HP TouchSmart tm2t or other tablet?

aznpotpie

[H]ard|Gawd
So my brother bought an iPad and it was fun for consuming media but now we need a tablet like the iPhone/iPads touchscreen response to produce work on the go. It seems the Touchsmart tm2t is a good choice, anyone have any opinions about this one or any other tablet for around $1k?

I feel you. I LOVE my tm2, its an fantastic device. One word of advice, wait about a month or so as the device is DEFINITELY getting a refresh to an i3/i5 CPU and more than likely the option of a DX 11 HD 5450 GPU. There's some debate on everything that coming, standard vs. ULV CPUs but my guess is that it will ULV CPUs because of their fantastic thermals and power consumption.

The biggest weakness is its screen. It's glossy and the viewing angles are not great in all orientations and honestly if I were updating the device this would be the first thing I upgraded. That may come in the refresh, there's been no word on it but a better screen in combination with the CPU and GPU upgrades, OMFG, it would just a bad ass mobile device beyond belief. That said my SU9600 1.6Ghz HD 4550 6 GB unit simply rocks and the screen is still very good when used within the viewing angles. I've gotten used to it and to me everything else that this unit is great at VASTLY outweighs the screen's issues.

I currently run Visual Studio 2010 and Office 2010 all the time on the device and its performance is very good, just doesn't get slow or sluggish.

I will more than likely be getting a top-line refresh unit when they go on sale and I'll let you know how that turns out if you're interested and will be happy to answer questions about the current unit. You can probably get a good deal on a used unit as well as I know a few people that are or will be selling their units and getting the refresh, I'll be keeping mine and forgoing a pure slate device I think. As time goes on I think I really am not interesting in a pure slate anymore.

But this unit pretty much does it all as is. Games decently, hand writing recognition, it'll play Blu Ray at 1080p over HDMI, you name it, it does it. Unbelievable functionality.

Check out tabletpcerview.com, best Tablet PC forums out there and a LOT of tm2 owners on that site. The tm2 is pretty much THE Tablet PC right now in the consumer space.

I feel you. I LOVE my tm2, its an fantastic device. One word of advice, wait about a month or so as the device is DEFINITELY getting a refresh to an i3/i5 CPU and more than likely the option of a DX 11 HD 5450 GPU. There's some debate on everything that coming, standard vs. ULV CPUs but my guess is that it will ULV CPUs because of their fantastic thermals and power consumption.

The biggest weakness is its screen. It's glossy and the viewing angles are not great in all orientations and honestly if I were updating the device this would be the first thing I upgraded. That may come in the refresh, there's been no word on it but a better screen in combination with the CPU and GPU upgrades, OMFG, it would just a bad ass mobile device beyond belief. That said my SU9600 1.6Ghz HD 4550 6 GB unit simply rocks and the screen is still very good when used within the viewing angles. I've gotten used to it and to me everything else that this unit is great at VASTLY outweighs the screen's issues.

I currently run Visual Studio 2010 and Office 2010 all the time on the device and its performance is very good, just doesn't get slow or sluggish.

I will more than likely be getting a top-line refresh unit when they go on sale and I'll let you know how that turns out if you're interested and will be happy to answer questions about the current unit. You can probably get a good deal on a used unit as well as I know a few people that are or will be selling their units and getting the refresh, I'll be keeping mine and forgoing a pure slate device I think. As time goes on I think I really am not interesting in a pure slate anymore.

But this unit pretty much does it all as is. Games decently, hand writing recognition, it'll play Blu Ray at 1080p over HDMI, you name it, it does it. Unbelievable functionality.

Check out tabletpcerview.com, best Tablet PC forums out there and a LOT of tm2 owners on that site. The tm2 is pretty much THE Tablet PC right now in the consumer space.

Thank you for that, lots of good info there, (I am also in the market). Are you sure about the refresh to i3/i5 though? Didn't the tm2 just come out in January?
I hope it's true cause I won't need one until June/July.

Thank you for that, lots of good info there, (I am also in the market). Are you sure about the refresh to i3/i5 though? Didn't the tm2 just come out in January?
I hope it's true cause I won't need one until June/July.

Nothing is confirmed, but as always, if you can wait, then wait.

there is a bing 25% CB for HP right now...

I am looking at getting a TM2T with the 4550 and a SU7300 and selling my DM3T

hmm, resisting temptation

there is a bing 25% CB for HP right now...

