HP ZR24w

It's a good thing this forum has the ability to search:
http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1035569644&postcount=1147

No need to read the whole thing. It sounds like you can hook up an xbox 360 but it will not display 1:1 and will stretch the screen a bit. Sucks imo. But I do love my ZR24w!

He's owes you one :p

I love this monitor too its even better once you calibrate it.

And yes if you use a console there is no 1:1 so that will suck but thats what I bought a TV for.

The Dell will be better for a console but you will also have to deal with its own issues.

Just got the monitor yesterday and it's...OK. Calibrated with the Spyder 3 Pro.

Definitely a step down in many respects versus the 20WMGX2 (I miss the glossiness, black levels, and there is definitely more ghosting on the HP), but I think the size is helping me get over that. Still, I'm slightly disappointed. Unfortunately there really aren't any better options :( Neither the U2410 or the other HP make any more sense. Bummer.

i'm using the monitor at stock settings so overdrive is turned off and have had no issues with ghosting at all and I play CS source alot.

But different set of eyes so your YMMV.

Before you calibrated did you set the monitor to its default settings?

I used a Spyder 3 express to do mine.

i'm using the monitor at stock settings so overdrive is turned off and have had no issues with ghosting at all and I play CS source alot.

But different set of eyes so your YMMV.

Before you calibrated did you set the monitor to its default settings?

I used a Spyder 3 express to do mine.

Good question about overdrive, I wonder if that's on. I didn't tweak the settings before I calibrated it, but I didn't do any kind of reset to default either. I thought it would come at defaults, but maybe I should have reset it.

It should have came at default settings but I know in the process of calibrating it does ask you to make sure the monitor has been reset. Was just checking to see if you changed some of the settings before doing it, some people do after using settings from other sites.

And yes overdrive is turned off by default on this monitor, you may want to try some FPS with it on and off too see if it makes a difference for you.

It should have came at default settings but I know in the process of calibrating it does ask you to make sure the monitor has been reset. Was just checking to see if you changed some of the settings before doing it, some people do after using settings from other sites.

And yes overdrive is turned off by default on this monitor, you may want to try some FPS with it on and off too see if it makes a difference for you.

I'll check out overdrive, though TFTCentral seemed less-than-thrilled with the results. We'll see.

My 19" CRT that I had been using for almost 10 years finally started dying last month so after weeks of research I decided to get one of these. It ticked all the boxes for me - 16:10, IPS, sRGB, low input/response time, mild AG coating.

I now realize that a lot of things are a compromise between different LCD's so I'm not too worried about the black level as I'll get used to it. Sitting two feet from the monitor I have a little bit of white glow in the bottom left corner and dark navy blue-ish in the bottom right, it doesn't really bother me and neither does the AG coating after getting used to it.

I just want to ask a few questions:

Are TFT Central's ICC profiles are worth using?
Should I use 80 or 100 contrast? (using 0 brightness)
Do ICC profiles change the values in the monitor or do I have to set them manually as well?
Do I have to select the profile in "device profile" drop-list of advanced color management as well as making it the system default?

What Nvidia scaling option should I use? (it's set to monitor scaling)
Does it matter that W7 has 59hz as the default refresh rate?

Thanks!

I'll check out overdrive, though TFTCentral seemed less-than-thrilled with the results. We'll see.

Just to follow up, no real changes. Double-checked and re-calibrated after resetting things to default, same results. Now that I haven't used the 20WMGX2 in a while though I'm getting used to the black levels/anti-glare, and I've also noticed that this monitor requires a little bit of warm up time before it's up and running so I think that improves my initial impressions. Having said that, the ghosting still isn't ideal. Oh well.

anyone use a different stand on their monitors? if so please post some pictures. i hate how the stock stand is hollow in the middle

contrast to 100 or 80 is not excessive for eyes ? when u read

Last edited:
contrast to 100 or 80 is not excessive for eyes ? when u read

I know alot of people posted in the first couple pages about how the monitor is damn bright at the default settings. So I had dropped the brightness to 50 and left the contrast at 80 and for my eyes it was fine. If I took the brightness down all the way to 10 like some of the posters suggested it was way to dim for me.

In the process of calibrating it says you should reset monitor to default settings before you start so I did so, after I was done with the spyder 3 I left it at 80c and 50b and its good for me.

As for the displayport cable, thosee only work if you're going from displayport to HDMI, not the other way around. But HDMI-DVI works either way.

Can anybody confirm this? Is it true? (After playing around trying to convert HDMI -> DP, I suspect it is, I just need confimation. :)) BTW, why can't HDMI be converted to DP signal (while DP can be converted to HDMI)? Where is this anti-symmetry coming from? :confused:

Last edited:
Cables don't convert anything. Video cards can output an HDMI signal through DisplayPort, and that's what the cable is for. Monitors with DisplayPort can only accept a DisplayPort signal, so the cable won't work.

The same applies to DVI and VGA. Video cards can output VGA through DVI, but monitors can't accept VGA through the DVI port unless designed to do so.

DVI and HDMI can go either way because the video signal is actually the same, so no conversion is required.

