HP SAS 12GB Expander

N Bates

Limp Gawd
Hi,

Can anyone tell me whether the HP SAS 12GB Expander card is supported in Omnios and windows:

HP AEC-83605/HP2 36 Ports 12GB SAS Expansion Board 761879-001

This expander won’t have drivers, it’s the underlying controller that you need to make sure is compatible with the O.S. and the expander.

So, as long as the controller is supported in the OS the expander should work?

I've used a very similar product.

Basically you need to make sure your controller supports it, otherwise you'll just end up with a useless board.

Some combinations of hardware may end up with undesired results, IE using with SATA drives may limit you to SATA1 speeds etc.

I am currently using the older HP SAS Expender card and this works fine, however, when using it with SATA drives it only works at 3gb and does work at 6gb with SAS drives and this is stated in the product documentations, I was hoping that upgrading to this newer card will unable my transfer speeds to increase with the SATA drives, I am using the intel X540 T2 network card.

I am currently using the older HP SAS Expender card and this works fine, however, when using it with SATA drives it only works at 3gb and does work at 6gb with SAS drives and this is stated in the product documentations, I was hoping that upgrading to this newer card will unable my transfer speeds to increase with the SATA drives, I am using the intel X540 T2 network card.

Did you successfully use this newer card with 6GB SATA speeds?

I just picked one of these bad boys up.. $160 on ebay...

I currently have 3x 8i hba… comprised of
1x Dell 5110-8i
2x HP H220-8i

I needed to free up one of the pci-e slots for my 10gb nic that I had to remove to get the drives up and running...

so anyway..

I removed 1 8i and put this in... connected from one 8i to port 1, then moved the connection of drives from that to port 2... moved ports from removed card to ports 3 and 4... then removed last card to put 10gb in...
and moved those to ports 5 and 6...

seemed to be good on boot... but when I got up and running... I was missing some drives. not all but some... I use stablebit drive pool...
was missing 3 in 1 pool and 4 in another...

do ports on these cards go bad? guess I should look for a fw update....

more to come..

this is all in a corsair 750d case with 3x icy dock 6x2.5 hot swap cages (18 drives) plus the 4 internal 2.5 and 6x3 3.5 bays (18)…

I just picked one of these bad boys up.. $160 on ebay...

I currently have 3x 8i hba… comprised of
1x Dell 5110-8i
2x HP H220-8i

I needed to free up one of the pci-e slots for my 10gb nic that I had to remove to get the drives up and running...

so anyway..

I removed 1 8i and put this in... connected from one 8i to port 1, then moved the connection of drives from that to port 2... moved ports from removed card to ports 3 and 4... then removed last card to put 10gb in...
and moved those to ports 5 and 6...

seemed to be good on boot... but when I got up and running... I was missing some drives. not all but some... I use stablebit drive pool...
was missing 3 in 1 pool and 4 in another...

do ports on these cards go bad? guess I should look for a fw update....

more to come..

this is all in a corsair 750d case with 3x icy dock 6x2.5 hot swap cages (18 drives) plus the 4 internal 2.5 and 6x3 3.5 bays (18)…

Any updates on your end? Just picked up two of these. Going to use with an Areca 1883i card.

The HP SAS3 expander will work properly with both the Areca 1883 and 1884, I have both running successfully with SAS drives (haven't tried SATA yet though I would expect it to work).

The HP SAS3 expander will work properly with both the Areca 1883 and 1884, I have both running successfully with SAS drives (haven't tried SATA yet though I would expect it to work).

I never could get these working with my Areca 1883 cards. I have tried everything imaginable (switching ports around, upgraded firmware to 4.22, single vs dual linking, etc). No matter what I do, the cards either freeze while loading Areca firmware under certain port configurations, or only some of the drives actually show up. Any ideas?

Any updates on your end? Just picked up two of these. Going to use with an Areca 1883i card.

Sorry, been real busy... why yes! I am up and running.. loving this thing!!!!

here is my link to storage show off thread..

https://hardforum.com/threads/h-ard-forum-storage-showoff-thread.1847026/page-13#post-1044357874

aight....
update to my setup...
Case: Corsair 750D with 6x3 bay cages
OS: Server 2019 Standard (Essentials role is gone.. im sad)
CPU: Intel i5-6600k
MoBo: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI
RAM: 4x8gb ddr4
GFX: Onboard Intel HD 530
PSU: Corsair HX 620W
OS Drive: 128GB SSD, Samsung
Storage Controllers: HP H220 8i feeding - HP AEC-83605/HP2 36 Ports 12GB SAS Expansion Board 761879-001
Hot Swap Cages: ICY DOCK 6 x 2.5" SATA /SAS HDD/SSD Hot Swap x 3
Storage Pool1: SSD
Storage Pool2: Sata with 500GB SSD 256gb NVME Cache
So...
15x 2tb SATA
3x 4tb SATA
256gb NVME Cache
1x 120gb Samsung SSD - OS
21x 500gb ssd
all quiet, compact, 10gb network.....

Last edited:
Back