HP ZR24w

... based on bb23's initial impressions above.
Pete.
ooohhh. ok....

Hahahahaha! Pete, remember my age disclaimer!

Seriously, I am just posting here as objectively as possible to perhaps help others decide. I love this monitor - it suits my needs very well which is mainly to have a decent-sized displayport monitor that will align okay with my 1600x1200 Samsungs (Eyefinity-wise) and to have very pleasing colors, etc. Yes, response rate is important to me, though lag not as much. Remember, I am older... much older probably... Oh yeah, what was I saying...

The main negative aspect I have been wanting to understand more has been the general lag IPS monitors have been said to suffer - and though this is a very secondary concern to me, I know it may matter a lot to hardcore gamers.

So here is that lag test ToastyX pointed out to us:

Use this program: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1423433

When using clone mode, one monitor will tear. Wait for the tearing to roll off the screen, then take a picture. That will give you much more accurate results.

The ZR24W is on the left, the Samsung 204B on the right.

HPZR24W-Samsung204B Pic1

HPZR24W-Samsung204B Pic2

HPZR24W-Samsung204B Pic3

HPZR24W-Samsung204B Pic4

HPZR24W-Samsung204B Pic5

HPZR24W-Samsung204B Pic6

Unless I did this wrong and/or do not understand the test, it looks like the ZR24W is very similar to the Samsung 204B in terms of lag.

I set my camera to auto and it set the shutter speed to 1/60 as we would expect. Fraps confirms the rate too. Is there something more I should have done?

Does it matter that the HP could not be set to its native resolution of 1920x1200 because of the Samsung's limit of 1600x1200?

P.S. Not sure what you meant by "tearing", ToastyX. I did not see anything different to begin with than I did throughout the test. Maybe because the monitors are so similar in this regard?

Last edited:
... based on bb23's initial impressions above.

Pete.

Furthermore, chris_n did not report any "grainy" coating issue with the HP ZR24w and no one has suggested it is present in any of the photos posted by either chris_n or bb23 so far.

On the other hand, I have been following the Dell U2410 thread for months and many people have complained about its "grainy" coating.

Yeah, this monitor does not seem grainy to me either. It may not be quite as smooth as the Samsung, but then again, it could be the same - perhaps because I think the HP runs a bit bright by default (it is set at 90 out of 100 by default) and therefore seems a little grainier than the Samsung. Dunno. I have not seen the Dell so I am not able to compare to it.

The thing with the Dell U2410 was that some people complained that it was as if the screen was dirty on a white background. I've read complaints about a 'sparkling/twinkling effect' when reading text too, and even complaints about 'fuzzy' text. But since you don't really notice it bb23, I assume any anti-glare coating issues must be minor or nonexistent.

[X]eltic;1035514866 said:
The thing with the Dell U2410 was that some people complained that it was as if the screen was dirty on a white background.
Just checked for this in a Word Doc. Nothing that I see.

[X]eltic;1035514866 said:
I've read complaints about a 'sparkling/twinkling effect' when reading text too, and even complaints about 'fuzzy' text. But since you don't really notice it bb23, I assume any anti-glare coating issues must be minor or nonexistent.
The Word doc seems too bright to me at the default settings, though my eyes are very tired right now. So I lowered the brightness from 90 to 50 and it's very easy on the eyes. Nothing fuzzy about the text that I see under either circumstance.

I think it makes more sense to compare this monitor with its HP predecessor though, unless Dell and HP are using the same screen manufacturer, which I doubt. The specs between this model and the HP LP2475w are identical except the color gamut from what I remember. Go to the bottom of this page:
http://www.hp.com/united-states/campaigns/z-workstations/overview.html#m_chart

The U2410 and the ZR24W both have an LG panel according to TFTcentral's panel database.

Setting the brightness down that low now makes it look much smoother - sort of like the Samsung, though the Samsung is more like a matte black, and the HP a little glossier.

