HP ZR24w

and said:
So the ZR24w doesn't have that corner glow? Very good news. I was afraid all current IPS panels have it.
Thanks also for pointing out the tinting.

It still has a bit of off-angle glare (corner glow if you sit too close), but I would say it is drastically less than the Dell u2410. At 2ft length the corners on my ZR24w glow ever so slightly, at 3ft it is not visible.

Update on my panel:
I was expecting to get someone on the phone in the next 2-3 business days, instead I was greeted with a tech at the door today (Good Friday, too). Panel replacement is from what I can tell free of defects - no dead pixels and no visible tinting.

I asked if it was standard practice to send someone out so quickly. I was told that it sometimes ends up that way but that they were also concerned that a batch of ZR24w's were having more issues than most, and that they were collecting serial numbers of any defective units.

Couldn't be happier with the monitor or the service from HP at this point, especially for $425 direct from the manufacturer.

-sfhf

Thanks for that Xeltic. I knew it was you who told me about the pixel calculator before, but I could not remember how to spell your name and I was too lazy to go looking for the post. I did bookmark the calculator though. :)

I appreciate the options - I don't see overscan on the Samsung, but I will look more deeply later. Interesting idea to stretch the VGA to align with the HP. The side screens are just part of peripheral vision anyway, so this may work. Of course, if I lose what is behind the bezel, it may not be worth it. Worth trying though. I wonder how Eyefinity programmers are doing with their taking into account "the bezel" part of their programming of Eyefinity. I read they were looking to improve it, but I don't remember much else about it.
Hmm, come to think of it, have you tried the bezel compensation option in the latest Catalyst drivers? Not sure if it helps, but it might alleviate it somewhat as well.

It still has a bit of off-angle glare (corner glow if you sit too close), but I would say it is drastically less than the Dell u2410. At 2ft length the corners on my ZR24w glow ever so slightly, at 3ft it is not visible.

Update on my panel:
I was expecting to get someone on the phone in the next 2-3 business days, instead I was greeted with a tech at the door today (Good Friday, too). Panel replacement is from what I can tell free of defects - no dead pixels and no visible tinting.

I asked if it was standard practice to send someone out so quickly. I was told that it sometimes ends up that way but that they were also concerned that a batch of ZR24w's were having more issues than most, and that they were collecting serial numbers of any defective units.

Couldn't be happier with the monitor or the service from HP at this point, especially for $425 direct from the manufacturer.

-sfhf

Wait, I'm not 100% clear which monitor you sent back and which one they gave you. The original one had glowing at 2ft, or the one you have now? Or do both exhibit this trait? All three of mine do, which as you said goes away at 3ft.

I'm kind of curious what range of serial numbers these guys are suspecting.

Good news, sfhf!

[X]eltic;1035541389 said:
Hmm, come to think of it, have you tried the bezel compensation option in the latest Catalyst drivers? Not sure if it helps, but it might alleviate it somewhat as well.
No, I didn't try that. I think I have their latest version too, at least on my gaming boot drive.

Rock&Roll said:
Wait, I'm not 100% clear which monitor you sent back and which one they gave you. The original one had glowing at 2ft, or the one you have now? Or do both exhibit this trait? All three of mine do, which as you said goes away at 3ft.

I'm kind of curious what range of serial numbers these guys are suspecting.

They both exhibit the glow at 2ft, but I do not consider this a defect. IPS panels tend to have some level of off-angle glare, just like TN panels fade to gray/black at off-angles. This has been my experience, fwiw. Maybe someone with a glossy covered IPS instead of a matte could comment? Apple Cinema etc.

I do not know what serial number range is suspected, I got the feeling they were just collecting information at this point.

-sfhf

Sounds good enough for me. :) (It certainly won't compete with a "polarized" NEC, and I don't expect that.)
I also hope it has a better black than the U2410, something like the LP2475w. Anyway, I care more about the glow.

When I am viewing text....say for example the text on this forum, I see some greens and reds around various letters. [...]
Most noticeable on smaller text and it varies with the zoom. Does the ZR24W use a different sub-pixel structure such that you need to change cleartype's setting or is it just tuning it? [...]
Do other people with this monitor see what I am describing? Normal for this type of panel? Or a problem with my unit? Since it goes away when I turn cleartype off, I am leaning toward a tweak issue with cleartype.
I've seen the same on the U2410; though I don't really know what causes it. The sub-pixel structure is basically the same as that of a TN (as far as my eyes and my camera could see), I'm pretty certain that this is not the cause.
Someone told me it might be caused by the AG coating.