I am looking at getting a TM2T with the 4550 and a SU7300 and selling my DM3T

hmm, resisting temptation

I was about to bite on the BCB for HP when I found an article on the revision being on pre-order at Amazon. Now I'm torn between wanting to take advantage of the BCB or waiting on the revision.

Yeah there is a refresh coming, that's pretty much for sure, its already showing up: http://www.amazon.com/TouchSmart-tm...2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1274329931&sr=8-2

The problem with this is that this is listing a standard voltage i3, which would really suck. Most of the guys over at Tabletpcreview.com think this is a typo as do I. One of the great things about the current C2D CULV CPUs is how cool they run, and HP convertible tablets have a notorious history of running hot. There's not real need for a standard voltage CPU in the tm2, the C2D in my current unit runs great, it's just not slow and the heat is so low that its always easy to hold or rest in your lap, heat and noise just aren't issues.

But this does look like a big deal, with ULV i3/i5 CPUs the tm2 should have MUCH better performance and if it has a 5450 GPU as well you're talking about a very decent gaming machine as well for an ultra-portable. I doubt that we'll see a screen update as from my understanding the screen is actually put together by Wacom, they add the digitizers for HP in bulk if my info is correct. The other big complaint I hear is the touch pad. I really have no issues with mine overall all, two finger scrolling works well. Pinching not so great but you can do that on the screen and to me its more natural anyway and a lot of folks think the same way about this.

But yeah, I'm really stoked for this puppy. I've been so pleased with the thing that an improvement in in CPU and GPU speed in the same heat and power signature, yeah all in for that. But gosh, just a little better viewing angles on the screen and a little less gloss. However when viewed in the angle range the screen is quite bright, clear and crisp even now, it just doesn't impact my use of the unit, its just noticeable when you're outside the viewing angle range.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
For $950 I think I might become a TM2 owner...

heatlesssun: Can the tm2 support 2 external monitors?

Yeah there is a refresh coming, that's pretty much for sure, its already showing up: http://www.amazon.com/TouchSmart-tm...2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1274329931&sr=8-2

The problem with this is that this is listing a standard voltage i3, which would really suck. Most of the guys over at Tabletpcreview.com think this is a typo as do I. One of the great things about the current C2D CULV CPUs is how cool they run, and HP convertible tablets have a notorious history of running hot. There's not real need for a standard voltage CPU in the tm2, the C2D in my current unit runs great, it's just not slow and the heat is so low that its always easy to hold or rest in your lap, heat and noise just aren't issues.

But this does look like a big deal, with ULV i3/i5 CPUs the tm2 should have MUCH better performance and if it has a 5450 GPU as well you're talking about a very decent gaming machine as well for an ultra-portable. I doubt that we'll see a screen update as from my understanding the screen is actually put together by Wacom, they add the digitizers for HP in bulk if my info is correct. The other big complaint I hear is the touch pad. I really have no issues with mine overall all, two finger scrolling works well. Pinching not so great but you can do that on the screen and to me its more natural anyway and a lot of folks think the same way about this.

But yeah, I'm really stoked for this puppy. I've been so pleased with the thing that an improvement in in CPU and GPU speed in the same heat and power signature, yeah all in for that. But gosh, just a little better viewing angles on the screen and a little less gloss. However when viewed in the angle range the screen is quite bright, clear and crisp even now, it just doesn't impact my use of the unit, its just noticeable when you're outside the viewing angle range.

i3 with a 5450 would be awesome but damn, %25 cash back is just too tempting.

i3 with a 5450 would be awesome but damn, %25 cash back is just too tempting.

Hey, I don't blame you, the current tm2 still rocks!;) If you're looking for something to run Office, OneNote, web surfing, eReading, etc. the current unit will be fine.

my SU7300 and m105 is a fine combo, great battery life and I can play CS:S, portal and other valve engine games fine

Here's a little more info about the new i3 TM2 for those that are following this developing story :cool:

Link

EDIT: As a side note it really kills me that I can't buy one in Canada with a real video card in it. All of the ones available up here have the Intel 4500MHD. I will be driving through the States (mid-west) in mid June though so I'll be keeping an eye out. Any advice on retails stores I could check? I checked Bestbuy and Microcenter online, but only found the barebones models, and those are the only two big US retailers I could think of. I'd probably buy a Core2 based one as long as it had a Radeon card.

