HP Touchpad 16GB $99, 32GB $149, Active for .edu

if android can be ported onto this, this would be the hottest deal for a tablet ever

but really, all i need a tablet for is to surf the web, read some text, watch video, and login to remote server via vnc.

The touchpad can do all that competently, right?

at 130 bucks, the 32gb is worth it to me.... it would mostly be used as a coffee table media consumption device....

i'm slowly working my way through the check out process, i'm guessing the server is getting hammered...

Agreed on the 32GB. I missed out on the 16GB and was initially disappointed, but after OS and some apps, that's not a lot of space for actual music/video files, and the Touchpad doesn't have an SD slot or any other way to expand it's storage. An extra $30 for more than double the usable storage (since part of those first 16GB are going to OS).

Lack of apps isn't a big deal to me. I mostly just want something to email, surf, and play videos on. This does flash right?

I've been trying to get in on this deal for the past hour. I'm giving up (with hp.com).

Three different browsers on three different computers, nothing works for me to show the discounted price.

Would be a heluva media player for the car...

PC Richard and Sons still has the 32 GB in stock, ordering now.

I cannot get it to work on the HP site.

The slickdeals thread seems to indicate that the coupons are no longer being accepted (save15HP and save30HP for the 16gb and 32gb models, respectively).

Is this true?

If so, I guess I'd rather just get a 2nd-hand Nook Color later...with the microSD and Android.

With the $30 off, I'd take the chance on the 32GB model (since the 16GB model is OOS).

both are showing oos now, couldnt get it to work for the 32gb model. sad panda.

finally got it to work on the 32gb by switching to IE, and its showing oos. fml

I am going to stay up for the next couple hours and see if anyone else PMs at 1200PST. All for a device I will most likely rarely use. There is still hope for us.

I got my order in for a 32GB about an hour and a half ago using the $15 coupon, but I've yet to get an e-mail confirmation... *worries*

Thanks, I used a near dormant EPP account plus the coupon. So in for 1 32GB Touchpad, hope it ships.

It would have been nice to pawn on eBay, but I can't think what I would have actually used it for. Have lovely touchscreen laptop with real processor that can actually do stuff incoming.

I don't know if I would bother...HP did kill all further development of WebOS and are no longer manufacturing any WebOS devices like the Touchpad and Pre's.

For $99 though, it might be alright as long as you are willing to live with a dead end product that won't receive any updates.

I think most people are banking on the idea that someone will come out with a way to put android on these... but if not its still a decent deal for web/email/video tablet.

Still doesn't change the fact that a few weeks ago, people didn't give two shits about the touchpad. Now there's a thread on slickdeals that has more views than any other thread created, EVER, in less than a few hours no less. Price these things right, and take a 60 or 70% cut of app sales. Might sound shitty for devs, but what's better, 70% on a 20 million install base or 30% on a 100+ million install base.

Then again, people who buy the cheap stuff are less likely to pay for and buy apps, as shown countless times by android devs. Maybe put some ads in the OS or something.

What's the chance that they may somehow port a real OS (something with greater acceptance, like Linux or Android) to this thing. It uses the same hardware as anything else, so it could happen. I just don't have much use for this thing with a random OS like WebOS.

For $99 though, it might be alright as long as you are willing to live with a dead end product that won't receive any updates.

Tablets are media consumption devices, even discontinued the touchpad is a great consumption device

What's the chance that they may somehow port a real OS (something with greater acceptance, like Linux or Android) to this thing. It uses the same hardware as anything else, so it could happen. I just don't have much use for this thing with a random OS like WebOS.

WebOS is a great operating system, very user friendly, too bad it's getting killed off.

I think HP just had the most successful fire sale in history considering the size and activity on the SD thread.

webOS isn't being killed, and HP has already said as much since yesterday. Development on it will continue and it sounds like they're trying to find a suitor to buy it or license it.

HP is just throwing in the towel on the hardware side of it all.

Someone ported Android to the Pre, so it'll happen. Just wait until Honeycomb's source is released and then give it a week or so :p

Atleast best buy knows what to do with that pile of touchpads lol

Hah, I think those are pretty much the ones we've been ordering from HP. BestBuy shipped all theirs back last night based on multiple reports from BB employees. For buying B&M tomorrow morning, Office Depot is looking like a good bet. They are already advertising the pricers on banners on their website, but can't get the deal online there at least yet.

HP's hardware is steaming pile of peanut-riddled feces. So what if there is a rumored port of Android?
Your better off buying a 1st gen iPad off CL...

Paid full price on Office Depot website for a 32gb but will call them tomorrow for the price adjustment. They have a banner across the main page with the discounted prices. So I guess we will see if I get it or not. Not a big deal. I have two iPad 2's but would be great for my kid to watch her movies and shows in the car.

Paid full price on Office Depot website for a 32gb but will call them tomorrow for the price adjustment. They have a banner across the main page with the discounted prices. So I guess we will see if I get it or not. Not a big deal. I have two iPad 2's but would be great for my kid to watch her movies and shows in the car.

you mean the one for laptop+mouse+printer+backpack? not enough to make me think they'll have a touchpad for $100/150. has anyone actually seen a price listed on anyones ad for tomorrow, B&M or online?

HP's hardware is steaming pile of peanut-riddled feces. So what if there is a rumored port of Android?
Your better off buying a 1st gen iPad off CL...

H8'rs gonna h8
People fighting over a 100$ tablet does not mean they want to pay 500-700$ for an apple tablet.. The apps ARE NOT THAT IMPORTANT.. a 100$ 10" tablet is a "Fuck Off" device.. meaning, Ill use it to waste time and likely do nothing productive, browse a lot of [H].. And I wont feel bad about it as I only paid 100$.

Anyone know if the Cover/ usb Keyboard cases on ebay will work with these?

can't believe this. May be this will be the best selling webOS product now unbelievable. I am happy in a way that we will see more apps if we have a few million of these puppies out. May be this is their plan overall lol

you mean the one for laptop+mouse+printer+backpack? not enough to make me think they'll have a touchpad for $100/150. has anyone actually seen a price listed on anyones ad for tomorrow, B&M or online?

No. They have a banner on their site that says HP Touchpad new low price. $119 for 16gb that is sold-out and $149.00 for the 32gb.

can't believe this. May be this will be the best selling webOS product now unbelievable. I am happy in a way that we will see more apps if we have a few million of these puppies out. May be this is their plan overall lol

yeah.. its win win for HP..
They may lose out on some money from the hardware, but virtually selling out of TONS of backstock overnight will help them greatly.. I dont really care much for apps, all I really need is Chrome and a video player and im all set, but devs will finally start making apps since there will be a much larger audience..

well, until Android gets ported to it :D

Back