HP ZR24w

After reading this review, I think you will understand why I'm asking you to try calibrating in custom color mode with 0 brightness even though that OSD setting doesn't get you close to your desired target luminance. Until I came across this review, I suspected that the problem was the DataColor calibration software (comes with the Spyder3) ... and now I have confirmation!

But wont the results be exactly the same with '6500K-sRGB' and 'Custom Color' mode if i don't touch the RGB controls in custom color mode?
Or hm.. using Custom Color mode with it's defaults (RGB sliders at max) means that i am using the native whitepoint of my screen? And in 6500K-sRGB mode the RGB controls gets adjusted automatically?
But if i use Custom color mode+RGB sliders at max and i decrease the brightness with software, that doesn't affect the whitepoint?

Boy! Registering on this forum is indeed hard :rolleyes:

So anyways, thanks to you all for posting your opinions and reviews. I bit, and from ShopBLT since I'm in CA. Its shipping today. I'm excited!

Also, I just talked to an HP Rep and he told me there's absoultely no difference in specs not even power consumption between the two SKUs. Its just that the Smartbuy is a promo that is going to end this month.

Here's a chat excerpt:

How did you get to the Pre-Sales assistance chat? I can't seem to find my way around the HP site; keep on getting into the after sale support and corporate / enterprise sections.

I found there are actually three model numbers and just want to make sure they're technically all the same:

VM633A8#ABA
VM633A4#ABA
VM633AT#ABA

If one of these was the EU promo one, it shows they're indeed using different product codes for different areas of the world. This however raises another quesion: Why doesn't the non-promo one have a 2nd code as well? It's that inconsistency I'd like an explanation for.

Hi fellow Canadian.

I just bought mine this Monday from NCIX.

The price is high (466.68$), but I price matched it with PC-Canada (377.99$) and they approved. :)
And you can add the Express Coverage (Zero dead pixel guarantee).

Hurry up, because the 50$ rebate end April 30th.

The (official) HP ZR24W review is now online on FlatpanelsHD with pictures and graphs etc.

It has some ZR24W vs. Dell U2410 comparison pics, too.

Review: HP ZR24W review

Just ordered my monitor from HP Direct Australia. $610 AUD. Pretty piss poor considering that our dollar is 0.93c usd :/

Free shipping at the very least.

I was considering buying from america, but after speaking to 3 different HP reps, they assured me if i have an issue with my monitor, I would be forced to return it to america for replacement. Not sure if this was just a scam to get my money... but they still offer on site repairs in australia. I'm going to love to see them travel 500km to my dinky town to replace my a single dead pixel.

Not 100% impressed with their phone service, quiet phones and indian accents make for a hard sale. But whatever. A dell 2410 goes for around $1000 here, or more.

I consider myself a bit of a picky bastard when it comes to my PC parts, but i've been using a 19 inch Samsung 940B since about the day it was released, and i've always thought it was fantastic. Turns out the "terrible" contrast ratio's on the ZR24W are still at the very least twice as good my terrible 250:1 contrast ratio.

It'll also be nice to compare 8ms TN with no RTC to 5ms with. Some people claim they cant see ANY ghosting in their FPS's. I've never noticed ghosting with mine to be honest, and it seems im in for an upgrade. Looking to get a few more of these for a lovely NVsurround action.

hrm... a 993280 pixel upgrade. Sweet sweet pixels.

How is Buy.com's return policy on monitors. Dead pixel count? Has to be broken in half...etc.

But wont the results be exactly the same with '6500K-sRGB' and 'Custom Color' mode if i don't touch the RGB controls in custom color mode?
Or hm.. using Custom Color mode with it's defaults (RGB sliders at max) means that i am using the native whitepoint of my screen? And in 6500K-sRGB mode the RGB controls gets adjusted automatically?
But if i use Custom color mode+RGB sliders at max and i decrease the brightness with software, that doesn't affect the whitepoint?

Yes. Custom color with sliders at max is your monitors native whitepoint, and 6500K preset is automatically adjusted, Pre-set. I think you cant even adjust RGB sliders in preset modes, no?

NCIX's dead pixel policy is nice. I wonder why the Egg doesn't have that, hmmmm Egg?

... I just can't swallow its washed out black levels..
Nec EA231 sports an E-IPS and has one of the best black levels around...

The (official) HP ZR24W review is now online on FlatpanelsHD with pictures and graphs etc.

