HP ZR24w - Pictures

bb23

Limp Gawd
After posting various pictures of the ZR24w with an older camera (which also has some dead pixels) on the main ZR24w thread, I ended up not doing this monitor justice. Between the camera's dead pixels and my creating a screen-door effect through improper camera angling, various questions were asked about the pictures. So this time I used a newer camera (though lower resolution) and a tri-pod for consistency. I hope these are more useful to others to show this monitor's uniformity, etc. All shots were taken at the HP default settings, including the brightness at 90.

I am hoping we can use this thread to post pictures of the ZR24w as there have been a lot of requests for various shots, but they get lost in that very fast moving thread. I would like to avoid talking about ordering info, HP return policies, etc., etc., on this thread, if possible. Of course, feel free to post your summary conclusions and impressions here too.

(Moderator: I am new here, and if starting this thread is inappropriate and/or in bad form, because we already have a ZR24w thread, please move the contents to the main ZR24w thread, or just delete this thread and I will re-post there.)

I also posted 27 shots of the ZR24w vs. a CRT using an input lag test from this forum, and will re-shoot those if that would help people analyze the input lag better (or I can post a link to the original shots here). The original 27 pics are on the main ZR24w thread along with some resident experts' superb analysis.

So here is my "Take 2" of various shots of the ZR24w:

These colors were chosen from Windows 7 Ultimate's screen background colors. So these are "solid color as background" shots with a camera at a fairly low resolution:

Color - Black (Edit: This shot is "flawed" due to a reflection. Thanks for letting me know, CutterX.)

Color - Black Angle 1
Color - Black Angle 2
Color - Black Angle 3
Color - Black Angle 4
Color - Black Angle 5
Color - Black Angle 6

Color - White
Color - Grey
Color - Blue

Color - Other 1
Color - Other 2
Color - Other 3
Color - Other 4
Color - Other 5
Color - Other 6
Color - Other 7
Color - Other 8
Color - Other 9
Color - Other 10
Color - Other 11
Color - Other 12
Color - Other 13
Color - Other 14
Color - Other 15

Here are pics of various Windows 7 Backgrounds:
Windows 7 Background 1
Windows 7 Background 2
Windows 7 Background 3
Windows 7 Background 4
Windows 7 Background 5
Windows 7 Background 6
Windows 7 Background 7
Windows 7 Background 8
Windows 7 Background 9
Windows 7 Background 10
Windows 7 Background 11
Windows 7 Background 12
Windows 7 Background 13
Windows 7 Background 14
Windows 7 Background 15
Windows 7 Background 16
Windows 7 Background 17
Windows 7 Background 18
Windows 7 Background 19
Windows 7 Background 20
Windows 7 Background 21
Windows 7 Background 22
Windows 7 Background 23
Windows 7 Background 24

Windows 7 Background 26
Windows 7 Background 27
Windows 7 Background 28
Windows 7 Background 29
Windows 7 Background 30
Windows 7 Background 31
Windows 7 Background 32
Windows 7 Background 33
Windows 7 Background 34
Windows 7 Background 35
Windows 7 Background 36
Windows 7 Background 37

Last edited:
Thanks bb23 for all those pics.
Is it a red reflection on this pic, or does this colour come from the monitor itself?
Oops, I think that's a red light that reflected from my SD card reader right below, in mostly a dark room. It doesn't show up in real life, nor in the other black (at various angles) shots.

Also, here are the original black pics (with my "dead pixels" camera) and a white one for comparison to those above. No red, fortunately.
Color - Black
Color - Black again, dead camera pixels and all.
Color - White

Edit: I will look to do a few more black straight-on shots a bit later. Thanks for the feedback.

Last edited:
If you are going to take pictures you should try to lock the exposure at a reasonable level for good comparisons. You can see the power led brightness change between these.

Good point. Can you tell me which pics vary that much? I'm not seeing it, at least off-hand. I am not a photographer, as is no doubt obvious.

It's a fairly inexpensive camera so I just used the auto setting to at least get the focus accurate in an otherwise very dark (windowless) room.

