HP ZR24w

It appears that my monitor isn't saving my settings that I make to it all the time. I changed the colours, brightness, and contrast, but when I turned it on today they were all back to factory default.

Anyone else having this problem? Its happened a few times already.

It appears that my monitor isn't saving my settings that I make to it all the time. I changed the colours, brightness, and contrast, but when I turned it on today they were all back to factory default.

Call up HP tech support, mine does not have this problem.

Someone reported earlier in the thread that having the HP display utility installed was causing similar behavior. FWIW, mine doesn't have this issue, but I'm not using the utility.

Someone reported earlier in the thread that having the HP display utility installed was causing similar behavior. FWIW, mine doesn't have this issue, but I'm not using the utility.
Disabling DCC/CI in the monitor's OSD could probably solve the problem too.

Alright, Ill uninstall the utility... I dont use it anyways. Ill report results in a day or two to see if my settings stick.

Yes, I have noticed this intermittently; and I do have the HP Display Assistant installed.

Disabling DCC/CI in the monitor's OSD could probably solve the problem too.
Thanks guys. I will try this disabling before uninstalling the Display Assistant.

Got my ZR24w today, very impressed with the speed of delivery. It shipped on Friday, I got it just pas noon today. Haven't had time for it yet, there was other stuff with the delivery that I needed a bit more. Will test it tomorrow Very curious on how it will look against all the TN panels I have lying around the house.

OK So I now have three of these in Eyefinity display mode... previously when I had the 2xZR24Ws and the 1xBenQ FP241VW I was getting some vertical lines and horizontal lines messing up my display like the cable wasnt plugged in properly. There are youtube videos of it. It's like the monitors werent refreshing at the same speed or something.

After plugging in all three ZR24Ws, though, that has disappeared. While playing BFBC2 I did notice some horizontal tearing (I'm in landscape mode) but it did not detract from the gaming experience for me.

I originally said that there's very little backlight bleed on these monitors and I wanted to get clarification on that... When I sit too close to the monitor, like <2ft) the colors start to get washed out and it just doesnt look good. However at >2ft it looks wonderful.

I don't have any dead pixels but I noticed that on the last monitor I received there is something weird that occurs with it. I see some red "bars" where it should be black but it isn't. It's not visible at all times, only at certain angles. Moving my head 3 inches at about 3 feet away makes it appear as though this aberration doesn't exist.

I will probably have HP replace the monitor but overall I'd say they're pretty awesome!

ooook if any of you read my previous post that I quoted I have an update. Firstly, HP customer support is pretty awesome. They came to my house and delivered a new monitor at like 9am. But... the new monitor had the same problem, or so I thought.

I'm gonna look really stupid for reporting this but if any of you have the G15 keyboard please be aware that the LEDs/backlighting in the keyboard are actually capable of projecting light at least 12 inches away from itself. The previous "anomaly" I mentioned is actually light from the newer model of the G15s being projected onto the screen...

DOH! Back to lurking.

Add me to the number of people who vouch for this monitor.

I've read almost every single post in this thread regarding the hp zr24w. I originally was going to get the Dell U2410, but there were too many issues that I didn't want to deal with.

A friend suggested the ZR24W and I was following this thread for a while, and eventually took the plunge after reading all the positive things with the monitor. I couldn't be more happier with the purchase.

I ordered from buy.com Thursday at 1:00pm for $394.99, + CA Sales Tax + Free shipping + 4% bing cash back. I got an email with a shipping confirmation and tracking number by the end of the night. It was delivered to me via FedEx the next day on Friday. I've ordered MANY MANY computer electronic items from buy.com (not the individual vendors), and their service has never disappointed me. Fast shipping / service, items arrive in very good condition, updated status.

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones because my monitor arrived perfectly, and has no dead / stuck pixels, no tint issue, etc etc. I'm not very picky, at first I saw 1 dead pixel and thought it was no biggie and still planned on keeping it and didnt want to bother with an exchange, but later on I touched it and realized it was just a dirt spec, so even better!

