HP ZR24w

Originally Posted by jpeake
I set the brightness to 45, looks great. Leave my PC for a while and it goes to sleep (as does monitor). Come back an hour later and press a keyboard key to wake up machine. Machine and monitor come back to life, and the monitor brightness is at 90 again and almost melts my eyes.

TRy another connection, not displayport.
Also , if you are using sRGB color space, try changing color space, I have seen other monitors resetting default br/contr when using sRGB.
Tell us what o/s you are using and if you have installed DisplayAssistant, this software can alter settings (monitor settings and also graphic card LUT) at power up and wakeup , if you installed it try disable/remove it (temporarely) and report if the problem is still there.

hah... back in stock at CC, and i get held up again. looks like tomorrow or monday ill be ordering. i was just told by my dad that the place he works for has a contract with HP, so hes going to get me a price on one of these tomorrow.

I've ordered one too, will surely report about it when I have it. It's out of stock currently, but they are expecting it again in two weeks. Normally, I wait for reviews first, but all the user reports in this thread reassured me enough. And to be honest, it's impossible to find an alternative at the moment, so this is pretty much the only choice available now with these characteristics:

-S-IPS
-1920x1200
-Standard gamut

TRy another connection, not displayport.
Also , if you are using sRGB color space, try changing color space, I have seen other monitors resetting default br/contr when using sRGB.
Tell us what o/s you are using and if you have installed DisplayAssistant, this software can alter settings (monitor settings and also graphic card LUT) at power up and wakeup , if you installed it try disable/remove it (temporarely) and report if the problem is still there.

Win 7 x64. Using the "ZR24w" colorspace profile. Not the sRGB one.

Seems that removing the HP Display Assistant software did the trick. It now stays where I save it. I suppose I may need to setup a profile in the HP software and set it there for it to work. But I'd rather not have a useless app running, so I will leave it uninstalled.

So with that solved, I now declare it is a perfect monitor for a home user (70% FPS gamer, 20% web browser, 10% photo editor). I will try dialing in the settings using the tools at lagom.com. But honeslty, to my eyes it looks great after only dialing down brightness (ended up lowering contrast a bit too).

Well done HP

Please, can someone owning a CRT monitor do the input lag test at lagom.nl? bb23 and mrh3138 already performed an input lag test using the white bars program, but lagom.nl provides a timer which shows a more precise result. Knowing the delay in ms would allow to compare it to other monitors to get a better idea. Remember to set your shutter speed to 1/60s or faster, and setting both monitors to the same refresh rate.

Please, can someone owning a CRT monitor do the input lag test at lagom.nl? bb23 and mrh3138 already performed an input lag test using the white bars program, but lagom.nl provides a timer which shows a more precise result. Knowing the delay in ms would allow to compare it to other monitors to get a better idea. Remember to set your shutter speed to 1/60s or faster, and setting both monitors to the same refresh rate.

I will do this tonight. Is it accurate to just use a DVI/VGA adapter to push my CRT? And run the HP off another port (using DP now, but could change to DVI to test)

I will do this tonight. Is it accurate to just use a DVI/VGA adapter to push my CRT? And run the HP off another port (using DP now, but could change to DVI to test)
I don't know. This is probably accurate enough, but I'll let someone more knowledgeable answer to these questions.

[X]eltic;1035537069 said:
I've ordered one too, will surely report about it when I have it. It's out of stock currently, but they are expecting it again in two weeks. Normally, I wait for reviews first, but all the user reports in this thread reassured me enough. And to be honest, it's impossible to find an alternative at the moment, so this is pretty much the only choice available now with these characteristics:

-S-IPS
-1920x1200
-Standard gamut

That's exactly why I pulled the trigger early. There's basically nothing else in this category other than the NEC 2490wuxi (original), which I would love, but it's hardly available anywhere and is over $1000.

I have an eye-one display 2 colorimeter that I'm going to use on this ZR24w - hopefully I can get a bunch of photos and info tonight if i have time.

The biggest downside to the monitor so far is that there is a large amount of off-angle white glow on very dark colors (but this might be exaggerated due to me not yet turning down the brightness)

I'll try to put together a somewhat organized report/review tonight/tomorrow

those that ordered through costcentral..do we have to register our monitors to HP for them to honor/activate the warranty?

I was looking at the ZR22W because I am strapped for money. But I noticed from flatpanelshd.com that the 22 has a UH-IPS panel and the 24 has a H2-IPS panel. What is the difference?

HP Display Assistant is correct, but I suspect this is Windows only software.

I have yet to look at the manual, but I do not see any way create "pre-sets" or save settings in the OSD menus.

It's there. I have two presets already, one for viewing in normal light and one very dim setting for when the lights are off. Changing them is as simple as a few clicks on your desktop.

What kind of viewing distance do you have for this size of monitor? I'm getting new table also to home so I wonder what should be the depth of the table to get appropriate viewing distance.. I'm currently using 15.4" laptop :mad:

Just got my trio. Turns out, my camera must suck pretty bad, as I my input-lag tests were too good to be true. So, the only thing I can offer is subjective. That is, in testing with FPS games, I didn't notice any unusual blur or lag. I was able to to still be effective with precision aiming. Not saying these are as good as a CRT. But, good enough for my purposes.