Thanks for the suggestion.

It wasn't too bad, I just took notice of it between DSCF0683 and IMG_7775 for example. The red "reflection" is probably just an effect of the longer exposure on the monitor and not a reflection at all (bigger brighter led). Its hard to capture what your eyes actually see in these conditions.

Oh, the two you are talking about were taken with different cameras - 7775 is part of my initial picture taking a week or so ago, whereas the 0683 is from the newer set I did today.

It looks to me (on the white and grey pics) like the right edge of the panel is darker than the rest of the panel, or that generally the left side is whiter or brighter than the right.

This could just be my monitor ... do you notice this live and in person, or do the luminance and color temperature look nice and uniform? I'd really appreciate your feedback.

At least I don't see the awful green/pink areas I saw on white/grey backgrounds on Dell U2410 and 2209WA. I sent those both back, and I didn't even bother with the NEC EA231WMI because of similar pics posted on hardforum.

Things sound promising on this monitor, it's my last hope before springing for an expensive PA241W ... which is probably more monitor than I need.

Thanks!

rberger, you have a very good eye, it seems. In looking very intently at an all white screen (in real life), the left side is very slightly running a little brighter than the right side. It may also be described as the left side runs a little "cooler" while the right side looks a bit "warmer". But I really had to look to see these differences, and I am not even certain they truly exist. This is also with brightness set to 90 (the default) which I will never be using - so this slight difference will likely disappear at lower brightness settings.

Hopefully others will also tell us what they see on their own monitors with an all-white background, regarding your comment.

The colors all seem very uniform throughout the various screens - and I have not seen any tinting issues like those reported for the Dell U2410, nor have I read that any other owners of the ZR24w noticed tinting issues to that degree.

Edit: Regarding the solid color background pics above, in looking at them again with your comment in mind, the effect you are describing was also definitely exaggerated by the camera angle being slightly off, especially when compared to real life viewing of the same backgrounds. In other words, I can definitely see it in the pictures now, but really have to look for it in real life.

Last edited:
Thanks for the pics. Seems to have some slight uniformity issues, but that is almost to be expected with a screen this size. No tinting that I can see, which is good.

I've got a U2410 that is tint-free and I'm happy enough with it. However, if the ZR24w proves to have a less aggressive anti-glare coating, I may buy it instead and sell my U2410. The U2410 would be perfect were it not for the coating, IMO.

OK bb23, thanks a lot for your response. I also felt that the slight camera angle might be contributing to what I'm seeing. It's good to hear that it's much more subtle in real life.

It's still so much better than the U2410 (original version) and 2209WA samples that I tested. Those like betaboy who were lucky enough to get a tint-free U2410 are probably very pleased with their monitor, particularly if they got the new revision that fixes the dithering issue on dark grey colors.

Quite honestly, those Dell monitors really sensitized me to the problem so now I'm a bit paranoid about it. If I looked at a web page centered on the screen, a light background looked like different colors to the left and right of the web page. Similarly, a spreadsheet had a distinct tint on some of the cells. I just found it extremely annoying. Calibration did not help fix it.

The NEC PA241W has this thing called ColorComp which ' electronically improves screen uniformity and compensates for differences in color/grayscale and luminance using newly designed signal processing circuitry'. Eizo has similar technology they call Digital Uniformity Equalizer (DUE). Of course, these are much more expensive displays. I have no idea about the effectiveness because I've never had the opportunity to test one.

Even so, I doubt that ColorComp/DUE could fix a panel with the seriously bad tint issues I saw on those Dell monitors. The technology is designed to refine a good panel into an exceptional one.

I went through the main HP ZR24w thread looking at the various posts with pictures of the monitor that several of us posted. (This covers pages 16-61 of that thread.) They are posted again below for others' convenience. (If you mind my cross-posting your post/pic let me know and I will delete it.) Thanks for taking the time to take pics.

not a lot of time to make sexy shots, here are quick snaps.

uniformity seems ok to me, the stand is great! full adjustment. the base does not rotate, rather the stump that the monitor sits on does, which is nice.

