HP ZR24w

ill know by the end of the week. i had to order an hdmi/dvi cable this evening for my ps3.

i had tried scale to aspect with diablo 2, 800x600, and i thought it worked quite well. kinda assumed it would the same for ps3/360

I have my PS3 connected through DVI. I havent tried it yet, was too busy playing BC2 for PC last night. I will try it when I get home from work tonight and I'll let you know how it turns out.

I didn't, at least not to call in and get a replacement with the two dead sub-pixels I have. That replacement transaction hasn't happened yet, so I'll update if something doesn't go well with it.

Assuming I do get it, I also had a question about ordering. The onsite dell service that people are getting, is that an additional warranty you guys are paying for, or is that something that is just offered whenever you buy their professional line monitors? Am I really looking at $425 out the door with HP direct (with free shipping it seems), or do I need to be adding some special warranties, etc for it to be worth going through them as opposed to costcentral?

The rep I spoke to on the phone just said they don't ship/mail out these size monitors for replacement. Instead, they deliver it by courier...I don't think a real 'tech' is coming out, at least not in my case. Doesn't sound like it's onsite service, just a delivery man (who should take away the old one too).

Last edited:
It just went in stock in one shop here in France.

I ordered one for starters.

It is not even on the French HP website.

Scale to Aspect Ratio worked with 1280x1024, I just can't get it to work with 720p or 1080p (the option is greyed out). =(
Has anyone got this working? I can live without 1:1 scaling but if aspect ratio scaling is not working, then... :mad:
Not sure if I should place an order...

I saw bb23's pic with what seemed like terrible screen door, but I wasn't 100% sure if that was an artifact of taking a picture with his camera. Anyone care to comment on this? If I was more comfortable about this aspect, i'd probably go ahead and order.
I just re-shot a load of pics using a newer camera and a tri-pod - and with no screen door effects. :D

I also started a new thread for mainly ZR24w pictures. (I hope that is okay to do.)

Anyway, it is here:
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1509381

so, rather unexpectedly, my new replacement monitor was delivered about 40 mins ago.
just finished looking things over and it all looks good.

the tech said he didnt even need to see my old monitor. just needed to swap out panels and had me sign a form, and that was it.

The monitor I had replaced, HP shipped it overnight. I've had it a couple of days and the replacement looks good. I shipped the other one back with the return label that HP provided. I setup dual display and the colors look so much better on the zr24w compared to my 6 yr old CRT. I have yet to calibrate it but I plan on doing that soon.

Any reviews on this??? I am looking for a monitor for websurfing, movies , and games. Would this fit the bill???

People keep saying this is the way to go.

Any reviews on this??? I am looking for a monitor for websurfing, movies , and games. Would this fit the bill???

People keep saying this is the way to go.

Dont expect a review for a few more months... Someone else in this thread pointed out it usually takes that amount of time for a good review from the handful of trusted sources.

So I got mine last night, and I'm having an annoying issue with it. I have it connected via Displayport to my 5770, and I have my old L246WP connected via DVI. Whenever I turn off the HP, Windows 7 decides that there isn't a monitor connected there anymore, and disables my extended desktop. This moves all my windows to the secondary monitor. When I turn the HP back on, it re-detects the display and moves all the windows to that monitor, regardless of where they were before I turned it off.

Is anyone else seeing this problem? I haven't tried putting the HP on DVI yet, but if that will fix it I have no problems doing so (not using eyefinity).

So I got mine last night, and I'm having an annoying issue with it. I have it connected via Displayport to my 5770, and I have my old L246WP connected via DVI. Whenever I turn off the HP, Windows 7 decides that there isn't a monitor connected there anymore, and disables my extended desktop. This moves all my windows to the secondary monitor. When I turn the HP back on, it re-detects the display and moves all the windows to that monitor, regardless of where they were before I turned it off.

Is anyone else seeing this problem? I haven't tried putting the HP on DVI yet, but if that will fix it I have no problems doing so (not using eyefinity).

This is a problem with Windows 7 that has existed for a long time apparently, and Microsoft has not put out a fix for it.

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7hardware/thread/84f41660-1933-4109-9b13-1ea8a1c27be7

That is the main thread, but there are a lot of others. I realize that this is for KVMs but there are a lot of smaller threads from people with your same issue. All microsoft tells them to do is to reinstall drivers... Which obviously doesn't work. I hope you find a fix!

