HP ZR30w or Dell 3011?

As the thread title states which is better? All i well be useing this for is FPS games an i would like a 30incher! Thanks for all your input! Brian

From all the research i've done so far (i'm looking for the same thing) the ZR30w is a better choice due to the lower input lag. What kind of graphics setup are you planning on using with it?

I just posted a thread about input lag, specifically comparing the U3011 vs. the ZR30w. Is ghosting really that noticeable, or is this a thing that a videophile would pick up on but someone playing MMORPGs and not FPS games would really notice?

They are both amazing displays so I say go for the cheaper of the two. I've had good experiences with both dell and hp support so they tie there for me as well. Better price wins out

It isn't ghosting necessarily, its input lag, so you move the mouse and it doesn't register the command as fast.

I have used the Dell 3007-3008-3011, all are good monitors but they definitely feel slightly slower than the ZR30W that I now own. They use the same panel so color quality will be about the same, though you can only change the color on the zr30 in the graphics card control panel rather than on the OSD itself.

If you are dead set on using it specifically for gaming I'm putting my vote for the ZR30W, it is a no nonsense monitor that will do you well assuming you have the graphics to push it.

HP, for sure. I tried the Dell and returned it due to a harsh anti glare coating. Got the HP and really like it. Less obtrusive AG and it feels quite responsive.

pretty sure they share AG coating as they're the same panel 0.o

Yup; if anything, I'd say my ZR30w's is slightly 'harsher' than the U3011. I use the HP at home for gaming, and the Dell at work.

My pick was due to input lag measurements of course- the lack of an OSD and other inputs is a non-issue if you're only going to use it with a computer. If you need perfectly accurate colors, get a Spyder 3 or similar calibrator; I did this because I also use it to process photos from my 60D.

ZR30w has low input lag because there's no scaler, so that would be better for competitive fps gaming. But I've also heard that the u3011's (and 3008wfp's) scaler doesn't kick in unless the resolution is below 2560x1600. This was tested by someone who had a u3011 and 3007wfp and he moved a window up and down between the two and they lined up perfectly in time. A 3007wfp doesn't have a scaler either (I have 5 of these).

Both models are scheduled for an upgrade pretty soon. The U2711 was upgraded to LED with high gamut, where the U3011 is still on CFL and regular gamut because the color reproduction wasn't good enough yet to move to LED. I think the next model will be LED with high gamut, or at least LED with 100% normal gamut colors.

I would wait or get the U2711 now instead. The power difference is quite significant between the CFL and LED especially in the summer when your room is hot.

I would wait or get the U2711 now instead. The power difference is quite significant between the CFL and LED especially in the summer when your room is hot.

This is serious business to me. My computer room fries in the summer. It's also why I'm hoping OLED will be awesomely efficient and computer monitors will be made sooner rather then later! My P-L-P setup plus a Sony 46" LCD TV make the need for an always on huge a$$ AC unit a must. :(

I went with the Zr30w. Not as many connection options but better for gaming and the wallet.

I went with the Zr30w. Not as many connection options but better for gaming and the wallet.

Seems like every time I look at these two monitors this one comes up as "better for gaming because of less input lag."

Basically what it comes down to?

I'm sure they're both excellent monitors.

I just went with a ZR2740w, bought it last night on Newegg. Basically the HP monitors have lower latency because of the lack of OSD. You can't change any of the color, brightness only, but most say it comes looking pretty damn good right out of the box. If you are looking for a 30 I'd wait until they are refrshed, but the ZR2740w is a W-LED backlit refresh and I doubt it's going anywhere anytime soon, so I'd consider it a good option. I liked the asthetics of the Dell exterior more, but I'd much rather have lower response time.

Seems like every time I look at these two monitors this one comes up as "better for gaming because of less input lag." Basically what it comes down to?
Pretty much. Dell has more inputs, if you want to plug in an HDMI source or something. That won't work at all on the HP.

^ Not that simple. The HDMI won't pass a dual-link signal. You need an active hdmi -> DisplayPort or DVI converter - those run $150.

I didn't try to say that you could use 2560x1600 on HDMI. It's evident that you would be limited to 1920x1080.

^ I'm saying it can't display any image from an HDMI source, regardless of resolution. I've got a ZR30w and ZR2740w right now, neither one of them will show an image through HDMI -> DVI. I've tried a variety of cables/adapters. One of the limitations of having no internal scaler. Do a Google search for ZR30w and xbox.

That said, this guy seems to have gotten his xbox to work with the zr2740w. Which makes sense, since 1280x720 would be half the native resolution. I've not had as much luck (but I've been trying to connect a tivo, not an xbox.) I haven't seen anyone get an HDMI source working on the ZR30w.

Yup; if anything, I'd say my ZR30w's is slightly 'harsher' than the U3011. I use the HP at home for gaming, and the Dell at work.

My pick was due to input lag measurements of course- the lack of an OSD and other inputs is a non-issue if you're only going to use it with a computer. If you need perfectly accurate colors, get a Spyder 3 or similar calibrator; I did this because I also use it to process photos from my 60D.

I own a Dell U3011 which has received a new revision(REV A07) recently and comparing it with the previous REV A05 which I owned before, I can say the AG coating is much less! from the first moment I turned it on I new something was different! whites don't have that dirty sandy look anymore! games are just simply more stunning.

My HDMI can do 1920x1200. That should not be a problem.
HDMI from what source?

I hooked the zr30w up to my PC (radeon 6870) via HDMI-> DVI for giggles.
It would do 1280x800 max, 1280x720 with black bars at top and bottom.

Also hooked up a DVD player with HDMI out (selectable 1080p, 1080i, 720p, 480)
- zr30w wouldn't sync up on any output
- zr2740w displayed an image on 720p output. Not sure why it won't work with the tivo (also forced to 720.)

My only real point was, some people buying a 30" monitor want it to serve double duty for blu-ray/console/whatever. In that case the Dell is a better choice, since it seems to be a big YMMV getting the 30" HP to work with other sources. If you only care about using it with a PC, get the HP.

I owned both and the HP AG was less noticeable, to me at least.

I've used both monitors and they are equally nice, if I had to pick one or the other it would be the dell because of the button design and the anti glare. As for input lag you wont notice it on most games unless you are playing counter strike or something that requires precision reflex mouse movement, and even on counter strike you wont notice it unless you are playing esea with professionals.

I've used both monitors and they are equally nice, if I had to pick one or the other it would be the dell because of the button design and the anti glare. As for input lag you wont notice it on most games unless you are playing counter strike or something that requires precision reflex mouse movement, and even on counter strike you wont notice it unless you are playing esea with professionals.

Certainly, the vast majority of people today has a TFT. So the delta between both lags is less than between the Dell and a CRT. And it is a lot more responsive than TVs (for example, my 32 inch TV I think measured 60 ms of input lag while calibrating Guitar Hero, that's a HUGE input lag).

Back