HP ZR24w

Thanks...
I will try DisplayPort to HDMI Cable Adapter first...

This Cable Adapter Transfers Uncompressed High-Definition Digital Audio and Video Signals.
viewimage.php
[/URL][/IMG]

I'm in the market for a nice 16:10 monitor, and the ZR24w looks like a real winner from what I've gathered. My only concern is that the consensus seems to be that the ideal settings for this monitor place BRIGHTNESS down to almost zero in order to get better black levels.

Wouldn't this make the monitor too dim? :confused:

I'm in the market for a nice 16:10 monitor, and the ZR24w looks like a real winner from what I've gathered. My only concern is that the consensus seems to be that the ideal settings for this monitor place BRIGHTNESS down to almost zero in order to get better black levels.

Wouldn't this make the monitor too dim? :confused:

Even at 0-10 this is the brightest monitor I have ever owned. You'll go blind anything above that.

Mine shipped from Buy.com today! :)

Should be here Monday, I'll give my impressions when it shows up. I am very picky, and I'm going from a nice CRT so we shall see... ;)

it actually dies down after a while. ive got 900hrs on this monitor and upped the brightness to 50.

Interesting. I was actually considering trying one of these until I read so many users posting that it's just crazy-bright,and 0 brightness is a very common setting for them.
I have major issues with eyestrain from overly bright monitors. I wonder, when you mention it dies down, did you maybe just get comfortable with the brightness and were able to eventually raise it, or is it definitely noticeably dimmed after 900 hours ?

Is the ZR24w good for gaming? Has anyone experienced significant ghosting/lag?

When it comes to ghosting, input lag and motion blur, everyone has different opinions about what's acceptable and what isn't. I didn't like the motion blur at all, as even my Benq 19" FP91G+ which is a 5 year old monitor is much better at handling motion than the HPZR24W, even though it has a higher response rate of 8ms. I returned mine and now I'm using my friends Dell CRT E770. I can't believe how smooth Pes 6 is compared to the blur fest that I experienced when playing it on the HP ZR24W.

If you're after a games monitor, maybe you should wait for the new 120hz Asus LCD's which are due out sometime soon.

Interesting. I was actually considering trying one of these until I read so many users posting that it's just crazy-bright,and 0 brightness is a very common setting for them.
I have major issues with eyestrain from overly bright monitors. I wonder, when you mention it dies down, did you maybe just get comfortable with the brightness and were able to eventually raise it, or is it definitely noticeably dimmed after 900 hours ?

id say that at the very least, the initial intensity has died down. now, i may have also adjusted to it some, but from what i remember, this thing used to be almost eye searingly bright at this setting.

When it comes to ghosting, input lag and motion blur, everyone has different opinions about what's acceptable and what isn't. I didn't like the motion blur at all, as even my Benq 19" FP91G+ which is a 5 year old monitor is much better at handling motion than the HPZR24W, even though it has a higher response rate of 8ms. I returned mine and now I'm using my friends Dell CRT E770. I can't believe how smooth Pes 6 is compared to the blur fest that I experienced when playing it on the HP ZR24W.

If you're after a games monitor, maybe you should wait for the new 120hz Asus LCD's which are due out sometime soon.

i only use my zr24w for games, movies, and web browsing, and i think it works excellently for it. the only time ive actually noticed any kind of blurring on this was with TF2 and the engineers white wire frame models, as your walking.

The HP monitor looked great when playing 3D FPS games, it was just games that have a lot of horizontal motion like PES or FIFA where it failed miserably, as there was just too much blur, making the games unplayable in my opinion. They played much better on my Benq 19" FP91G+. Movies also looked better on my Benq, it's just a pain that it's now dead. I'm going to try and see if I can repair it. If I can't, I'll probably get a 120hz LCD monitor, but from what I've read, they also appear to have their problems. :rolleyes:

Here's a review of the Asus 120hz. Looks promising.
http://www.digitalversus.com/asus-vg236h-p357_8913_150.html

Problems with 120hz LCD's
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1466381&page=25
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=152608
http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=160941 review Acer 120hz

Last edited:
Hey guys I need this info: Does this monitor HP Performance ZR24W, have a VESA mount in the back?
Thanks.

Got my lcd the other day, loving it except how bright it is. Even after setting brightness to 0.

Like I am actually getting eye aches after sitting in front of it. Dont have this problem with any other lcds I own

I think this may be the monitor I upgrade to from my Dell 2405, but I have a question. I use a laptop and a desktop, and switch back and forth with a KVM--however, I don't use the KVM's video switch. Instead, I switch back and forth with the display input selector. How does the HP behave? Is it pretty quick, without have to re-adjust all the settings? Do you have to go through a menu, or can you just cycle them with a button on the front?

With my Dell display I just cycle through the settings, no re-adjusting or anything is necessary, and I just move through the options with the front button.