The monitor is built with quality and the stand is very sturdy. This was an upgrade for me from a 17" 4:3. Very glad I made the purchase instead of waiting for more reviews. Thanks to everyone who bit the bullet and made the purchase before me and providing feedback.

The 1:1 scaling issue isn't really a problem for me, no offense to everyone else, but I use my monitors for it's intended purpose with my PC. It would definitely be a plus if I can hook up my ps3 to it and have the 1080 resolution work, but it was not a deal breaker for me.

If anyone needs pictures, feel free to request, and I can try my best to provide them. (Except PS3 pictures because I don't plan on hooking it up to my monitor since its currently setup with my 46" LCD TV")

ooook if any of you read my previous post that I quoted I have an update. Firstly, HP customer support is pretty awesome. They came to my house and delivered a new monitor at like 9am. But... the new monitor had the same problem, or so I thought.

I'm gonna look really stupid for reporting this but if any of you have the G15 keyboard please be aware that the LEDs/backlighting in the keyboard are actually capable of projecting light at least 12 inches away from itself. The previous "anomaly" I mentioned is actually light from the newer model of the G15s being projected onto the screen...

DOH! Back to lurking.
LOL!!!
Well at least you had the balls to admit this and post it here!

I've enjoyed your posts so I hope you don't just go back to lurking.

Btw, did the HP guy figure this out or did he just deliver the monitor and leave? If the former, I guess it will be one of those stories they tell back at HP. :p

Mine does display more than wanted blacklight in the lower left corner, and a little in the lower right. To a degree it shows up more/less depending on the angle you view from. If I view from the above the display, I see more backlight on the bottom. If I view from below, I see more in the top corners. But overall the lower left corner has more backlight than others.

It is mostly noticable when the screen is black. I don't really notice it when there is color. But when I play games a lot of the time there are black screens or very dark ones, and it comes to mind and distracts a bit from the experience.

It is not terrible, but more than I'd like.

I'm not sure if this is normal for this display, LCD's in general, or not normal at all.

Thoughts?

Oh, and no I don't have a keyboard with lights on it. lol. Thanks for that one :D

Hey, I plan to buy a new monitor either this week or sometime next week, and I've narrowed it down to the U2410 or the ZR24W. I definitely would prefer the ZR24W, since there were some issues with earlier revisions of the U2410, and it is cheaper. I've scoured this thread today, but I just don't have the time this week to read through all of the postings. I'm a bit leery purely because I haven't seen a review up of it anywhere yet, but people do seem to enjoy it. I'm replacing a 215TW from Samsung, which has had some horrendously bad backlight bleeding for quite a while. When you watch a movie, for example, you can see the light bleeding from all four corners prominently, shining onto the video portion. On a pure black screen, the bleed goes almost all the way into the center from the corners. I've lived with that this whole time, so I'm guessing that any backlight bleed from the ZR24w is probably going to be acceptable to me (stop me if I'm wrong, though).

How is the input lag though? I know the 215TW had high input lag, but it never seemed to bother me in games. I'm sure someone has posted something about it on here and I missed it, so sorry about that. I always thought the U2410 would be great, especially since Bluray movies will (only occasionally) be watched on my PC, among other things. I do realize that there are fixes/newer revisions out of that monitor, but I don't think I should take a chance on that. It looks like the better choice is the ZR24w. Am I right? :)

jFred, currently I'm using:

25 bright
80 cont
254, 255, 242 custom color.

I know that it's actually too bright (probably well above 100nit), but personally I like it better and I don't have access to calibration hardware at home. I only had to correct the white balance slightly, and that's just from visual acuity and reference images. I'm absolutely positive properly calibrated settings would be different. I'm pretty sure my gamma is a bit high too (grayscale test), but that can be from having too high a brightness.

