HP ZR24w

I don't get HP's distribution strategy ... how come neither Newegg nor Amazon have this monitor yet? I guess HP has some kind of agreement not to give it to the top tier online retailers for some period of time, or they don't yet have the quantities that the top tier guys demand.

If demand slackens a bit I think the price will come down.

Most of the stores I lurk around says that this is just a promotional price. Some of the stores have instant rebates on them which end on April 30th. I haven't seen these monitors in any major stores like Newegg, Amazon, NCIX Canada etc. I am thinking these monitors are in limited quantities still.

Anyway, I just got it all set up and here are couple of pics I managed to take. I tried the black screen, though there is a little bit of backlight bleed in the top left corner, it is negligible.

4540089188_12d0b84983_b.jpg

4539457247_db030e6701_b.jpg

4540089542_5ff30a9f1a_b.jpg

4539456993_8b82c1996e_b.jpg

Last edited:
I ordered the monitor from Cendirect.com on the 19th around 1 PM and I got it delivered to my door in less than 24hrs. I live in Windsor, Ontario it came to $446 by the time I got it delivered. Who did you order it from and how much did you pay?

I was going to order from Cendirect but chose local pickup from NCIX instead. Since everywhere I looked shows that some Richmond, BC warehouse has it in stock, I figured I'll get my monitor at around the same time and possibly faster with local pickup. Unfortunately I was wrong.

I'm thinking of cancelling my NCIX order and ordering from Cendirect instead. I was really hoping to have the monitor to play around with this weekend but I'm not sure I'll be able to do that now. Oh well...

As for pricing, the current Cendirect pricing is lower than the $446 you paid. NCIX is slightly more expensive but I got them to match. Regardless, there's no advantage to ordering from NCIX since they don't have it in stock and doesn't offer their no dead pixel policy with the ZR24w.

wat program do you use for that date/time

It's called HUD Time, here is the link for it.

I was going to order from Cendirect but chose local pickup from NCIX instead. Since everywhere I looked shows that some Richmond, BC warehouse has it in stock, I figured I'll get my monitor at around the same time and possibly faster with local pickup. Unfortunately I was wrong.

I'm thinking of cancelling my NCIX order and ordering from Cendirect instead. I was really hoping to have the monitor to play around with this weekend but I'm not sure I'll be able to do that now. Oh well...

As for pricing, the current Cendirect pricing is lower than the $446 you paid. NCIX is slightly more expensive but I got them to match. Regardless, there's no advantage to ordering from NCIX since they don't have it in stock and doesn't offer their no dead pixel policy with the ZR24w.

It is still $398. I got charged for Shipping, Tax and Environmental Fees on top of that which came up to $446. I was just surprised that they delivered the monitor in less than 24hours.

i think the awesome HP service should be noted... I have 3 of these in eyefinity and I have had 5 total (wasn't happy with 2 cuz i had backlight bleed on one and a red dot, which was not a dead pixel, on another)

each time they came to my house, let me set it up, and took the old monitor away. i didnt have to pay to return it and it was not a hassle on the phone either.

i just told them my monitor had ghosts (backlight bleed) and a giant red dot on it. they sent service techs out within the next day or two.

by the way if you're going to call hp i found it's easiest to dial 8003345144 and use keyword "xw series running microsoft"

hopefully that will get you to a native english speaker right away.

It is still $398. I got charged for Shipping, Tax and Environmental Fees on top of that which came up to $446. I was just surprised that they delivered the monitor in less than 24hours.

Ah. NCIX doesn't charge the Environmental fee. NCIX does charge me PST but I don't have to pay shipping so that even things out. I didn't go as far as "checkout" on Cendirect so the price I saw didn't reflect the environmental fee. Still, I just might order from Cendirect and hope it arrives in less than 24hours for me as well.

Just noting for any Australians trolling this thread (like myself). I called up HP customer support today, and the ZR24W will be available to ship on the 23rd of April within Australia.

Now just waiting for tftcentral and flatpanelshd to get some comparitive ghosting tests going on and its all ago!