For those interested in this monitor it's $347 after Bing Cashback at Tigerdirect. Thinkin about pullin the trigger at this price...

The Cost Central description for the ZR24w: "HP ZR24w - LCD display - TFT - 24" - widescreen - 1920 x 1200 / 60 Hz - 400 cd/m2 - 1000:1 - 3000:1 (dynamic) - 7 ms - 0.27 mm - DVI-D, VGA, DisplayPort - carbonite - promo"

There are two part numbers for the HP ZR24w at Cost Central with nearly the exact same description except the A4 model doesn't have the word "promo" at the end.

1) VM633A4#ABA for $465.88 + free shipping.
http://www.costcentral.com/proddetail/HP_ZR24w/VM633A4ABA/11110138/

2) VM633A8#ABA for $387.99 + $17.37 shipping (free shipping if total order over $599).
http://www.costcentral.com/proddetail/HP_ZR24w/VM633A8ABA/11108332/

The A8 model is the one listed for sale on the HP web site for $425 + $54.90 (AZ tax/shipping).

Anybody know the difference in those part numbers? Different model/revision number? OEM/Retail? Cables/Software included/NOT included? Different warranty? etc?

Why would the A4 model be more expensive? Better features and/or build quality and/or more accessories and/or warranty length?

Much Thanks in advance.

Was trying to decide between this and the U2410.

Still not 100% sure but I'm leaning towards the U2410.

While I don't need the scaling for ps3/xbox a lot, I do want it there since I WILL use it some time or another.

Also all the talk of dead pixels...bleh.

Not saying the dells perfect either. Apparently there's tinting issues with some of them and they aren't so big on taking returns for it anymore.

Sigh...problems problems...

Was trying to decide between this and the U2410.

Still not 100% sure but I'm leaning towards the U2410.

While I don't need the scaling for ps3/xbox a lot, I do want it there since I WILL use it some time or another.

Also all the talk of dead pixels...bleh.

Not saying the dells perfect either. Apparently there's tinting issues with some of them and they aren't so big on taking returns for it anymore.

Sigh...problems problems...

Agreed man. Seems that the current crop of IPS monitors is pretty bad. Lots of uniformity issues and generally lackluster performance although in this price range that may be expected. Too bad I needed a replacement for my 2005FPW which is kind of dim now even at 100% brightness or I would have waited for the next round.

Well I have had my ZR24w for a week now and overall I am satisfied. I did end up with one dead/stuck pixel, but it's really tiny and I don't notice it. My other gripe with it is the viewing angle, being that it is advertised as 178 deg, I expected that they meant that it maintains it's image quality out to that angle. Anything past about 35 deg off center horizontally and it starts to get washed out. Don't get me wrong, you can still make everything out clearly, it's just not quite what I was hoping for after coming over from a CRT.

On the positive side, the colors are satisfyingly vivid, much better than most of the LCDs I have used (mostly TNs). When viewed directly there is even consistency, very little gradient from left to right or top to bottom. I have also been playing a fair amount of games on it (BF2, CS Source, GTA 4, etc), and haven't noticed much ghosting, it happens very rarely. Video also looks good.

It is fairly well built, and I was impressed by the range of the adjustments. Overall, even given the dead pixel, I would buy another one. ;)

Thinking of buying this from NCIX with the Express coverage for dead pixels. But what if there are no dead pixels and the problem is with backlight bleeding or blue pink tinting, will Express Coverage allow me to return it? Is it even worth getting the Express Coverage? Does anyone have experience in dealing with NCIX for LCDs?

Anyone know if another sale is coming soon?

Well I have had my ZR24w for a week now and overall I am satisfied. I did end up with one dead/stuck pixel, but it's really tiny and I don't notice it. My other gripe with it is the viewing angle, being that it is advertised as 178 deg, I expected that they meant that it maintains it's image quality out to that angle. Anything past about 35 deg off center horizontally and it starts to get washed out. Don't get me wrong, you can still make everything out clearly, it's just not quite what I was hoping for after coming over from a CRT.

On the positive side, the colors are satisfyingly vivid, much better than most of the LCDs I have used (mostly TNs). When viewed directly there is even consistency, very little gradient from left to right or top to bottom. I have also been playing a fair amount of games on it (BF2, CS Source, GTA 4, etc), and haven't noticed much ghosting, it happens very rarely. Video also looks good.