I noticed from flatpanelshd.com that the 22 has a UH-IPS panel and the 24 has a H2-IPS panel. What is the difference??? Thanks

I noticed from flatpanelshd.com that the 22 has a UH-IPS panel and the 24 has a H2-IPS panel. What is the difference??? Thanks

Well, one difference is the rated brightness (typical):

ZR22w: 250 cd/m²
ZR24w: 400 cd/m²

Another is the rated response rate (typical):

ZR22w: 8 ms
ZR24w: 5 ms

The ZR24w also has a higher dot-pitch than the ZR22w, which is actually only a 21.5" display.

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF06a/382087-382087-64283-72270-3884471-4101127.html
http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF06a/382087-382087-64283-72270-3884471-4101131.html

Well, one difference is the rated brightness (typical):

ZR22w: 250 cd/m²
ZR24w: 400 cd/m²

Another is the rated response rate (typical):

ZR22w: 8 ms
ZR24w: 5 ms

The ZR24w also has a higher dot-pitch than the ZR22w, which is actually only a 21.5" display.

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF06a/382087-382087-64283-72270-3884471-4101127.html
http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF06a/382087-382087-64283-72270-3884471-4101131.html

What affect will the different rated brightnesses and dot-pitch have? I'm not worried about the response rate.

This is my first IPS, and wow. The color quality between my BenQ G2400WD and this is huge.

Edit: The bottom lip of the monitor will reflect which is slightly annoying

Last edited:
To the poster asking about the Clear Type tuner. I am pretty sure this is the one I used on my Vista 64 system for 2-3 years. Still had it saved in an old desktop folder on an external hard drive. Not sure what the specs say but it worked for me. My eyes aren't what they use to be so glad the tuner is now part of Windows 7. When I open the page I just check the Clear Type box and it leads through the steps to tune. See if it doesn't work on your system. By the way, I haven't noticed any of the color aberrations in the text that you mentioned but then I already had Clear Type set up and running when I installed the ZR24w. Still loving this monitor!

http://www.microsoft.com/typography/ClearType/tuner/tune.aspx

What affect will the different rated brightnesses

As many people like myself are running their ZR24w's with the brightness turned down, I don't see the lower brightness being a downside for the ZR22w with most people.

... and dot-pitch have?

Well, the ZR22w is not just 1920 x 1080 (versus 1920 x 1200), it is 1920 x 1080 squeezed on to a smaller surface area. But I have 1920 x 1200 crammed on to a 17" MacBook Pro, so I do not see a problem here either. People with less than perfect vision may prefer the ZR24w though.

If the size (21.5"), the resolution (1920 x 1080) and low price (~$289) of ZR22w works for you, then you should be probably get it. But make sure you compare it with the NEC EA231WMI which is only $280 (with promo code EMCYRYZ62) shipped from NewEgg right now:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824002524

I finally put in my order for 2 monitors. I know I won't get it for another 2 weeks, but I'm okay with that.

Anyone knows the price in europe for the zr24w ?

And is it already hitting european stores?

Does anyone know if the HP's 'Zero Bright Dots Guarantee' applies to this monitor? Just received my ZR24W today and there is a bright dot red pixel.

The HP policy indicates that 'certain' 24" monitors have this guarantee, but since the ZR24W is so new, not sure if the policy also apply to this monitor.

As many people like myself are running their ZR24w's with the brightness turned down, I don't see the lower brightness being a downside for the ZR22w with most people.

Well, the ZR22w is not just 1920 x 1080 (versus 1920 x 1200), it is 1920 x 1080 squeezed on to a smaller surface area. But I have 1920 x 1200 crammed on to a 17" MacBook Pro, so I do not see a problem here either. People with less than perfect vision may prefer the ZR24w though.

If the size (21.5"), the resolution (1920 x 1080) and low price (~$289) of ZR22w works for you, then you should be probably get it. But make sure you compare it with the NEC EA231WMI which is only $280 (with promo code EMCYRYZ62) shipped from NewEgg right now:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824002524

Thanks for the info. Also, I have been looking at the NEC EA231WMI but cannot decide. There have not been any reviews on the ZR22W so I cannot compare the two. I know the EA231WMI has got decent review but I know there are some backlight bleeding problems.

joe74 said:
Does anyone know if the HP's 'Zero Bright Dots Guarantee' applies to this monitor? Just received my ZR24W today and there is a bright dot red pixel.

