HP ZR24w

Has anyone else noticed pixels getting "stuck" temporarily? I've started noticing pixels getting stuck on green hues. It seems to just happen on the windows desktop, of when I play movies with VLC. I'll get white ~>green pixels where none should be green. When I drag a dark webpage (like [H]) over the pixel, or change the desktop background to any solid color, the pixels go back to normal for a while.

I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate x64. HP display assistant won't work for me.

How is the black depth? When bb23 posted pictures, it didn't seem convincing.
Do you mean it did not seem black enough? When I expand the [H] Forum screen across all three monitors, the HP blows away the Samsungs (204B) for whatever that is worth. The black background is REALLY deep black.

By the way, I went through this thread from page 16 to current and posted everyone's pics of the ZR24w (except for mine because new ones are already there) on this thread:

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1509381

(If you mind my cross-posting your post/pic let me know and I will delete it from that pics thread.)

People really appreciate pictures, so if you take any with your camera, it would be cool to post them there too, otherwise they get lost in so many pages. Thanks in advance.

Another thing i discovered with ZR24w is that it seems to take extremely long before the brightness goes up to the normal level.
The first 10-15 mins or so when you have started up the monitor the brightness is extremely low, but then it gets brighter and brighter very slowly, takes looong time before it gets to full brightness.
Maybe only my monitor is like that though, my monitor seems completely messed up in all ways.

Do you mean it did not seem black enough? When I expand the [H] Forum screen across all three monitors, the HP blows away the Samsungs (204B) for whatever that is worth. The black background is REALLY deep black.
I've compared your pictures of a black screen to those of the EA231WMi, and the Nec seemed to had a better black level.
However this is hard to judge from pictures because it depends on the exposure time, angle of the screen, brightness setting, etc... That's why I'm asking for people's impressions.

How is the black depth? When bb23 posted pictures, it didn't seem convincing.

People can post pictures all day of their nice ips panel monitors in action but your never going to be able to SEE the difference unless the monitor your viewing with is capable.

People can post pictures all day of their nice ips panel monitors in action but your never going to be able to SEE the difference unless the monitor your viewing with is capable.
First the difference needs to be captured accurately by the camera. And that is much harder.

I use a 2007FP S-IPS at work and comparing the ZR24W, I'd have to say the absolute black levels aren't as good, the best you can get is a very deep grey in very dark images or dark games. But the amount of detail you can see in those dark areas blows away any TN or PVA panel I've used. It's as good or better than my old CRT was.

The lack of a polarizer on the ZR24w means you tend to see the white bloom effect inherent to IPS panels. This is really the only flaw to newer/cheaper IPS tech; but it's still infinitely better than any TN panel and most of us prefer it to gamma shifting PVA images.

Still well worth the money.

Can someone tell me if there are any other sites at all that are offering this for around $400 with free shipping? I think there was CostCentral but I'm in PA so there's tax, and ShopBLT won't have any in until the 20th. My old LCD died and I'm having to use this ancient CRT that is too dim to see, blurry, magnetized from old speakers, tinted green etc. and I don't think I can put up with it until then.

Well, i`m still waiting to get mine.

I hope I won`t be disappointed as it`ll be my first ever Widescreen LCD Monitor.

Can anyone please recommend a decent wall arm bracket for this screen you can buy in the UK that can be positioned at numerous angles???

Thank you so much.

buy.com has for $408 with free shipping. Bottom Line Telecom has it for $403.76 with free shipping but I think they order as necessary and you'll wait for a long time. I've tried ordering from them one two different occasions and both times ended up cancelling and ordering from someone who had it.

finally heard back from HP on the email i sent them concerning the scaler.
3 days after i sent the email, all i get is.... well something less then helpful.

"I feel sorry to hear that you had to experience this issue with the Monitor. Let me see how best I can help you in this regard.

Lance in order to cross checking for the exact screen resolution. We will need the serial and product number of the Monitor in question.