Chris would be a better judge of this than myself, given his experience with higher-end monitors.

bb23 said:
The main negative aspect I have been wanting to understand more has been the general lag IPS monitors have been said to suffer - and though this is a very secondary concern to me, I know it may matter a lot to hardcore gamers.
I don't know where IPS panels got the reputation for being slow because they're not. Most IPS monitors don't have any significant lag except for the ones with advanced color features or dual-link scalers.

bb23 said:
Unless I did this wrong and/or do not understand the test, it looks like the ZR24W is very similar to the Samsung 204B in terms of lag.

I set my camera to auto and it set the shutter speed to 1/60 as we would expect. Fraps confirms the rate too. Is there something more I should have done?
No, that's fine. The pictures show they are basically the same in terms of lag.

bb23 said:
Does it matter that the HP could not be set to its native resolution of 1920x1200 because of the Samsung's limit of 1600x1200?
That means the HP with scaling has the same amount of lag as the Samsung 204B at the native resolution. Scaling doesn't usually add lag, but it can on some monitors. Now the question is how much lag does the 204B have?

bb23 said:
P.S. Not sure what you meant by "tearing", ToastyX. I did not see anything different to begin with than I did throughout the test. Maybe because the monitors are so similar in this regard?
I didn't see tearing in any of the pictures, so the video card must have sent both monitors the same signal at the same time, like a splitter would. The program can only synchronize with one monitor, so if the monitors weren't perfectly synchronized, the other monitor would show tearing.

That means the HP with scaling has the same amount of lag as the Samsung 204B at the native resolution. Scaling doesn't usually add lag, but it can on some monitors. Now the question is how much lag does the 204B have?
Pete posted this link yesterday about the Samsung 204B:
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1029433265

I didn't see tearing in any of the pictures, so the video card must have sent both monitors the same signal at the same time, like a splitter would. The program can only synchronize with one monitor, so if the monitors weren't perfectly synchronized, the other monitor would show tearing.
Not sure if this helps to explain it, but the HP is on the displayport and the Samsungs are on the DVI ports. The card is an HD5850.

Thanks for the feedback.

Now the question is how much lag does the 204B have?
Samsung 204B's input lag according to Digitalversus:
36101112.gif

http://www.digitalversus.com/duels.php?ty=6&ma1=36&mo1=101&p1=1021&ma2=120&mo2=61&p2=689&ph=1

I've been watching this thread too, looking for the best monitor. If no one comes in in the next week with a negative, it looks like I'll be spending my birthday cash on the HP ZR24z

Thanks a lot to all the early reviewers

hey guys, i've compared the u2410 and the zr24w from merely a visual perspective.

observations:

the zr24w has the capacity to be much brighter than the u2410. bear in mind, this does not directly affect the color reproduction or the image quality.

regarding the 'dirty' look of the screen due to the AG coating. In my observation, this screen does exhibit somewhat a 'grainy' look when a blank white window is open HOWEVER it is not an annoyance to me. it is also certainly less than the u2410.

i noticed the backlight takes a bit to warm up to full power so at first i had my brightness set up to about 50-60. when the backlight finally warmed up, it was way too bright so as it stands right now i have it set to a whopping unit of 5.

short term weekend verdict: this is a good buy.

still waiting to calibrate.

i should note that it is my job to create high quality images for editorial so my standards are quite high. I am still a bit uneasy about the upcoming calibration because this monitor is NOT wide gamut. that factor is somewhat important to me as I need to be able to be as close as possible to the printer's gamut. (i got tired of waiting for the lp2475w and HP told me they'd be transitioning to this model so i was willing to give it a shot)

chris_n, have you seen any tinting issues with the HP screen? That was the thing that really stopped me from buying the Dell U2410, the pink/green tints.

Something else that's important to me, and perhaps I'm being very picky now, is that the monitor should be totally silent. I've heard of monitors that emit a high pitched sound.

This is promising. The screen photos look pretty good with respect to color temperature uniformity on a white or grey background. I returned both a 2209WA and a U2410 because of that issue, it was really obvious to the naked eye.

I'm less convinced that the monitor has good brightness uniformity (hard to tell from a camera shot) ... but this isn't as critical to me as reasonably consistent color temperature. It also looks pretty good with respect to backlight bleed.

