HP ZR24w

The Spyder software does not measure black level though, are there any free alternatives that would work with the Spyder 3 to measure blacks? Having said that the monitor does look inkier black while retaining the same great colours and gamma with no washout what so ever. :)
What? My Spyder 3 Elite software does show black level. And i can set a black level target.
Open up the software> Go to 'Tools'> 'Information'> Under 'Brightness' and 'Black' you should see black level before calibration, target, and after calibration.

I realised one thing.. so setting contrast to 100 and turning down the RGB sliders does make colors and everything look like cr*p, but the calibration is supposed to fix that, but that means in applications which does not read ICC profiles (not color aware) like games etc the colors will look like cr*p and washed out.
So the method to improve black point might not be that good.

HP really dropped the ball somewhere. Here is a review of a new Fujitsu ECO IPS monitor:
http://www.prad.de/en/monitore/review/2010/review-fsc-p22w-5-part9.html

It has calibrated contrast of over 1200 and .11 black point.
Only problem is, who knows where the heck to buy it in the US? I can't find any place that sells it. I've never seen a Fujitsu desktop LCD monitor for sale anywhere in the US.

It's also not 24", not 1920x1200 (it's 1680x1050) and quite pricey for a 22" LCD. 330 Euros is == $436 USD

If i set the monitor to 'Custom color' mode, and i calibrate it, what setting in the calibration software should i choose? There is 2 choices which i should choose between: '2.2-6500 - 120 LCD Default' and: 'sRGB'

If i set custom color in the OSD and '2.2-6500 - 120 LCD Default' in the calibration software then there is nothing which tries to set the monitor to sRGB? Then the calibration software only adjusts the colors as it wants?

I hope someone answers this question as it is a important question for me..

Only problem is, who knows where the heck to buy it in the US? I can't find any place that sells it. I've never seen a Fujitsu desktop LCD monitor for sale anywhere in the US.

It's also not 24", not 1920x1200 (it's 1680x1050) and quite pricey for a 22" LCD. 330 Euros is == $436 USD
Remember you have to deduct VAT. So you get about €277, which would go for something like $370.

Is this a better buy than Dell's U2410? the bezels looks great for eyefinity :)

So far I am inclined to say yes. I have gamed on this monitor for about 2 hours now and it feels as fast as my 3ms TN. I plan on picking 2 more up for an eyefinity seup.

TFT Central's new settings look like crap. All colors washed out and waaaay too bright.

Brightness 7
Contrast 100
RGB 94, 140, 99

Crap.

The review said that it looked too bright and washed out anyway if you just make those OSD setting changes. thats the issue. you then need to combine it with proper calibration and corrections to the graphics card in order to get a better image. thats the drawback of using 100% contrast setting it seems.

i used them and the icc they had for it. after a bit of tweaking for my monitor, it looks great.
bright 15
contrast 100
RGB 99/127/125

combining with the ICC might help things above just the OSD changes too, sounds like it has for you :)

Last edited:
Don't know what to tell ya. On a 24" monitor, a TN will visibly shift sitting right in front of it. If that doesn't bother you, go with a TN by all means.

exactly. i had a25.5" TN for all of 24hrs before i boxed it back up and resold it. it was impossible to see a single solid color from left to right, the damn thing color shifted terribly. not to mention there were some terrible blue tinting issues.... first and last time ill ever use a TN.

I got my pair of HP ZR24w's in today. No dead pixels. One spot of grime on one panel, but it came off very easily.

They're noticeably faster than my LP2475w. The brightness is intense, as others have said. I have them at 0 brightness, 100 contrast, sRGB. I haven't explored the options much past that yet.

I'll say this: BFBC2 in eyefinity is intense and awesome.

Going on the 48 hours here where HP's business department was supposed to call me. I don't know who said their support was awesome, because they've sucked ass so far. Looks like I get to call them tomorrow. Again.

So I have a new curiosity. For giggles I set my color back to stock sRGB 6500k.

In games, it felt to me like I had less ghosting and less tearing going on. Makes me wonder if color modes other than sRGB cause a slight increase in input delay.

I'd be interested in hearing if other have the same experience.

Remember you have to deduct VAT. So you get about €277, which would go for something like $370.
We in the US have no idea what the VAT is.... It's still irrelevant though. Find me a some retailers that sell it in the US. Besides that, it seems like a rip for a 22" 1680x1050 LCD which is an orange vs. an apple, in this case a 1920x1200 24" IPS LCD that's not much more.