The serial number is a 12-digit or a 10-digit alphanumeric, generally found on a sticker or a barcode sticker. This sticker is located on the rear end of most monitors, but may also be found on the side of the monitor. The monitor bar code would contain the following:

1. Serial number (Serial No) :

2 Model number (Model No.):

4. Product number:

I would appreciate if you could perform the above suggested steps and get back to us with your observation."

buy.com has for $408 with free shipping. Bottom Line Telecom has it for $403.76 with free shipping but I think they order as necessary and you'll wait for a long time. I've tried ordering from them one two different occasions and both times ended up cancelling and ordering from someone who had it.

I've heard very bad things about buy.com and ShopBLT won't have any until 4/20. Between those two, HP.com and CostCentral, I don't know of any others. Guess I'm just out of luck.

I would buy from buy.com just as willingfully as I was to buy from costcentral.com, but that is just me. Hell, at least I'd heard of buy.com. This was the first I'd ever even heard of costcentral.com. Personally I don't see the difference. They both offer minimal service to get you a low price. Any issues with the product outside of purchasing and shipping must be taken up with HP.

I would buy from buy.com just as willingfully as I was to buy from costcentral.com, but that is just me. Hell, at least I'd heard of buy.com. This was the first I'd ever even heard of costcentral.com. Personally I don't see the difference. They both offer minimal service to get you a low price. Any issues with the product outside of purchasing and shipping must be taken up with HP.

I wouldn't.

CostCentral: http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Cost_Central

Buy.com: http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Buy

The difference to me is getting the product to me effortlessly and without issue. I don't trust any site that gets terrible review after terrible review, especially not with a $400 monitor.

finally heard back from HP on the email i sent them concerning the scaler.
3 days after i sent the email, all i get is.... well something less then helpful.

"I feel sorry to hear that you had to experience this issue with the Monitor. Let me see how best I can help you in this regard.

Lance in order to cross checking for the exact screen resolution. We will need the serial and product number of the Monitor in question.

The serial number is a 12-digit or a 10-digit alphanumeric, generally found on a sticker or a barcode sticker. This sticker is located on the rear end of most monitors, but may also be found on the side of the monitor. The monitor bar code would contain the following:

1. Serial number (Serial No) :

2 Model number (Model No.):

4. Product number:

I would appreciate if you could perform the above suggested steps and get back to us with your observation."

What e-mail did you send your e-mail to? Or can you give me the link to the place where you can find the e-mail adress/fill out a form?
Because i have been looking for a way to get e-mail support for ZR24w but ZR24w doesn't seem to have any email support?

What e-mail did you send your e-mail to? Or can you give me the link to the place where you can find the e-mail adress/fill out a form?
Because i have been looking for a way to get e-mail support for ZR24w but ZR24w doesn't seem to have any email support?

Decivox posted it a few days ago.

You can now email them about the monitor, just checked this morning. The only problem is that I am at work and dont have my serial number.

http://h20180.www2.hp.com/apps/Nav?..._client=S-A-R311-2&h_page=hpcom&lang=en&cc=ca

I think reseller ratings is a small fraction of the reviews out there. Check out google's index of reviews of buy.com. It does seem that typically the google index of site reviews is almost always positive.

I guess I just have had good experiences most of the time buying online. I hear all these horror stories. I'm really sorry for those people.

Lawless2142 and others commenting on the black depth, what brightness setting did you have your monitor at? If anyone with the appropriate tools could post some actual figures (cd/m2 for black and screen, also contrast ratio) it would be great.

I've compared your pictures of a black screen to those of the EA231WMi, and the Nec seemed to had a better black level.
However this is hard to judge from pictures because it depends on the exposure time, angle of the screen, brightness setting, etc... That's why I'm asking for people's impressions.

It is not hard to judge from pictures. It is completely impossible. You can't adequately correct for variables even if you know the ones you mentioned - the layout and contents of the room have a big effect. The only chance is to check them side by side, or set up a test rig.

I wouldn't.

CostCentral: http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Cost_Central

Buy.com: http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Buy

The difference to me is getting the product to me effortlessly and without issue. I don't trust any site that gets terrible review after terrible review, especially not with a $400 monitor.

You know I've never heard of CostCentral until I read about them in this thread. People ended up getting what they ordered so I would be comfortable with ordering from CostCentral.

As for buy.com, I myself have ordered many things from them and have had no problems. But I have been swayed a bit by the bad reviews and tend to order from other places if I can.

