HP ZR22W 22 inch IPS 1920x1080

Hello everyone!

My old LCD (HP 1740) is getting a bit too old so I ordered ZR22w yesterday. I was going to buy Dell P2310H but after reading [H] forums thread on ZR24w I decided to go for the HP. Since I mostly work in Excel and use my puter for gaming, movies and some basic photo editing I wonder if it was the right decision to go for 21,5" S-IPS HP over 23" TN Dell... Anyway when I receive it, I'll post a short review.

If anyone is still wondering - since it's available here in Poland, I guess you can buy it already in whole European Union (for about 270€/365$).

Can anyone who bought this monitor confirm that the stands are to wide to put 2 screens frame to frame in portrait mode?

musk: where? ZR24W ?

Sorry, I was reffering to HP ZR22w (21,5"). Even if ZR24w (24") is not listed on your store's website, you should contact your favorite e-tailer - they could have it (ZR24w) in their storehouse. It's a new monitor but it starts to show up at various stores.

I was going to get Dell P2310H at a store in Warsaw, Poland but while confirming my order I asked about HP ZR22w (21,5") and... Well it turned out they have it but not yet listed;). I didn't ask about HP ZR24w (24") though.

ask them, and gimme link :)
If I were malicious I'd say you are lazy:p. Ok, I'll give them a call tomorrow and report back here. It's "local online" store, they even don't have website in English.
I ended up cancelling my order until I see a user review here. From this pic it looks like it would be close but perhaps there would be a inch gap or so.
Hope the response rate will be fine for games/movies. I still have doubts about ZR22w, going for cheap S-IPS could be naive. That Dell P2310H is 25% cheaper, 1,5" bigger (size does matter) and got lower response rate...

Last edited:
kmetek, HP ZR24w isn't available yet at the aforementioned store nor at their supplier. They said "it should be next week". They didn't ship my ZR22w yet so I think both ZR22w and ZR24w are here in very, very low quantities (if there are any). After my order they also increased the price by almost 10%.

Dell P2310H is TN monitor (the specs are pretty standard) but it comes with "Dell 3-Year Premium Panel Guarantee" - they'll replace the monitor if even one bright pixel is found.

My initial conlcusion after one hour of usage is - it was a bad call to take the S-IPS HP instead of faster TN monitor. Playing Team Fortress 2 was a blurry experience but maybe that's because I used TN for so long.

The screen size (21,5") and aspect ratio makes this LCD a bit too small for my needs and high resolution. I'd prefer 23" or 24" monitor.

Input lag looks the same as on HP 1740 (older TN LCD). I was using flatpanels.dk application (flash-based) - no noticeable input lag.

Response rate doesn't look so good. I think it's even worse than I expected. Right now I ran TF2, LockOn2 and some movies. LockOn2 was OK, watching movies was also OK but TF2 was bad. and I don't like that fact.

I'm going to make some more testing and write back. The only good thing is the price - 24" IPS LCDs like HP 2475w or Dell U2410 cost twice as much as this ZR22w. That is IF you want IPS monitor...

MusK: quick favor. As a few people have mentioned in this thread, we are curious about portrait orientation and the width of the base. Please orient the display in portrait mode and see if the base sticks out the sides. Or better yet, precisely measure the width of the base compared to the length of the screen's shorter dimension (the vertical dim, frame edge to frame edge in normal orientation)

My initial conlcusion after one hour of usage is - it was a bad call to take the S-IPS HP instead of faster TN monitor. Playing Team Fortress 2 was a blurry experience but maybe that's because I used TN for so long.

The screen size (21,5") and aspect ratio makes this LCD a bit too small for my needs and high resolution. I'd prefer 23" or 24" monitor.

Input lag looks the same as on HP 1740 (older TN LCD). I was using flatpanels.dk application (flash-based) - no noticeable input lag.

Response rate doesn't look so good. I think it's even worse than I expected. Right now I ran TF2, LockOn2 and some movies. LockOn2 was OK, watching movies was also OK but TF2 was bad. and I don't like that fact.

I'm going to make some more testing and write back. The only good thing is the price - 24" IPS LCDs like HP 2475w or Dell U2410 cost twice as much as this ZR22w. That is IF you want IPS monitor...