Last edited:
In your re-link of your earlier post, the grey shot seemed to have had the screendooring that I was worried about. It seems in your newer post this is not showing up, so it was apparently just a camera thing.

Thanks a million for all of this help. It looks like i'll be going with this monitor. I think HP should start paying you as a marketing consultant. :D

Good idea, thanks.

I have now set the default source from DP to DVI on the panel in question.

It may now take a week to see if that solves this problem.

This didn't take a week. I just awoke my system from overnight sleep and had snow on both panels. This the first time the secondary panel lost signal.

So, setting the default source to DVI did not solve the problem, something else seems to be going on here and although I doubt it, unless other report the same, the source of the problem could be other than my HP ZR24w's.

In your re-link of your earlier post, the grey shot seemed to have had the screendooring that I was worried about. It seems in your newer post this is not showing up, so it was apparently just a camera thing.

Thanks a million for all of this help. It looks like i'll be going with this monitor. I think HP should start paying you as a marketing consultant. :D

I own this screen and can attest that there is no screen door effect... I was also worried about this but it is not there.

Any one use this for gaming???

What are your thoughts???

Played 4 hours of Bad Company to last night and there is no noticeable ghosting at all... I can not tell the difference between my old TN panel and this as far as input lag/responsiveness. I have overdrive enabled as well if that makes a difference. On paper its supposed to.

I own this screen and can attest that there is no screen door effect... I was also worried about this but it is not there.

Played 4 hours of Bad Company to last night and there is no noticeable ghosting at all... I can not tell the difference between my old TN panel and this as far as input lag/responsiveness. I have overdrive enabled as well if that makes a difference. On paper its supposed to.

What is "screen door effect"?

Does the color really look as good as eveyone says??? That much better that TN (it is much pricier)???

Are there coupon codes or deals, see poeple talking about them, but not any real specifics.

What is "screen door effect"?

Does the color really look as good as eveyone says??? That much better that TN (it is much pricier)???

Are there coupon codes or deals, see poeple talking about them, but not any real specifics.

Screen door effect: a phenomenon in which your eyes are able to visualize all the individual pixels on the screen.

There is no coupon codes for this and it is a deal right now, about $100 off the normal price as its a "promo" or "smart buy".

Balckbird,
If you use the ZR for photography work, the recommended luminance setting for any LCD is either 120cd/m^2 or 90cd/m^2 depending on who you talk to. The goal here is to match your LCD to what you print from a color and brightness standpoint. If that is not your goal, most people do use a setting of 120 or even higher for general purposes.

The Spyder 3 Pro, will allow you to set the levels that you want I am almost certain as my Spyder 2 pro allows me to. I believe that is what the pro" gets you. Choose 6500 and 2.2 gamma but then INPUT your luminance (bright) and dark settings. .5 for dark. It will ask you if you would rather do it by sight based on test patterns....this is useless with an LCD and I would not recommend going this route.

Then, play with your monitors hard adjustments to get it close as possible. It will allow you to make a setting and then "refresh" just that one reading (color/luminance/blackpoint). Choose "custom" for the LCD color and adjust the red/green/and blue manually. Do not just set sRGB and let the software do it all. If you do the adjustments on the monitor, the Spyder software will not have to adjust your video card too much more by writing to the LUT to get it closer to calibrated target values. I find this important because with windows....there are so many ways that you lose your LUT settings in your card....waking up from sleep, the "allow this program to run" pop up, etc. etc...It is nice if the monitor is pretty close at the default settings. If you do lose it, you can run "profile choose" and just switch back and forth between 2 profiles, and it will refresh.

And I would turn off the ambient lighting option. I find it gives inconsistent results but you can try it.

If you look a few pages back you will see my settings for just the calibration you are doing. Might be a starting point for you but based on your video card and driver software, there will be differences.

And MaZa, yes, this did calibrate to 6500/2.2 gamma, 90 lum/.5 black piont. It has the range to do it. As I said earlier, my only comment is that it looks a little less "saturated" than my prior calibrated monitor. However that one could not reach the bright-to-dark dynamic range this one can.

Hope this helps,
BJB

So 0.5 dark luminance (blackpoint) is recommended for all ZR24w displays? How have you came to the conclusion that 0.5 is best for ZR24w? Or is it the same thing for most monitors, like 2.2 gamma for example.

