HP W2408H or Gateway FHD2400

I would get the Gateway. I've compared these at several stores and the HP always has more backlight bleed than the Gateway. As long as you turn down the brightness on the Gateway to 15 or below the backlight bleed will stay at a minimum.

yah i have an FHD2400 and its easily the best monitor ive ever played on

completely worth it

although the HP also looks good... it seems to be a bit "more glossy" but from what ive hard dosent have as many features and in my opinion has a worse design

either way youl probably be happy but i can give the gateway a thumbs up :)

I actually went into the store and went into the service menu of the HP and it uses a samsung panel, it was coded SAM_ltm240ct03 and the colors were amazing, and much better than the regular 2408 and the gateway, i should have mine early next week when i have time to grab it.....its an amazing monitor.....i hope there is no lottery for the H model........samsung panel rocked.

I actually bought the HP w2408h today at Office Depot. It was on display with all the other monitors and the colors and vibrance blew them all away. Once I got it home and hooked it up to my ATi card I was blown away. While i'm not graphic professional or claim to know alot about LCD screens this one is awesome for my needs. I am a gamer though and I have played BF2142, Enemy Terroritory and TF2 and this monitor handles them perfectly. No ghosting, or wierd anomilies... There is very light backlight bleed, very minor, and I have no stuck or dead pixels which is a plus. Also this monitor scales very well and has one to one for those wanting it for console gaming.

If you have any questions please feel free to ask.

Can you access you service menu and tell me which model you have..............to acess service menu turn the monitor off, hold menu button and turn the monitor on, once on there should be a new option when you press menu called service, go in there on the bottom should tell you the panel type, i wanna know if all use the samsung panel, thanks.

both of these panels use the same samsung panel so go for the gateway it has way more inputs

Awsome, seems like most HP W2408H only the H model are using the samsung panel with "vivid color" good news will be getting mine soon.

I have been using the FHD2400 since October. I just got a w2408h and my first impression is that the w2408h is far superior. Colors are better and the contrast seems far better. And best of all, no discernible backlight bleeding! Having no dead or stuck pixels is also a sweet plus.

ive been reading the displays thread for a short while looking for a decent 24-inch lcd. finally picked up an hp w2408h a couple of days ago and am pretty happy all around. mine is a samsung panel and i cant tell of any backlight bleed at all.

so im just not quite sure why there isnt much love for this monitor.

I bought an HP w2408h just over a month ago and I'm really impressed with it.

I use it mainly for console gaming (PS3 & 360) via HDMI and it is excellent. Great colour reproduction, a pin sharp image and there is absolutely no evidence of ghosting. The only minor gripe is that there is perhaps a wee bit of backlight bleed but not a big issue.

I also have the LPL_LM240WU3 panel.

you have the LPL, that must explain the backlight issue, the samsung panel is amazing compared to the lpl ones.

I purchased the FHD2400 the week it came out so it is very likely I had a Samsung panel. Here's what my FHD2400 looked like about a month after getting it.
IMG_3261.jpg

Believe it or not, the bleeding got even worse than that.

Here's my HP w2408h with an LG panel.
IMG_3263.jpg

And about the comparison of the panels. My Gateway suffered from bad viewing angles not only vertically but also horizontally. In dark areas of my games, I would need to move my head off center left or right and many details would become apparent that weren't head on. Moving my head off center horizontally on my HP makes little difference.

DAYUM! My Gateway doesn't have near as bad backlight bleed as yours, but it's not as good as your w2408h either. I might have to buy one of these beasts myself. The only problem is my return period is passed on the Gateway :(. Might be time to put it on Craigslist for a loss.

The Gateway is billed as a 3ms monitor though, whereas the HP is billed as 5ms. What's the story there?

So jumping on this conversation, I am just about ready to buy a new monitor. I will use it at home for almost exclusively gaming, occasional photoshop, web browsing, etc. No consoles, I have a 32" Westinghouse for that.

My current monitor is a Viewsonic VX910 and I have had zero problems with it. I have never been unhappy with it's color, gaming performance, etc. In fact it still works marvelously, I just want a bigger monitor because, well. I just do.

I am currently stuck considering the Westinghouse LM2410, the HP W2408H, and the Gateway FHD2400.

The Westinghouse is available at PrettyGoodBuy this week for $329, although I'd need a DVI->HDMI converter or cable. It lacks an adjustable stand, which isn't a complete deal breaker but certainly is an shortcoming. Lack of USB ports too is unfortunate.

The Gateway has a superior selection of inputs, but I'm only likely to be using DVI anyway so that is a nice extra, but ultimately is just extra. I don't really like the touch menu on the side of the monitor, but the overall enclosure looks very nice. The adjustable display is a nice plus. The 90deg rotation is a cute feature but I can probably count the number of times I would ever use that on both hands. This applies to the HP as well.

The HP has a nice menu, and has what appears to be (to my not-so-picky eye) a nice display. The price is lower than the Gateway by $50 which softens the blow on the service plan, but is still $200 more than the Westinghouse. Again, the adjustable display stand is a nice plus.

So far, I'm really leaning toward the HP but I'm really trigger-shy from reading all the issues people are having with backlight bleed and so on. I'll admit that even after weeks of research I'm still fairly ignorant of the whole TN vs MVA vs IPS panel debate. By all accounts my VX910 is a TN display and it has been a flawless monitor for me. I'm worried that if I spend a not inconsiderable amount of money on a new monitor that something I'm not considering or aware of will jump out and piss me off because it's a TN panel.