Perhaps the motion blur option was too much? Was that enabled for you in TF2?

Have you tried enabling the overdrive mode? It seems to be a bit better. But I'll agree, go with another monitor if you're a hardcore gamer.

MusK: quick favor. As a few people have mentioned in this thread, we are curious about portrait orientation and the width of the base. Please orient the display in portrait mode and see if the base sticks out the sides. Or better yet, precisely measure the width of the base compared to the length of the screen's shorter dimension (the vertical dim, frame edge to frame edge in normal orientation)

The base is about 0.43 inches wider than the monitor when in portrait mode.

I'm liking the monitor so far. The biggest issues would be that you could definitely do better for gaming and there's some back light bleeding along the top on mine. Color and gamma seem good of of the box (I don't have any testing equipment to verify) and viewing angles are a huge improvement over the crappy Dell TN monitor I was using. The AG coating is noticeable as well, but I got used to it quickly. If I could do it again I might have gone for NEC's 23" IPS monitor though. Only reason I didn't was because 23" seemed a bit overkill when I've got a 42" plasma hooked up to my PC for anything that needs the better response time (gaming basically).

The head width (in vertical mode) is 30,1mm (a bit less than 11,9in) and the stand (base) width is 31.4mm (a bit less than 12,4in). So as dynamitejim said - the base is about 0.43 inches (or 13mm) wider.

Perhaps the motion blur option was too much? Was that enabled for you in TF2?
Well I hope the blurry picture was because of too low FPS (I ran it in 1920x1080 with AAx8 and everything else high). Turning off AA and blur helped (but at the same time I also turned on Overdrive).

Have you tried enabling the overdrive mode? It seems to be a bit better. But I'll agree, go with another monitor if you're a hardcore gamer.
Yes (I turned it on after my previous post), and I think it's working great. Running TF2 for some time showed no noticeable blur.

I'm not a "hardcore" gamer but I play few FPS games (ArmA2, TF2, Stalker) so that's why I was worried at first. The overdrive function seems to work just fine.

Yes (I turned it on after my previous post), and I think it's working great. Running TF2 for some time showed no noticeable blur.

I'm not a "hardcore" gamer but I play few FPS games (ArmA2, TF2, Stalker) so that's why I was worried at first. The overdrive function seems to work just fine.

Yeah, I'm not really hardcore either. I tried Just Cause 2, Portal, Batman: AA, and Crysis so far. They all look really good. I do get some slight nausea playing on this monitor that I didn't get playing on my previous Dell. Probably just motion sickness from the wider/brighter display.

I tried taking pics of the scrolling white bars on lagom,nl, but I'm not sure how to interpret them and I get some inconsistent results.

Thanks dynamitejim and MusK for the dimensions. So two of these side by side in portrait mode as close as they can be would still have a gap of around half an inch?

I ordered this monitor from Cost Central 3/30 Tuesday. It didn't ship for a couple days, so I went online chat with them and they told me it would ship out that day April 1st. It did.

Today I see the monitor is getting shipped FedEx Ground from a warehouse in NJ to their store address in Eerie, PA for delivery on Monday on the FedEx tracking website. This customer experience is not going too well. Anyone else have issues with Cost Central?

Thanks dynamitejim and MusK for the dimensions. So two of these side by side in portrait mode as close as they can be would still have a gap of around half an inch?
Yes, that's true, maybe even a bit less than half an inch.

Thanks for the info on the base stand width guys. I guess I'll have to go with the zr24w, price difference isn't that huge over here anyway (~50 euro).

This monitor features swivel capabilities.

That means in theory you can move the screen sideways relative to the stand, and use multi-monitor configs with no gap, because while the stand may be wider than the monitor in portrait, it certainly isn't deeper than the monitor is wide.

Can anyone confirm whether it will do a full 90 degree swivel (though I'd imagine 45deg is enough for identical screens)?

Also, can we get some initial impressions up here?

This monitor features swivel capabilities.

That means in theory you can move the screen sideways relative to the stand, and use multi-monitor configs with no gap, because while the stand may be wider than the monitor in portrait, it certainly isn't deeper than the monitor is wide.

