HP Touchpad 16GB $99, 32GB $149, Active for .edu

I got my third one yesterday... but sold it at cost to a co-worker... same thing with my second one.. man I guess I am either a nice person or a sucker :(

I got my third one yesterday... but sold it at cost to a co-worker... same thing with my second one.. man I guess I am either a nice person or a sucker :(

Nah, Just means your not a douche..

In round one I recieved 2 which I kept one and packaged one up for the wife for our anniversary.. While I wanted a bunch of 16gb ones to give out for xmas, I got one more 32gb one during the second chance sale (Which I only found here and was never notified by onsale).

Ended up selling it to a Coworker at cost with a case I previously bought 4 of..

Nah, Just means your not a douche..

In round one I recieved 2 which I kept one and packaged one up for the wife for our anniversary.. While I wanted a bunch of 16gb ones to give out for xmas, I got one more 32gb one during the second chance sale (Which I only found here and was never notified by onsale).

Ended up selling it to a Coworker at cost with a case I previously bought 4 of..
Exactly. My brother and I split the cost and gave one to my dad then I sold another at cost to my friend who is giving it to his dad. I could have made money off of them but greedy people made this experience horrible and I don't feel like contributing to it for a quick buck.

don't forget to calculate labor when you figure costs because some people spent weeks or even a full month tracking one down. I didn't sell the one I got and don't plan on it for a long time but I'm not going to begrudge someone selling one for a reasonable amount over literal cost (not to mention people like me who bought it from a place like tiger direct that would only sell it with a worthless bundle so I ended up paying about $210 for a 32gb).

Eh...I sold my 32GB for $210 shipped with a case. Made like $20 to cover my cost of tracking one down and someone got a good deal. Probably should have waited to see what Android looks like on it, but I wasn't using it.

Well so much for my TouchPad... it's the girlfriends now and I doubt I will ever see it again except when there is a problem:). Once she got ahold of it, it was all over but the shoutin'.

Well so much for my TouchPad... it's the girlfriends now and I doubt I will ever see it again except when there is a problem:). Once she got ahold of it, it was all over but the shoutin'.

That precisely why I didnt bring mine home until I had one for the wifey
:D

Now she wants Android after seeing mine..
Brings a tear of joy to my eye.

i would happy to let my wife take ownership if it means i can get the damn thing already. it will be two month today i think. i called yesterday and all i say was i wanted to check on my order status (did not mention it was a touchpad) after about 30 seconds, the rep said, by next week. and hung up. did not even ask if there was anything else 9which i have nothing else to ask) i am not upset or anything. i mean, he probably answers like 100 or more of these an hour i bet

Eh...I sold my 32GB for $210 shipped with a case. Made like $20 to cover my cost of tracking one down and someone got a good deal. Probably should have waited to see what Android looks like on it, but I wasn't using it.

I almost made that mistake... so glad I waited. Android is a Godsend on this!!

Been using Alpha 2.1 for two days and it has been working great. A bit off topic, but what is the difference between Splashtop and Splashtop HD besides being able to use native res?

Finally got mine, had a horrible time installing the clearfreak screen protector.

Lost patience and just crumpled the damned thing. The film wouldn't line up correctly to my taste and i just got pissed. LOL gotta learn to be patient. oh well

Also which droid OS should I give a shot, I don't want to update (webOS) the touchpad yet. Right now its just charging.
I'm looking for a stable firmware with good battery life and maybe an overclocker to 1.5ghz.

Last edited:
Also which droid OS should I give a shot, I don't want to update (webOS) the touchpad yet. Right now its just charging.
I'm looking for a stable firmware with good battery life and maybe an overclocker to 1.5ghz.

You only have 1 option

Battery life is equal to and possibly better than WebOS

Can OC to 1.9 if you want very easily

Its mostly stable.. Get the occasional app crash but nothing major so far.. Only thing that flat out doesnt work is camera.. The install does not do anything to your Current WebOS.. There is no reason not to flash Android.

Finally got mine, had a horrible time installing the clearfreak screen protector.

Lost patience and just crumpled the damned thing. The film wouldn't line up correctly to my taste and i just got pissed. LOL gotta learn to be patient. oh well

update webOS before you do anything. I'm not sure why you wouldn't want to, it fixes the apparent issues like the slow browser. 3.04 is night and day difference to 3.02 in my opinion.

After you update, then put cm7 alpha 2.1 on there. if you do it the other way around, you'll lose your dual boot capability and have to reflash moboot again anyway.

but there's no way battery life is as good in cm7 alpha as webOS. the team hasn't even gotten all of the power functions completed yet.

but there's no way battery life is as good in cm7 alpha as webOS. the team hasn't even gotten all of the power functions completed yet.

