HP ZR24w

Well, I have a stuck pixel and like you no program or technique has removed it. Also, I have a weird issue where by my screen goes black for a few seconds when watching Fringe. I'm going to call HP tomorrow for a new one. Worst case scenario I can return for a full refund within 7 days using the Distance Selling Regulation law and place an order for another from my lady friend ;)

Let me know the outcome, I want to call as well.

I'm chatting with an HP rep right now and my pixel issue, seems like he's going to let me do an exchange even though there's only one stuck pixel. I'll post the chat log here when I'm done just for reference. He told me I could also go through the place I ordered from for a replacement, but I don't know how ShopBLT would handle this.

I'm chatting with an HP rep right now and my pixel issue, seems like he's going to let me do an exchange even though there's only one stuck pixel. I'll post the chat log here when I'm done just for reference. He told me I could also go through the place I ordered from for a replacement, but I don't know how ShopBLT would handle this.

thanks for the update...i purchased mine from shopblt as well. what is the difference b/w a dead and stuck pixel? its probably easier to go through HP than shopblt because of the onsite warranty correct?

i tried looking but couldnt find the hp chat support...can you post link? thx.

thanks for the update...i purchased mine from shopblt as well. what is the difference b/w a dead and stuck pixel? its probably easier to go through HP than shopblt because of the onsite warranty correct?

i tried looking but couldnt find the hp chat support...can you post link? thx.

A dead pixel will appear as black as it's "turned off", a stuck pixel is usually red, green, or blue because they are "stuck on". So in my case I have a stuck green subpixel which is seen on dark backgrounds.

Chat link is here:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/contacthp?lc=en&cc=us&product=3551927&lang=en&dlc=en

You can just pick whatever monitor they have on the list, the ZR24W isn't even listed yet. Just tell them in the chat, though they ask for the serials anyway.

So another update, at first they said it wasn't under warranty anymore (thing's been out less than a month?!) but I think that was because I gave them the wrong product number, so I tried again and that time it said it wasn't found in the database. Basically I have to fax them a copy of my order confirmation with some info written on it and they'll update my records within 48 hours and then I can put in the request for a replacement.

He didn't seem to have a problem with the fact that there was only one stuck pixel, he had me reset everything to factory and check my connections before saying it appeared to be a hardware issue.

So I'll fax this out tomorrow, check back with them in 48 hours and go from there. Is all their support on site support? I'm not sure if I'm going to have to ship this one back or if they send someone to exchange.

nice, great customer service :) that's one of the reasons i first looked at hp. i wonder if dell's customer service is as smooth.. heard some bad things about it in the past.

it doesnt. BCB works for consumer/home. the zr24w is a business monitor, and sold under the small business section, where bcb doesnt work.

OK so I finally got my monitor. It turns out the fact that the price changed just after my order blocked it. Well, at least I had the cheapest in the country.

Unfortunately, I got a dead pixel. Dead as in black on every color. It is on the lower right, just at the limit of a 16/9 vid, so not too bad, but I don't think I can live with it.

It's early so I won't go into a detailed review but I find the colors better than on my previous MVA monitor, the constrast seems better too. That's without calibration, just lowered brightness.

I'll see what HP France will do.

Geepondy, you can try the HP Display Assistant color calibration initially.

If you don't like the results with the Spyder2 Express software, definitely try your current colorimeter with either BasicColor or ColorEyes Pro and see whether you get satisfactory results before you spend any money on a better device.

Maybe the monitors you've tried to calibrate in the past just didn't have good enough color controls. If that's the effective constraint, more sophisticated calibration hardware/software isn't going to make it any better.

Got my monitor saturday and just had a chance to hook it up.

So here is my issue:
- Is this monitor supposed to be very bright? Also, my desktop wallpaper is a solid black and it really looks washed out. It really feels like i am viewing it through a fog or haze, and makes me strain my eyes. And in a perfectly dark room, more than 5 feet away, it is still not even close to a true black. Is anyone else having this issue, or does it need to be calibrated so that this issue goes away? I would like to explore that option before i try to RMA this.