Video cards can output an HDMI signal through DisplayPort, and that's what the cable is for. Monitors with DisplayPort can only accept a DisplayPort signal, so the cable won't work.

HD 5450 ---> HDMI output ---> HDMI to DP cable ---> DP input ---> HP ZR24w.

Can I tell the GPU to send DP signal through the HDMI output? :)

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I just got twin ZR24w's from Amazon. These are my first IPS monitors. I'm coming from a Samsung ToC T220 after I decided I couldn't stand its vertical shift & bad colors.

The one thing that really bothers me is the white glow on dark backgrounds, even when viewing dead on from 2.5ft away. It's most noticeable in the bottom left. Lowering my head seems to lessen this, the glow is VERY sensitive to vertical angles and becomes huge with a change of +15deg.

(shutter slowed down which slightly exaggerates the glow brightness)

Taken at 2.5ft

Is this a big problem with the ZR24w's or did I just get a bad batch?

I just got mine last week and have the same problem. Most noticeable in the bottom left. The right side of the monotor is fine.
I can understand some IPS glow but why so much more in that area? Is that area being
tightened to much during manufacturing? Who knows. If I return this will they send me a new panel or a remanufactured one?

Last edited:
I just got this monitor in last week...I am pleased to say that I don't have any dead pixels nor do I have any uneven backlight issues. The blacks were a bit of a disappointment compared to my old MVA based monitor. The black are much better now that the screen is calibrated (with spyder 3). I ended up at 34 brightness and 90 contrast. I am currently getting a white point of 181 cd/m2 (target was 180 cd/m2). Too bad my desk isn't big enough to have 2 of these :)

What color is the power LED on this monitor when its on? Is it Blue or Green?

Macmall has open box Zr24 for $297. Is MAcmacll and these open boxes generally a good buy?

Macmall has open box Zr24 for $297. Is MAcmacll and these open boxes generally a good buy?

I tried to buy a new one from those idiots when they had the smoking deal going. I was going to buy one from their retail store. The price would show up on the website and be gone in the blink of an eye, really shady to me. I even called them on the phone and the manager wouldnt honor the price of the sale, he told me it would be $354 or something like that, and that was his COST, he was full of sh!t. This is just my experience, so take it for what its worth. I would never do business with them, others have had no issues.

Last edited:
Does anyone know the number to call for a new replacement, not a remanufactured
model? I have heard that if HP comes to your house to replace the monitor they
give you a reman.

I was under the impression that you got a refurb even if they sent you one...I could be wrong though.

Anyone remove the plastic bezel on these?

If so is the vesa mount part of the plastic case or is it part of the internal metal frame?

Thanks.

Just got my replacement monitor today. Build date June 2011, FW version 33G, Rev LIM 125. My old monitor has a build date of Dec. 2010, FW version 24, Rev LIM 121.
I have both monitors set at

Bright 30
Contrast 90
Color 6500K-sRGB

The colors on the new monitor are not as bold or rich. They look like my old TN panel. If I play with the gamma setings in the Nvidea control panel it helps. Does the new firmware have anything to do with this?
Any suggestions? It is such a big difference I just might keep the old monitor.

I ran into a issue with my monitor where it got stuck in sleep mode and wouldn't wake up. So I called HP and the Tech showed up with a new monitor I didn't get a refurb.

I just bought it but i have some issues.
The monitor is hot at the top of the screen. Is this normal? I never had this issie with other monitors.
Another is a slighty tint issue in the left side which is blue and more brigth. But not to much I think.
Any other similar to the hot top of the screen?

The monitor is quite hot at the top of the screen. Is this normal? I never had this issie with other monitors.
Another is a slighty tint issue in the left side which is blue and more brigth. But not to much I think. And 1 dead (black pixel).
Is all these normal?

Last edited:
The monitor is quite hot at the top of the screen. Is this normal? I never had this issie with other monitors.
Another is a slighty tint issue in the left side which is blue and more brigth. But not to much I think. And 1 dead (black pixel).
Is all these normal?

You may be referring to IPS glow can you take a pic?

I see. The monitor is quite good for it's price-range but has several minor issues like the hot screen, the sligthy tint and brightness problem, poor black, backlight issues.

Here a photo of the top left and bottom right of my screen. You can see the difference in the tint. What do you think guys, should I send my monitor back or it's not a big deal. I use the monitor for editing photos. I know that there's a common problem with tint issues but if I replace it I know there's possibility to have the same problem or even worse.
leftright-1.jpg

Last edited:
Here a photo of the top left and bottom right of my screen. You can see the difference in the tint. What do you think guys, should I send my monitor back or it's not a big deal. I use the monitor for editing photos. I know that there's a common problem with tint issues but if I replace it I know there's possibility to have the same problem or even worse.
leftright-1.jpg

I have never understood why people ask if they should return something. Its YOUR purchase, if it bothers you return it. I don't mean to be rude, but come on.

Yes man you're right, I just want to share knowledge on the subject. Whether this slight difference in color is common and "acceptable" in this model. I don't know. That's why I ask.

Back