hp to sell touchpads on ebay (December 11th.)

I was able to score a 32GB (16s were sold out) at around 6:25pm CST - was a matter of going thru ebay.ca and just keep clicking.

The out the door price after tax was 180 delivered - which honestly is about 50 more than I wanted to spend. I have no problem with a 20 dollar shipping charge as long as they actually use that 20 dollars to send it to me faster than parcel post. Send it UPS 2nd or 3rd day and I'll be happy with that.

It worked out great that the 16s sold out and I had to get a 32, I don't need one of these by any stretch but I fully plan on experimenting with android and CM7 on this thing. Initial research says the best and safest method is to dual boot them -- CM7 taking up about 2GB of space itself I was told.

I got thru paypal great -- I have a transaction ID and checked my bank they did indeed charge my account. Hope it comes in the next few days.

People are hilarious though -- all butthurt they were not able to get one. Guess what people, there were only about 5000 total refurbs it seems, and everyone is mad at ebay when in fact ebay was probably the smartest place to host a firesale like this. HP's site got hammerd and straight up crashed, ebay probably has much better capasity to be able to handle 10s of thousands of hits every minute.

I read a few comments on ebay about the losers who were all sad. Deal with it, obviously this is a great deal, 500 dollars worth of hardware alone for 149? Of course there is going to be huge demand. I think the funniest ones were the people bitching "all i wanted to do was by my little johnny boy son one of these for xmas so he could be a happy kid" - fuck people like this. If you honestly thing buying your kid a gadget is going to make them love you then you are a pretty terrible parent. The same people that are so desperate to buy one now, are the same people that will scoff and NOT buy one for 50 dollars more from the massive 3rd party sellers hocking the units they were able to snag.

I hate people who think a deal should specifically cater and apply to them. It's first come first serve, and also a better chance goes to those that are resourceful enough to hit ebay.ca or the UK or Canada ebays. Ebay nor HP as a company do not owe you a damn thing. And it makes me sick the attitude most people have today that if they don't win or get what they want, they feel the need to complain until someone takes pity on them.

If little johnny gives you any lip for not getting a used touchpad for christmas kick him square in the ass for me.

I don't think $19.00 shipped is that unreasonable. No it will not being going Next Day Air or even 2nd Day Air. It will be shipped the most economical ground.
I don't know if it was all the states but HP was also charging tax here in Calif. which added to the total cost.

Ironically I got the 32GB version from someone here on HardForum for $160.00 shipped which was quite a surprise a couple weeks ago. So deals can be made if you have patience.

Looked around 6:45, saw 3 32GB's for $149.99 + shipping. I didn't bite. I didn't want a 32GB :/ plus I like my blackberry playbook.

yeah that's kind of a stink to see such a huge company like HP pulling the old "charge out the ass for shipping to make up the price" trick.

For 20 dollars they damn well should (but I know they wont) send it next day air. I remember when I ordered my AT&T modem, they sent it to me next day air (even thought I didn't request it) for about 13 dollars shipping.

I'm sure such a large company like HP has deals with UPS or fedex - it's not unreasonable to expect a 20 dollar shipping charge to ACTUALLY be used for shipping.

Either way -- for 180 to my door not a big deal, even if I use it for 6 months and sell it for 150 dollars I'm still doing pretty damn good. To be Honest this is probably going to be the toy I take to work to screw around on and the thing I kill time with on the toilet when taking care of business.

yeah that's kind of a stink to see such a huge company like HP pulling the old "charge out the ass for shipping to make up the price" trick.

For 20 dollars they damn well should (but I know they wont) send it next day air. I remember when I ordered my AT&T modem, they sent it to me next day air (even thought I didn't request it) for about 13 dollars shipping.

I'm sure such a large company like HP has deals with UPS or fedex - it's not unreasonable to expect a 20 dollar shipping charge to ACTUALLY be used for shipping.

Either way -- for 180 to my door not a big deal, even if I use it for 6 months and sell it for 150 dollars I'm still doing pretty damn good. To be Honest this is probably going to be the toy I take to work to screw around on and the thing I kill time with on the toilet when taking care of business.