Can anyone confirm whether it will do a full 90 degree swivel (though I'd imagine 45deg is enough for identical screens)?
Swivel Range is -45° to + 45°, not -/+90°. You can see how it looks (45° to right) here. But 45° is enough to put two monitors side by side. Also, since this LCD uses HP LCD Monitor Quick Release you can use some smaller HP monitor stand/base (I'm sure you can find one on eBay) and attach it to ZR22w.

Also, can we get some initial impressions up here?
After my initial impressions few posts back, I can add that I actually like this LCD - during daytime usage (a lot of sunlight) the screen looks better than my older TN. Playing games last few days assured me the response time isn't an issue at all (however with Video OverDrive on). Dynaic Contrast Ratio function is (as on any LCD) a big joke. That was the first thing I changed (turned it off). The only thing I can complain is the screen size. 21,5" is nice for a PC monitor but watching movies from a distance isn't fun. After calibrating colours on both older HP 1740 (TN) and this HP ZR22w (S-IPS), I couldn't get as nice and "juicy" colours on the former as on the ZR22w. But that's quite obvious since one is an old TN and the other is a new S-IPS.

I'm not a good source of review on this LCD since it's my first non-TN panel. Also I'm not as colour sensitive as some other ppl around here, but greater viewing angles (over TN) is something you definitely you wanna have on your big(-er) LCD monitor.

Swivel Range is -45° to + 45°, not -/+90°. You can see how it looks (45° to right) here. But 45° is enough to put two monitors side by side. Also, since this LCD uses HP LCD Monitor Quick Release you can use some smaller HP monitor stand/base (I'm sure you can find one on eBay) and attach it to ZR22w.

Thanks for the tip on the swivel stand. I see you have it in a bright room with a big window. In bright sunlight is the monitor bright enough for good viewing? I the specs, this has 250 nits, where the 24 has 400 nits. That seems quite a bit brighter for a slightly larger screen.

Thanks for the tip on the swivel stand. I see you have it in a bright room with a big window. In bright sunlight is the monitor bright enough for good viewing? I the specs, this has 250 nits, where the 24 has 400 nits. That seems quite a bit brighter for a slightly larger screen.
To be honest, I'd go for the ZR24w if it wasn't for the price (here we DON'T have the same prices as in the US - I suspect ZR24w here will cost more than 500$) and resolution (I wanted 1920x1080 because it's less pixels for the GPU to compute and display than 1920x1200 => you need a better rig for 1920x1200).

Besides ZR24w got slightly lower response rate 5ms, not 8ms (ZR22w) and it's 400nits, not 250nits (ZR22w). If you don't mind the price premium, ZR24w may be a better choice for you.

That said, although I have one big window behind the monitor and one roof window so my room is quite bright during the day, the monitor is bright enough (contrast and brightness are set to 50) to work with all that daylight around. I can make better photos tomorrow with DCR on and setting contrast&brightness to various levels.

After 8 days after I ordered it, I finally got the monitor today. The dot pitch is really small, so don't get this if you're old and have to squint.

Otherwise, no dead pixels, good colors, I'm pretty happy. The colors are different than my other monitors (Dell 2001FP, Dell 2209WA, HP LP1965, HP LP2475W), but they are vivid and strong. I actually like the colors vs. my 3 other IPS monitors.

Haven't tried gaming on it yet, but for work productivity purposes, it's pretty sweet.

How would you compare the HP to the Dell 2209wa? I am finally getting to where I am jumping into an LCD after resisting for so many years (My good Sony CRT is dying and I just can't find any decent replacements these days).

I do mostly text editing but lightweight gaming comparison would be nice.

I have narrowed my search somewhat between the Dell and the HP so any comments you have will be appreciated.

TIA.

How would you compare the HP to the Dell 2209wa? I am finally getting to where I am jumping into an LCD after resisting for so many years (My good Sony CRT is dying and I just can't find any decent replacements these days).

I do mostly text editing but lightweight gaming comparison would be nice.

