HP Touchpad 16GB $99, 32GB $149, Active for .edu

Recieved both of mine yesterday from Office Depot. Nice little device. Takes a while to update as it kept timing out when downloading the package. Maybe due to the high volume of traffic with all these sold. A few issues with the browser and comcast web mail, but other than that seems to work really well. Anyone know what handbrake setting would work best for this?

If all the [H] members would sign up with a fake ebay account, then wait till the last second to bid something stupid on every touchpad, you'd stop the ebay madness...

Well it would frustrate some other [H] members too... :D

If all the [H] members would sign up with a fake ebay account, then wait till the last second to bid something stupid on every touchpad, you'd stop the ebay madness...

Well it would frustrate some other [H] members too... :D

That is a wonderfully sinister plan... If it wasnt thwarted by eBay 2nd chance offer..
Unless you shill bid with a good account and a fake one and always let the fake one win..

Recieved both of mine yesterday from Office Depot. Nice little device. Takes a while to update as it kept timing out when downloading the package. Maybe due to the high volume of traffic with all these sold. A few issues with the browser and comcast web mail, but other than that seems to work really well. Anyone know what handbrake setting would work best for this?

The ipad setting works well for me, you just need to ensure you final file size is under 2gb as the player refuses to load anything over that. You can also keep the resolution higher than 1024 width if you want to use the player's zoom option on widescreen content, just be wary of the file size.

One thing you will want to change is dynamic range compression to something around 2.5 (DRC in the audio tab). Without this the quiet scenes are just way too quiet on the tablet speakers, particularly if you are downmuxing from a DD or DTS track.

well, if someone wants to help out a fellow [H}er i would be willing to pay a reasonable extra over the 99 or 149

this has been so frustrating, i did not find out until sunday nite, and have been trying to get one ever since, and nothing nowhere.

thanks

So an update for folks wondering about other CostCentral buyers...

I ordered my pad around 9:30 PST Sunday the 21st and I called about my order since they pulled the hold on my credit card. They said that my order was in processing for shipping and I would get charged as soon as their system stopped being full retard. Some other folks who ordered before me got cancelled but it seemed like people who had more than one pad on order had lower priority.

I also ordered a case for the touchpad the other day and I didn't even get a hold put on my card.

The craigslisting and ebay'ers are insane, it's one thing to flood the market with small 10-20% markups but these things are never going to sell for 250-350. Those prices are going to have to drop eventually. I got mine but it sucks for those of you who were "unlucky" enough to not pick up 10 or so.

staples might get some in stock today (in store only). might as in YMMV and might have to camp out for hours to wait for the truck to arrive

well, if someone wants to help out a fellow [H}er i would be willing to pay a reasonable extra over the 99 or 149

this has been so frustrating, i did not find out until sunday nite, and have been trying to get one ever since, and nothing nowhere.

thanks

I am in the same boat... I would love one for close to the price they got it for with a little extra.. but most people who bought a lot, bought the extras to give to family/friends or to earn a big profit for themselves....

Does your netbook have a dual core processor & SSD?

Mine can if I swap in my SSD from my desktop :D.

Is anyone having trouble updating to 3.0.2 for WebOS? The update downloads for 5 seconds then stops then I have to it download again. I did this for 30 minutes last night as I wanted to try homebrew/overclock stuff. It said I updated, but upon looking at the OS version it is still 3.0.0 and still has the download problem :(.

It's going to take a while. There are a lot of people getting their touchpad's and updating right now. Just keep trying.

It's going to take a while. There are a lot of people getting their touchpad's and updating right now. Just keep trying.

Yeah I figured that maybe the issue as I think tons got their's from HP last night. I'll try it now and see what happens. Has anyone tried the homebrew/overlock, if is there a nice improvement. With playing Angry Birds HD, App shopping, and internet browsing I am find this to be a very nice tablet. Some reviewers were bitching about the extra weight/fatness of this tablet, but it doesn't even phase me. 10 times better then having a laptop on the couch.

Get this:
So I went to BB yesterday morning; I heard they were going to get some in. Manager says that their truck arrives late afternoon, they unload in evening, come back tomorrow morning.

So this morning I show up and there's a big crowd. Some folks walk right in, some don't. What's the deal? BB decided to hand out vouchers at 3-freaking-AM and if you don't have a voucher then you don't get a shot at one until 11 am. How would someone know about the voucher thing? Manager: "I guess either they saw it driving by or heard from an employee."

F___ Best Buy. I disliked that place before and now I despise it.

Screw that. It's not worth getting there at 3 AM for a potentially dying product.