What? My Spyder 3 Elite software does show black level. And i can set a black level target.
Open up the software> Go to 'Tools'> 'Information'> Under 'Brightness' and 'Black' you should see black level before calibration, target, and after calibration.

I have Spyder Pro and it is ridiculously basic. I may upgrade to Elite 4.0 however....

So I have a new curiosity. For giggles I set my color back to stock sRGB 6500k.

In games, it felt to me like I had less ghosting and less tearing going on. Makes me wonder if color modes other than sRGB cause a slight increase in input delay.

I'd be interested in hearing if other have the same experience.

Ghosting is the result of the pixels of the panel taking too long to switch between colors, tearing is caused by the screen not being in sync with the current frame rate. Neither is caused by input lag. There must be something else going on.

For those of you having trouble with HP support, I have had nothing but success and ease when using the keyword "xw series running microsoft"

try it! you get someone who speaks english as a native language!

We in the US have no idea what the VAT is.... It's still irrelevant though. Find me a some retailers that sell it in the US. Besides that, it seems like a rip for a 22" 1680x1050 LCD which is an orange vs. an apple, in this case a 1920x1200 24" IPS LCD that's not much more.
That's a very simple-minded comparison. Kid of like saying the NEC PA241 is ridiculously overpriced because you can get a ZR24w, which is also a 1920x1200 IPS, for under half its price. You haven't factored in anything but resolution and price. The differences go beyond that.

If you don't mind the resolution but do mind high contrast, it might be worth comparing it to the HP, Or maybe even compare 2 against the HP. And I mean this Fujitsu or any other monitor with similar specs. Low contrast and a high black point can be a huge turn off.

If you want to make an apples to apples comparison you'd have to go with the Dell 2209WA. And pricing isn't all that different around these parts. Also, I rechecked the price and it is about $330 (VAT excluded) on amazon. It's not too different from what you can get there, the difference being that you can get rebates :).

That's a very simple-minded comparison. Kid of like saying the NEC PA241 is ridiculously overpriced because you can get a ZR24w, which is also a 1920x1200 IPS, for under half its price. You haven't factored in anything but resolution and price. The differences go beyond that.

If you don't mind the resolution but do mind high contrast, it might be worth comparing it to the HP, Or maybe even compare 2 against the HP. And I mean this Fujitsu or any other monitor with similar specs. Low contrast and a high black point can be a huge turn off.

If you want to make an apples to apples comparison you'd have to go with the Dell 2209WA. And pricing isn't all that different around these parts. Also, I rechecked the price and it is about $330 (VAT excluded) on amazon. It's not too different from what you can get there, the difference being that you can get rebates :).
I thought I chime in on this issue given that I'm from Canada but have been back and forth between Canada and the US.

Input lag, resolution, and price are HUGE factors. Check out the 16:10 vs 16:9 poll. Check out the NEC ea231wmi threads. Check out the Dell 2209WA threads. Check out the eyefinity threads. The fact that a monitor is 16:9 and not 16:10 turns some people off immediately. The fact that a monitor's resolution is less than 1920X1080 turns some people off immediately. The fact that a monitor is less than 23 inches turns off some people immediately. The fact that a monitor can't be easily purchased and returned turns off some people immediately. Price/performance is a huge factor. If there is a 24" 16:10 IPS monitor regularly available for sale in the US that is cheaper than the ZR24w, you will have a lot of people pointing you that way.

With that said, a monitor with poor black performance turns off some people as well. No questions about that. But I think if you did a survey here, a lot of people can live with lesser black performance for a larger screen, price aside. And a person who doesn't mind a 16:9 monitor is likely already looking at the ea231wmi given that it represents a $100 savings here in the US. It is however much less of a deal in Canada given that it is regularly goes for $360+. A person who doesn't mind a smaller screen and lower resolution would look at the Dell 2209WA. Then again, a person looking at the 2209WA might have a 19" or 21" CRT that is still working great.

I can tell you that I stopped looking at the 2209WA immediately after knowing that it has a lower resolution. I would have bought a Asus TN panel before I went with the 2209WA, but that's just me. I was close to buying a ea231wmi before I heard about the ZR24w. I didn't really care too much about the whole 16:10 vs 16:9 debate and I prefer NEC to HP, but I ultimately decided that I was mainly going to use the monitor for surfing the web and PC gaming so the larger screen estate and slightly better gaming performance of the ZR24w ultimately led to my purchase. The fact that I had no chance of getting 2 more monitors in the near future also contributed to my purchase decision.