I bought my u2711 from a reseller who has close ties with associates at Dell. He told me they are so generous with their free 2nd day delivery via Fedex through warranty because they pay only ten cents per package.

meh. I got mine but it took an hour. The sale finally actually went through at 5pm my time. I kept getting it onto the cart and all the way to PayPal payment and it would tell me the item was no longer for sale. I got stuck with the 32 but for less than 200 I don't think it was a bad deal. I mean I dotn think there's anything out there for the same price that beats it.

I think that the people who paid $20 for shipping are going to get ground service, as faster shipping options were offered at considerably more money.

Although I tried for an hour to buy one, I could not get through checkout.
I was hoping to use one for viewing powerpoints in class since I am legally blind.
I guess I will just wait for the selloff of the current Tegra 2 based tablets, caused by the release of Tegra 3 based tablets in the very near future.

Picked up an Iconia 16GB for $225, would've preferred a $99 Touchpad but can't really complain

So what was the verdict from last night? I missed it due to an emergency. Did their servers meltdown, have issues, how many were sold, how long did it take?

So what was the verdict from last night? I missed it due to an emergency. Did their servers meltdown, have issues, how many were sold, how long did it take?

I'm assuming you couldn't figure out what happened by the 4 pages of posts that happened before you posted? Cliff's Notes: Everything happened exactly how people assumed it would.

I didn't get one but if anyone has an extra 16gb tablet they are willing to let go for $150-$160 shipped i'm all ears...errr pm's?

Took me about 45 minutes and I started the moment the prices changed. I opened a new tab in each category. All but one timed out. The one that didn't went through very slowly. Each step taking 5-7 minutes. It's pretty much exactly what I expected. Luck and patience.

No idea how many were sold as I wasn't paying any attention to that part. The consensus in the thread seemed to be around 10k total between one entry for the 16 and three for the 32.

It's not the end of the world folks. Amazon & B&N's tablet offerings are just as cheap, if not a bit better.

I got a tracking notice without a tracking number for ups. I guess well see.

It's not the end of the world folks. Amazon & B&N's tablet offerings are just as cheap, if not a bit better.

This.. Although I wanted to score a touchpad for 99 bucks I am not bitter that I didnt (atleast not untill someone try's to sell me a refurb 16gb TP for 200). So I will isntead get a Fire or a Nook Tablet..

We apologize for the inconvenience. All orders placed during the sale with a cell phone, or any other mobile device was canceled and the funds were reversed. eBay did not allow those orders to process in the system. Your refund was entered and you should see the funds within 24-48 hours.

Once again we apologize.

My bet is no next day shipping. That they only did that to recoop ebay fees.

Good luck to 'em. I just sold an item on Ebay for the first time in years.
Same old listing fees and final value fees... AND the paypal fees... AND now they charge a final value fee on the shipping charges too. WTF?? So, I lost money by charging the buyer the actual shipping amount.

I HATE EBAY.

yeah ebay is gay but its a last resort when you need to get cash...ebay used to be awesome

Comparing the tablets and such, I didn't even want this... honestly I don't understand how ppl can not understand the value of an IPS screen on the Kindle Fire's when they buy these tablets.. once you go IPS, you don't go back.. and I hope Fire goes on sale this x-mas, cuz I want one :) .. its eInk & IPS screen, which = the awesome... and I would think IPS would matter the most for tablets b/c of the odd angles you're likely to use them with, the documents you want to read, or the photos you want to view... but to each their own..

Comparing the tablets and such, I didn't even want this... honestly I don't understand how ppl can not understand the value of an IPS screen on the Kindle Fire's when they buy these tablets.. once you go IPS, you don't go back.. and I hope Fire goes on sale this x-mas, cuz I want one :) .. its eInk & IPS screen, which = the awesome... and I would think IPS would matter the most for tablets b/c of the odd angles you're likely to use them with, the documents you want to read, or the photos you want to view... but to each their own..

The TouchPad has an IPS screen. And since when does the Fire have both e-ink and IPS or am I misunderstanding you?

I returned my Fire last week. Used it for a few weeks and just couldn't get past the lag in the UI. Don't get me wrong, it's a great device for the price but after using it for a few hours I just didn't like the response on it at all.

I really just wanted a stopgap tablet for a year or so until the tech matures a bit more (I REALLY want a 7" iPad honestly). The Fire wasn't going to be it. Hoping this one is and if not, it'll go up for sale here for what I paid for it.