OSD is fine, nothing great. TBH, i liked the OSD on my friends u2410 much more. (fancy lookin)

_MG_1264.jpg

_MG_1266.jpg

_MG_1269.jpg

_MG_1272.jpg

edit: not sure why these pics aren't embedding, maybe they are too large. but click away.

please ignore the light falloff as that is an artifact of my camera.

_MG_1273.jpg

ALSO, a quick blacklight check shows no signs of bleed.

Mine came in today! its pretty amazing how the colors are compared to my old TN monitor. now i need to save up and buy one more to complete my dual setup. i have mine mounted on a monitor arm/mount which is found here http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1273248 it holds this monitor pretty well. to me it seems light for its size. here are some pics. nothing technical..just thought i would share with you all.

From this:

Side by side:

To this:

Had to create some deskspace:

Wide:

This is monitor is HUGE!

I got my ZR24w today, i have calibrated it with Spyder 3 Elite. 2,2 gamma, 6500k, 120 luminance.

But there is some issues with my monitor, on fullscreen white pages i see that my monitor suffers from tinting, the down left corner area have some red to it, but upper right area is more normal white, the red/white changes gradually: left down corner= redish ---- > right up corner= normal white.
It feels really stupid to read hardware news on fudzilla.com, because left down corner is redish and then gradually it gets more white on up right corner, it feels like having a 200$ monitor or something like that.
I think approximately 70-75% of the white picture is redish white.

Btw i'm not entirely sure if you can call it "redish white", it might be red/orange white, or just darker white. Anyhow.. it's not normal white.

Also my monitor have some areas with backlightbleed on a 100% black screen, there is 3 areas: close to right down corner= very apparent. Close to left up corner= pretty apparent. Right up corner= minor.

I took some pictures of the monitor: 1= http://img258.imageshack.us/i/img1638m.jpg/
2= http://img258.imageshack.us/i/img1639.jpg/
3= http://img258.imageshack.us/i/img1641j.jpg/
4= http://img684.imageshack.us/i/img1642k.jpg/

The pics doesn't show that good how it looks like irl, the tint on white screens is a bit more apparent in real life.
On Pic 3 you can basically only see the backlightbleed close to down right corner, and a bit of the blb on top right corner, but the blb on top right corner seem to have gone away a bit with time, weird.
Oh and the big things on all 4 corners is mostly reflections, it doesn't look like that irl.

Pic 4 shows a bit of the blb close to left up corner. And again, the other stuff is reflections and stuff which the eye can't see.

I could have accepted the backlightbleed, but i cannot accept that it can't display white correctly. So i guess i have to try to get the monitor exchanged.
I must be the first one who gets a monitor with tint? =(

Btw excuse me for my bad english, hope you guys atleast understand what i'm saying.
Post #1152 in response:
Blackbird, you just got a bad monitor you need to get a replacement. Other then the issues have you tried comparing with your HP w2207h? You said you would let me know.

Playstation pics:

ffxiii 1080p
http://sadfish.net/zr24w/playstation 1920x1080 x1.jpg
http://sadfish.net/zr24w/playstation 1920x1080 x2.JPG
little big planet 720p
http://sadfish.net/zr24w/playstation 720p x1.JPG
http://sadfish.net/zr24w/playstation 720p x2.JPG

if you want to see other pics then http://sadfish.net/zr24w

everything i've taken pics of is without touching anything in the OSD except "information" all i used to connect to the PS3 was an HDMI cable (from time warner, nothing special) an HDMI (female) to DVI (female) adapter that i've had for around 5 years when HDMI first started hitting consumerdom.

i dont have an xbox or i'd test that for you. =( PS3 seems to work beautifully though

ok, picture time with my ps3.

Response to above post:
It looks like it is stretching to the wrong aspect ratio *AND* overscanning. That's pretty bad. Look at the oval HUD elements -- they are kind of more like circles. Here is what it is supposed to look like: http://media.crispygamer.com/screenshot/Title6605/932981_20090415_790screen003-640x.jpg Pay attention to that oval -- it is a little taller in the pictures of the monitor. This means it is probably stretching the image vertically to make it fit as well as overscanning because it says it is overscanning.