Anyhow, all three panels came void of defects. No dead pixels, and the colors are very consistent across all three. I do find that If I sit closer than 2-feet away from the monitors, I begin to notice backlight bleed on dark backgrounds. But, that's about it. I think 2ft is a little too close anyhow.

Now I just need a pair of 5870 E6 cards and I'm off to the races.

I just ordered 2 of them from HP directly via phone.

Two things to note:

they "accidentaly" charged me for shipping which they will refund shortly -- Make sure you let them know that you want the free shipping!!!

Note the order detail says 1920 x 1080??? Not sure why

Details of order receipt below:
HP Promo ZR24w 24-inch Widescreen LCD Monitor VM633A8#ABA
PN: VM633A8#ABAA
HP Promo ZR24w 24-inch Widescreen LCD Monitor
1 DisplayPort connector, 1 DVI-D connector, 1 VGA connector, HDCP support on DisplayPort and DVI.
1000:1 Contrast Ratio
400 nits
Tilt: –5° to +30°
10,0 cm (3.94 in)
Yes
178/178 degrees
less than 95 Watts
1920 x 1080
7 ms response time
Asset control supported
No integrated speakers, HP Speaker Bar optional
Anti-Glare and Anti-Static
3-year parts, 3-year labor, 3-year onsite limited warranty. Next business day exchange available.

Anyone with Nvidia cards, can you please tell me what's a good setting for Digital Vibrance?

I leave D.V. alone, unless i'm using a shitty monitor. IMO, these zr24w's don't need it.

The biggest downside to the monitor so far is that there is a large amount of off-angle white glow on very dark colors (but this might be exaggerated due to me not yet turning down the brightness)

I'll try to put together a somewhat organized report/review tonight/tomorrow

Looking forward to it. I also noticed the "off-angle white glow" but thought maybe it was just overhead lighting reflecting off my desk surface. But i see it exactly as you describe. Maybe Something with the screen coating. I moved it to the same position as my Dell 2005 was sitting, and then back again to compare the two at same viewing angle. It is noticeable compared to my other screen.

But other than when I was actually looking for it, I didn't notice it too much. Didn't bother me a bit while playing games. Viewing this forum is where I first noticed it, as the black background brings it out...

Is the white glow only visible at an angle or also when you are sitting directly in front of the monitor?

Well a late reply. I didn't get to fiddle with it but for about 20 minutes.

No dead/stuck pixels out of the box.

Excellent uniformity, no banding noticeable on any color. Very high field of view and no color shifting. So really pleased in this area.

Can disable the LED on the power button, very handy. Buttons are touch on the front, rather than on the bottom, huge plus for me due to how my arm mounts.

No perceptible screen door effect and low graininess.

Came with a lot of cables. Not a big deal to me, but nice they were included.

I'm in my 30s now, and I'm not as quick as I once was, but I personally noticed zero input lag. I played about 20 seconds of TF2 and some Peggle...Honestly didn't have time to do anything else other than make sure it was fine in an FPS. No ghosting in any of the quick tests I ran.

But note, my eyes and reflexes ain't what they used to be, YMMV.

Complaints:

Note, what follows is based on OOTB settings with the brightness turned down some. I've done zero changes, and my observations may change once more properly calibrated.

Considerably more backlight bleed than I was hoping for. I'm probably more picky about this than other folks. Tended to be higher on the left side as well. Not a deal breaker, just not as low as I'd hoped. Only noticeable on a blank screesaver, or during color gradient tests where the dark portion starts on the left.

Slightly dark corners on a solid white screen. Only other fault I could really find.

If this were reviewed in something like Maximum PC at a $400-$425 price point, it would probably be a 9 or a 10. Maybe a point lower at $500.

It won't match a high end NEC or Ezio of course, but it is a bargain for a prosumer or production workstation. I would rate it a 7, but keep in mind 99% of LCDs I would rate a 3 or 4 at best. With Ezio or NEC rating 9s.

The only other monitor I would consider replacing this with would be the Apple 27" Cinema when it comes out in a few months (maybe) and if it comes in under $1,000. Otherwise, don't see me replacing this.

I purchased this monitor from HP direct and received it this week. It does look beautiful. I did have a full dead pixel in the lower left corner, a little right of the start button in windows 7. I was planning on taking up HP on their 30 day return policy and get another. It seems like most people here got dead pixel free monitors, so i thought i would give it another try.

HP will not accept an item on their 30 day return policy if it has a defect aka dead pixel/scratch. It must be handled through the lcd technical support department. After 1.5 hrs on the phone, they created a case, I assume it gets reviewed under the warranty policy if it is acceptable for exchange. In the end, the case manager accepted the return and they are going to ship me another overnight and send me a shipping label to return the monitor with the bad pixel.

I talked to a sales person and they said had I not told them about the bad pixel, the process would have been smoother, it would have been handled as a return vs warranty. In the end it seems to have worked out through the technical support but if you plan on returning the monitor to HP, they will probably help you out in the end but it may be painful in the process.