It is really looking like HP screwed up the setup of this panel big time. IPS panels have been in the 800-1000 contrast range for years. Delivering ~500 contrast shows the screwed up configuration in some fundamental way.

I seriously wonder why brightness can't be turned down even more. Brightness at 0 isn't even dim. I'm thinking black level can be improved if only brightness can be turned down even more.

It is really looking like HP screwed up the setup of this panel big time. IPS panels have been in the 800-1000 contrast range for years. Delivering ~500 contrast shows the screwed up configuration in some fundamental way.

Indeed. Its on level with very old IPS panels. How come HP manage to screw this up so badly?

I really don't understand why everyone is making such a big deal about black levels? It does not matter what panel/backlight it is, unless it is OLED, local dimming LED, or C-PVA, then of course the monitor is going to have crap black levels. I would love to buy a C-PVA Samsung for it's class leading black levels (for a monitor, not TV) but the black crush makes it a no go. Every other monitor pales in comparison to a C-PVA panel when comparing black levels. Until OLED arrives at mainstream sizes, there will be no perfect monitor (or TV). The NEC EA231WMi is a poor choice for gaming and the Dell U2410 has a wide gamut backlight producing, at times, unrealistic colours (along with tinting blah blah blah). The HP has poor black levels and that's about it, just pick the one best for your needs....

Too bad that the input lag was reviewed in detail.

I would like to see some test using SMTT or a similar tool.

Furthermore: The weak black levels and contrast might not be HP's fault at all. As the tftcentral review states LG (who built the display inside the ZR24W) managed to "to increase transparency of the matrix and therefore cut down on backlight usage and power consumption, improving efficiency". You could sum that up and say LG created an IPS-Panel with TN flavor: You got IPS-Technology but TN-like higher transparency. You got the advantages (less power consumption, lower price) but you also got the disadvantages (TN-like black levels, TN-Like contrast).

Too bad that the input lag was reviewed in detail.

I would like to see some test using SMTT or a similar tool.

Furthermore: The weak black levels and contrast might not be HP's fault at all. As the tftcentral review states LG (who built the display inside the ZR24W) managed to "to increase transparency of the matrix and therefore cut down on backlight usage and power consumption, improving efficiency". You could sum that up and say LG created an IPS-Panel with TN flavor: You got IPS-Technology but TN-like higher transparency. You got the advantages (less power consumption, lower price) but you also got the disadvantages (TN-like black levels, TN-Like contrast).

But the power consumption is quite high. Also measured in the Flatpanelshd review.

I really don't understand why everyone is making such a big deal about black levels? It does not matter what panel/backlight it is, unless it is OLED, local dimming LED, or C-PVA, then of course the monitor is going to have crap black levels. I would love to buy a C-PVA Samsung for it's class leading black levels (for a monitor, not TV) but the black crush makes it a no go. Every other monitor pales in comparison to a C-PVA panel when comparing black levels. Until OLED arrives at mainstream sizes, there will be no perfect monitor (or TV). The NEC EA231WMi is a poor choice for gaming and the Dell U2410 has a wide gamut backlight producing, at times, unrealistic colours (along with tinting blah blah blah). The HP has poor black levels and that's about it, just pick the one best for your needs....

Is it really that hard to understand the negitive view point on contrast for this monitor? It has the same panel (probably) as the U2410 yet the contrast is about 30-40 precent less after calibration and the brightness settings seem screwed up producing a overly bright screen even at 0 brightness.

Contrast or black level is probably the first thing the eye notices and likely has the greatest impact for alot of people. Its pretty unacceptable for hp to drop the ball like this in terms of contrast.

Is it really that hard to understand the negitive view point on contrast for this monitor? It has the same panel (probably) as the U2410 yet the contrast is about 30-40 precent less after calibration and the brightness settings seem screwed up producing a overly bright screen even at 0 brightness.

Contrast or black level is probably the first thing the eye notices and likely has the greatest impact for alot of people. Its pretty unacceptable for hp to drop the ball like this in terms of contrast.

The HP ZR24W does NOT have the same panel as the Dell, the Dell is a wide gamut display and the HP is standard sRGB gamut display.

I seriously wonder why brightness can't be turned down even more. Brightness at 0 isn't even dim. I'm thinking black level can be improved if only brightness can be turned down even more.

