HP SAS Expander Owner's Thread

Hi all, I've read nearly whole thread, but I can't find definitive answer for my question: Can the external SFF-8088 port on HP expander card be used as uplink to the controller? (LSI 9207-8e in my case) Some say that it works, others say that it doesn't.

Hi all, I've read nearly whole thread, but I can't find definitive answer for my question: Can the external SFF-8088 port on HP expander card be used as uplink to the controller? (LSI 9207-8e in my case) Some say that it works, others say that it doesn't.
You gotta try :) Works fine in here :)

Thanks, of course I'll try, but it's good to know at least one working setup. Have you tested if HDDs can be connected to the "to controller" ports when using external port as uplink?

Sorry not sure what u ment.. i have 3 slave boxes + 1 master box.. slaves goes like hdd - hp sas expander - sff 8088 - xternal to internal card - sff 8087 - LSI sas controller... So.. answer to your question if i got it right, u can use that sff 8088 slot in hp sas controller for connecting it to that LSI 9207-8e

How much HDDs can you connect to one expander?
Look at the card, bottom ports are labelled as "to controller". Did you try connecting disks there?

Hello all,

Does anyone know where we can find documentation for the hp sas expander, specifily what the led lights are for?

---------

Edit

FINALLY! Got it working!!!!!

Created a post on reddit and got a reply from user skels130
"According to my research, many, if not most, motherboards will not power a paid device without a CPU."

I bought a PCI-E Rise board, the ones people use for bitcoin mining with multiple GPUs
And it worked!

Also easy way to tell if the SAS Expander will work in your motherboard is:
Turn it on.
If LED R6 is remains Solid Green permanently then your motherboards isnt powering it up fully
If LED R6 is Solid Green for a few seconds, then goes to a continuous blink, then it's powered up properly

Linux terminal in Ubuntu still did not detect the SAS expander but did detect a Logical volume connected to it
But the Service Pack for Proliant boot USB worked and updated the SAS Expander firmware to latest, 2.10C

Also fixed the 2 drive detected issue.
Once I detected by the SPP boot USB, it then shows the drives in the Smart Storage Administrator
From there I cleared the current configuration and set each drive to a separate individual Raid 0 "Array"

Now all external 3 drives connected to the expander are being detected by the server.
now to test withxpenology.
For the record, this is what I did many years ago when I built my file server with an ITX motherboard and Perc H310 in IT mode.

Still working great 3 years later.

I never really got mine to work the way I wanted it to.

In the end I decided to just dispense with expanders, and dropped a considerably larger sum on an LSI SAS 9305-24i.

.com%2FProductImageCompressAll1280%2F16-118-248-04.jpg

It cost a bit more, but it definitely does the trick.

It's funny though. They call it low profile, but in most low profile cases you can't use the top two ports. Not a problem for me in my 4U case though.

For the record, this is what I did many years ago when I built my file server with an ITX motherboard and Perc H310 in IT mode.

Still working great 3 years later.

Hey, you sure you uploaded the right picture? All we can see is a card that's not connected to anything - doubt that "works" 3 years later. Did you want to show some sort of hook-up scheme or something?

for the hp sas expander if i connect only port 8c or 9c only(and not both) to the sas2008 what would happen? thx

what is the hp sas expander yellow/red card look like (that does not support 6gbps)? image search only show green ones?? thx

Last edited:
Back