Anyhow, you are right that there are more differences than just resolution and price. But understand that for a lot of people here, those two differences alone are enough to go with one monitor over another.

Somebody wrote about eyeburn on this ZR24w...

I have it also but I am alergic to some trees that are blossoming in this period in my country so I can't blame the monitor.

Maybe you should check your body for alergies ;)

It's funny you should say that, as I'm sitting here in front of my 2 new ZR24w, eyes itching like mad... but it's the pollen. Claritin isn't enough on its own, and the Benadryl hasn't kicked in yet.

Yes, the contrast ratio isn't the best I've seen, but I actually like the ZR24w. It's a nice hybrid of IPS and TN design. I think I would like it a lot more for $300 rather than $400, but I'm not disappointed at all.

Monitors as far as the eye can see. I'm still astounded by all the screen real-estate.

For those of you having trouble with HP support, I have had nothing but success and ease when using the keyword "xw series running microsoft"

try it! you get someone who speaks english as a native language!

When do you say that and what does it mean?

I thought I chime in on this issue given that I'm from Canada but have been back and forth between Canada and the US.

Input lag, resolution, and price are HUGE factors. Check out the 16:10 vs 16:9 poll. Check out the NEC ea231wmi threads. Check out the Dell 2209WA threads. Check out the eyefinity threads. The fact that a monitor is 16:9 and not 16:10 turns some people off immediately. The fact that a monitor's resolution is less than 1920X1080 turns some people off immediately. The fact that a monitor is less than 23 inches turns off some people immediately. The fact that a monitor can't be easily purchased and returned turns off some people immediately. Price/performance is a huge factor. If there is a 24" 16:10 IPS monitor regularly available for sale in the US that is cheaper than the ZR24w, you will have a lot of people pointing you that way.

With that said, a monitor with poor black performance turns off some people as well. No questions about that. But I think if you did a survey here, a lot of people can live with lesser black performance for a larger screen, price aside. And a person who doesn't mind a 16:9 monitor is likely already looking at the ea231wmi given that it represents a $100 savings here in the US. It is however much less of a deal in Canada given that it is regularly goes for $360+. A person who doesn't mind a smaller screen and lower resolution would look at the Dell 2209WA. Then again, a person looking at the 2209WA might have a 19" or 21" CRT that is still working great.

I can tell you that I stopped looking at the 2209WA immediately after knowing that it has a lower resolution. I would have bought a Asus TN panel before I went with the 2209WA, but that's just me. I was close to buying a ea231wmi before I heard about the ZR24w. I didn't really care too much about the whole 16:10 vs 16:9 debate and I prefer NEC to HP, but I ultimately decided that I was mainly going to use the monitor for surfing the web and PC gaming so the larger screen estate and slightly better gaming performance of the ZR24w ultimately led to my purchase. The fact that I had no chance of getting 2 more monitors in the near future also contributed to my purchase decision.

Anyhow, you are right that there are more differences than just resolution and price. But understand that for a lot of people here, those two differences alone are enough to go with one monitor over another.
I never claimed resolution and price aren't important factors. I claimed there are different needs between different people (and, more broadly, different demographics). And then there's personal preference. Also, price/performance is a huge factor, I agree. But price/performance varies immensely globally.

Just keep in mind that there are bucket loads of people who heavily dislike high pixel densities, since there's no OS that is, nowadays, able to scale text properly. Everything looks crappy (although not as crappy in 7 as before). So when you cram 1920x1200 in a 22'' package, you make a few people happy and a lot of people miserable, especially at that price point.

One just can't forget that forums like this have huge bias towards the high-end. And we don't make up for that big a market share.

Well, my ZR24w was picked up today for RMA and I should be getting my new replacement any hour now. In the mean time, I'm back to using my 23" 16:9 TN Dell monitor and I must say that I cannot believe I used it for so long these past few years! 16:9 is horrid and the screen is tiny in comparison. Also, its blurry and dull and washed out...urgh! Yes, the HP is an extra inch, but it is the vertical benefit of 16:10 that makes the most difference for me. From this point forward, I would never settle on anything less than 24" 16:10. HP has shown me the way :)

Now where's that replacement :confused:

I have it also but I am alergic to some trees that are blossoming in this period in my country so I can't blame the monitor.

I was worried the first day I got the monitor because I was getting some burning in the eyes as well. Its definitely pollen because yesterday my eyes were ok and today they burn again.