The main thing this monitor has for it, compared to the U2410, is the standard gamut. For almost any usage, wide gamut is a pain.

The main thing this monitor has for it, compared to the U2410, is the standard gamut. For almost any usage, wide gamut is a pain.

I am trying to decide between ZR24w and DELL's U2410. The monitor will be used for professional web design and amateur photo/video editing. Could you explain why the wide gamut is a pain? Is it good for anything? Do you mean that most people are not going to see any benefits?

Thanks.

I am trying to decide between ZR24w and DELL's U2410. The monitor will be used for professional web design and amateur photo/video editing. Could you explain why the wide gamut is a pain? Is it good for anything? Do you mean that most people are not going to see any benefits?

Thanks.

Unless you need the expanded color space for something like photoshop you won't see any benefit and calibration can be a bit of a pain on the U2410 due to this (although it emulates the color space standard fine). The biggest downside of the U2410 is the tinting problem , it doesn't effect everyone but there is a chance you be doing the RMA shipping game if you do end up with one. Mine doesn't have this issue and I love it , there is really no big difference in terms of panel quality other than the expanded color space of the U2410.

so, i needed something to really put this monitor through the test.

behold....

dscf0738.jpg

dscf0740i.jpg

also, the guy im working with at HP on the scaler issue cant seem to understand that stretching a 16:9 image to 16:10

damn it... epic fail on that last sentence.

also, the guy im working with at HP on the scaler issue cant seem to understand what stretching a 16:9 image to 16:10 means. hes trying to tell me its a video card issue.

Quick question:
Is it an overall better monitor than the Dell 2209WA ? What about gaming?
Thanks

LOL!!!
Well at least you had the balls to admit this and post it here!

I've enjoyed your posts so I hope you don't just go back to lurking.

Btw, did the HP guy figure this out or did he just deliver the monitor and leave? If the former, I guess it will be one of those stories they tell back at HP. :p

Thankfully the woman from HP didn't figure it out for me. I felt really really stupid when the new monitor had the same "problem" because that meant it wasnt the monitor and that it was something else. At least I get the privilege of sharing my stupid mistake anonymously. ha ha.

I'm the person who's usually poking fun at people who did what I did. (all in good fun of course)

Ordered from Buy.com on thursday night with free shipping. Delivered to office this afternoon(monday). Packing slip said it was Fedex, from buy.com's fontana warehouse, which is not far since my work is in West LA, so that's probably why it was so fast

The stand is heavy duty. The rectangular base part is solid metal, with plastic pieces covering it. It's very heavy, and stable. The column part is all plastic it looks like. The height is fully adjustable, the monitor screen is heavy enough to stop the spring from fully extending, so you can position it at any height in the range.

Default contrast is CRANKED way up. Had to turn that sucker down a little. I didn't install any of the extra software on the CD except the monitor driver icm file. There are a couple of user guides on the cd in pdf format.

Using DVI to connect. No stuck pixels, no tinting (that I can notice). Colors look beautiful, and i'm loving the IPS lack of color shift at vertical angles. That was the primary reason i upgraded from a Samsung T240. My racing rig is slightly lower than my desk, and the color shift was pretty bad. Night races (in game/on track night, not "it's night time out my window ;) ) + TN color shift = really bad visiblity and I would have trouble seeing my braking points and finding the apex was troublesome. I haven't fired up rFactor yet, but just viewing the screen from a lower angle and it's just as clear/colorful as from straight on. There is very slight "sheen" when viewing from extreme angels as reported by others, but its nothing as bad as the color shift on the Samsung.

Someone asked about the frame reflecting the screen - the top and bottom frame have a very slight reflection. Not noticeable unless you sit there and stare at it for a second. No reflection on the side frames.

I'm wondering what firmware version everyone is getting? Mine says V0.23G.

Last edited:
Has somebody bought with the monitor hp eCare 5y U7937E, it feels just like a bargain for little less than 30€ for 2 more years of service?