My battery calibration widget says otherwise..
Yesterday I did a full 100% charge and it took me 11 hours or normal use to burn it down to 3%.. Almost 2 full extra hours over WebOS, screen at full brightness.. Watched a movie, listened to music, browsed the web, and updated a bunch of programs.

If I could bring myself to not touch it for a few days I could give you a better estimate on how long itll stay on idle, but 2 1/2 days was the last I saw which it was only down to 33%

My battery calibration widget says otherwise..
Yesterday I did a full 100% charge and it took me 11 hours or normal use to burn it down to 3%.. Almost 2 full extra hours over WebOS, screen at full brightness.. Watched a movie, listened to music, browsed the web, and updated a bunch of programs.

If I could bring myself to not touch it for a few days I could give you a better estimate on how long itll stay on idle, but 2 1/2 days was the last I saw which it was only down to 33%
well given that alpha 2.1 has only been out for 2 1/2 days (and the first alpha a week before that) your widget isn't going to be particularly accurate...

read the change log:
Changelog:
(AKA things we hope we fixed)

* Plugging headphones in should now shut off speaker volume
* Battery drain issues have been (partially) addressed
* More apps now available in market (thanks to Flemmard)
* Temporarily removed suspect fsck_msdos to fix random folder deletion on media/sdcard. <-- perfect example of importance of reading change logs
* At least one type of "sleep of death" (TP won't wake up) has been fixed
* Wifi should no longer hang in sleep
* Vibrator no longer disappears
* Touchscreen no longer unresponsive after sleep
* cifs support added
* Touchstone should now charge better
* fixed broken links resulting from first version of installer (mount now works)
* pptp vpn now works
* OpenVPN TUN support added
* USB mounting in vold added
* Misc. fixes to ACME Installer (more graceful exits, nonstandard LVM media location handling, etc.)
* fixes to surfaceflinger to improve performance
* upstream cm7 changes added

Changelog:
(AKA things we hope we fixed)

* Plugging headphones in should now shut off speaker volume
* Battery drain issues have been (partially) addressed
* More apps now available in market (thanks to Flemmard)
* Temporarily removed suspect fsck_msdos to fix random folder deletion on media/sdcard. <-- perfect example of importance of reading change logs
* At least one type of "sleep of death" (TP won't wake up) has been fixed
* Wifi should no longer hang in sleep
* Vibrator no longer disappears
* Touchscreen no longer unresponsive after sleep
* cifs support added
* Touchstone should now charge better
* fixed broken links resulting from first version of installer (mount now works)
* pptp vpn now works
* OpenVPN TUN support added
* USB mounting in vold added
* Misc. fixes to ACME Installer (more graceful exits, nonstandard LVM media location handling, etc.)
* fixes to surfaceflinger to improve performance
* upstream cm7 changes added

man i wish i could buy these guys a case of beer or at least give them a firm handshake. :) this is really awesome work. do they have a place where you can donate a couple bucks to them? i think we should all try to support selfless, hard-working developers like the CM7 team if we can.

man i wish i could buy these guys a case of beer or at least give them a firm handshake. :) this is really awesome work. do they have a place where you can donate a couple bucks to them? i think we should all try to support selfless, hard-working developers like the CM7 team if we can.
HOW CAN I DONATE TO THIS PROJECT?
To be clear, the key developers of CyanogenMod for TouchPad are not interested in monetary donations for this effort. This is a project motivated by the challenge and satisfaction of working on the port itself, not by financial reward. The developers have previously announced that any "bounty" won for completing this port to TouchPad will be donated to charity.

That said, there are some who have insisted on making some kind of donation to express their support and gratitude. It should therefore be noted that the official CyanogenMod Web site does have a "donation" area in the bottom right-hand corner of the front page.

http://www.cyanogenmod.com/

Also, the CM for TP developers recommend you learn about the Electronic Frontier Foundation ( http://www.eff.org ), which is an organization fighting to preserve and protect the legal rights of the common citizen in this rapidly changing digital age. As large companies and governments try to limit or narrow your rights, the EFF is on the front lines defending the public interest. A contribution to the EFF is also tax-deductible for United States citizens. As supporters, the developers invite you to visit the EFF web site and learn more about their activities and goals.

http://www.eff.org
http://rootzwiki.com/showthread.php?4011-RELEASE-ALPHA-Discussion-CyanogenMod-team-Touchpad-port

^ damn must be some high paid engineers to be able to use all donations for charity.

