HP ZR30w

Ya the brightness is a concern I have. I run my monitor pretty low brightness. 130cd/m^2 is what I configure it for. I find that looks nice with a low backlight behind it. I don't know that I really want to turn it up more.

Reminds me of the movie "Sunshine". Do you get sunburn from all that light on your face? :D Totally jealous, man.

Question though: do you notice text looking different in vertical orientation? A long time ago I tried portrait orientation, but text looked bad so I switched back. From info I could find online it was because of the subpixel arrangement (R, G, and B) optimized to look good in landscape but not portrait. Do you notice anything like this with yours when, say, browsing?

Reminds me of the movie "Sunshine". Do you get sunburn from all that light on your face? :D Totally jealous, man.

Question though: do you notice text looking different in vertical orientation? A long time ago I tried portrait orientation, but text looked bad so I switched back. From info I could find online it was because of the subpixel arrangement (R, G, and B) optimized to look good in landscape but not portrait. Do you notice anything like this with yours when, say, browsing?

Yes, text becomes blurry if you go portrait with cleartype active. You have to turn cleartype off and adjust the font size, then it's not too bad.

Woooot! FedEx just brought my shit about 30 minutes ago.

Got it for $1093.30 shipped at Bottom Line Telecommunications, CostCentral and other places charge you tax in California making it around $1150 from what I saw.

Best part is it shipped Wednesday, I got it today lol, they have a warehouse in SoCal like 10 miles from me.

So out with the old, in with the new. I swear my gf will not even know I bought this, already boxed up the old one and threw it in the closet lol. Loving this resolution!
img0890v.jpg

Oh yea, most important part, 0 pixel defects as far as I can tell.

Last edited:
It's funny, I had to do a quick double take looking at your photo. For a second there it looked like you had a glossy reflection there on your ZR30w until I realized it's Metro2033 and your room doesn't have a big metal hatch in the background. ;)

It's funny, I had to do a quick double take looking at your photo. For a second there it looked like you had a glossy reflection there on your ZR30w until I realized it's Metro2033 and your room doesn't have a big metal hatch in the background. ;)

Haha, yea the flash makes it look like crap, but it does look amazing at 25x16. Had to put it in dx9 mode to get decent fps though, can't imagine having 3 of these lol.

Unfortunately Metro2033 seems to be a poorly coded game. It's graphical quality doesn't demand such a huge performance hit versus other FPS's IMO.

Unfortunately Metro2033 seems to be a poorly coded game. It's graphical quality doesn't demand such a huge performance hit versus other FPS's IMO.

Ya. In particular its speed seems to drop if you put it in DX11 mode, even with the same quality settings as DX9. That's not right, as you find most games are actually faster in DX11, with equal settings.

However it is a fun game, it just wants more hardware than it has good reason to.

Some games though it not implemented properly DX11 can slow it down significantly.

Last edited:
It looks kind of small on your desk, mine is coming in on monday so I will get to see it then.

I received mine from Newegg today. I was very happy to find that there are no dead pixels & no lighting issues. First impression -- the monitor is huge. Second impression -- the color is gorgeous. Thrid impression -- the monitor is really bright when a web page has a white background. Fourth impression -- the text is kind of small. I've already started messing around with the text size in Windows 7. I'm at 110% & that's better. I tried 125% & that was too large. I'll mess around some more to find a size I like. Overall I'm very happy with the monitor & can already see that it will be the last one for a long time. I can't imagine going any bigger. I'm also pleased with the monitor base -- it is very sturdy.

I always increase the text on 30" displays so I can sit a little further back comfortably.

Well mathematically speaking 113% would give you a size about the same as a 26" 16:10 monitor, which is generally a bit on the large size, 107% would give you a size about like a 24" 16:10 monitor which is fairly close to "normal". So 110% is a pretty good compromise.

Basically what you can do is if you have a monitor that looks "right" to you, go and look up it's DPI (or PPI same thing). Then take 101 (which is the DPI of your 30") divide it by that and multiply by 100. The result is the scaling percent to achieve the same look.