My settings are:
Brightness (0)
Contrast (90)
Dynamic Contrast (Off)
Overdrive (Off)

Also, can someone post all of their settings so that i can see what they chose to get an accurate black and minimize the fogginess/haziness? I would really appreciate it!

Thanks,
Stathi

Got my monitor saturday and just had a chance to hook it up.

So here is my issue:
- Is this monitor supposed to be very bright? Also, my desktop wallpaper is a solid black and it really looks washed out. It really feels like i am viewing it through a fog or haze, and makes me strain my eyes. And in a perfectly dark room, more than 5 feet away, it is still not even close to a true black. Is anyone else having this issue, or does it need to be calibrated so that this issue goes away? I would like to explore that option before i try to RMA this.

My settings are:
Brightness (0)
Contrast (90)
Dynamic Contrast (Off)
Overdrive (Off)

Also, can someone post all of their settings so that i can see what they chose to get an accurate black and minimize the fogginess/haziness? I would really appreciate it!

Thanks,
Stathi

You can find my settings on Page 71. I found that you have to lower the brightness in CCC (for ATI) to get an accurate calibration.

As for your black wallpaper being washed out, I am certain that is IPS glow. I have my monitor calibrated and the edges of the screen get faded when black content is displayed, similar to how black crush behaves on the Samsung F2380, but this when you looking at it straight on. This is the only dissapointing thing about this HP monitor and maybe IPS in general. I have never owned an IPS panel before but even a decent TN performs better during dark scenes as there is none of this IPS glow, black fade issue. When I move 2 meters back from my HP monitor, you can see where the IPS glow was suddenly subside and the image get clear. This is when looking at it straight on and eye level.

At the end of the day, there is no perfect monitor. Each panel has it's own strengths and weaknesses. For me, I would rather have an IPS panel with great accurate colours and an excellent viewing angle (except when black content is present), rather than a TN panel that has terrible viewing angles for any type of picture and inaccurate colours. With the HP, you only notice the glow on dark images, wheras with a TN panel, you see colour shift all the time, no matter what.

For £289, the HP ZR24w is the best 24" 16:10 monitor out there for the price. The fact it is an IPS panel makes the price even more, err, sexy lol.

A dead pixel will appear as black as it's "turned off", a stuck pixel is usually red, green, or blue because they are "stuck on". So in my case I have a stuck green subpixel which is seen on dark backgrounds.

Chat link is here:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/contacthp?lc=en&cc=us&product=3551927&lang=en&dlc=en

You can just pick whatever monitor they have on the list, the ZR24W isn't even listed yet. Just tell them in the chat, though they ask for the serials anyway.

So another update, at first they said it wasn't under warranty anymore (thing's been out less than a month?!) but I think that was because I gave them the wrong product number, so I tried again and that time it said it wasn't found in the database. Basically I have to fax them a copy of my order confirmation with some info written on it and they'll update my records within 48 hours and then I can put in the request for a replacement.

He didn't seem to have a problem with the fact that there was only one stuck pixel, he had me reset everything to factory and check my connections before saying it appeared to be a hardware issue.

So I'll fax this out tomorrow, check back with them in 48 hours and go from there. Is all their support on site support? I'm not sure if I'm going to have to ship this one back or if they send someone to exchange.

Thank you. Much appreciated. I've never dealt with pixel issues...been trying to find the time to research. Heh, I'm color blind, so I'm not sure what color the pixel is, it looks blueish to me but doesnt appear on every color, like black.

sucks that you have to fax, hopefully u can switch it out soon. Thx for link, I think Ill try and get onsite service as well.

You can find my settings on Page 71. I found that you have to lower the brightness in CCC (for ATI) to get an accurate calibration.

As for your black wallpaper being washed out, I am certain that is IPS glow. I have my monitor calibrated and the edges of the screen get faded when black content is displayed, similar to how black crush behaves on the Samsung F2380, but this when you looking at it straight on. This is the only dissapointing thing about this HP monitor and maybe IPS in general. I have never owned an IPS panel before but even a decent TN performs better during dark scenes as there is none of this IPS glow, black fade issue. When I move 2 meters back from my HP monitor, you can see where the IPS glow was suddenly subside and the image get clear. This is when looking at it straight on and eye level.