The HP policy indicates that 'certain' 24" monitors have this guarantee, but since the ZR24W is so new, not sure if the policy also apply to this monitor.

The ZR24w is supposed to be a replacement for the LP2475w, which is on the "Zero Bright Dots Guarantee" - not much on the HP site is updated for the ZR24w yet. The product page doesn't even have the correct stats last time I check.

Being that the ZR24w is a replacement for a monitor on the list, I am 99% certain it is covered - but you may as well call, and if the answer is no I am sure this forum's readers would love to know that.

-sfhf

So about 10 pages ago I reported I got mine and it was totally messed. After talking to HP, they stated they'd send a tech out (?!) to replace it. The rep explained that business-class monitors 24" and larger have in-person tech service. Sweet. Maybe it's the cute rep I ordered from on the phone? :rolleyes:

I see a lot of new names, so for those who don't want to bother, the screen was flickering with vertical lines the moment I hooked it up via DVI, VGA using an HD3650 as well as on-board.

Just a few bad apples...

Sorry, I think I asked the question wrong. What are your calibration settings? Brightness, contrast, R, G, B values, etc.?

Sure, no problem:
Brightness 10
Cont 55
Red 255
Green 187
Blue 222

Of course as I am sure you are aware, with different video cards and monitor samples, your results will not be identical. But it will give you a sense.

Good luck. Still need to play with cleartype. I guess if it is just my monitor I'll return it. I mean it is not awful, but it is there with it on and GONE with it off...

BJB

Happened to see a HP ZR24W. Impressions, vs my 2475:
* very similar in terms of looks, interfaces (2475 has a HDMI while this one doesnt).
* screens look very similar
* very similar interfaces ...
* same problems: when I look at the screen from the top or the sides, I see the same amount of glow and feels like a TN monitor due to this .... my old trusty Dell 2005FPW doesnt have this issue though its a LG IPS monitor

The normal gamut feels so much better ... no color management required. If you liked the 2475, you should like this one, maybe even more. And I paid 550 for my 2475 and this costs ~420 .... its a no brainer if it calibrates well. Lets see what the expert reviews say ...

By the way, I haven't noticed any of the color aberrations in the text that you mentioned but then I already had Clear Type set up and running when I installed the ZR24w. Still loving this monitor!
[/url]

Thanks. I finally found the registry settings and they were set correctly.

If you don't see the color aberrations with very small black lettering on a white background (my two "ll's next to each other on this post look like Christmas trees with a green ghost if I look closely), "r" and "h" get the red treatment.
If I type a long row of repeating "l"s in a word document, say zoomed to 2/16ths of an inch tall, the green is very obvious....I guess I may have a panel issue.
BJB

Hello, new to this forum, first post ! :)

I see.

If not a typo, I am guessing that the VM633AT#ABB is perhaps the European discounted "promo" version.

It is certainly the same ZR24w display that we are discussing here.

It might just be the European version period, ie with the right kind of plug.

I just found the first price for this monitor in my country (France), and it looks very promising (335€, same as NEC EA231WMI that I almost bought). I was ready to buy a Dell U2410 at more than 500€, but after reading lots of messages here and on my forum, I decided that wide gamut was just too much a pain for me. So there was only the NEC left, but smaller and 1920*1080. I had 1200 lines for 10 years so this was a big problem for me, but my current screen (24" Iolair MVA) is dying fast, and the previous 21" IBM Trinitron CRT is now recycled.

The link for the French price : http://www.pc21.fr/news/nouveaute_-_hp_zr24w_24_lcd_1920x1200_6866147.html

BTW it's also VM633AT#ABB

I see the same kind of prices on an European price comparator : http://geizhals.at/eu/a519550.html

No availability yet, I hope not for too long !

I was going to pick one or two and mix them with my MVA, but at this price, it will be 3 from the beginning. I just received my EK watercooled HD5870 to go with them.

Hi!

Really strange pricing - but then, maybe just the OSD EU language?