Pretty big bummer.

So please feel free to post your pics, analysis, and summaries here too.

Last edited:
I appreciate everyone taking the time to post photos. Here is my contribution:

Color - White

Mine came with no pixel defects and only slight uniformity issues. I am very pleased with this monitor.

Thanks for the pictures guys , soon as my bank account is willing I'll bet getting 2 of these. Was just watching on a ton of pictures to draw my final conclusion.

I would be interested in pictures showing how much or little the frame reflects what is on the screen.

I would be interested in pictures showing how much or little the frame reflects what is on the screen.

i noticed the bezel does pick up colors/reflection from the screen.. i myself think it's pretty cool but i did notice it which means it's probably very apparent to people sensitive to such things. it's mostly the bottom that i notice it on.

i noticed the bezel does pick up colors/reflection from the screen..

... it's mostly the bottom that i notice it on.
Yes, that is also what I notice - the bottom bezel picks up the most reflection.

I found these recent posts on the main HP ZR24w thread very useful to this thread too, so here is a repost of them. (If you guys mind this, let me know and I will delete it.)

Hey guys,
Can someone please possibly post the best free software download that will allow me to check my new screen one I receive it for tint and dead pixels?
Thanks for responding.
You already have it. It's your desktop.

Extend your desktop to include the new monitor, which, depending upon your graphics drivers, will probably keep all icons on the old monitor and the new monitor will have a screen at the chosen background color, but empty of icons.

Set your background color to white and look for non-white pixels on the new monitor. Repeat for black background.

Stuck pixels of red, green or blue on a black background indicate subpixels of that color that are stuck on.

Stuck pixels of cyan, magenta, or yellow on a white background indicate dead subpixels of red, green, or blue, respectively.

Stuck pixels of other colors indicate multiple subpixel problems on the same pixel, e,g., a stuck cyan pixel on a black background indicates that both green and blue are stuck on for the same pixel, but red is not stuck on for that pixel - unlikely, but possible.

It's all just basic color combinations against appropriate backgrounds.

Abe
You can use http://www.maccetera.com/screen/. Just use the full-screen button on your browser (F11 for firefox).

-sfhf

Thanks for this info.

Is there a zoomed picture to see the pixels/subpixels arrangement ?

I can take a close-up of the pixel arrangement in a little bit... I'll edit this post.

Not as close as I'd like, but maybe it gives an idea:

IMG_0471.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for your posts Meanwhile and Ice_141. What does your picture tell us?

Is this related to panel uniformity?! :eek:

I see it's visible in all above colors... yet harder to notice in pictures unless they show simple content with a full color. I have a monitor with e-IPS yet it's pretty clean, mostly...
I think those must be camera artifacts as I don't see that when looking directly at the monitor.

Also I haven't heard from others about uniformity issues, though I am about 8 pages behind on the main ZR24w thread. A big work blitz in which I spent hundreds of hours in front of the ZR24w. I will say that even with brightness turned all the way down, it is a bit more harsh on the eyes than my Samsung 204B's - after days of very long hours. (Eyefinity for work rocks! Plus now I can write the video card off too.)

This harshness is nothing like a CRT, but still a slight bit more so than my Samsung's. (My eyes are very sensitive - I am only good for about a half an hour in front of a CRT to give you some idea.)

At one point I went to the "Cool" setting to tone things down even more. No problem with text legibility, etc., just a bit of eye irritation. Of course, endless hours in front of any screen can do that, but I did notice a slight bit of relief when looking at the Samsungs.

Last edited:
bb23, I've got a paid of 204Bs and am looking at going to the ZR24w, so I'm thinking you're just the person to ask my questions to... :p

How do they compare in terms of ghosting and motion blur? Are the blacks better? You're evidently happy with it, but I dunno how much you game/movie watch on it.

Back