Thanks for the info phrozenfayte, unfortunately I'm not entirely sure that is good news - normally prices seem to be massively inflated in Aust. I was hoping to order from the US (once I decide b/w this and NEC ea231), but if it is available here it might be harder to import???

Thanks for the info phrozenfayte, unfortunately I'm not entirely sure that is good news - normally prices seem to be massively inflated in Aust. I was hoping to order from the US (once I decide b/w this and NEC ea231), but if it is available here it might be harder to import???

I've considered importing it several times but it seems to be a bad idea. HP's warrenty seems to cover any little spot or problem with the monitor, such as single bright pixels or even backlight bleeding. If you get a broken or wonky monitor and have to replace it, it'll end up costing you double to send it back to the sates for the RMA (if they even let you do that).

And if they do let you send it here for repairs, well, either way i'd rather have the home country safety and a little extra cost than the alternatives.

Well, HP are useless here in the UK. They do not replace a single stuck pixel, you need to have at least five. I have other issues too so HP were going to replace the monitor, notice I said "were"...My options was to either get a next day refurbished monitor or wait up to 14 days for a new one. I had to go through 5 agents and wait 30 minutes, I was also magically passed through to CA Arcserve support (no idea how that happened)...In the end, I just went back to my lady friend and she is sorting out a new one for me.....I should mention HP support in the UK is actually outsourced abroad....

i think the awesome HP service should be noted...

My experience has been awful. I've called maybe 5 times I think.

The very first time they wouldn't do anything for me. No warranty support, not enough pixel problems.

Second time they tried to send out a hard-drive (?!). I guess someone somewhere realized that was wrong and they just cancelled that and the ticket disappeared, no one told me.

Third time I called resulted in a tech/courier showing up at my house...with an optical drive. Sorry man, no idea what's up with that...go away.

Supposedly I got a hold of someone useful on Monday. Someone called me back Monday night to let me know the part wasn't in stock or whatever and they'd be calling me back in the next day or so. So, that sounded good at least, kinda sounded like they were on the right track, but now it's Wednesday and haven't heard from them.

I'm patiently trudging through the process, but this is the worst support experience of my life.

Thanks Bloodflowerz for your calibration results. I'll give it another go later and tell it I want to target 6500K instead of use the LCD's native color temp.

p.s., another easy way to see the 1080p autoscaler bug is to use a DVI cable (switched from VGA because my KVM was outputting noise ripples in the video) and tell Windows XP to switch to 1080p. You get garbled text :)
This is actually ok looking when you use the VGA port (only slightly fuzzy text).
I opened up a support case w/ HP and pointed them at this thread to show that I'm not the only one w/ this issue. Hopefully they'll get this fixed in a firmware update...

Hay guys,

Sorry if I sound dumb but how do you guys see and test your calibration results and see if you manage to get target of 6500K???

Thanks for responding

I ordered up a pair to match my LP2475w, from Cost Central. Now I have to work out a new desk arrangement. I'm thinking a GALANT corner desk from IKEA. The room is somwhat small, and it's a pretty huge desk, but I think I can make it work. The next step will be getting a single display stand for all three monitors... but, eyefinity is on its way.

i went the chief kta325b route for the stand... it works with the 24 inchers.

not worth the price imo but what other options are there...

Sorry if I sound dumb but how do you guys see and test your calibration results and see if you manage to get target of 6500K???

Depends on your software for selecting your target, but the results are almost always printed at the end. That screen capture I posted is from the final screen from a calibration with an EyeOne unit (the one that's similar to the ColorMunki).

Depends on your software for selecting your target, but the results are almost always printed at the end. That screen capture I posted is from the final screen from a calibration with an EyeOne unit (the one that's similar to the ColorMunki).

Since I don`t have a hardware calibration device at the moment, I take the best I can do is to use the brightness, contrast and color settings that other people have kindly posted in the thread???

Thanks Bloodflowerz for your calibration results. I'll give it another go later and tell it I want to target 6500K instead of use the LCD's native color temp.

p.s., another easy way to see the 1080p autoscaler bug is to use a DVI cable (switched from VGA because my KVM was outputting noise ripples in the video) and tell Windows XP to switch to 1080p. You get garbled text :)
This is actually ok looking when you use the VGA port (only slightly fuzzy text).
I opened up a support case w/ HP and pointed them at this thread to show that I'm not the only one w/ this issue. Hopefully they'll get this fixed in a firmware update...

i think HP quit dealing with me on that issue. its been almost 10 days since i heard a response back from the email i sent, at which time they were trying to tell me it was a video card issue.