Last edited:
Here's a little more info about the new i3 TM2 for those that are following this developing story :cool:

Link

EDIT: As a side note it really kills me that I can't buy one in Canada with a real video card in it. All of the ones available up here have the Intel 4500MHD. I will be driving through the States (mid-west) in mid June though so I'll be keeping an eye out. Any advice on retails stores I could check? I checked Bestbuy and Microcenter online, but only found the barebones models, and those are the only two big US retailers I could think of. I'd probably buy a Core2 based one as long as it had a Radeon card.

Do you have any friends in the states? Are there any courier companies available?

Do you have any friends in the states? Are there any courier companies available?

From what I understand, shipping from Canada to the US is no big deal. However the other way around is a different story. Canada customs would tax a shipment of blankets to an orphanage. Anyhow, I'll try to restrain myself from slipping into a "free-trade" rant.

The bottom line is that I'd rather buy in Canada, and barring that, from a US retailer in person. At least then if I have to pay tax to get it across the border I won't have to pay a ridiculous brokerage fee. Thanks for the suggestion though!

Link

So according to that article mid-June. That actually works out perfectly for me. Good thing I resisted buying one when bing had the 25% cash back.

Link

Thanks for the info! I admit that I don't understand why HP doesn't offer custom configs outside of the States. People outside of the states complain about this constantly over at Tabletpcreview.com and it's a good number of folks I'd say. My observation is that this device has at least the same amount or even more appeal outside of America versus in. HP could easily sell more units if not for this situation but there must be some reason other than it being simply arbitrary.

At any rate I'm stoked about this update. I've been hearing rumors of the discrete GPU being upgraded to the HD 5450. With that and a ULV i5 I'm all in and I'll probably keep my current tm2 as a backup.

The only other thing I wish HP would do is improve the glossy coating and viewing angles of of the screen, it's really the only weakness of the current tm2 IMHO.

Also for any of you getting this device if you use Office you must get Office 2010 for this thing. It works so well with a touch screen. Not as smooth with multi-touch compared to the iPad and iWorks but for what Office 2010 lacks in that department it makes up for in functionality.

Can't wait! Boy I hope that HP is listening!:D

So according to that article mid-June. That actually works out perfectly for me. Good thing I resisted buying one when bing had the 25% cash back.

Yeah the rumor for quite a few weeks has been pretty consistent, mid to late June so I think that's definite.

If you know someone with the HP tablet (or touchsmart PC) I would suggest taking a spin. That is to say the HP tablet is awesome but a Windows tablet isn't as snappy in response to touch as the iPad or iPod Touch. If your fine with that cool but if your expecting the same touch/response time you may be disappointed.

Mark June 22 on your calendar. Over on Tabletpcreview.com a member said that an HP rep told him that that she couldn't talk about the the new units until June 22 so it's logical to assume that this will be the launch date. Wheather or not HP will have product to sell on that date however is a different matter.

If you know someone with the HP tablet (or touchsmart PC) I would suggest taking a spin. That is to say the HP tablet is awesome but a Windows tablet isn't as snappy in response to touch as the iPad or iPod Touch. If your fine with that cool but if your expecting the same touch/response time you may be disappointed.

It's a bit more complicated than this. Yes overall the iPad is much snappier with multi-touch where the UI is concerned as most of the apps for the tm2 are still desktop apps. There are a few however that are geared towards multi-touch and are very much in the iPad's leauge like Microsoft Surface Globe that comes with the Touch Pack. And single touch for tapping stuff works great.

Another thing to consider as well are the applications functions beyond the UI. Take for example Office 2010 versus iWork. Sure iWork's multi-touch UI is smoother than Office but really, does anyone for a moment believe that iWork is the functional equivalent of Office? So yes you can have some great LOOKING apps but functionally not so great. I'm not saying the iWork apps are bad, they aren't, but they aren't Office. I think for most people who were concerned about getting work done they'd forego the UI beauty in favor of being able to do EXACTLY the same thing on their touch screen as they do on a laptop or desktop as long as the touch screen is decent.

Plus don't forget the pen, something the iPad doesn't have.

I was so very looking forward to the HP Slate, so I am looking for a replacement!

Gonna be Tablet PC or 13 inch MBP.