I'm dying to see one in person, but after being among the first to order 2209WA and U2410 and being so disappointed I think I'll wait for some feedback on this one.

I'd love to hear a comparison from someone who has personally seen either of these Dell monitors. I'm very interested in the IPS white glow and viewing angles ... which I found really bad on the U2410 ... and, of course, the color temperature uniformity. You really need to have a look at these things in low ambient light conditions.

Sounds like this is another crazy bright monitor that needs to be turned way down.

I'd also appreciate hearing how well this monitor calibrates with something like an i1 Display2 and decent software like BasicColor or ColorEyes Pro.

I'm really hopeful about this one. If it's got problems, I'm probably going to have to spend more than twice as much for an NEC PA241W. Of course, the NEC is much more advanced with hardware calibration, but it's probably more monitor than I need.

At this point, I just want (as a starting point) an IPS monitor that looks the same shade of white or grey on both sides of the screen!

i should note that it is my job to create high quality images for editorial so my standards are quite high.)
I don't think this sort of monitor is really aimed at someone with your kind of needs, I'd point you in the direction of monitors with true professional features like NEC's (I'd say EIZO too but the price premium is hard to justify over NEC).

Since you belong to the narrow band of pro users who find wide colour gamut's useful it's impossible not to recommend the 2690 WUXi for serious work, there is no comparison between a display that has a LUT that is programmable at a hardware level inside the monitor + colour / backlight uniformity correction features (ColorComp) and one that does not.

so, the one question i have not seen answered so far.

hows gaming/movie viewing on this? i assume no noticable ghosting, or any other strange issues.

I don't think this sort of monitor is really aimed at someone with your kind of needs, I'd point you in the direction of monitors with true professional features like NEC's (I'd say EIZO too but the price premium is hard to justify over NEC).

Since you belong to the narrow band of pro users who find wide colour gamut's useful it's impossible not to recommend the 2690 WUXi for serious work, there is no comparison between a display that has a LUT that is programmable at a hardware level inside the monitor + colour / backlight uniformity correction features (ColorComp) and one that does not.

solstice, thanks for the advice. i should note that i am not using this monitor for mission-critical work, in fact it's my home monitor (which i would like to be able to proof with on occasion). in the studio i have 3 EIZO monitors that get the job done just fine.

just letting people know where i'm coming from as a lot of people here just talk out of their asses.

[X]eltic;1035516154 said:
chris_n, have you seen any tinting issues with the HP screen? That was the thing that really stopped me from buying the Dell U2410, the pink/green tints.

Something else that's important to me, and perhaps I'm being very picky now, is that the monitor should be totally silent. I've heard of monitors that emit a high pitched sound.

xeltic, please read the past few pages as I have reiterated myself many times already.

as i said before, there are no noticeable color shifts on a white screen test.

so, the one question i have not seen answered so far.

hows gaming/movie viewing on this? i assume no noticable ghosting, or any other strange issues.

movie viewing is much nicer than my wide gamut monitors as the colors seem to be much more true to what the cinema intended.

i posted a green screen capture a couple pages back.

Question for chris_n,
Sorry if this question had been asked. Do you find it distracting if you have the ZR24z next to the U2410? I use to have a LG and a Samsung set up but the differences in the color hue, brightness and contrast just kill my eyes regardless of how I try to match them. That is how iI have my two 2410s now.

bb23 reports some greenish hue on his ZR24w, and I think you comment on how bright the screen is. Judging by only these two factors, do you think that the HP and the Dell will be a good match? Thanks

How deep is this monitor without the stand (ie. from the front of the screen to the back of the case). I am interested in hanging it on my wall, but the spec sheet says 9 inches without which has got to be wrong... If you could pull out a ruler it would be much appreciated.

Z

How deep is this monitor without the stand (ie. from the front of the screen to the back of the case). I am interested in hanging it on my wall, but the spec sheet says 9 inches without which has got to be wrong... If you could pull out a ruler it would be much appreciated.

Z

9 inches is with the stand. The pdf specs say 3.41inches for panel only.

