HP Z420 cpu upgrade help

TeleFragger

[H]ard|Gawd
Yall helped me with my Dell T5810 cpu upgrade here - https://hardforum.com/threads/dell-t5810-cpu-upgrade.1953578

That machine just started having issues after vacation. Before vacation I powered it off and turned all power strips off for a week. Get home and the computer will not stay up and running long. Just shuts down or reboots while in the middle of something. I cleaned it with a can of air, removed all memory except 2 dims, removed all cards...
then bought a PS off of ebay and that did not do it.. waiting on a motherboard next...

so I have a spare machine that i put my 1060 in and am able to game and it is not bad at all. an HP Z420, 32gb ecc ram, 500gb ssd for C then 3x 500gb ssd for storage with 10gb nic.

so it has an e5-1620 v2 in it and i would like to find that sweet bump spot. I will try my e5-2678 later to see if it fits...but I am not sure if LGA2011-v3 is the same as FCLGA2011.

Here is the comparison
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/Intel-Xeon-E5-1620-v2-vs-Intel-Xeon-E5-2678-v3/2047vs2584

off to ebay to see what other model z420s are for sale to see what cpus are in some, and off to google but if you can shed the light on cpu sockets... if -3 is different, appreciate it.

I want to get this rig going as eventually will be my gaming streaming rig so it needs some upgrades anyway.

Thanks again!

took my z420 cpu out and compared it to the old one from my t5810.. totally different so will not work.
looking on ebay, I do not see any real great cpus for it running in 420s now so that is disappointing

You answered your question - the sockets are different.

The processors in that V2 series have trade offs in base clock speed vs number of cores. Which do you prefer? More cores or higher base clocks? Here's the top of the stack sorted by base clock. Make sure your MB can handle the one you want to use.

1631725076245.png

You answered your question - the sockets are different.

The processors in that V2 series have trade offs in base clock speed vs number of cores. Which do you prefer? More cores or higher base clocks? Here's the top of the stack sorted by base clock. Make sure your MB can handle the one you want to use.

View attachment 395406

well after much googling... I see many people saying how nice the e5-2687w v2 was. I currently have the top one, so 4 cores and base 3.7GHz... since I cannot overclock (HP), then I guess that ist he best option unless i wanted the e5-1660 v2 which has same clock but 2 extra cores... hmmm

well after much googling... I see many people saying how nice the e5-2687w v2 was. I currently have the top one, so 4 cores and base 3.7GHz... since I cannot overclock (HP), then I guess that ist he best option unless i wanted the e5-1660 v2 which has same clock but 2 extra cores... hmmm
Yes, those "w" skus are nice combination of base clock and core count. A few years ago getting an off lease 6 or 8 core xeon was a great alternative to building a 4c i7.

I have an E5-2697 v2 crunching sidock for [H] today in an X79 system. Not fast or efficient by todays standards. But then I have an SR2 with a pair of x5690's crunching away, too. So, efficiency really isn't my primary goal.

Back