I wish someone would compare the zr24w to the zr22w (or just review the 22w). The zr22w has lower standard brightness which makes me think it could possibly have better black levels between the two.

I found there are actually three model numbers and just want to make sure they're technically all the same:

VM633A8#ABA
VM633A4#ABA
VM633AT#ABA

If one of these was the EU promo one, it shows they're indeed using different product codes for different areas of the world. This however raises another quesion: Why doesn't the non-promo one have a 2nd code as well? It's that inconsistency I'd like an explanation for.

VM633AT#ABA seems to be the promo model for europe. I have that one, absolutely no problems with it (no tinting, black light bleed etc).

VM633A4#ABA is the one on sale for the normal retail price here.

It might be that there might be one base code (A8?) and 2 different promo codes for EU and the US?

Its a difference between average and crap. 0.15 black depth, while not greatest and not on par with CRTs, can produce quite convincing blacks especially with the help of some lighting. Going over 0.20 and blacks turn to grey very noticeably, and even with the help of bright room or light behind the monitor does not help much in dark scenes. What makes this so frustrating that there should be no reason why ZR24W is so poor when it comes to blacks especially when its older brother LP2475W was so good at it, both having IPS panels based on same technology just different gamut?

Yes. Custom color with sliders at max is your monitors native whitepoint, and 6500K preset is automatically adjusted, Pre-set. I think you cant even adjust RGB sliders in preset modes, no?
Ok. No you can't adjust the RGB sliders in preset modes.

About the bad black level and contrast..
I bet it have something to do with the "energy efficient" thing, and that the monitor tries to be eco-friendly, everything which is "green" sucks, take 5400rpm HDDs as a little example, they are slow.

No surprises really in the flatpanelshd review. Same story ... too bright even at 0 brightness, disappointing black level.

The reviewer says he likes both U2410 and EA231WMi better. However, the review doesn't mention screen uniformity, and I'd take the ZR24W over either of those monitors just because it has far fewer reports of obvious pink/green tint. Everyone has their own priorities.

I really wish I knew why HP didn't come out with a better luminance range for the brightness control. I guess every designer makes compromises in order to meet the target price point.

Blackbird ... monitor reviewers usually try calibration in both 'custom color' mode and in one or more presets like sRGB to determine which starting point yields the most satisfactory results. You will need to do the same.

In either custom color or sRGB, you can set your target luminance at 6500K in the calibration software. In custom color mode, if the color temperature is reasonably close to 6500K without adjusting the RGB sliders, you could specify 'native white point' as the target in the calibration software rather than 6500K. Again, it's unpredictable which approach is going to yield better results.

I don't have the Spyder3Elite software, but most calibration software lets you specify a black level of 0 or minimum or unspecified ... and the software will come up with the lowest black level possible while satisfying your other specifications.

Now that I know (from the flatpanelshd review) that the RGB slider defaults are 255,255,255 ... you can see that reviewer didn't like the idea of further lowering brightness by adjust them down too much. On the other hand, the tftcentral reviewer set them to 142, 186, 144 ... cutting the color channels way back.

I don't find either review as thorough as the stuff put out by xbitlabs, but I don't know whether they're planning to review the ZR24W. They did review the NEC EA231WMi.

Blackbird ... monitor reviewers usually try calibration in both 'custom color' mode and in one or more presets like sRGB to determine which starting point yields the most satisfactory results. You will need to do the same.
Ok, i think i will try to calibrate in '6500K - sRGB' mode, 'Custom color'+not touching RGB controls, and 'Custom color'+adjusting RGB controls.

Alright, its been a week now and I've got one major gripe. The color shift is really noticeable, as in I'm writing a word document and can see a noticeable difference between the left and right side of the document, its not even a "smooth" shift, its almost like the left half has a yellow tint and the right half a more blueish. Anyone else have this issue? I'm hesitant to exchange because besides that everything else has been flawless.

Sounds like something is wrong with your monitor lano. None of mine exhibit color shift. I'd go ahead and call HP up for a replacement.

Question for those who got replacements through HP:

I was just told that it's going to be one that the engineers had used or were using so they can't call it "new" and called it a remanufactured one... Is this what everyone else is getting too? I don't see how they can have a remanufactured monitor already, so I'm a bit worried.

Question for those who got replacements through HP:

I was just told that it's going to be one that the engineers had used or were using so they can't call it "new" and called it a remanufactured one... Is this what everyone else is getting too? I don't see how they can have a remanufactured monitor already, so I'm a bit worried.

i was given a new monitor when they replaced mine.