I have narrowed my search somewhat between the Dell and the HP so any comments you have will be appreciated.
I do not own Dell 2209WA but I was also thinking about this model (before I got ZR22w), although I did see 2209WA on few occasions and the main difference is (obviously) aspect ratio and screen resolution. As Rendition wrote - HP ZR22w got really small dot pitch. It's a bit of a problem if you don't sit too close to the LCD. Dell 2209WA is lower resolution (1680x1050) so dot pitch is bigger. Default DPI setting of 100% makes Dell a bit better for text editing.

However setting DPI in Windows 7 to 125% makes wonders and text on ZR22w is sharp (there is an OSD setting to change text sharpness) and you don't get that grainy feel (as with most TN). So if you don't mind changing DPI, bigger and higher resolution text on ZR22w will look better than 2209WA.

As for games - I mentioned that before, but if you turn on OverDrive (OSD setting) you won't see any difference (in terms of trailing/lag) between this 8ms S-IPS and any other 5ms TN panel. I did play few games since last Friday and it is more than ok. The colours are great, same as view angles. I did test it a lot in ArmA2 (combat sim), LockOn2 (flight sim) and Team Fortress 2 (FPS) and I didn't see any issues with HP ZR22w. Well, it could be 25", not 21,5";).

Also as a bonus over 2209WA, the HP ZR22w got also DisplayPort input (with cable). It's not a big deal but it gives you second digital input for you LCD.

P.S. I added few more photos of ZR22w. Not the best quality but I hope it will be helpful.

Last edited:
Does anyone else have any input on this monitor. I am debating betweeen this and the NEC ea231wmi. I know the NEC is good have had some experience with it. How does this HP compare?

Would like to hear some more input as well on this one since at the moment it can be had for $265 shipped. I've been previously looking at picking up the zr24w, but the with scaling issues with 1080p and my desire for a monitor to connect to a PS3 I'm thinking this might be a better/cheaper option. I just wish the response time was the same as the zr24w (but it sounds like it's still very fast?).

Does anyone else have any input on this monitor. I am debating betweeen this and the NEC ea231wmi. I know the NEC is good have had some experience with it. How does this HP compare?

Bumping this up to see if anyone has compared it to the EA231WMI yet. After seeing the review of the zr24w at TFT Central, I'm also interested to know if the black levels and contrast ratio are as disappointing on this one as on the zr24w. At the moment it looks like it's either this or the EA231WMI for me.

I got the ZR22w about a week ago and so far I'd say it works pretty well. I've been watching quite a few movies on it and blacks really do look far blacker than any TN panel screen. I have set contrast & brightness both at 70% which seems to work well. I like the way that you can control the individual Red Green & Blue channels. They default to 255 but I have reduced the blue channel to 221 as I prefer a "warmer" look. The dot pitch is ideal and I have set my desktop to 120dpi instead of 96dpi which gives much better text quality. I use "nosquint" in firefox with text @ 120%. The stand is very good and allows tilt, rotation and height adjustment. The stand is very heavy so makes the monitor stable.
I have not bothered using "overdrive" for video as video seems fine on the normal setting.

I really want a cheap IPS, as I have a 20" S-IPS Dell 2007WFP right now and want something with a higher resolution, so I have come across this ZR22W.

I'm having a hard time making a decision, because while upgrading to 1080p is great, only getting a monitor an inch and a half larger seems like a waste. Any opinions on this?

This ZR22W doesn't seem to be gaining the same kind of popularity as the ZR24W, so as there are no real reviews can anyone add new thoughts to the thread?
  • how grainy is the anti-glare coat on the ZR22W? compared to Dell 2209WA if possible?
  • has anyone measured the lag properly?
  • are there any corona effects when overdrive is activated?
  • is the uniformity better than the 2209WA?
I've got the 2209WA and it's OK, but I've never been completely happy with the uniformity, so I'm not too fussed about getting another (especially as prices are 40% more :eek: than I paid last year) Can't see too many other alternatives either, ruling out the Viewsonic VP2365WB due to poor quality, Fujitsu P22W-5 ECO IPS sounds OK but availability is restricted to continental EU

Is this really an S-IPS i.e. black gets a purple glow from an angle?

This is indeed an S-IPS panel, so is the 24" one. The iPad is also an S-IPS panel, as a random tidbit of info :)

Back