At the end of the day, there is no perfect monitor. Each panel has it's own strengths and weaknesses. For me, I would rather have an IPS panel with great accurate colours and an excellent viewing angle (except when black content is present), rather than a TN panel that has terrible viewing angles for any type of picture and inaccurate colours. With the HP, you only notice the glow on dark images, wheras with a TN panel, you see colour shift all the time, no matter what.

For £289, the HP ZR24w is the best 24" 16:10 monitor out there for the price. The fact it is an IPS panel makes the price even more, err, sexy lol.

Thanks for the info. The problem, though, is that even when i move a few feet back (and am eye level) it still looks like the black is glowing and very bright. And as you can see from the settings i posted they are turned down a lot! And unfortunately i do not have CCC as i have an Nvidia chipset. Any other thoughts or should i post pics to get recommendations?

Thanks for the info. The problem, though, is that even when i move a few feet back (and am eye level) it still looks like the black is glowing and very bright. And as you can see from the settings i posted they are turned down a lot! And unfortunately i do not have CCC as i have an Nvidia chipset. Any other thoughts or should i post pics to get recommendations?

Yes, post pics. Someone from this topic had the same problem as you: the white glow on his monitor was excessive and he was advised to return the monitor.

Turning the brightness all the way down & adjusting the contrast is not enough, you need to adjust the rgb settings manually as well, maybe that will help a bit but there has indeed been somebody who had to RMA the display due to excessive white glow.

Maybe try these settings:

Brightness: 4
Contrast: 96
Color: R(158) G(175) B(151)

Last edited:

You should be able to turn down brightness via the Nvidia control panel. I highly recommend you use the Windows 7 display calibration tool to set your contrast/brightness/gamma in Nvidia control panel (assuming you have Windows 7).

On another note, I just played some Crysis and played the end boss stage (very dark fight at night) and I could not see any ghosting whatsoever. The poster who said they saw ghosting in Crysis, are you sure you turned off "blur" in the Crysis options?

You should be able to turn down brightness via the Nvidia control panel. I highly recommend you use the Windows 7 display calibration tool to set your contrast/brightness/gamma in Nvidia control panel (assuming you have Windows 7).
The brightness would have to be lowered at the hardware level (i.e. the monitor's OSD) to dim the backlight. I don't think that Windows can control the monitor's backlight intensity.

Okay guys. Thasnk you for the info. I will post pics later on and label them (lights off/black background, lights on/black background, lights off/black backgrounw with white window) so you guys can then advise.

I really hope it is just me, as i know that i cannot return the monitor to Cost Central and would have to call HP and then wait (and wait, and wait)...

While i wait to get out of work to get home and attempt (~4:30pm EST), can anone that uses an Nvidia Mobile chipset let me know what they used for all of their settings to get it optimal after calibration? I have a 8600M GT on my XPS m1530 running Windows 7 Ultimate (64). And i am outputting via my HDMI (converted to DVI of course) into the monitor.

Thanks in advance for any help and i look forward to getting some help from you guys later today!

Stathi

On another note, I just played some Crysis and played the end boss stage (very dark fight at night) and I could not see any ghosting whatsoever. The poster who said they saw ghosting in Crysis, are you sure you turned off "blur" in the Crysis options?

I know we use different calibration tools but are you sure you calibrated correctly?

I can easily achieve a luminance of 120 cd/m2 at +- 6500 kelvin with a black depth of 0.17cd/m2 at hardware level without having to adjust any settings in Windows(standard settings) or at gpu level.

I searched on shopblt.com for the HP ZR24w, but got no results. I guess they're no longer selling it? Anyone know of any other places to get a good deal on it?

I know we use different calibration tools but are you sure you calibrated correctly?

I can easily achieve a luminance of 120 cd/m2 at +- 6500 kelvin with a black depth of 0.17cd/m2 at hardware level without having to adjust any settings in Windows(standard settings) or at gpu level.