VM633A4 = 484 €
http://www.estock.fr/basketadd.php?partnumber=VM633A4&eStockSID=286e7e6ba600a695710bf6971af0515e

VM633A8#ABA = 633 €
http://www.estock.fr/basketadd.php?partnumber=VM633A8#ABA&eStockSID=286e7e6ba600a695710bf6971af0515e

VM633AT#ABB = 378 €
http://www.estock.fr/basketadd.php?partnumber=VM633AT#ABB&eStockSID=286e7e6ba600a695710bf6971af0515e

Really hope that the cheaper price does not include a cheaper panel or something else substandard.

[X]eltic;1035514290 said:
Yeah, it's not entirely the same, but since the screen has a vertical height of 1200 pixels, and the resolution of 1600x1200 has a vertical height of 1200 pixels as well, it should give the same effect as 1:1. My current graphics card doesn't allow 1:1 with a software setting. At least, I haven't found any option in the ATI CCC that allows me to do it.

That option has been there for years. But I admit it's not easy to find. Go to desktops and displays in the CCC, then click the little black triangle on the screen in the bottom part, not the one in the middle. Chose "configure". There, you have "image scaling".

If anyone knows how to align these better, using just the monitors' OSD, Windows 7, and/or Catalyst, I would sure appreciate it. One person here already told me that I would probably have to set a custom resolution that works for all three using the pixel calculator linked below - but I am hoping that I can keep the 3x1600:1200 resolution.
http://thirdculture.com/joel/shumi/computer/hardware/ppicalc.html

You can't align any better, especially not for games (unless eyefinity evolves on this part), because the only way would be for the center screen to display the same number of pixels in less height, which obviously it can't do.

But the bigger problem I see with your setup is actually the aspect ratio on your center screen. All things and people are stretched, just like when looking a 4/3 TV program stretched on a 16/9 screen, with your favorite host looking like she gained 50 pounds.

You can't align any better, especially not for games (unless eyefinity evolves on this part), because the only way would be for the center screen to display the same number of pixels in less height, which obviously it can't do.

But the bigger problem I see with your setup is actually the aspect ratio on your center screen. All things and people are stretched, just like when looking a 4/3 TV program stretched on a 16/9 screen, with your favorite host looking like she gained 50 pounds.
I see. I also tried 1440x900 which makes the center screen look fine (no stretching, just larger) but then the side screens look proportionately way too small.

So thanks for the valuable information! I definitely will be saving up for two more ZR24w's. At least I can tell my wife I did my best to avoid this! :p

how extreme is the off angle glow? is as long as your mostly infront of the screen, you cant see it? one of hte main reasons i went with ips was so i didnt have to put up with his crap. my old 2001fp here has no off angle glare at all, unless i look at it sideways.

What can I expect in going from an NEC 20WMGX2 to this monitor? I mean, aside from gaining 4" and a higher resolution.

This NEC was my first LCD, bought based on ridiculously positive reviews. It cost $600. This ZR24w costs $175 less, and it's way bigger. So that tells me that my NEC is probably inherently superior, but I don't understand in what ways. I'm expecting some sort of image quality decrease if I get this new HP, but I'm trying to understand how much so. Anyone have any insight on this?

So why are people buying 120Hz monitors at the same price as these if they're just TN panels? I can see how 120Hz could be smoother but it seems like they're buying them for 3D that seems like a gimmick.

The cleartype color issues I was seeing were made worse by having my Sharpness set to 5. If I recall the default is 4....back on 4, the effect is lessened. (Edit:Changing the fontsmoothing value to 1400 hex helps a lot!)

To get the best sharpeness, what is the right combination of settings in ATI Catalyst GPU scaling and the ZR24's overscan option? Strictly for non-video applications?

Thanks for all the help here!
BJB

Last edited:
So why are people buying 120Hz monitors at the same price as these if they're just TN panels? I can see how 120Hz could be smoother but it seems like they're buying them for 3D that seems like a gimmick.

If they want 3D, there is no alternative at the time. Well, there is one, the Zalman monitor, but it's quite worse than a classical TN to use.

Now, if they don't want 3D, they want the high refresh rate, reminiscent of the good old big CRTs, ideal for fps gaming. They go for refresh rate above all else. Most of them, like most people in general, just don't care about color shifting or things like that, and when they see a totally glossy screen with oversaturated colors, they think it's the best screen in the world.

Now I personally hope that 120Hz comes to IPS as well, and the fact that most TV are IPS means that it will.

Back