HP Z600 PS-On or External Power Supply

haileris

Limp Gawd
Hi

I have a HP Z600 workstation. Looking to use an external power supply to see if I can get a crossfire setup going. I've seen this Thermaltake power supply which looks the business http://temp.thermaltake.com/product_gallery.aspx?PARENT_CID=C_00001308&id=C_00001309&name=650W&ov=n&ovid=&parent_cp= but it needs to be plugged into the mobo 24 port connector to switch on at the same time as the main power supply. Trouble is the Z600 power connector is an HP custom one so I don't really want to mess with that. Is there anything on the market where I can get the appropriate signal from say a molex connector. I guess I can try to figure out the pinouts but scared I'll screw something up :)

I of course could have a manual switch but would like something that switches on / off with the main power supply. The Booster X5 is another alternative which I would prefer but doesnt seem to have made it over to the UK.

Thanks!!

If you have a multimeter it shouldn't be too hard to find PS_ON and tap it. You are looking for a line on the main power connector that is high when the machine is turned off and low when the machine is turned on.

Alternatively you could switch the PS_ON line of the secondary PSU from a switching device triggered by power from the primary PSU. There are commercial adaptors that do this out there (search for add2psu) but they seem overpriced to me. It's also not exactly difficult to do it yourself.

Thanks Plugwash - sadly I'm rather useless with this kind of thing so I appreciate the link!

Cheers

Back