I'm not sure, but I'm guessing that for the amount of work they are doing, something has to violate a license if they receive money for it. So they probably have no choice but to refuse money as a direct payment.

im trying to follow the instructions for installing android posted on page 119, but im at the step where it says "Start the webOS emulator" and not sure what to do. i opened virtualbox, but theres no "webOS" option if i try to add new. am i supposed to go "Other" and type in webOS or what?

what do you mean you're trying to follow instructions on page 119?
I don't recognize any of what you described and I also looked at page 119 here (assuming we have page views set up the same -- should give us the post number)

i have my setup default i think. its post 2370. i tried to verify like they say in the command prompt and it failed so i guess i'll try uninstalling and starting over.

so i clicked the first link to get the novacom software, and didnt see a link to download novacom and then i guess i started following the pc instructions on that page. am i supposed to do all that sdk stuff or is that link supposed to go somewhere else?

ah I see. those instructions can become confusing, which is why the team asked that all links be only to their forum topic. try the original thread first, that stuff those guys are talking about in the comments section isn't necessary for installing cm7, here you go:

http://rootzwiki.com/showthread.php?4011-RELEASE-ALPHA-Discussion-CyanogenMod-team-Touchpad-port

they never say where to get novacom. theres a url in the readme but its dead. i have watched the youtube video on installation, but i dont know how to get my computer to where he has it at the start of the video.

they never say where to get novacom. theres a url in the readme but its dead. i have watched the youtube video on installation, but i dont know how to get my computer to where he has it at the start of the video.

From the readme:
Windows: https://developer.palm.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&layout=page&id=1661

You want to download the SDK (#4 on the site) then install it. You only need to install a portion of it. There is also a universal novacom installer (http://code.google.com/p/universal-novacom-installer/downloads/list) but I didn't use it so I am not sure how it works.

Here is a helpful and up-to-date guide on installing CM7 that may explain the steps better:
http://www.everythingabouttablets.n...stall-android-cyanogenmod-on-the-hp-touchpad/

Oh, and for the cmd input: I just copied novacom.exe and ACME installer to my desktop. This way I just opened the command prompt, cd desktop, then entered the "novacom boot mem:// < ACMEInstaller" bit.

do i need java? i cant install it on my laptop for some idiotic reason, and some sites like the first one you linked say you need it, but the official site says you dont.

do i need java? i cant install it on my laptop for some idiotic reason, and some sites like the first one you linked say you need it, but the official site says you dont.

Give it a try without java and see what happens. I don't recall needing it.

Give it a try without java and see what happens. I don't recall needing it.

it says its not a valid windows installer package. i need to try this on another computer i think. this laptop is retarded.

i also got a shipping notice on Saturday. however, at this time the ups tracking number does not display any data. it says a label has been created, but it has not arrived at a facility yet.
lastly, can anyone tell me where these seem to ship from? or is it all of the country.

thanks

i also got a shipping notice on Saturday. however, at this time the ups tracking number does not display any data. it says a label has been created, but it has not arrived at a facility yet.
lastly, can anyone tell me where these seem to ship from? or is it all of the country.

thanks

mine were shipped via FedEx and out of El Paso, TX.

Llama[Style];1037924399 said:
mine were shipped via FedEx and out of El Paso, TX.

did it take about 3 days? i think ups will update today, since they created a ups label on saturday, (or if using the UPS shipping software, maybe closed the Billing later Friday night,) i dont think it was picked up yet. if it comes from texas, then they are two hrs behind me i think. so i expect some updates as early as 11am, maybe hopefully PLEASE

did it take about 3 days? i think ups will update today, since they created a ups label on saturday, (or if using the UPS shipping software, maybe closed the Billing later Friday night,) i dont think it was picked up yet. if it comes from texas, then they are two hrs behind me i think. so i expect some updates as early as 11am, maybe hopefully PLEASE

it takes whatever you signed up for. I actually just received one of them. I had one of them overnight shipping and the other 3 day shipping. :eek: As I was walking in the door this morning, the FedEx guy was walking out and I asked him who he was delivering for and it was for me. :D So I have one of them on hand, the other was bought out of error, but I didn't cancel since i know a few people that want one that couldn't get one. Not reselling for profit, but helping out some friends.

If my mind serves me correct their was Overnight, 2-day and free ground [usually 3-5 days] available.

Just got my shipping info. Any one have any good links/resources for tweaking this thing? Don't reall want to comb through this 2000+ post thread.

ups.com updated. on time, expected delivery at close of buisess wednesday. about fricken time. what sucks is ups delivers arounf 5:30pm in out neighborhood. :(

Wow, they gave me next day shipping (if you don't count the 2+ months of waiting...:() Shipped Fedex today, estimated delivery Tuesday the 25th, I picked standard shipping when I ordered? Its just a state away ATM, Joy!

Back