HP Spectre 32" 4K monitor HDMI incompatibility ?

David-Duc

[H]ard|Gawd
Hello everyone, just got myself an HP monitor, ran in to a weird issue:

-The display has 3 ports: DisplayPort, HDMI 2.0, HDMI 1.4.
-The DP and HDMI 2.0 work perfectly without any problem.
-The HDMI 1.4 WORKS perfectly fine with the desktop computer (GTX 980 SLI). However, when I connect other devices (Chromecast, 2013 retina Macbook Pro, Toshiba Satellite laptop i5 4200u) to it, it'll show no signal or a noise screen (shown below). Bear in mind that the same devices and cables work perfectly with the HDMI 2.0 port on the same monitor (and the TV in the living room) and I have set the resolution to 1080p.

Any ideas, guys (and gals)? :confused:

IMG_20151213_114828 by David Nguyen, on Flickr

It's obviously not the screen if it works on the PC.
It's got to be the GPU's on the devices that are unable to support HDMI 1.4 properly. I'd never get a Mac as they're crap style-over-substance anyway.

It's obviously not the screen if it works on the PC.
It's got to be the GPU's on the devices that are unable to support HDMI 1.4 properly. I'd never get a Mac as they're crap style-over-substance anyway.
Not to argue with you but the same Mac works perfectly with other HDMI 1.4 ports (TV, previous display) and the Chromecast, Toshiba laptop have the same problem.

I picked one of these up Friday at Micro Center for $699. I tried plugging my 2015 13" MBPro to the HDMI 1.4 port and didn't have any problems, came up in native res at 30hz as expected. Might want to take it back if you can't rule out any other cause, cable etc.

I returned it already. Looks like I'm not getting a new display before Christmas :mad:, thanks for you help, everyone.

Back