Last edited:
Well I got my tracking info for my 32GB model today -- UPS ground, and it seems as if I should have it by Wednesday. (which is awesome - I get to play with it a bit before I gotta go back to work Thurs)

Basic ground shipping -- I'm in DFW, TX (not too far away from their major center in Houston) so 2 days is about right for transit.

My buddy who got in on the first firesale said that it took almost 2 months for his touchpad to arrive. So go figure.

It was a pain online a bit - but I got through eventually, 20 dollars shipping is a bit of a sting when you know it's only going to cost them a few dollars to send it. I'm going to blame ebay for this one due to their fee structure.

Random tangent - I remember being one of the first people on ebay, it literally was the wild west. No credit card verification, no such thing as paypal, fees were easy and direct. Let me put it this way, ebay was SO new that you were not required to register any sort of payment with them to start doing business. You could rack up a modest set of fees and walk away scott free. (yes I was a stupid 14 year old)

And even if I get bored with my touchpad - I can easily sell this 32GB model for 200 dollars and recoup all my money plus a little extra. I'm going to have some fun though modding it with Cyanogen, watching movies, in bed, and surfing the web whilst taking a dump :)

And even if I get bored with my touchpad - I can easily sell this 32GB model for 200 dollars and recoup all my money plus a little extra. I'm going to have some fun though modding it with Cyanogen, watching movies, in bed, and surfing the web whilst taking a dump :)

Same, 60% of the time I use it on the shitter for reading/watching a movie/games. Other than that it just collects dust. I ended up with an extra after OnSale gave me a second chance and sold that one for $350 so I technically got mine for free.

I'm assuming you couldn't figure out what happened by the 4 pages of posts that happened before you posted? Cliff's Notes: Everything happened exactly how people assumed it would.

Excuse me for doing the typical [H]'er thing and not looking back at "300 pages" of P&M'ing... :rolleyes: I totally missed out on *everything* that happened yesterday evening and a quick, nice, no sand-in-your-va-jay-jay answer would have been sufficient. :D Guess I won't ask again LOL.

Hope everyone that got one, two, ten are happy!

It was a mess. Items said they were sold out/listing not available/etc on ebay. Once in a while I would get through to add it to cart, get to paypal, and then item unavailable. People started suggesting going through the .ca or .uk servers. Tried, and ended up with the same luck. Finally, figured out that if you kept refreshing the page, you'd end up getting one to paypal, at which point I checked out using bank account rather than CC, and got one. This was about 45 minutes in.

Lots of people got cancelled, people bought early and paid full price, tons of laughable crap. In the end I dropped more than I wanted to (had to pay state sales tax, 10%) and picked up a 32gb rather than 16gb, $55 more after tax than the 16gb, paid $186 shipped (w/o tax would have been $168). Still, I'm betting this tablet is going to have AWESOME open source dev. and I've been loving CM7 on my optimus V. This thing OCs like a beast as well, with a good governor, we'll be able to run ~1.7ghz on the high end, and ~400 on the low to save battery.

For me, I was going to hold out on a tablet until prices came way down, missed out on the tegra 2 deals for $200 at newegg and amazon, and this seemed right.

Again, for me, I'm assuming I won't be running the stock OS, but rather a dual boot.

I am tempted to check out the squaretrade warranty.

Got 2 of the 16gb models, completed my order about 4 minutes before they sold out using .ca.

Apparently I paid 19 bucks for 3lbs to be shipped UPS ground. :-( That means if I dotn like it and wanna get my money back Ill have to ask for close to 200. Ill look like one of the shitballs trying to flip em.

I just went back and looked at the auction. The auction os for a 32gb but the product details say 16gb.

LOL Wouldnt it be funny if they sold 2200 or whatever 16gbs as 32s. I wanted the 16...

Apparently I paid 19 bucks for 3lbs to be shipped UPS ground. :-( That means if I dotn like it and wanna get my money back Ill have to ask for close to 200. Ill look like one of the shitballs trying to flip em.

im assuming you are referring to the 32GB model?

asking 200 dollars for a 32GB tablet is NOT unreasonable. If anyone were to bitch at you for trying to flip them they obviously don't understand simple economics. 200 dollars for a 32GB tablet is still an incredible deal no matter how you cut it.

A quick ebay search shows that all 32GB models are going for 250-300 dollars, so you are pretty much guaranteed to make money on the deal no matter how you cut it.

Back