HP ZR2740w - 27" IPS - 2560x1440

imo if it can be fed by an xbox in any capacity, it's a must buy for me.

HDMI -> DVI cable should make 360 work since the monitor doesn't have any fancy internal processing, but don't quote me on it.

can someone post pics of their zr2740w?

Forgive the picture quality I know it's horrible, stupid phone :/

IMG_20111104_132601.jpg

:D

I thought this monitor was pretty good but compared it with the Samsung SA850 which I also bought, and the Samsung won for picture quality.

could someone with this monitor plug an xbox into it with a passive adapter and report back on what happens? thanks!!!

The monitor has no scaler. I'm 99% sure it won't work. If you can't feed it a signal that is natively 2560x1440 it probably won't display.

I have been using it for a few days. I love it. colors are great.

And with overdrive to max in CCC it actually cuts the blur in half. Pretty decent even for FPS games like TF2 etc.

Also input lag must be very good, because I didn't notice a difference coming from a fast TN.

No scaler equals no electronics lag, just the lag of response time.

I thought this monitor was pretty good but compared it with the Samsung SA850 which I also bought, and the Samsung won for picture quality.

Yes, but the Samsung needs about 10 times the amount of internal bracing that it has. They tried to make it too thin and it is flimsy.

The monitor has no scaler. I'm 99% sure it won't work. If you can't feed it a signal that is natively 2560x1440 it probably won't display.

According to TFTCentral it does have a scaler, but doesn't offer any aspect ratio or 1:1 options.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/content/hp_zr2740w.htm#gaming

All inputs will be interpolated to fill the screen unless you have a way to control the aspect ratio via the graphics card or specific input device.

If it didn't have a scaler at all they wouldn't have been able to take a photo of interpolated text from upscaled 1080p.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/content/hp_zr2740w.htm#office

yah, like the zr30w it has only a very very rudimentary scaler. in the hp documentation the only modes it lists as supported are native and 1/2 native (pixel doubled). the zr30w could additionally scale most resolutions in a rudimentary way, but crucially, did not speak HDMI or single-link dvi at all -- HDMI and single link DVI sources would only give a black screen. the only way to display such sources was active conversion to displayport or dual-link dvi.

basically, my question for any owners is whether their driving electronics have been updated to "fix" this (like the zr2440w was updated to do 1:1 correctly from the zr24w). imo it should be at most a minor bugfix to get the monitor to internally accept a single-link dvi feed.

that said, i realized last night that i could have been driving my current 1600x1200 non-hdcp panel with the xbox via vga this entire time. SIGH

According to TFTCentral it does have a scaler, but doesn't offer any aspect ratio or 1:1 options.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/content/hp_zr2740w.htm#gaming

If it didn't have a scaler at all they wouldn't have been able to take a photo of interpolated text from upscaled 1080p.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/content/hp_zr2740w.htm#office

Not a problem when connected to a computer, as the video card can scale it.

Without aspect ratio control and the ability to use a single link cable, I doubt it's going to work without some sort of external scaler box.

For this get the Dell U2711, as this will work 100%.

Edit: Or the Samsung S27A850 as this unit will also do PS3 or Xbox 360 over HDMI to DVI properly as well.

Last edited:
Not a problem when connected to a computer, as the video card can scale it.

What would be the point of TFTCentral showing an image of text interpolation in their monitor review if the scaling was being done by the GPU?

Your reasoning doesn't make sense.

What would be the point of TFTCentral showing an image of text interpolation in their monitor review if the scaling was being done by the GPU?

Your reasoning doesn't make sense.

It's not my reasoning, it's what they show as monitor interpolation :D

Here's the manual, which took forever to find thanks to HP and their great website(s):

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c02980176.pdf

Check page 49. So it looks like it has no real scaler except a simple pixel multiplier. I am surmising it needs a dual-link DVI-D or DP connection or it won't work. Well, not surmising, because the product page says it does ;)

Explain to me how else they can do 1920x1080 on a screen that only supports three pre-set video modes of 2560x1400 (typo according to the manual, heh), 1280x720 and 640x480 can support 1920x1080?