Has somebody bought with the monitor hp eCare 5y U7937E, it feels just like a bargain for little less than 30€ for 2 more years of service?

I ordered mine with that extra warranty as its so cheap from finnish retailer just under 400€ shipped. I'll post my impressions after I get the monitor tomorrow. Comparing it to Benq 22" E2200HD which is with TN panel.

ShopBLT just got some in at their Texas warehouse, finally ordered mine.

What is that "Smart Buy" stuff I see on many of the listings for this monitor?

*snip*
The stand is heavy duty. The rectangular base part is solid metal, with plastic pieces covering it. It's very heavy, and stable. The column part is all plastic it looks like. The height has 2 settings: fully down and fully up. There's no intermediate settings, although with the vertical tilt, that shouldn't be too big of a problem. You can always mount it if you can't find the right height ...

*snip*

You can't move your screen up and down and have it stay there? Mine seems have the spring in the stand calibrated such that it will stay at any height you move the screen to. It also locks in the lowest position with a release button on the back. I wonder if all the stands are not the same.

I finally got mine, so far Extremely happy with it (coming from a Samsung 226BW so it's a massive upgrade from that) and the thing that have bothered me so far is the white glow, I noticed that if you sit really close then the white glow gets Much worse so sitting a little bit back from the monitor is probably preferred.

Did a bit of gaming and holy hell games look SO much better with proper colors (and it's not even fully calibrated (with that I mean no hardware calibrator), only played with brightness/contrast a bit so far) and I tried a few quick tests and I could not notice any input lag nor ghosting (runs much better then my 226BW in that regard imo)

I did notice a bit of rough texture from the AG coating (probably?) on certain bright colors but really only noticed it if I was actively looking for it (not going to bother me)

And yes you can move it up and down, it has a lock at the lowest level though but it should stay at any height you move it to? At least mine does but you need to unlock it from the lowest height to not be stuck at the bottom obviously :)

All in all I am extremely happy with this monitor and in NO way do I regret the purchase, but my demands aren't super high either (just average to above average probably) but overall it just feels like an awesome value product.

Thanks.

No, I'm saying that most people will see a crap image.

If you ever get a chance to look at a color diagram you'll notice that "wide" gamut is actually smaller in some ranges (red/blue) and wider in others (green) or the triad that makes up the reproducible colorspace is shifted or skewed from a theoretical sRGB range.

This is bad.

Other than oversaturation, wide gamut makes it difficult to get accurate colors in all ranges (at least with cheap panels that don't feature sRGB emulation or have LUT's).

Going from a somewhat good wide gamut TN (w2408h) to the ZR24w is a huge difference. At first everything looks very dull, but that's only because you're so used to poppy saturated images.

If you ever get a chance to look at a color diagram you'll notice that "wide" gamut is actually smaller in some ranges (red/blue) and wider in others (green) or the triad that makes up the reproducible colorspace is shifted or skewed from a theoretical sRGB range.

This is bad.

Other than oversaturation, wide gamut makes it difficult to get accurate colors in all ranges (at least with cheap panels that don't feature sRGB emulation or have LUT's).

Going from a somewhat good wide gamut TN (w2408h) to the ZR24w is a huge difference. At first everything looks very dull, but that's only because you're so used to poppy saturated images.

Good to know man.

ShopBLT just got some in at their Texas warehouse, finally ordered mine.

What is that "Smart Buy" stuff I see on many of the listings for this monitor?

Smart Buy is just the promo pricing. Mine also just shipped from the Texas warehouse. I hope it gets here this week.

ugh! I received my monitor today and after setting it up and turning it on, nothing happened. Okay, so its DOA... then I see that the bezel is ever so slightly warped (the box is in good shape)... then I try to disconnect the displayport cable only to find that it won't come out.... I pull (carefully, then not so carefully) and the entire connector comes apart... and yes I l plugged it in the proper way it is keyed.

So... time for the rma merry go round... :(

Back