I chatted with amazon chat for 5 minutes about my experience with onSale and amazon... They gave me $15... at least I got something out of this HP Frenzy :)

I received mine yesterday from BB online, the HP touchpad is a lot better than what I was expecting. Just goes to show you how little online reviews will tell you about a great product... of course the $99 price tag did help a lot too.

I received mine yesterday from BB online, the HP touchpad is a lot better than what I was expecting. Just goes to show you how little online reviews will tell you about a great product... of course the $99 price tag did help a lot too.

Indeed. I would probably have no problem dropping $250 on this if it were brand new to be honest. Should of been the price from the get go...

People are saying the pricepoint of $99 is the magic number...but even at $200 - $275 they're flying out of ebay.

I threw my 32GB up in the For Sale section, lol at the PMs, people need to take a Econ 101 class.

I dont mind keeping it if it doesnt sell so either way win-win for me :)

I threw my 32GB up in the For Sale section, lol at the PMs, people need to take a Econ 101 class.

It's a bit of game theory, in a way. If no one bought the 2nd hand Touchpads, everyone would benefit when the sellers would have to drop prices. But of course, some people won't, and thus everyone will suffer.

And for the douchebags posting them up at $600-$900 for the 16GB...no comment.

at 250-300 it's still a great value compare to other tablets out there, personally i wouldnt buy it and just wait for HP, from datavision's fb, HP is building another batch to be released to all vendors

it's so hype right now because a lot of people are bummed that they missed out on the deal which drives their obsession on this product. I believe after all the units are being shipped out things will settle down and drive the price of this touchpad to be under 200, not at 99 but not at 300+ like right now.

speaking of which i can't believe i spent 800 on a ps3 during launch years ago either :)

Mine can if I swap in my SSD from my desktop :D.

Is anyone having trouble updating to 3.0.2 for WebOS? The update downloads for 5 seconds then stops then I have to it download again. I did this for 30 minutes last night as I wanted to try homebrew/overclock stuff. It said I updated, but upon looking at the OS version it is still 3.0.0 and still has the download problem :(.

I was having a terrible time with the 3.0.2 update and looked for an alternative method. You can update using WebOS doctor. Remember to run the backup feature prior to the "FULL ERASE" so you don't lose all of your accounts and settings like I did. I believe doing so will prevent that.

The tutorial and process for the update and other tweaks can be found here:
http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touchpad/293028-new-touchpad-heres-your-get-started-guide.html

shopping.google.com is only showing inflated prices of ebay listed touchpads. oh well

http://www.economist.com/blogs/babbage/2011/08/tablet-computers said:
More than anything else, the announcement showed that the firm [HP] had finally seen the light about the tablet market—namely, that there is no such thing.

What exists instead is a rip-roaring market for iPads. Tablets based on Google’s Android, Hewlett-Packard’s webOS, Microsoft’s Windows, and Research In Motion’s BlackBerry operating systems—have failed dismally to capture consumers’ hearts and minds the way Apple has with its iconic iPad.

Interesting take on this.

^Market oversaturation. Too many tablets in a market too small with a well entrenched competitor. Look at the impact the iPod has had on the MP3 player market, yes there are alternatives, some even better and cheaper, but years after its debut, people know and love iPods and will pay for it. Goodwill is a powerful tool that Apple cashes in on and it pisses people off.

EDIT: im hoping for a tablet with similar capabilities as a full fledged laptop, and i think Windows 8 will make that push towards a laptop replacement tablet.

Depends. People where buying these at $99 and are trying to get double the price or more on this Touchpads. If the ebay, forums, and craigslist have a bunch of these and people aren't biting at the higher prices then these will fall.

I was having a terrible time with the 3.0.2 update and looked for an alternative method. You can update using WebOS doctor. Remember to run the backup feature prior to the "FULL ERASE" so you don't lose all of your accounts and settings like I did. I believe doing so will prevent that.

The tutorial and process for the update and other tweaks can be found here:
http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touchpad/293028-new-touchpad-heres-your-get-started-guide.html

I am at the 15 minute install part now. Damn thing has been sitting for 1 1/2 hours and still has not done anything. As far as I can tell there is not any button I have to hit to proceed >.>.

Well, my order from B&N got cancelled, nobody local has them, and so I tried ordering from Erwin Computers. They put a reservation on the full amount on the 22nd and now the hold is gone so I'm assuming they have cancelled my order and simply haven't bothered emailing me to tell me.

No Touchpad for me looks like, so tally up another person that tried and failed to get one.

Back