Reductant has had a lot of good things to say about monitors in general and I appreciate the input immensely.

What am I missing here?

Also, does anyone know if the HP W2408H is an 8 bit or 6 bit panel? Is there a good site reference for panel types, bit depth, etc? Maybe a good tool I can put on a USB stick an try at the store on a display model?

I have a w2408h and I love it...couldn't be happier with it...I stuck 2 weeks ago trying to decide between the FHD2400 and this one too. I almost bought the FHD2400 but at the last minute I decided to go with this one. I'm not sure if it's an 8 bit or 6 bit...any way for me to test it?

So jumping on this conversation, I am just about ready to buy a new monitor. I will use it at home for almost exclusively gaming, occasional photoshop, web browsing, etc. No consoles, I have a 32" Westinghouse for that.

My current monitor is a Viewsonic VX910 and I have had zero problems with it. I have never been unhappy with it's color, gaming performance, etc. In fact it still works marvelously, I just want a bigger monitor because, well. I just do.

What am I missing here?

Well.... Actually my previous LCD was the Viewsonic VX910 before I upgraded to the HP. My Viewsonic was a great monitor, never had any issues with it. The color and gaming performance was excellent just as you feel about yours. But I can tell you for a fact that this monitor blows it out of the water. The colors are alot richer, the text is alot sharper, no ghosting, no issues at all. The minor backlight bleed is virtually gone by turning down the brightness from stock settings. I too wanted a bigger monitor hence why I purchased this. And its a decision that I do not regret in the least.

I had my Viewsonic for quite awhile, it was actually $50 cheaper then I paid for this one.

wow the HP's backlight does look a lot better... Thanks Extremetech (gave the HP like a 6 out of 10 and the Gateway a 9 out of 10)

heres a pic of My FHD2400- im still very happy with it

My experience with my new HP w2408h is very good. Black, white, color, response is impressive. Calibration software is helpful. But it is going back...

When in pivot mode the bad viewing angles typical of TN panels pops up. When directly in front of the screen, 2-3" on the right side is dark, this becomes more pronounced the darker the image is, unfortunately it is so pronounced that it cant be overlooked, this is not a hardware defect, just a panel type issue.

Also, because of the hinge in the stand, pivoting is impractical for daily switching. If it wasn't for the first issue I would have simply bought an Ergotron LX. - Instead Im spending a little extra for the HP lp2475w.

I received the HP w2408h monitor today and I'm disgusted. I've not been as far as plugging it in yet but I will never buy another one nor another HP. Mistakenly I took this to the users desk before unboxing it only to discover an absurd packaging method. Why would they put unboxing instructions on the front of the monitor that requires completely unboxing it to get to? I didn't take a screwdriver with me to the users desk either. Why would I when all I'm doing is attaching a new monitor? Then we discovered the front absolutely plastered in gaudy stickers.

One should not need a screwdriver, goo gone, and an ice pack to install a monitor.

Why oh why did Asus stop making 24's?!

So, you're judging a monitor based on its packaging?

I think someone said something about a book and its cover once...

So, you're judging a monitor based on its packaging?

I think someone said something about a book and its cover once...

Based upon the complete lack of thinking in the manufacture of said monitor. Would you buy a car with the keys locked inside?

Or, using your analogy, would you pickup and read a book covered in feces?

You can drag the bible through feces, but it won't change that Cain murders Abel in Genesis 4:1-16.

You can drop any book in feces, yet the contents won't change.

You can drag the bible through feces, but it won't change that Cain murders Abel in Genesis 4:1-16.

You can drop any book in feces, yet the contents won't change.

Exactly! Why would you put up with the texture, smell, taste, and mess of a bible covered in feces if you could have a pristine one that is not! Thanks for understanding!

Exactly! Why would you put up with the texture, smell, taste, and mess of a bible covered in feces if you could have a pristine one that is not! Thanks for understanding!

So there are hp w2408h monitors with different packaging?

So there are hp w2408h monitors with different packaging?

I haven't looked since this mess rules out all future HP purchases but given that it's an LG panel (I think that's what the LPL_LM240WU3 means), I would expect there to be an LG version. Regardless there are better 24" LCD's out there and since price isn't an issue (within reason) I'll find one.

There are multiple formats of the bible with the same text inside.

I haven't looked since this mess rules out all future HP purchases but given that it's an LG panel (I think that's what the LPL_LM240WU3 means), I would expect there to be an LG version. Regardless there are better 24" LCD's out there and since price isn't an issue (within reason) I'll find one.

There are multiple formats of the bible with the same text inside.

True, there are many TN panel based monitors, including the HP w2408h and LG W2452T, however they are all have different characteristics.

woot.com !!
go now!!!

*edit* nvm... item sold out
LG W2600H-PF for 375 shipped

might've been worth considering

we order primarily dell 2408s and 3007s for large display workstations. the 2408s we can get for a pretty decent price, scores below the retail price. If it's for a business, which it sounds like you are, you might want to inquire about their business pricing.

Actually, we're education. I turned away from Dell when I got here a couple years ago, too many dying machines, I just couldn't keep up. We've been trying to find some nice 24's since but for 30's we were doing apple for the high quality and steep discounts. Now that's over too. sigh

Back