Also remember in Windows 7 you've got two kinds of scaling:

If you leave the "use windows xp font scaling" turned on, Windows orders the programs to scale up their interface elements and text. Some programs can have trouble with this, or flat out ignore it. If you turn it off, it uses the composition engine to simple brute force upscale anything that is not flagged as DPI aware. This means everything will look right, but may get blurry. All DPI aware apps are, of course, properly scaled in either mode.

Thanks for the information! It is definitely a compromise trying to get the text size just right without causing the icons & such to get too big. I think it is mostly just a matter of getting used to the monitor so I'm not going to mess with it for a while. Overall, it is a great monitor & I am happy with it.

received my monitor. How do I adjust colors? It seems to have greenish hue and the -/+ buttons only change brightness. Yes, I read the manual and can't find it.

received my monitor. How do I adjust colors? It seems to have greenish hue and the -/+ buttons only change brightness. Yes, I read the manual and can't find it.
Sounds like my dell u3011 which is supposed to be the same LG panel. I assume your whites show this green tint. Does it get better after the monitor warms up (maybe 5 minutes)?
To improve the white balance I think you have to edit the color profile from within the OS not using your on screen controls. Exact method depends upon your OS (and most instructions simply recommend using actual calibration hardware+software).

Sounds like my dell u3011 which is supposed to be the same LG panel. I assume your whites show this green tint. Does it get better after the monitor warms up (maybe 5 minutes)?
To improve the white balance I think you have to edit the color profile from within the OS not using your on screen controls. Exact method depends upon your OS (and most instructions simply recommend using actual calibration hardware+software).
thanks. I found color management in windows 7 using the search feature and loaded a profile from supplied HP cd rom and whites got much whiter but still a bit different than my other screens but I can live with this)
Here's picture of my setup
IMG_5083.jpg

Last edited:
Woooot! FedEx just brought my shit about 30 minutes ago.

Got it for $1093.30 shipped at Bottom Line Telecommunications, CostCentral and other places charge you tax in California making it around $1150 from what I saw.

Best part is it shipped Wednesday, I got it today lol, they have a warehouse in SoCal like 10 miles from me.

So out with the old, in with the new. I swear my gf will not even know I bought this, already boxed up the old one and threw it in the closet lol. Loving this resolution!
img0890v.jpg

Oh yea, most important part, 0 pixel defects as far as I can tell.
I have an I-INC 28" (3 of them actually, eyefinity + 5870). I-INC 28" LCDs are basically the same as your Hannsg 28". I'm considering upgrading to ZR30s.

So I'm wondering, wow does your Hannsg 28" compare to the ZR30? Color quality? Blacks? Any backlight bleed?

My Eyefinity setup so far (need to buy a bigger desk!)

IMG_0242.JPG

I've put very little seat time behind the zr30, only about 15 minutes of actual gaming, been playing F1 on my plasma during the brief free time I get these days. Does appear to have backlight bleed in the corners, but I'm not sure if it's just viewing angles from being so close to my monitor or what, cause if you put your head level with the corners, then the black screen looks normal in one corner, but worse in the others.

Not really impressed with the black levels, though what LCD truly does?. Did notice increased lag in the brief round of UrbanTerror I played(Q3 engine fast paced fps). Was harder to hit people that were moving quickly.

Colors looks good, resolution for a single monitor is awesome.

I've done 0 adjustments to color or any tweaks that may be possible to improve iq. Just haven't had time, game room is a complete mess.

I've put very little seat time behind the zr30, only about 15 minutes of actual gaming, been playing F1 on my plasma during the brief free time I get these days. Does appear to have backlight bleed in the corners, but I'm not sure if it's just viewing angles from being so close to my monitor or what, cause if you put your head level with the corners, then the black screen looks normal in one corner, but worse in the others.

Not really impressed with the black levels, though what LCD truly does?. Did notice increased lag in the brief round of UrbanTerror I played(Q3 engine fast paced fps). Was harder to hit people that were moving quickly.

Colors looks good, resolution for a single monitor is awesome.

I've done 0 adjustments to color or any tweaks that may be possible to improve iq. Just haven't had time, game room is a complete mess.

Are you sure you are not viewing the white IPS glow? All IPS have a certain white glow when viewed from certain angles. What do you mean by increased lag; input lag or ghosting? What monitor are you comparing it against? There are very few monitors that have lower input lag than the ZR30w. Need more specifics.