HP ZR24w is perfection for 370€ :)

This screen looks much better in when sitting in front of it than looking at the picture in this thread. If I had 15mm lens maybe than it would look more realistic...

This is my first post! After reading into this display, I just bought my ZR24W.

The out of the box settings aren't great at all. Black seems grayish and white is reddish. I'll keep trying the settings you post. I'm also want to know like Sylver123 if using the settings of other users, that callibrate their monitor is the best way to get a decent result.

However something noticed me. Call me stupid, but I can't do Auto adjustment.
It doesn't work when I press the ok/auto button. Even when pressed in for seconds.
Also the option in the menu isn't present. Though the manual refers to it. "You can also press the Menu button, then select Image Control > Auto-Adjustment from the OSD Main Menu."
I only have the options Custom Scaling, Sharpness, Video OverDrive, Dynamic Contrast Ratio (and Cancel / Save and return).

Isn't auto adjustment needed when connected through DVI?
Further in the manual there it says Auto "Adjustment Automatically adjusts the screen image (VGA input only)".

i went the chief kta325b route for the stand... it works with the 24 inchers.

not worth the price imo but what other options are there...

Do you have some photos of it? I found it for $330 +$20 shipping: http://www.ergodirect.com/product_info.php?products_id=15941 EDIT: Found someone's review with photos: http://home.comcast.net/~mckie_titus/review.htm

The Ergotron and Proluma triple display stands look pretty good but they're about as expensive. At those prices, I'd almost rather have a 4th monitor cluttering up my desk.

Hay guys,

Thanks for responding

I was wondering if there is any way I can calibrate the monitor without using a hardware device. I got an Nvidia 9800GT if it matters at all.

Thanks

This is my first post! After reading into this display, I just bought my ZR24W.

The out of the box settings aren't great at all. Black seems grayish and white is reddish. I'll keep trying the settings you post. I'm also want to know like Sylver123 if using the settings of other users, that callibrate their monitor is the best way to get a decent result.

However something noticed me. Call me stupid, but I can't do Auto adjustment.
It doesn't work when I press the ok/auto button. Even when pressed in for seconds.
Also the option in the menu isn't present. Though the manual refers to it. "You can also press the Menu button, then select Image Control > Auto-Adjustment from the OSD Main Menu."
I only have the options Custom Scaling, Sharpness, Video OverDrive, Dynamic Contrast Ratio (and Cancel / Save and return).

Isn't auto adjustment needed when connected through DVI?
Further in the manual there it says Auto "Adjustment Automatically adjusts the screen image (VGA input only)".

Auto-Adjustment is for the Analog signal path used by the D-Sub(VGA) input. If you aren't using VGA, then you don't need Auto Adjustment. DVI, HDMI, and DisplayPort do not need Auto-Adjustment.

Has anyone noticed a very subtle darkening. I can barely notice it but sometimes the monitor looks darker... Seems like the whole picture goes a shade or two darker, then back to default brightness?

edit: My first LCD... if this is a common effect I'm unaware of it.

Has anyone noticed a very subtle darkening. I can barely notice it but sometimes the monitor looks darker... Seems like the whole picture goes a shade or two darker, then back to default brightness?

edit: My first LCD... if this is a common effect I'm unaware of it.

Maybe you have some kind of dynamic contrast mode enabled? I don't know if the display has such a mode (I just ordered mine today) but you can check the configuration for something like that.

Since I don`t have a hardware calibration device at the moment, I take the best I can do is to use the brightness, contrast and color settings that other people have kindly posted in the thread???

Borrow a friend's? Calibration doesn't just involve using the settings...the settings just tweak brightness/contrast to get it into calibration range. The calibration hardware/software generates a calibration profile which tells the graphics card how to map colors, but this is for a *specific* monitor (you actually have to do this once in a while and the heavy graphics editing folks have calibrations under different lighting conditions and do calibrations once a month because monitors change as they age).
So short answer is, get a pantone huey for $50-80 and you'll be glad you did. You can spend more for more accuracy, but that's probably minimal to do a decent job...