Question for chris_n,
Sorry if this question had been asked. Do you find it distracting if you have the ZR24z next to the U2410? I use to have a LG and a Samsung set up but the differences in the color hue, brightness and contrast just kill my eyes regardless of how I try to match them. That is how iI have my two 2410s now.

bb23 reports some greenish hue on his ZR24w, and I think you comment on how bright the screen is. Judging by only these two factors, do you think that the HP and the Dell will be a good match? Thanks

one of my first observations was the greenish tendency which i posted prior.

i don't have the two monitors side by side. my friend has the u2410. i general don't like mixing and matching panels in a dual/tri/eyefinity setup --so that's up to you.

i will say that i believe it will be very possible to get them to match up with a good calibration.

Really? Isn't using analog inputs tampering with the results? A monitor may use different circuitry and different processing routines for analog signal, whereas most of us will be interested in performance with a digital signal.

I completely understand your concern. For shits and giggles, I'll test with a splitter and with clone mode (the LCD running off DVI or DP)

Hmm, looks quite good from what I've heard/seen so far...
The buts:
- Only 1 DVI
- seems to have no 1:1 scaling option :(

I'd be interested what difference H2-IPS makes. Probably none.

...bb23 reports some greenish hue on his ZR24w...
No, I never said that. Maybe you see that in one of the pics I posted? I don't see that and if you do, let me know what pic. Both Chris and I have mentioned the brightness. I am keeping mine at default (90%) brightness for the sake of the OOTB pics, but bump it down to 50% or less, otherwise.

Question for chris_n,

CutterX noted yesterday that the HP ZR24w, the HP LP2475w, and the Dell U2410 are all made by LG, so they may be inherently more compatible?

As this Eyefinity pic shows, there is also quite a big difference between my two Samsungs and the HP:

Brightness at 100% for left and right Samsungs/90% for HP in the middle

In the following screen I took a pic of this thread expanded to all 3 screens:

Eyefinity of HardForum

Is there a way to get the horizontal lines aligned better, or is this just the way it is when two of the monitors are 20" and the middle one is 24"? The overall resolution is 4800x1200, or 3x1600 by 1200.

In other words, is there a way to have the middle monitor display the same size as the Samsung, at least horizontally? It can do that vertically via the option "Fill to Aspect Ratio", but I want the black bars running horizontally, not vertically. I didn't see anything in Catalyst relative to this, but then again, I am a noob.

Thanks!

Last edited:
regarding the 'dirty' look of the screen due to the AG coating. In my observation, this screen does exhibit somewhat a 'grainy' look when a blank white window is open HOWEVER it is not an annoyance to me. it is also certainly less than the u2410.

Thanks for explicitly detailing the "dirty" or "grainy" issue noted on the Dell U2410 with respect to the HP ZR24w.

This is an important consideration for many people when choosing.

Most if not all IPS panels are made by LG who licenses the technology from Hitachi.

Most if not all IPS panels are made by LG who licenses the technology from Hitachi.
Good to know. So presumably if they are all IPS panels, they probably are more matchable Eyefinity-wise than my IPS and non-IPS panels.

It's extremely difficult to find a screen that has 1920x1200 native resolution, good viewing angles, low/moderate response time, good colors, and so forth, but so far, this screen seems like a winner. Only thing that's still not entirely addressed is the input lag. Understandably though, that's not easy to measure, especially without a CRT screen.

I hope either Prad.de or TFT Central will review this monitor soon, my aging Samsung SyncMaster 970P is falling apart; broken stand, dead pixels and one of the CCFLs is dead.

chris_n: any chance you could do a side-by-side comparo w/ the Eizo's (either drag one home or the HP to the studio)?
And I presume you calibrate w/ an i1? Are you on model mayhem? :)

im waiting for one last payment for something i sold on ebay. as soon as i get paid, im ordering one of these.

looks like this should work well as my primary gaming/movie/daily activities monitor.

I was looking at a NEC and Dell aside from this I noticed that the NEC and Dell are 72% sRGB and the HP is 97% sRGB wide gamut. What does this exactly mean and is the HP better because of this?

Back