For crying out loud, they think I have a totally different monitor. I just got an email with the replacement info and it has this:

Model Number: GM712AA
Model Description: HP MONITOR W2408H
Serial Number: CNT009102S
Part Number: N/A
Part Description:

I told every person I talked to that I have a ZR24W. I put another call in and said I do NOT have the W2408H and the guy is supposed to call me back. It's probably because their site doesn't even list the friggin ZR24W when you enter a chat, so I had to pick whatever monitor they did list. The first ting I said in the chats though was "Disregard the model I picked, I have the ZR24W."

Well, I've had the ZR24w for a couple of weeks now. In general I've been happy with it. The monitor looks great and I have no input lag or ghosting at all, it is only limited by the 60hz refresh rate, but i keep v-sync on so i never see tearing personally.

So, in general the monitor is great, however there are a couple very big problems it seems. One would be the backlight bleed, which seems pretty bad on my monitor. I've included a shot from HL2, which is not a completely black screen, but a slightly dark area and even then the bleed is very annoying. On a completely black screen, it is even worse. (disclaimer, i sit 2 feet from monitor).

The second issue i've noticed can show up and go away depending on certain settings. I can reproduce this easily but not sure why. I'm getting bad pink tint on white screens, which shows up even more during off angle viewing or towards the corners of the screens. Now, what's strange is that when I set my contrast to 97 it appears to go for the most part to a normal white. It may have a slightly pink tint, but the difference is night and day between 96 and 97 contrast.

I've included a few images, but they do not show up well. I was hoping to get some feedback if people think I need to RMA this, or if this is just how the way this monitor is. If it is, then can anyone compare it to the EA23WMi? Would it be worth switching or would I have the same problems (and possibly noticeable gaming response times)?

Backlight Bleed:
http://i.imgur.com/nTvjd.jpg

Pink Tint (actually much worse, these pics suck):
http://i.imgur.com/Xy2DY.jpg - contrast 96
http://i.imgur.com/laoLm.jpg - contrast 96
http://i.imgur.com/LkDZ9.jpg - contrast 97

I just got my second replacement display and for the price I paid I think I'll keep this one. I have no dead pixels and only the slightest backlight bleed on the left side. I also see an ever so slight pink hue on the left side of the screen but it does not bother me. Then there are the things that every display will have, the poor black levels and the banding in the anti glare coating. So if you’re lucky enough to get this display at a good price and with no defects, it's not bad. Really the only way to get a better display is the fork out more money. :p

It took me almost a month and lots of time dealing with HP's bad support but at this point I'm just happy to have a working display in front of me. :)

Update from me, I had to call them back because they didn't call me (four people kept my incorrect number after me telling them the correct one, go figure). Turns out they had me listed for the other monitor as I thought, they had no idea I even had a ZR24W. I had to tell him yet again look, this is what I have sitting in front of me, it has a stuck pixel, I want a replacement. He put he on hold and came back saying that because it's a business monitor, the business department would have to call in in 24-48 hours.

More waiting over a damn stuck pixel, almost makes me want to keep it after all this. Hopefully the next call goes a bit smoother and people actually enter the information as I tell it.

The second issue i've noticed can show up and go away depending on certain settings. I can reproduce this easily but not sure why. I'm getting bad pink tint on white screens, which shows up even more during off angle viewing or towards the corners of the screens. Now, what's strange is that when I set my contrast to 97 it appears to go for the most part to a normal white. It may have a slightly pink tint, but the difference is night and day between 96 and 97 contrast.

Try lowering the contrast even more. If you turn the contrast all the way up and then turn it down, there's a point where whites become white again (I also get the pink tint when contrast is set too high). And that point should be below the point of clipping. My guess is that at your current contrast setting, you're clipping the whites?

I just set up the monitor and so far everything looks pretty good. I am having an odd issue with win7 x64 and BFBC2 showing 59hz as being the only available refresh rate. Looking for a solution as we speak.

I just set up the monitor and so far everything looks pretty good. I am having an odd issue with win7 x64 and BFBC2 showing 59hz as being the only available refresh rate. Looking for a solution as we speak.

I've got 59 and 60 available in win7 x64. There is an optional update available for this monitor you might not have depending on your windows update settings.

Back