Hey guys, I just got this monitor through CostCentral. Everything on it looks great, except for one little thing. There's a bit of a darkening along the bottom of the screen. Has anyone else noticed this on theirs, or is this a common thing for IPS monitors?

Well, HP are useless here in the UK. They do not replace a single stuck pixel, you need to have at least five. I have other issues too so HP were going to replace the monitor, notice I said "were"...My options was to either get a next day refurbished monitor or wait up to 14 days for a new one. I had to go through 5 agents and wait 30 minutes, I was also magically passed through to CA Arcserve support (no idea how that happened)...In the end, I just went back to my lady friend and she is sorting out a new one for me.....I should mention HP support in the UK is actually outsourced abroad....

Ouch. I fear it will be the same here. I only have a black dot so it's like the worst scenario for a RMA. Maybe I'll say I have other problems ?

A refurb however might be OK, this screen being so new.

Maybe you have some kind of dynamic contrast mode enabled? I don't know if the display has such a mode (I just ordered mine today) but you can check the configuration for something like that.

Yes it has dynamic contrast and it does exactly that, it's pretty terrible when surfing. It was however set to "off" by default on my screen.

What is the input lag on the ZR24W though? Does it have a 'Throughput' or 'Game' mode that will reduce the lag to 16ms average or less?

The input lag seems low, wait for the professional reviews for a definitive answer.

There is no game mode. Do note that in this mode, the U2410 is in wide gamut so the colors are messed up.

Well.. the first reviews will be around at the end of this week, you placed you're order just a bit too soon.
I honestly don't know what the best choice is. When the ZR24w was announced back in january it was labeled as the main alternative to the Dell U2410 but I guess you'll just have to wait (if you're able to) a couple more days to see if it actually is a worthy alternative.. if price is an indication the U2410 *should* be the better display overall... (or the price will just start to drop in the months to come..)

Dell screens are always pricey.

The U2410 also has more inputs, and PIP, most people don't use them but pay for them anyway.

Maybe you should read the U2410 to see the issues it has.

I'm wodering if anyone got a monitor with no backlight bleed _at all_ ?
It seems that some minor bleeding at the top left is pretty common :confused:

Mine arrived today from Cost Central. Box arrived in great shape and everything looks good. Ran it through a pixel test and couldn't see any dead/stuck, although these pixels are so tiny its hard to tell. Tried some of the settings other users had posted and the colors look fantastic. Fired up Aion and I was blown away by how much better the experience was in contrast to my 215TW. Glad I held out for this one!

Hi

I should be receiving mine today.

What settings below are best kept on or turned off??? also is it best to manually calibrate the screen using Windows 7 calibration tool???

overdrive
dynamic contrast

Thanks for responding.

It looks like my ZR24w is on the way. Yey! :)

Can anyone tell me how long the included displayport cable is? I might want to order a longer one.

Brightness = 4
Contrast = 93
R=155
G=172
B=152

Note that this was manually set based on other settings.

Overdrive and Dynamic contrast OFF.

FlatpanelsHD.com review is finally out. I don't think it is done, because there isn't a link to it yet. You have to manually search for it. Also pictures are not loading for now.
http://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?misc=search&subaction=showfull&id=1271940758

It looks like the biggest questions are whether the ZR24w will have less issues than the U2410, whether the sometimes small price difference is worth it, and whether wide gamut is a problem.

http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/13557_na/13557_na.html

DVI-D Video Cable Length 1,8 m (5.9 ft)
DisplayPort Video Cable Length 1,8 m (5.9 ft)

Thanks! ;)

Last edited:
Well, I just received mine a few hours ago and i`m pretty happy with it so far.

I've had a look for stuck pixels and I can`t seem to see any on mine which is good.

The blacks are better than I was expecting them to be given the comments on the forum and that i`m coming from a CRT screen with excellent blacks, so this is my first Widescreen LCD Monitor.

The screen definitely needs calibrated but things are looking good so far.

Back