Its very tiring that I have all these peripherals and they are all tied together. Meaning I have a Zune (love it), an iPhone (don't love ATT, and love the integration with the MBP), and I am looking at switching to the Evo (with Sprint).

Ahh, the tech / gadget interactions.

forgot about that :p i remembered seeing it in another thread in this area.....that does look promising.....though running anything other than a chopped down smartphone OS(iPhone OS, Cough Cough), will not allow it to be snappy like an iPad, and everyone will bitch.....looks like any windows tablet that can do anything worth doing is in trouble :p

that would be a Slate , not a Tablet :p

look at the Asus EEEPad, or Dell has one coming out if I remember....or just get an IPad

That's not what I'm saying. I'm saying if they took this and tore off the touchpad and keyboard and just had it a straight tablet, I would buy it. I don't care that it wouldn't be as thin as an iPad. None of the standalones are even remotely as powerful as this.

That's not what I'm saying. I'm saying if they took this and tore off the touchpad and keyboard and just had it a straight tablet, I would buy it. I don't care that it wouldn't be as thin as an iPad. None of the standalones are even remotely as powerful as this.

Asus has the EP121 slate which uses the same C2D as the current tm2 but that's not out until next year.

Pure slates are nice, had a Motion slate many years ago, but even with the added weight the great thing about a convertible is that the ability to turn into a laptop is just handy and always having a keyboard and mouse, just too useful.

If I want a bulky tablet, I would just get a Cintiq or Intuous + laptop. The whole point of a tablet is a compromise between Wacom functionality and portability. That Asus tablet looks like it could be what I'm looking for if it's executed properly and they don't gimp it like all the other ones are doing.

I'm also watching the Viliv X10.

There's also the Exopc, which should be out in 3 months I hope: www.exopc.com. There's a number of YouTube videos on the unit as well.

As far as convertibles being bulky, it looks like that's finally becoming less so. The new tm2 according to the the spec, the refresh model with the i3/i5 and hopefully i7 CPU, looks to be less than an 1" overall, with the hump in the back of the current tm2 getting a 1/3" chopped off, so even at its thickest the new tm2 is only around 1.2" and it's a 1/2 pound lighter as well, at 4.2 pounds.

So at overall less than an 1" think and at 4,2 lbs with the likes of an i7 (hopefully that's an upgrade option) as well as an HD 5450 GPU, just not bulky in my book. No its not 1.5 lbs and about .5" like the iPad, but there's a lot of trade-offs to get there with these devices.

But I'm definitely looking to pick up an ExoPC and the new tm2 when they become available.

Have you noticed the new tm2 only has Intel HD graphics and not ATI?

Not true from the different spec sheets I've seen. The Italian model for instance seems to have the HD 5450 listed in its specs: http://translate.google.com/transla...us:IE-Address&rurl=translate.google.com&twu=1

This is like the way the current tm2 has been sold in Europe for some reason, the base models have dedicated GPU options. The unit listed on Amazon doesn't have the 5450, it comes only with the Intel on-CPU IGP of the i3 but will probably be a made to order option in the US like the 4550 is on the current tm2.

Either way, it's going to have to be really thin to justify having the junky keyboard attached to it. I would much rather just use a pure slate and my BT keyboard if needed, which is way higher quality.

The new tm2 is overall less than an 1" thick at .96" over most of the unit and only 1.18" thick where the cooling hump is, currently it's 1.55" and at 4.2 lbs it's lost .5 lbs, not bad for a revision coming less than six months after the first release.

That weight and size for a unit that does all that thing does for the price, it's one of a kind for now.

Yes, and the slate tablets based on the low-power c2d or atom are to be between 1-2 lb. Where do you think all the fat is? It's in the unnecessary hinges, extra plastic/materials, keyboard, touchpad, and associated structural design necessary for a laptop that are entirely unneeded for a slate.

Yes, and the slate tablets based on the low-power c2d or atom are to be between 1-2 lb. Where do you think all the fat is? It's in the unnecessary hinges, extra plastic/materials, keyboard, touchpad, and associated structural design necessary for a laptop that are entirely unneeded for a slate.

I don't think you can stick a Radeon HD5450 and i-series cpu into and all the required battery and cooling those require into a 2lb slate. There's a trade-off and you will not get the power of a tm2 tablet laptop into a 2lb slate.

Back