It's there. I have two presets already, one for viewing in normal light and one very dim setting for when the lights are off. Changing them is as simple as a few clicks on your desktop.

"a few clicks on your desktop"?

I was wondering about setting up "presets" in panel itself via the OSD.

It sounds like you are talking about something else.

CRTvsZR24_1.jpg

CRTvsZR24_2.jpg

CRT lag test comparison is done. figuring out how to post pics now

HP is on displayport. CRT is on DVI with VGA adapter. Running on HD 5870, Win 7 x64

Here are a couple showing the CRT vs my older screen, Dell 2005FPW (just for comparison sake)

CRTvs2005FPW_1.jpg

CRTvs2005FPW_2.jpg

Last edited:
Jpeake: this is weird.
Can someone check if their monitor forgets its brightness / contrast settings after going to sleep or shutting down?

Ok, I just had a sleep related issue on one of my ZR24w's.

I left for about an hour, came back and my system and ZR24w's were sleeping.

Upon awaking, one of the two ZR24w's was displaying "snow".

I was not able to be immediately fix it by re-selecting the DVI input source.

Instead, I power cycled the display using the front button and it immediately regained signal.

Why is one shot 14ms behind and the other is 28ms behind? Either way seems pretty good.

Just set mine up; so pretty! I can actually stand up and still read what I'm typing in this box (damn TNs)!

Off to BB to return my other monitor, and then time for games. :D

Anyone know if the LCD-194 dual monitor desktop mount will work with two of these monitors?

Ok, I just had a sleep related issue on one of my ZR24w's.

I left for about an hour, came back and my system and ZR24w's were sleeping.

Upon awaking, one of the two ZR24w's was displaying "snow".

I was not able to be immediately fix it by re-selecting the DVI input source.

Instead, I power cycled the display using the front button and it immediately regained signal.

Thanks for the test.

Would be nice with a few more actually because I don't get my head wrapped around it.

Looks to me like the screen is 14ms, 18ms and then 42 ms and 42 ms behind the crt. That does not feel good.

Thanks for the test.

Would be nice with a few more actually because I don't get my head wrapped around it.

Looks to me like the screen is 14ms, 18ms and then 42 ms and 42 ms behind the crt. That does not feel good.

He said the other two pictures are comparing against his older Dell LCD.

The smaller pictures are of a Dell 2005WFP, not the HP. The first two are 14ms and 28ms, but it appears that in the 28ms shot the screen is in the process of drawing the same frame the CRT is currently on. It also appears that the timer did not try to display a [32] frame, since the residual image on the LCD looks like it has 30, 31, and 33 in it. Given that, it looks like the HP is ~1 frame behind the CRT, as was previously estimated based on the scrolling bar test.

n the end, the case manager accepted the return and they are going to ship me another overnight and send me a shipping label to return the monitor with the bad pixel.

I talked to a sales person and they said had I not told them about the bad pixel, the process would have been smoother, it would have been handled as a return vs warranty.

But if it's a return, you would have had to pay return shipping. Under warranty, it sounds like HP picks up the shipping which isn't a bad policy at all...

Thanks for the test.

The screen is actually less than 1 frame (16.67 ms) behind in both of the shots. I'd like to guess that the earlier estimations of ~8 ms are very accurate in this case. Which means, I am now going to be in for three. :)

so should i do more shots? I can burst 9 pics a sec with my DSLR. or are the two pics close enough for govmnt work?

Yeah I can't believe I waited this long to experience non-TN goodness!!!

I hope to do the same soon. I can't believe I've suffered for so long through TN hell. I've always thought that all lcd's sucked and not a single one impressed me. Now I know why. Thanks for everyone's comments. :cool:

CutterX said:
Please, can someone owning a CRT monitor do the input lag test at lagom.nl? bb23 and mrh3138 already performed an input lag test using the white bars program, but lagom.nl provides a timer which shows a more precise result.
No it doesn't. Having numbers doesn't make it more precise. That timer is not guaranteed to update at any particular interval, and even if it was, displaying a timer in one part of the screen won't let you see sub-frame response time delays because you can't see where each screen is refreshing. You also can't tell if clone mode desynchronization is happening. There's also the problem of not being able to easily read a mess of numbers blending together. The bars program is the most accurate method I know.

We already know the delay in ms: no more than 3 ms + response time

mryerse said:
Why is one shot 14ms behind and the other is 28ms behind? Either way seems pretty good.
Both shots actually show the HP is already transitioning to the frame being shown on the CRT, but that's not easy to see due to the mess of numbers.

Both shots also show the timer is not updating accurately. An accurate timer would always show a 16-17 ms difference between frames at 60 Hz.

I just ordered 2 of them from HP directly via phone.

Note the order detail says 1920 x 1080??? Not sure why
I wouldn't worry about this - they did the same to me, so I called them a week ago. They were supposed to fix this so others wouldn't wonder about it, but obviously they did not. I think the invoice spec list is being driven by the ZR22w's specs, not the ZR24w's. I did get the ZR24w, and also the salesperson assured me that was what I was getting (but also that this mistaken listing would be fixed). I think this was one of the first questions I asked the people here - way back on page 15 or so, I think.

Back