HP ZR24w

steal said:
I haven't had much luck getting any higher refresh rates running on it yet, just trying cvt reduced blank in the nvidia cp, which works for the 2209wa. Anyone have a link to some info on how to pull edid data/get the right custom timings for higher refresh rates so I can see if higher refresh rates are possible?
1920x1200 with CVT-RB can only go up to 64 Hz over single-link DVI. If it won't even let you do 63 Hz, then it probably doesn't support higher refresh rates at all. You can also try lower resolutions. Try 1680x1050 at 75 Hz. You can also try VGA.

okashira said:
I think it's only fair to include the pixel response time in lag measurments.
The problem is the pixel response time varies depending on what colors are changing and whether or not there's overdrive.

I prefer to think of it this way: Beyond the lag, it's going as fast as the technology allows, so I don't worry about response times. I just care if there's a significant delay before the frame is displayed.

1920x1200 with CVT-RB can only go up to 64 Hz over single-link DVI. If it won't even let you do 63 Hz, then it probably doesn't support higher refresh rates at all. You can also try lower resolutions. Try 1680x1050 at 75 Hz. You can also try VGA.

Thanks, I was aware of bandwidth limitations of DVI but wasn't aware that single-link was so limited. Will using a dual-link cable solve this issue, if it supports higher refresh rates, or would I have to use DP instead?

Should I stick with my U2410 and get 2 more? Or Should I get 2 of these , they sound very promising. However I'm not sure if mixing is the right idea.

steal said:
Thanks, I was aware of bandwidth limitations of DVI but wasn't aware that single-link was so limited. Will using a dual-link cable solve this issue, if it supports higher refresh rates, or would I have to use DP instead?
A dual-link cable won't matter unless the monitor has specific support for dual-link DVI, which I doubt since it's not needed for the native resolution. VGA might work though.

A dual-link cable won't matter unless the monitor has specific support for dual-link DVI, which I doubt since it's not needed for the native resolution. VGA might work though.

I see. I can only seem to manage 61hz so far (at any resolution) with cvt rb, anything higher says it is out of range. Not really sure what this means :)

My HP ZR24w's from Cost Central arrived today:

pict0001i.jpg

These are very nice, high quality panels and stands. After careful examination, I found no defective pixels on either of my displays. The "grainy" or "dirty" anti-glare coating texture concern is not an issue with the HP ZR24w as far as I am concerned.

Yeah now to save up for a 2nd ZR24w ;). After just some simple web browsing and CS4 I am extremely satisfied.

My HP ZR24w's from Cost Central arrived today:

These are very nice, high quality panels and stands. After careful examination, I found no defective pixels on either of my displays. The "grainy" or "dirty" anti-glare coating texture concern is not an issue with the HP ZR24w as far as I am concerned.

Gonna echo this. It's still a little bit grainy, but not nearly as bad as the 2209wa.

steal said:
I see. I can only seem to manage 61hz so far (at any resolution) with cvt rb, anything higher says it is out of range. Not really sure what this means :)
That means the monitor is not allowing it. The specs do say 59-61 Hz, so maybe the firmware has that limitation hard-coded. I don't know if it would be different over DisplayPort.

Has anyone gotten the auto pivot feature to work? I installed the software but the buttons seem to be grayed out in the HP Display Assistant.

Has anyone gotten the auto pivot feature to work? I installed the software but the buttons seem to be grayed out in the HP Display Assistant.

I do not know what the "auto pivot" feature is, but all 4 rotation modes (0, 90, 180, 270 degrees) work fine in Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) "out of the box". No special software or drivers are needed from HP or anyone else.

EDIT: I now see that "auto pivot" is supposed to automatically switch rotation modes when the display is pivoted, like iPhone does.

Last edited:
damn just hooked mine up and its BRIGHT...i think i might set it to around 40%

Just ordered mine from hp, came out to like 460 something with tax. I hate tax!!!! I am primarly a gamer, so I will let you guys know how it performs. Also i can set this monitor and my samsung tv up at the sametime. When I do this with my current hp w2207h and compare it with the samsung, the samsung just blows away my monitor. I hope this new monitor is pretty close to my tv colors wise. We shall see.

How can I check? The colors just pop, looks great. I have noticed that my monitor has like a film over it, looks faded. It is kind of hard to explain, the monitor is only 2 years old. I don't remember it looking like this when I first got it. I guess it's just worn out.

Mine came in today! its pretty amazing how the colors are compared to my old TN monitor. now i need to save up and buy one more to complete my dual setup. i have mine mounted on a monitor arm/mount which is found here http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1273248 it holds this monitor pretty well. to me it seems light for its size. here are some pics. nothing technical..just thought i would share with you all.

also does it matter what type of dvi cable i use..I.E dvi dual/single link?

Last edited:
I'm a picky consumer, and you guys have convinced me to buy one of these monitors. Where is the best place to buy one?

Oh man, I'm excited! Mine arrives tomorrow!

Big thanks to bb23 and chris_n with those initial reviews. Looking like this will be a solid purchase. :)

I plan on ordering mine from ShopBLT. No tax and free shipping + $2 handling fee. $405.76 shipped.

I got mine today, the colors seem good, only a slight grainy texture to the coating which is really only noticeable when reading text on a mostly white screen.

The first thing that hit me was how thick this monitor is compared to my old 2005fpw.

... a slight grainy texture to the coating which is really only noticeable when reading text on a mostly white screen.

I think that any kind of a conventional matte anti-glare coating is going have a slightly noticeable texture like this.

