HP Unveils New Supercomputer Up To 8,000 Times Faster Than Existing PCs

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Announced two years ago, HP’s supercomputer “The Machine” is meant to be the world’s first demonstration of memory-driven computing. Calculations will rely on memory rather than traditional processors.

The Machine prototype that has been shown is proof of concept of the real world applications of this amazing technology. The business focused side of the corporation; HP Enterprise stated that in simulations the machine has shown speed up to 8,000 times faster than your conventional computers. If this is really true then this is a huge leap in this field of technology. Don’t get too excited though because the machine is still many years away from its market release. Plus it will be targeting mostly high-end servers that companies like Facebook use and not your day to day PCs.

Plus it will be targeting mostly high-end servers that companies like Facebook use and not your day to day PCs.
Of course. The best tech, used for Facebook. makes perfect sense.
Idiocracy, here we come....

Of course. The best tech, used for Facebook. makes perfect sense.
Idiocracy, here we come....

Oh come on you know this was just a example. Amazon, Netflix and google could make very good use of this if it pans out. I just don't know anything about this concept of computing.

Did the video anger anyone else by having 0 technical substance? Wtf is their paradigm shift here, how does it work, and why is this video so fake with marketing bullshit and people in groups pointing at things.

Read the article, only thing I can gather is its using photonics. So this is the first working computer to use light? But yeah hopefully they'll have a white paper on it.

Dug thru some of the info on the machine. It needs petabytes of memory. Not something you'll have at home any time soon.

Last edited:
Did the video anger anyone else by having 0 technical substance? Wtf is their paradigm shift here, how does it work, and why is this video so fake with marketing bullshit and people in groups pointing at things.

Probably more aimed at investors than techs. So an investor watches that, they may buy stock in HP. My guess anyway.

The technology is pretty groundbreaking. Traditional memory hierarchy and CPU centralized architecture is a thing of the past. Photonics render copper and core loss obsolete, speeds up communication between components significantly and increases signal fidelity substantially. We are talking about 320 Tb of Memory connected to over 2,500 computing cores through photonic connections. Plans for the project are focused on introducing non-volatile memristor storage in the future, though this is not the case in the current prototypes. We're talking hundreds of Petabytes of storage on a single server with low latency access...nanoseconds. Couple that with a custom environment that is tailored to this architecture (possibly an enhanced version of Vertica for data analytics) and we may have a winner. Of course... this is all assuming that memristors work out. Disclaimer: I work at HP, but not on this project directly.

But what do they mean by conventional computers/existing PCs? is this 8000 times more powerful than a single average consumer desktop, or 8000x more powerful than a modern supercomputer with the same number of cores, or 8000x more powerful than a modern supercomputer that occupies the same volume, or 8000x more powerful than a modern supercomputer per watt?

This technology goes literally to waste if it ends up running Facebook.

Some serious Facebook haters up in here. Alt-right news outlets not enough for ya? Why you gotta shit on the #1 social network, the one that gave a forum for crazies to find other crazies and succeed in electing Trumpadarus?

My point is that FB is just as much an echo chamber for the left as it is for the right. Both self-selection and FB's own newsfeed algorithms serve to create a near perfect echo chamber of both side's views, and did effectively play a role in this past election. It reinforced the so-called "alt-right" messaging, just as it did the "left-left" if you will. That Trump came from that was an unfortunate side-effect of these votes.

My point is that FB is just as much an echo chamber for the left as it is for the right. Both self-selection and FB's own newsfeed algorithms serve to create a near perfect echo chamber of both side's views, and did effectively play a role in this past election. It reinforced the so-called "alt-right" messaging, just as it did the "left-left" if you will. That Trump came from that was an unfortunate side-effect of these votes.

Well look at all this off-topic banter!

Let us stay on track.

As asked above, what is this '8000x' claim refering to? My PC? Your mother's PC? an Intel 386?

The technology is pretty groundbreaking. Traditional memory hierarchy and CPU centralized architecture is a thing of the past. Photonics render copper and core loss obsolete, speeds up communication between components significantly and increases signal fidelity substantially. We are talking about 320 Tb of Memory connected to over 2,500 computing cores through photonic connections. Plans for the project are focused on introducing non-volatile memristor storage in the future, though this is not the case in the current prototypes. We're talking hundreds of Petabytes of storage on a single server with low latency access...nanoseconds. Couple that with a custom environment that is tailored to this architecture (possibly an enhanced version of Vertica for data analytics) and we may have a winner. Of course... this is all assuming that memristors work out. Disclaimer: I work at HP, but not on this project directly.

Eh? With 40,000 % more memory and 625% more cores than your average 4 core, 8 GB machine I'm not surprised it's more powerful.

No, you're not the only one. While it may have been a little too much to ask for a benchmark it would have been great to sell this to the common person, figurative that is.
A few examples or piratical explanation of how it would work would be great. This seems more like a pat on the back, let me sell you this idea, type video.

Yes it did, but it was rapidly forgotten about once I clicked through to the article and realized it was penned by someone for whom that video was going over their head. Either that or who didn't give a fuck and just sort of made shit up while slicing and dicing a press release.

Things it might make faster by 8000x - really large simulations.

Things it definitely won't - your fucking phone.

I also suspect that well the concurrent, rapid access to a shit ton of in memory data might be applicable to facebook, I suspect he economics is not.

Back