, Vice President and General Manager, Display Business Unit, HP. "The HP ZR30w is the latest example of our commitment to provide customers with the technology they demand to push the limits of creativity and increase ROI."

The new HP ZR30w features 4.1 million pixels, to achieve maximum accuracy, and touts a resolution of 2560 x 1600 in a 16:10 aspect ratio and a 3000:1 dynamic contrast ratio, for brilliant visual performance.

Building on the HP ZR30w's wide viewing angles and outstanding visual performance technologies, the monitor is equipped with DisplayPort and DVI-D inputs, an integrated 4-port USB hub and an HP Quick Release(1) for simple out-of-the-box set up. The HP ZR30w enables maximum comfort and best visual positioning with a 6-way adjustable stand that provides tilt, swivel and height adaptability.

The performance monitor features a brushed aluminum industrial design that is complementary to HP's Z Workstations,(2) and uses a minimum of 25 percent post-consumer recycled resin. Additionally, the monitor houses a lower power panel and comes with an 85 percent efficient power supply.(3)

Pricing and availability

The HP ZR30w is available today for a starting price of U.S. $1,299.

And has anyone hooked up a console like an xbox 360 up to a monitor like this? The monitor seems intriguing, but i wanna make sure i can enjoy my console games before i make a decision :)

Works great on the Dell 3008WFP.

As for this one, the claim that it has no scaler makes kinda sense since it only has DVI-D and DisplayPort inputs - so in that case it won't work well with consoles.

Loved my lp3065 but eventually grew tired of the matte finish. Any word is this is any "softer" ?

The anandtech review mentions panel type: S-IPS/H2-IPS (CN401808T6 unknown manufacturer)
Any information on this? A new LG panel?

Does the lack of OSD functions mean that we cannot calibrate to sRGB? As it covers 111% of AdobeRGB should we expect "funny" colors in all non color-managed applications?

Anand Tech has posted a review. This thing was just announced and they have a review of it already, but they haven't reviewed the ZR24w or ZR22w even though people have been asking them for months.

Anyways, take this as you will. They recommend running with a brightness of 200 nits.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3754/a-new-30-contender-hp-zr30w-review

Edit: sorry for the double post of the review. Didn't see someone posted a link already.

Lack of OSD controls doesn't really matter since you set it up once and forget about it. Provided that the more advanced settings can be controlled/changed via DDC. (But the review wasn't clear on this part of the settings.)

Better than Dell 3008wfp?

Actually it looks more like the old Dell 3007-hc. Wide gamut, no scaler, no inputs that will accept a console. No sRGB emulation, Heck no OSD and no imaging controls AT ALL.

I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole. I would wait for Dell to release a U3011 with OSD/sRGB emulation/scaler/inputs (if they ever do).

This might be a dumb question but can I display my BIOS with this thing? It seems lame to drop $1200 on a 30" LCD and then have to keep around my 17" CRT just for when I want to view my BIOS.

I was also looking at the 3008wfp.

Last edited:
This might be a dumb question but can I display my BIOS with this thing? It seems lame to drop $1200 on a 30" LCD and then have to keep around my 17" CRT just for when I want to view my BIOS.

I was also looking at the 3008wfp.

Yes, your video card will take care of the scaling, just like it did for the older Dells that didn't have scalers.

Seems nice, spec wise also. Although an OSD would have been nice, but I can live without it. I'm just wondering about the quality of the panel, can only wait for reviews/users showing us.
Stop complaining about scalers, this isn't supposed to be used with a some console.

I'm planning on picking one up in the next couple of weeks.. I'll report back if someone else hasn't already gotten one.

Hmm... 10-bit color. So I need to use a 5800 series card & displayport for the best results?

Anandtech said:
That brings me to the scaler IC, which I believe is related to the lack of traditional OSD. I noticed while looking through the manual that HP notes a “safe mode” resolution of 1280x800 next to the recommended native resolution of 2560x1600. Notice anything interesting about those numbers?

Sure enough, using 1280x800 results in a pixel-doubled but full screen image. Other resolutions are scaled as well, but...
My emphasis.
So, I guess it has a scaler?

Hmm... 10-bit color. So I need to use a 5800 series card & displayport for the best results?

My emphasis.
So, I guess it has a scaler?

On 10 bit color: AFAIK it only works with professional class workstation graphics cards. EX: ATI FireGL. Then you need specialized software because software is all 8bit.

No it doesn't have a scaler. The graphics card is doing the scaling.

Should be ordering this week, I got a good contact at HP, hoping he comes through and gets me a deal.

I will do some kind of review if I can when I get it. (time allows)

Back