Should i set 6500k on the monitor and 6500k in the calibration software? Not sRGB on the monitor?

Btw, i have read something about that Internet Explorer isn't color aware, but firefox is if you set it.
But i can clearly see a difference in Internet Explorer when i disable/enable the calibration via the calibration software, exactly like i see the difference on desktop and everywhere else, how come?

Anyone can answer to these questions ;P not only BJB, because i would like to get these questions answered.

EDIT: I checked games now and my calibration works in games also! It's a very obvious difference.
I don't know what's going on... am i doing something wrong?

Last edited:
I pulled the trigger and ordered one in Germany from Cyclotron.de at 340 euro (+/-$400). It was in stock so I should be getting it sometime next week.

Most shops in Europe have the ZR24w listed with both the promo product number and the regular product number. The difference is over € 100 ($135), so if the HP rep told anyone the screen normally sells for $500, they probably weren't kidding!

This may be an industry first where early adaptors actually pay less than those who wait a bit! :D

I ordered three of these total now... I have TWO so far. No dead pixels. Uniformity seems to be enough for me not to notice. I don't see any bleeding of the backlight.

No dead pixels or stuck pixels that I can tell.

I've tried playing EQ2 and BC2 and using winamp's milkdrop. All three were awesome. I would consider the advantage of the two additional monitors "cheating" if they didnt cost me so much.

Maximizing things in eyefinity mode has some predictable but unfortunate results... I don't really need my web browser to be spread across all three panes. Maybe there's a management software I haven't found yet for this (any ideas?).

Tomorrow or Monday I should have three of these in eyefinity. I have a BenQ FP241VW that I have been using (http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?Item=N82E16824014133).

Personally, I like the ZR24W and I think it's worth what I paid but I do notice a bit of sparkle on whites (doesn't seem to be a lot though like some TVs I've seen). It is acceptable. I'm not too sure about the screen's finish yet. I have not yet fiddled with any settings from within the OSD because out of the box it seemed okay to me.

Are there even any games that an HD4850 could push to 1920x1200? Probably time to upgrade the card.

Hey celox!

Would you mind posting some pics here, or in the Eyefinity thread after you get your third zr24w? Would love to see them in eyefinity action. Was planning for that as well, but unfortunately it's way over my budget (unless I can finally sell some of the crap I have lying around the house).

I wonder when the first "official" reviews will come out.

Last edited:
I ordered three of these total now... I have TWO so far. No dead pixels. Uniformity seems to be enough for me not to notice. I don't see any bleeding of the backlight.

No dead pixels or stuck pixels that I can tell.

I've tried playing EQ2 and BC2 and using winamp's milkdrop. All three were awesome. I would consider the advantage of the two additional monitors "cheating" if they didnt cost me so much.

Maximizing things in eyefinity mode has some predictable but unfortunate results... I don't really need my web browser to be spread across all three panes. Maybe there's a management software I haven't found yet for this (any ideas?).

Tomorrow or Monday I should have three of these in eyefinity. I have a BenQ FP241VW that I have been using (http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?Item=N82E16824014133).

Personally, I like the ZR24W and I think it's worth what I paid but I do notice a bit of sparkle on whites (doesn't seem to be a lot though like some TVs I've seen). It is acceptable. I'm not too sure about the screen's finish yet. I have not yet fiddled with any settings from within the OSD because out of the box it seemed okay to me.

How do they game??? Any ghosting???

I didn't notice any ghosting or input lag on mine when I was playing League of Legends on it last night. Seems comparable to my L246WP in that regard. So far I'm really happy with it, apart from the displayport/windows 7 issue I'm having. Hopefully using DVI instead will fix that, though.

I hope you know that games don't care for your software calibration, neither do 99,99% of applications. So the colorimeter will only help you calibrate with the monitor OSD, maybe not worth the expense.

I thought it was like that, but apparently when i calibrate my current monitor (HP W2207h) with Spyder 3 Elite the calibration works with EVERYTHING which is shown on the monitor.
So all games+100% of applications cares of my software calibration.
You were wrong with only 99.991% :p

Last edited:
I thought it was like that, but apparently when i calibrate my current monitor (HP W2207h) with Spyder 3 Elite the calibration works with EVERYTHING which is shown on the monitor.