Are you sure you are not viewing the white IPS glow? All IPS have a certain white glow when viewed from certain angles. What do you mean by increased lag; input lag or ghosting? What monitor are you comparing it against? There are very few monitors that have lower input lag than the ZR30w. Need more specifics.

Could be IPS glow. I'm not viewing from an angle, just a close distance to the display so I guess that would give me a sharper angle towards the edges of the screen. This is my first IPS monitor.

Comparing it to my i-inc 28". It's TN and 2 or 3ms response gtg fwiw, never looked into the input lag. I notice a slight input lag with the zr30. Again this is in a very fast paced fps game, where you can build up speed like in q3 just by jumping around. That's when it seems the mouse is lagging when trying to track players moving at a high speed.

I'm sure it won't be noticeable in most games, especially sp. I don't play competitively anymore so its not a big concern, but I don't think I'd be able to hang in invite tier with this monitor.

Sweet man, if you get the chance to compare them any more I would love to hear it. I mostly play BC2, FF14, Dirt2, and F1 2010. Did the colors really pop out, compared to the 28" because it was a TN? Was there really that noticeable of a difference? Emotion man! We need to hear it!

Well pictures speak louder than words :). Both at default settings in CCC. Yes the colors on the ZR30w (right) are way more vivid, you can see in the pic how washed out the I-Inc (left) looks.

img0911w.jpg

Backlighting though I don't know wtf? It doesn't look as bad to the naked eye as it does in the pics, but I think it looks worse than the I-Inc. Maybe mine is fucked up?

img0912e.jpg

ZR30w:
img0913m.jpg

I-Inc 28":
img0914bp.jpg

Also I know they have that LED 28" I-Inc out now, mine is the older version without LED with 800:1 contrast ratio if you have the newer ones. No dead/stuck pixels on the HP though, both my I-Incs have stuck pink pixels.

Wow, the colors of the lake shot are so different. I'm so used to a TN panel, I could have guessed that the colors look wrong on the IPS panel. Are those rocks really that burnt orange/red? Your screen does seem a bit red or is that just me? *shrugs*

I do agree with you about the backlight, the 28" does seem to handle it a bit better, but only slightly. The only problem I have with my panels, are that the contrast ratio and viewing angle suck so much for such a large screen, and some dark scenes in games appear negative instead of just straight black. I was playing dragon age the other day and some of the dark clothes my characters were wearing appeared to be negative. It's weird, and annoying. I'm hoping a IPS panel will solve that.

Thank you very much for those pics. Any chances you could get some gaming comparison pics? 1280x800 is understandable, considering the zr30 having no scaler. I'm just interested in differences in color quality and contrast ratio.

Again, Thanks!!!

Last edited:
(I see where it says edit/delete message, but can't find delete anywhere, help?)

Last edited:
Wow, the colors of the lake shot are so different. I'm so used to a TN panel, I could have guessed that the colors look wrong on the IPS panel. Are those rocks really that burnt orange/red? Your screen does seem a bit red or is that just me? *shrugs*

Thats what wide gamut gets you...
The image and the left monitor is sRGB and the ZR30W is wide gamut and the image is not translated to reflect that. Thus you get oversaturated colors. The left image is much truer to the real image and the colors on the ZR30W are wrong.

The gamut has nothing to do with the panel-type. So eventhough the IPS shows wrong colors it shows the wrong colors with more accuracy than the TN panel shows the right colors.

I've always wondered about that, and with that picture and your explanation it makes sense now. Thanks. What's to do about that? Calibration for sRGB?

Calibration can't fix it.

You have to use either an sRGB mode in the monitor (which often sucks and ZR30W monitor lacks altogether) or you have to use applications (such as photoshop) that are gamut aware and can translate the colors so that they become right.

Or you could play around with the graphic card settings and tone down the saturation, not sure how well that works though (and not all graphic cards support it? Only existed in ATi cards if I remember correctly but that was some time ago so it might have changed).

Last edited:
Thats what wide gamut gets you...
The image and the left monitor is sRGB and the ZR30W is wide gamut and the image is not translated to reflect that. Thus you get oversaturated colors. The left image is much truer to the real image and the colors on the ZR30W are wrong.