The ZR24W is once again in stock directly from amazon.com, now at a very competitive price with free shipping.

Thanks to everyone who contributed feedback to this forum. I'm happy for those who are delighted with their new monitor. I've decided to go for a PA241W after spending way too much time evaluating reasonably priced IPS monitors. I guess I consider it a long term investment ... it costs as much as my whole PC including the video card and SSD!

The ZR24W is once again in stock directly from amazon.com, now at a very competitive price with free shipping.

Thanks to everyone who contributed feedback to this forum. I'm happy for those who are delighted with their new monitor. I've decided to go for a PA241W after spending way too much time evaluating reasonably priced IPS monitors. I guess I consider it a long term investment ... it costs as much as my whole PC including the video card and SSD!

Either you have a crappy pc or your paying way too much... jk of course ;)

That's quite an upgrade I must say comparing it to the ZR24w, it's like shopping for a honda but coming home with a porsche! ;)

Question for you guys, does the ZR24w come with a Mini Displayport to Displayport cable? What type of cables does it include in the box?

dL

I was one person that brought this up but someone suggested I bump the contrast down (brightness was already at zero) - and that has helped immensely.

I do have allergies and have for years, but it was definitely related to the monitor because looking at my other panels provided relief.

I either missed or no one replied to my earlier question if there is anything inherent in IPS technology that would make these monitors emit more VLF radiation (like CRTs do) than TN panels. I am wondering what IPS-glow is actually caused by and is it a form of VLF radiation? This monitor does seem a little bit harsher on my eyes than my Samsung 204B monitors, but only a little bit - and certainly nothing like a CRT that screws up my eyes within a half hour or so. In other words, I will keep using the ZR24w, but never a CRT.

Last edited:
Did you end up getting a reply from HP regarding the whole 16:9 to 16:10 stretching thing?

nope, they stopped replying to the open ticket i had, and nothing ever came from their forums help.

its really not a huge issue, but id still like to see it fixed at some point.

nope, they stopped replying to the open ticket i had, and nothing ever came from their forums help.

Ditto. I opened up a ticket (I'd suggest that anyone that is bothered by this do the same so they know it's affecting more than a handful of people). They asked really dumb questions asking me to describe the problem over and over. I finally said it's a bug and others are having the same issue and added a link to this thread and asked them to let me talk to the guy that wrote the firmware for the monitor for 5min and we'll get it resolved and didn't hear from them again.
BTW, don't feed a 75Hz signal into it..it won't display it at all...forgot a Linux box on my KVM was set fro my old LCD, so I had to switch it to 60Hz...

I purchased this monitor from HP direct and received it this week. It does look beautiful. I did have a full dead pixel in the lower left corner, a little right of the start button in windows 7. I was planning on taking up HP on their 30 day return policy and get another. It seems like most people here got dead pixel free monitors, so i thought i would give it another try.

HP will not accept an item on their 30 day return policy if it has a defect aka dead pixel/scratch. It must be handled through the lcd technical support department. After 1.5 hrs on the phone, they created a case, I assume it gets reviewed under the warranty policy if it is acceptable for exchange. In the end, the case manager accepted the return and they are going to ship me another overnight and send me a shipping label to return the monitor with the bad pixel.

I talked to a sales person and they said had I not told them about the bad pixel, the process would have been smoother, it would have been handled as a return vs warranty. In the end it seems to have worked out through the technical support but if you plan on returning the monitor to HP, they will probably help you out in the end but it may be painful in the process.

If I return the monitor within 30 days (not defective monitor, who pay for the shipping cost?
If it is a defective monitor - does HP pay the return shipping?

Would going from a good 24 inch TN panel like the samsung 2243btw to the HP big a big difference? I do 50% gaming and 50% web surfing...

So, I'm trying to decide between this and the NEC EA231WMi. Initially the NEC looked better to me based on the reviews because of better brightness uniformity and black levels, but the EA231WMi thread has some users complaining about the same tinting issues as on the U2410, and I don't want that. I would rather sacrifice deeper blacks for better color accuracy. What do you guys think?

eta: nvm, the uniformity is actually worse on the NEC, and the black levels when calibrated aren't much worse on the HP.

Last edited:

its really not a huge issue, but id still like to see it fixed at some point.
That issue really bugs me, since I was planning on connecting a laptop with an HDMI port to it. But the darned thing doesn't go beyond 1080p, and if having a game slightly stretched isn't a deabreaker, for regular computer it is.

Back