HP to lay off up to 30,000 employees?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone catch this announcement?

"Hewlett-Packard to Cut About 10 Percent of Work Force" found on New York Times

Am I the only one who's not surprised? Ever had a HP laptop die on you because the GPU overheated and popped out it's socket? Opening up the laptop will reveal a rubber pad over the GPU instead of something that will transfer the heat. They all seem to die right after the warranty expires....

Your thoughts and experiences?

Good link, was wondering though about individuals' problematic experience with their products. That was the first thing I thought of once I saw this news. TOO MANY PROBLEMS and POOR ENGINEERING

Thermal pads are not exclusive to HP. MANY companies use them. The part that sucks is where many companies try to cut costs, which is something that happens to MANY companies as well. Seeing 30,000 jobs being cut is pretty devastating even if it's from "poor engineering".

In my 6 years of commercial computer repair experience I've only seen it be a problem in the HP laptops. I've also seen $900 HP desktops with cheap @^$ parts in them not worth $90 dollars.

I agree t's devastating to the families of those who are losing the jobs. It's going to hurt the economy as well.

But I believe it's more due to their not having high enough standards to put out a quality product, therefor having too many support issues and RMA's, and then ultimately too many bad reviews on their consumer products that is leaving them no choice.

It'd be interesting to see the profits for the last 10 years, I would bet it's been declining.

This is an interesting first post for someone that seems to be selling a service.

There's more to life than selling a service. (off topic>>> I always try to help educate as much as I can, sometimes to my demise. I end up talking to much, and have even been accused of trying to confuse someone while I was explaining their situation **that only happened once though, and they didn't speak english very well). :)

My last two work laptops have been HP and they've been rock solid. I repair a lot of computers and it's mostly Dell and Acer that I see with issues. I don't think any one company is worse than the others, they just have bad models sometimes.

I've sworn off HP several times and still end up with that crap in my house, lol. I have a broken HP laptop I use for an HTPC, the screen is busted. Man that thing gets hot doing steam streaming.

I would love to see the salary of Fiorina... Before and after layoffs.. I feel like if she cut her salary she could easily support those employees.

I've sworn off HP several times and still end up with that crap in my house, lol. I have a broken HP laptop I use for an HTPC, the screen is busted. Man that thing gets hot doing steam streaming.

I've sworn them off as well. Whenever I'm asked what the best laptop is, I always say their pretty much the same, but stay away from HP. Even had to change policies when it came to dealing with mobo repairs with clear warning. The over heating is form poor heat displacement from the GPU.

Oh I also forgot to add that on that laptop, WiFi suddenly disappeared one day. No error, just doesn't exist in the device manager.

Hmm, i have good experiences with HP. Had a lenove recently, and I am not to happy with that. Think of switching back to HP

I've had good HP experiences and bad. Same with Dell, Lenovo, Asus, and Apple. Anecdotal evidence goes both ways I suppose.

I will not buy HP consumer grade garbage. I will not recommend HP consumer grade garbage. And neither should you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back