I ordered mine from buy.com a few days ago for $395 shipped. Seems to fluctuate.

Does Costcentral email you when the item has been shipped I ordered wedesday last week and I would really hope it gets here this week.

The pics I've seen of this monitor look pretty good as far as lack of tint compared to the U2410 and 2209WA ... although there are a couple of complaints about it in this forum.

I guess I can live with having HP replace the panel if it has dead pixels, but I just can't put up with more panel swaps for pink/green tint. I'm not expecting perfect uniformity (after all, it's LG) just something that doesn't call attention to itself every time I look at a light background.

I wonder why Apple Cinema displays always look nice and uniformly white in the stores. Maybe it's because they don't have the same anti-glare treatment?

Hey guys,

Can someone please possibly post the best free software download that will allow me to check my new screen one I receive it for tint and dead pixels?

Thanks for responding.

Hey guys,

Can someone please possibly post the best free software download that will allow me to check my new screen one I receive it for tint and dead pixels?
You already have it. It's your desktop.

Extend your desktop to include the new monitor, which, depending upon your graphics drivers, will probably keep all icons on the old monitor and the new monitor will have a screen at the chosen background color, but empty of icons.

Set your background color to white and look for non-white pixels on the new monitor. Repeat for black background.

Stuck pixels of red, green or blue on a black background indicate subpixels of that color that are stuck on.

Stuck pixels of cyan, magenta, or yellow on a white background indicate dead subpixels of red, green, or blue, respectively.

Stuck pixels of other colors indicate multiple subpixel problems on the same pixel, e,g., a stuck cyan pixel on a black background indicates that both green and blue are stuck on for the same pixel, but red is not stuck on for that pixel - unlikely, but possible.

It's all just basic color combinations against appropriate backgrounds.

Abe

I have been playing around with this monitor a bit during the weekend but I'm not really happy with the colors.
Compared to my 20WGX2 this one has some issues, for example the grass in Heroes of Newerth is just plain and simple green.
Not much variation. While on the 20WGX2 I can clearly see that some parts of the grass are more green-brown and it just makes the finer details stand out and look "better".
Other than that I think the colors looks a bit pale in comparison.

I'm not sure if this is an issue with the monitor or if it’s just a calibration issue. What settings are you currently using for this monitor ?
Does anyone have a ICM profile I can try ?

Also compared to my 20WGX2 the blacks are not that good. Even with 0 brightness on the ZR24w and around 25 on the 20WGX2, the Nec wins.
No Dynamic contrast was enabled on any of the monitors.

I have been playing around with this monitor a bit during the weekend but I'm not really happy with the colors.
Compared to my 20WGX2 this one has some issues, for example the grass in Heroes of Newerth is just plain and simple green.
Not much variation. While on the 20WGX2 I can clearly see that some parts of the grass are more green-brown and it just makes the finer details stand out and look "better".
Other than that I think the colors looks a bit pale in comparison.

I'm not sure if this is an issue with the monitor or if it’s just a calibration issue. What settings are you currently using for this monitor ?
Does anyone have a ICM profile I can try ?

Also compared to my 20WGX2 the blacks are not that good. Even with 0 brightness on the ZR24w and around 25 on the 20WGX2, the Nec wins.
No Dynamic contrast was enabled on any of the monitors.

No offense but the 20WGX2 is probably one of the best ips panels ever made its gonna be hard to compare it with anything on market cause there aren't any glossy ips panels much less AS-IPS panels period. The contrast on the 20WGX2 is decent but not that great even after proper calibration , ips panels in general don't have fantastic contrast its one of the downsides.

I suppose it all comes down to you're own perception but the 20WGX2 is really one of kind that still is a fantastic monitor.

At last... now in the UK!

I spoke to HP this morning after getting an email from More to say they had it in stock. Checked the HP website and it was not showing, the guy on the phone said he would put it on the system but couldn't quite match the price at More (£299 inc vat, currently 45 in stock), said it should show up on the HP UK website later today.

http://www.morecomputers.com/extra.asp?pn=VM633AT#ABU&referer=Froogle

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/uk/e..._uk/en/smb/psg/psc404redirect-ot-xx-xx-/chev/

Back