Not really. They all benefit from the hardware configuration you set while using the Spyder (brightness, contrast, rgb sliders, etc.), but the resulting color profile is only respected by programs that are color-aware like Photoshop, etc. Other programs ignore that color profile and display colors the way they see fit instead of the way you tell them to.

Think I installed the drivers, esp. the .inf file, then Display Assistant. What interface are you using? I am on display port. Try setting monitor to factory settings in OSD and see if that makes any difference as to whether the tabs remain greyed-out.

I'm using DVI. I'll try this again, I think I had already changed settings in the OSD before I installed the HPDA and drivers.

Edit: Didn't work. uninstalled everything, restarted, then installed 1).inf and .icm (manually), 2) HPDA. Tabs are still greyed out. Dunno what the deal is.

Anyone that's calibrated this monitor have a list of optimal settings that I can input in the OSD?

Last edited:
Not really. They all benefit from the hardware configuration you set while using the Spyder (brightness, contrast, rgb sliders, etc.), but the resulting color profile is only respected by programs that are color-aware like Photoshop, etc. Other programs ignore that color profile and display colors the way they see fit instead of the way you tell them to.

I never touched any of the settings on my monitor, i only let the software do it all.

Well, mine arrived today, and I have to say that this monitor definitely lives up to the hype. It fits my needs perfectly. My only complaint so far is it seems like there is a tiny piece of residue covering a few of the sub-pixels, resulting in a sort of greyish half-dead pixel. This is what I mean:

IMG_9898.jpg

I see HP's policy has something about microscopic contaminants, but I wanted to find out if that's what I'm actually seeing here.

I have an eye-one display 2, will have to try calibrating this later.

How do you get into the service menu?

Can people please post firmware, panel rev p& PI date please

its in the OSD under information. theres also a ton more info in the monitor display assistant software. thats located in display assistant/options/asset ID.

info from mine is...
mnf date - week 09 2010
EDID Revision 1.3
Firmware V0.23G

Just got off the phone with HP, 51 minutes. I know my serial number by heart now after repeating it every 2 minutes. I have a dead pixel and some debris in another spot.

If you need to call make sure you go with business, home didn't have any information on the monitor and i might have wasted 20 min there.

They said they will get back to me.

Well, mine arrived today, and I have to say that this monitor definitely lives up to the hype. It fits my needs perfectly. My only complaint so far is it seems like there is a tiny piece of residue covering a few of the sub-pixels, resulting in a sort of greyish half-dead pixel. This is what I mean:

IMG_9898.jpg

I see HP's policy has something about microscopic contaminants, but I wanted to find out if that's what I'm actually seeing here.

I have an eye-one display 2, will have to try calibrating this later.

how did you spot that? i wouldnt be able to see that with the naked eye

How does this monitor compare to the hp w2207h. Just curious, thanks.

how did you spot that? i wouldnt be able to see that with the naked eye
I had something similar - a piece of plastic from the packaging - and thought it was a dead pixel till I realized that it wasn't shaped like a pixel, and flicked it off the screen with the back of my thumbnail!

Had it for 2 days now - almost all positive. No dead or stuck pixels, very uniform intensity, no color tint. No screendoor, no problem with the anti-reflective coating. I have not calibrated, and am unlikely to do so. Black and white movies show no tint whatever. I just wish it had 75 Hz refresh, but 60 is not really a problem so far. Wish it had HDMI, but again, not a big deal.

The stand is a masterpiece of good engineering. Nothing like the flimsy contraptions often mentioned in reviews of cheaper units. Heavy, sturdy, and well designed, no wobble with this unit. All movements are easy to do, and work just as you would hope they would - smoothly and easily - but not likely to happen by accident.

I'm running XP SP3, use DVI, and did not install any software from the CD. Display was immediately recognized by ATI's Catalyst Control Center.

No perceptible input lag with Quake IV and 1600x1200, the game's max resolution.

I got mine from HP (because of the return policy), who told me it would be shipped from Houston, but it was actually shipped from Indiana. Packaging was excellent, and UPS did not dent or mangle.

This has got to be the value leadet for 24" - 1920x1200, no real problems, excellent performance, and a fair price. It's now obvious why HP stopped selling the 2475. Pro photographers are still likely to go with more expensive units, but for the rest of us, this is a fine unit and a great value at present.

Back