Hmmm, okay, I will try again excluding ATi graphics calibration and I will post my results. :)

The brightness would have to be lowered at the hardware level (i.e. the monitor's OSD) to dim the backlight. I don't think that Windows can control the monitor's backlight intensity.

So, just to confirm, only by lowering the RGB properties on the monitor does the backlight decrease? What does lowering brightness on the graphics card actually do then? I ask because lowering brightness on the monitor makes little difference...

Ok, I will do so. Quick question that I hope gets answered today. If using the hardware calibrator, do I leave the monitor in it's default sRGB mode, or do I switch it to Custom Color?

If you don't like the results with the Spyder2 Express software, definitely try your current colorimeter with either BasicColor or ColorEyes Pro and see whether you get satisfactory results before you spend any money on a better device.

Maybe the monitors you've tried to calibrate in the past just didn't have good enough color controls. If that's the effective constraint, more sophisticated calibration hardware/software isn't going to make it any better.

Since I haven't had a chance to view the HP ZR24W in person, I'd to get some options:

For a similar price, would you rather take a used NEC 2490WUXi in good condition or a new HP ZR24w?

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Does anyone have an issue when you switch ON your monitor the monitor cycles through the different input sources but fails to detect your active input source? I have to switch the monitor OFF and then ON before my Displayport is detected. Also, my desktop icons appear out of line, as if it lost it's resolution and reset itself? Anyone else experience these symptoms?

Just finished setting up mine and am waiting for it to warm up before I calibrate it. No bad pixels :)
Blacks (like the background of this web page) didn't look black until I set brightness to 4). I'm using VGA now through a KVM and it apparently doesn't have the bandwidth for 1920x1200 so I get wavy interference lines, and if I use 1920x1080, I can't turn the autoscaler off so text looks a bit fuzzy :-P
I'm going to have to try displayport later and see if that's better.
It's pretty funny trying to do the color tinge test by dragging a notepad window around and watching the edges of the window tear because the nvidia 6150 doesn't have enough bandwidth to do it quickly ;-)
I also do see ghosting when dragging the notepad window, though it's slight and better than my ancient planar 19" 4:3 display. I do see more colors as well. Will post back after calibration...

For a similar price, would you rather take a used NEC 2490WUXi in good condition or a new HP ZR24w?
Both NEC 2490wuxi and 2490wuxi II are higher end monitors and offer much more, even if the latter has no polariser like the first version. I'd go for the used NEC, especially if it were 1st gen even just for the colorcomp feature..

2217617090030340207S600x600Q85.jpg

First attempt at calibrating. Aimed for 120cd/m2 and the calibration software missed it :-P
Brightness setting for monitor is 5. Contrast is 98.

white glow from about 2 1/2 feet and closer
2.5 feet? I just took out a tape measure and measured 30". . . that's quite far to be sitting back to avoid IPS glow.

I've actually been considering this monitor. But also the LG 30". Is that 2.5' IPS glow threshold pretty standard for all IPS monitors? Or might I be able to sit closer to other makes/models without noticing the "glow." If not, I think I'll just stick to my 24" CRT. My eyes are aging and starting to crave the pixel-perfect sharpness of an LCD. But. . . well. . . not at the expense of "IPS glow!"

Thanks!

Did you lower the RGB values in the OSD ?

I haven't. The color section is set to 6500K and if I choose custom color, all the RGB values are at 255. It seems odd that my calibration sensor is measuring the color temp as 7100K...surprised it's that far off from 6500K...

I have tried both today and had much better luck with Color Eyes Pro, once I figured it out. I have it set for 120 right now but may recalibrate it with a bit higher settings. $175 though, yikes. Can it be purchased for cheaper? I hope that after the ten day period, you just can't perform new calibrations but the LUT program that loads in startup will still be functional.

It's funny, when I first hooked up this monitor, I thought the colors and contrast were quite a bit muted compared to my previous PVA monitor. However when I then compared the viewed image to a printed image as well as looking at the images from the Lagorn page, I found this monitor's results to be much more in line. I guess before with the PVA I was looking at perhaps athestically more pleasing images but less accurate. This monitor cannot reproduce the dark blacks as well but it also isn't crushing the grays.

Back