The gamut has nothing to do with the panel-type. So eventhough the IPS shows wrong colors it shows the wrong colors with more accuracy than the TN panel shows the right colors.

That is a big assumption. Do you have a photograph or something of the original image to compare the background to on both monitors? Just because a TN panel can only reproduce a small color scale doesn't mean it's accurate colors.

I have a few TN panels here that for as much over-saturated from the original the ZR30w is, the TN's are washed out and life-less compared to the original image on the other end of the scale.

Meh. My LP2475 looks oversaturated even after calibration with my i1display .... until I drop digital vibrance to 40% in Nvidia control panel. It USED to be a problem, when only ATI offered the vibrance/saturation slider; but now that green is up to speed I no longer consider wide gamut a drawback.

Last edited:
Argh!!! I was supposed to wait until Black Friday and see if there were any specials... but I was not able to wait and just ordered from compsource for $1,061.

Lets see what's all the fuss about this :)

That is a big assumption. Do you have a photograph or something of the original image to compare the background to on both monitors? Just because a TN panel can only reproduce a small color scale doesn't mean it's accurate colors.
It is a big assumption, but I think quite a reasonable one given the known characteristics of wide-gamut panels - I saw exactly the same effect on the LP2475W I had briefly before returning it (for other reasons). Unlike the poster above, I was never able to fix things to my satisfaction, whatever I did with my graphics card settings (ATI).

I guess you'd need to see the original scene itself to be 100% sure - if the image was captured and processed using exclusively wide-gamut equipment and software then it's probably "correct" on a wide-gamut display, but the red content in particular looks seriously unnatural and overblown to me.

lol my bad. My digital camera blows, doesn't accurately capture colors, at least in darkness not using flash. Looking at the picture I took and the images on the screen, the colors are way off, especially on the HP. The colors don't look even close to as contrast between the monitors irl.

Now I can't find that same background, but here's a pic taken with my HTC incredible of others. I did no changes to any settings on either monitor or graphics drivers, simply switched cameras. But even on the image of the flower, the camera picks up neither even close to what they look like in person. Both look deep red throughout the flower, like the HP looks on the right of it.

So I guess taking pics isn't a good idea unless you have a nice one, but even then the image will also look different on other people's different monitors.

If you can find a link to that same background I used originally I'd like to take another pic with my phone.

Close to ordering one of these from ShopBLT (I bought a few Intel 160GB G2 SSDs from them last year and their service was outstanding) but I'm just curious what the overall dead/stuck pixel rate is on these. Everyone seems to have zero problems so far, but my luck is such that I'm bound to have a problem.

Anyone have an idea what ShopBLT's return/exchange issue is? Or did anyone get one of these monitors with bad/stuck pixels? What's HP's policy on that? Curious and would appreciate any response.

So I guess taking pics isn't a good idea unless you have a nice one, but even then the image will also look different on other people's different monitors.

Ya monitor pics aren't much use other than to say "Cool monitor." They can show off how the physical monitor its self looks nicely, and how it looks in your setup, but onscreen pictures aren't a lot of use, particularly for colour. For one you have to have a camera that can accurately capture them. Now those do exist, in fact cameras have wider gamuts than monitors in many cases, but they have to be high end. Second you have to take the picture right to capture the colours accurately, which takes some knowledge and work. However once you've done all that, it is still useless unless you post in the image in a properly colour managed format AND the person who views it has a colour managed system. Even then they can only see the perceptual difference, not the real colours unless thier monitor can also reproduce them.

Close to ordering one of these from ShopBLT (I bought a few Intel 160GB G2 SSDs from them last year and their service was outstanding) but I'm just curious what the overall dead/stuck pixel rate is on these. Everyone seems to have zero problems so far, but my luck is such that I'm bound to have a problem.

Anyone have an idea what ShopBLT's return/exchange issue is? Or did anyone get one of these monitors with bad/stuck pixels? What's HP's policy on that? Curious and would appreciate any response.

I've bought 3x ZR30w's, none of them had stuck/dead pixels. Although, one did have a pixel sized defect on the polarizer layer. HP chalked that up to a manufacture defect and sent me out a brand new one and it was here in a few days. I was amazed at how well HP handled the replacement. They even sent me a pre-paid return label for the old one!

Back