It is fairly well built, and I was impressed by the range of the adjustments. Overall, even given the dead pixel, I would buy another one. ;)

Now that I've had the monitor for about two months, I'm noticing the ghosting more and more. Still like the monitor but I can't really recommend it for gaming.

well, mine just died today. just flat out died.

i turned my system on this morning and there was no image. no big deal i thought, probably got bumped to off. turn it on again, nothing, turn it on for a 3rd time, and it turned on.

i used the monitor for most the afternoon, and shut it off when i took off for a bit. come back and it wont turn on. switch it to my ps3 (dvi, dp from my pc) and it turns on. seems strange.... better test this out more, so i turn it off again. cycle through this a few more times, and im noticing its taking more power cycles to turn on each time. finally it just doesnt turn on again.

i should clear that up a bit. the monitor its self is turning on, but its not displaying any image. if i unplug the monitor, i get the audible device disconnect sound from windows. also in ccc, it showing the zr24w, but over vga/dvi/dp, its no longer displaying an image on screen.

tech support is calling me tomorrow to schedule an onsite replacement. im currently stuck on a cheap 6 year old 19" crt,,,, love it.

same as before, hp onsite is a damn fine service. i had an almost instant remail response from them, and theyll be calling me this afternoon to schedule an onsite replacement time. hopefully ill have my replacement monitor tomorrow, but chances are i wont have it till monday.

Has anyone getting the ZR24w also run a samsung 204B? I'd be really interested in your thoughts of how the two compare. Especially with regards to ghosting and black levels.

so, hp is starting to piss me off a bit.

some one showed up at my door rather unexpectedly with my replacement in hand. kind of annoying, as some one was supposed to call first to schedule a drop off time.

the swap its self went easy enough, just give the old one back and he handed me a replacment.

now the problem... as soon as i took the screen out of the box, i knew it was broken. theres parts rattling around inside the monitor. i said fuck it and plug it in. it displays an image for about 2 seconds and then goes dead.

i do love this monitor, but im really hating hps build quality.

I just bought a ZR24w and received it yesterday. To my dismay, when I turned it on, it displayed for two seconds and then became blank. If I turn it on and off, the same thing, only display for two seconds then became blank. The LED is still on. I don't know what happened and never saw such a case before. The HP representative was pretty nice and agreed to send me a replacement. However, I am really worrying about the quality of this monitor. Has any one else had such experience? Also, the replacement will be new unit or refurbished one? I will not accept a refurbished one as replacement.

Greed's a pretty exaggerated way to put it. It would be a pointless waste of time money and materials to not fix the one bad component in a monitor (likely the power supply or bulb) and reship. It's as good as new and still going the covered under warranty.

It's the refurbished goods being sold after they've been discontinued and had support dropped for them that you need to be really concerned out.

To my dismay, when I turned it on, it displayed for two seconds and then became blank. If I turn it on and off, the same thing, only display for two seconds then became blank. The LED is still on.

that is EXACTLY what happens with the replacement that i got yesterday.

I won't want refurbished one. I have never used it and it is not fair to pay the new price to get a refurbished one. I contacted the seller (Circuit City) to get a replacement unit and they have agreed to do that. Let's see what happens for next one.

Hi everyone,

I have been following a lot of people's frustration in this long discussion of the ZR24w. I bought mine after reading some reviews at TFTCentral and being pretty amazed at the low cost it would be to me to own an IPS panel. I do a lot of Photoshop/Illustrator work and needed something with good color accuracy without any color shift.

My panel arrived on Thursday, July 22nd. It seemed good, at first- There were no dead pixels, stuck pixels, or serious problems with back-light bleed on an entirely blank screen. It was only when I started working with darker tints and gray tones that I started to notice something wrong. Some have described it as a banding pattern that splits the screen horizontally, and It is especially noticeable on flat colors in illustrator, or websites with a lot of negative gray space due to the 16:10 aspect ratio. This is what it looks like:

http://i32.tinypic.com/nd3reg.jpg

(Long exposure slightly exaggerates this, of course. Only visible around 65-90% gray solid colors. NOT BLACK.)

I browsed support forums and reviews, trying to find out if this was a normal occurrence. My searching has lead me here, where another individual has posted a very similar issue. I understand that back light uniformity is never going to be perfect, but am I wrong to be slightly upset about this? Is this a normal occurrence across the board in LG.display panels? I hate playing panel lottery as much as the next guy but it seems like an exchange is in order.

I've had two monitors and they've had the exact same problem. People claim that they have monitors that don't do it, but I think they're just not noticing it.

After awhile you won't notice as much, but if it really bothers you then I'd return it and go for a different monitor.

just got my 3rd replacement back.

it works, no dead pixels, and zero backlight bleed..

now hp is really starting to piss me off. the box they sent me only had a monitor in it, all the rest were complete packages. of course i had my stand, cables, ect, all boxed up in the old box. i had to go chase down the delivery driver so i could get my stand and cables back.

problem two, and this is the one that pisses me off even more. i sent them a cosmetically perfect monitor back, what i get back is a beat to hell case. the screen its self is fine, but the bezel is all cut up and theres a huge gap on top where it mounts to the aluminum.

bah, my card reader wont read my xd card anymore. ill see if i can find the usb cable so i can get some pictures up.

Last edited:
Back