Oh, and here is the "rip her apart because you are a re-cycler" manual too:

http://www.hp.com/hpinfo/globalciti...tiCountry/disassembly_monito_201197235232.pdf

well my 2740 shows up today, so i will play around with this scaler and let yall know

dual-link dvi port -> single-link dvi cable -> 2740 no signal
dp -> 1l-dvi -> 2740 @ either 800x600 or 1280x720
dp -> 2740 glorious 2560x1440

don't have a long enough hdmi cable to test hdmi yet, but i suspect it doesn't speak hdmi at all..

color:

epic backlight control. extremely linear and ridiculously wide range of brightnesses. no buzz at all. incredibly stable

i1match can't get the color temp right. will have to try a different piece of calibration software (using i1 display 2)

Last edited:
hdmi is compatible with dvi single-link, which the monitor wouldn't display.

i'll have an xbox in a week or so, will try again then

1l = single link

i used a passive dp to single link dvi converter with a single link dvi cable. it displayed but only gave me the lower two resolution options

note that this is all with GPU scaling OFF. so, there are exactly three resolution options that the EDID claims to support: 800x600, 720p, and native.

also i probably shouldn't need to say this, but the panel itself is very very nice looking

1l = single link

i used a passive dp to single link dvi converter with a single link dvi cable. it displayed but only gave me the lower two resolution options

Then you can't assume that HDMI -> single link DVI won't display with 360 set to 720p output.

ok, i've dug up an hdmi cable and a passive hdmi -> 2l dvi adapter anddd

it works! i get 720p from my video card hdmi to the dvi port. guess it will likely work after all. :D

i suspect those clever fellows at HP have designed the perfect monitor :)

Anyone else having problems with blinking pixels, as seen on this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Duqq5L46HDw

I've got mine a few weeks ago, and it had blinking pixels in the same location as the video, got a replacement monitor and that one got the same problem.

The pixels are not blinking all the time, only in certain programs, like Google Chrome and Microsoft Remote Desktop Connection, and the problems seems to occur more often if colormode is set to 16-bit.

Im using the DisplayPort.

i haven't seen anything like this, but then again i can't figure out what's going on in that youtube video either -- it looks fine to me...

ok, i've dug up an hdmi cable and a passive hdmi -> 2l dvi adapter anddd

it works! i get 720p from my video card hdmi to the dvi port. guess it will likely work after all. :D

Good to hear. Thanks for testing all the different options! :)

I bought one from amazon. The display itself is wonderful, but the near complete lack of a scaler is disconcerting. I can't even see the bios.

yep, me neither. the asus uefi bios doesn't seem to do 800x600 right. i shot off a bug report via the asus bios thread

I just got mine. Pleased and upset simultaneously.

Pleased: Great picture, no dead pixels, backlight even.
Upset: Displayport works perfect. DVI-D from the GTX 260 = no video. Have installed/reinstalled drivers a million times with no luck.

Windows sees the monitor, identifies it, verified HDCP, no luck.
Have tried it solo, no luck.

:(

Are you using the supplied dvi cable and have you checked you're using a dual link dvi output and cable?

Yes and yes and ive tried others.

Did more troubleshooting, DVI port is DOA. RMA time.

Monitor is great via DP though

I'm in the market to get one of these. Whats the best current price (any coupons /discount or BF deals coming up?

The Cheapest i found is on BUY.com for $681

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
question. i'm considering the HP zr2740w. i'm wondering if i'm going to have any problems seeing the post screens/bios/going into safemode. i want to get 3 of them, and don't want to have to hook up another monitor to troubleshoot if something should go wrong. someone said that the asus UEFI bios screen didn't show up.

i have a gigabyte z68 board but it doesnt have uefi and a twin frozer 560 Ti
not really doing the gaming thing right now. just want the resolution for work applications etc...

P8Z68-V here, UEFI.
I do not have a BIOS screen on boot; I've got a 2007FP in portrait mode next to I use for BIOS.

Can I put this screen in 1920x1080 or 1920x1440 ?

not that i can tell

the only bios-friendly resolution it does is 800x600. the asus uefi doesn't seem to work at this resolution. ymmv on everything else.

A warning to everyone, if you buy this monitor (or probably anything) direct from HP, it arrives broken, you decide to return it for a refund, they will not refund the shipping. SOB's stole $40 from me.

A warning to everyone, if you buy this monitor (or probably anything) direct from HP, it arrives broken, you decide to return it for a refund, they will not refund the shipping. SOB's stole $40 from me.

If you asked for a refund, the fact that the monitor arrived broken is irrelevant.

Back