The matte anti-glare coating on the high resolution (1920 x 1200) TN display of my MacBook Pro 17", which should be a high quality display, has practically an identical texture.

hmmm debating between this and the U2410...

are the extra inputs on the U2410 (hdmi mostly) worth $90 over the hp which is not wide gamut and has better coating?

They are out of stock

They order as needed.

This product is not in stock, and is not yet on order with the manufacturer but should be shortly, as it is ordered from the factory as needed. After you place your order, we will order this item from the manufacturer into our warehouse. We will ship the item to you when it arrives in our warehouse, usually within three to fifteen business days from the date you ordered.

I think that any kind of a conventional matte anti-glare coating is going have a slightly noticeable texture like this.

The matte anti-glare coating on the high resolution (1920 x 1200) TN display of my MacBook Pro 17", which should be a high quality display, has practically an identical texture.

My very first post, so go easy on me guys. :D For the people who have the hp zr24w and have used apple/mac displays, how would you say the hp zr24w compares to a mac/apple display? I was looking at my friend's mac laptop the other day (don't know what model it was), and I was blown away at how easy the display was on the eyes and the colors. They were just so vivid and colorful. Does the hp zr24w come close?

I've also never used an IPS display before and have always used TN displays. Little did I know until recently that TN displays are the worst displays! Is the difference between a TN and IPS display night and day? Gaming is also important, as I only want to use one monitor for all my needs - gaming, internet, photos, applications, etc. I only plan on upgrading to an IPS display if it's worth it.

My very first post, so go easy on me guys. :D For the people who have the hp zr24w and have used apple/mac displays, how would you say the hp zr24w compares to a mac/apple display? I was looking at my friend's mac laptop the other day (don't know what model it was), and I was blown away at how easy the display was on the eyes and the colors. They were just so vivid and colorful. Does the hp zr24w come close?

I've also never used an IPS display before and have always used TN displays. Little did I know until recently that TN displays are the worst displays! Is the difference between a TN and IPS display night and day? Gaming is also important, as I only want to use one monitor for all my needs - gaming, internet, photos, applications, etc. I only plan on upgrading to an IPS display if it's worth it.

IMO, most of the vividness of the apple monitors is just that they dont use TN panels. I would expect any IPS or *VA panel to have sufficiently vivid colors. Of course, *VA's tend to be pretty laggy, and are now being obsoleted as IPS becomes more economical to produce and sell. And if you're into vivid colors, you can always up the "saturation" AKA "digital vibrance" in your drivers. This usually helps a lot to make TN panels not look so washed out all the time. However, a good monitor will not require tampering with the saturation, unless you like inaccurate color reproduction.

mac laptops have crap displays for the most part, unless it was the 17" 1920x1200 (or is it 1080?) panel

so any ips display will be much better than what you'll find on a macbook, yes

I followed the herd to CostCentral and order three. No tax and free shipping = $400.24 ea for $1200.72. I have no doubt that'll be somewhere cheaper in a couple weeks but I should have mine on Friday unless Fedex drops the ball.

I plan on ordering mine from ShopBLT. No tax and free shipping + $2 handling fee. $405.76 shipped.

I followed the herd to CostCentral and order three. No tax and free shipping = $400.24 ea for $1200.72. I have no doubt that'll be somewhere cheaper in a couple weeks but I should have mine on Friday unless Fedex drops the ball.

I would follow the herd for CostCentral, but I'm in CA where I get taxed on it from them.

My very first post, so go easy on me guys. :D For the people who have the hp zr24w and have used apple/mac displays, how would you say the hp zr24w compares to a mac/apple display?
Does the hp zr24w come close?

I know quite a bit about Apple, Macs and OS X, but there are some real display experts here who can probably compare the HP ZR24w to the Apple 24" LED Cinema Display much better than I.

However, I would expect that they would place the HP ZR24w as being not quite in the same league as the Apple 24" LED Cinema Display. But it is only half the price.

I was looking at my friend's mac laptop the other day (don't know what model it was), and I was blown away at how easy the display was on the eyes and the colors. They were just so vivid and colorful.

Most Apple laptop displays are glossy now, as opposed to a matte anti-glare display. I am guessing that is what you saw. There are some really downsides to glossy displays, namely glare. I believe that professional users might find colors over-saturated too.

The HP ZR24w is not a glossy display, but the Apple 24" LED Cinema Display is. So there is an important difference there.

I've also never used an IPS display before and have always used TN displays. Little did I know until recently that TN displays are the worst displays! Is the difference between a TN and IPS display night and day?

I can tell you that the IPS colors of the HP ZR24w are significantly richer when compared directly to my Mac Book Pro 17" TN LED panel, which non-professionals find stunning.

Gaming is also important, as I only want to use one monitor for all my needs - gaming, internet, photos, applications, etc. I only plan on upgrading to an IPS display if it's worth it.

I am still using panels that I bought 7 years ago, so I expect to be using these HP ZR24w's I just got for a very long time. Hence, I consider the extra money for a larger, IPS panel to be well spent.

You should also consider the NEC EA231WMi too. Is a slightly smaller IPS panel (1920 x 1080), but only $310 shipped:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824002524

EDIT:

Obviously, for a lower cost IPS panel, the new HP ZR22w should be considered too.

Last edited:
mac laptops have crap displays for the most part, unless it was the 17" 1920x1200 (or is it 1080?) panel

The standard 17" MacBook Pro display is 1680 x 1050, but Apple also offers a "high resolution" option which is 1920 x 1200 and that is what I have with the optional matte anti-glare coating.

Since I believe that IPS displays are not available on any laptops, I am not sure what you mean by "crap" here. Perhaps you are complaining about the glossy displays? Otherwise, I would be surprised if Apple did not have the best laptop displays on the market.

Last edited:
Back