HP Recalling Laptop Batteries Worldwide Due to Overheating and Fire Risk

DooKey

[H]F Junkie
HP has issued a recall for laptop batteries because they may overheat or cause a fire. These batteries are within 15 different model laptops. Some of these laptops have internal batteries that aren't user removable and they will provide a free service to have this replaced by a service tech at no cost. Click the pic below to see if your laptop has a battery being recalled.

Many of these batteries are internal to the system, which means they are not customer replaceable. HP is providing battery replacement services by an authorized technician at no cost. HP is also providing a BIOS update that places the battery in "Battery Safety Mode" so that the notebook or workstation can be safely used without the battery by connecting to an HP power adaptor. Batteries affected by this recall should immediately be put into "Battery Safety Mode".

Sweet. Checked my inventory and the two that I did have on the list came up clean on the test.

So just out of curiosity, I wonder if having just one event like this suddenly would have made it more cost effective to still have battery replacement doors on computing devices?

This would have been far less expensive a replacement if they didn't have to pay techs to install them.

Stuff happens with batteries. This is what happens when you can't get at that battery.

So just out of curiosity, I wonder if having just one event like this suddenly would have made it more cost effective to still have battery replacement doors on computing devices?

This would have been far less expensive a replacement if they didn't have to pay techs to install them.

Stuff happens with batteries. This is what happens when you can't get at that battery.

But thin is the name of the game now. With user replaceable batteries, the batteries have to be in a thicker case to avoid damage.

Until they stop this stupid "we will strive make devices as thin as a sheet of paper", we cannot get back to some sort of common sense designs.

People want thin laptops, and this is the result. Can't remove batteries and can't upgrade the HD or memory. These laptop companies are all chasing Apple.

The govt. agency I work for has just issued thousands of 640 G2s for laptop refreshments.
14 screws have to removed I think to replace them, outta be fun.

The govt. agency I work for has just issued thousands of 640 G2s for laptop refreshments.
14 screws have to removed I think to replace them, outta be fun.

oh the fancy dancy formed batteries.

that's why thin laptops SUCK.

oh the fancy dancy formed batteries.

that's why thin laptops SUCK.

Yup, The G2s are much more annoying to work on than the earlier model(G1). To remove the battery you have to remove the 8 screws holding the bottom cover, then there are 6 screws that hold the battery in place. To make working on these even worse, you have to remove the battery before you can remove/replace the Hard drive.

Dammit. I'll be busy all next week pulling reports of the millions of dollars worth that I sold in 2017...]

Great my work Zbook is affected too.

But thin is the name of the game now. With user replaceable batteries, the batteries have to be in a thicker case to avoid damage.

Until they stop this stupid "we will strive make devices as thin as a sheet of paper", we cannot get back to some sort of common sense designs.

to be fair, the first macbook air was revolutionarily (not a word) thin, and it's back cover came off with something like 8 screws, revealing the battery. It was pretty simple to take apart, unlike some of the new laptops that are held together with clips you need pry tools to open.

to be fair, the first macbook air was revolutionarily (not a word) thin, and it's back cover came off with something like 8 screws, revealing the battery. It was pretty simple to take apart, unlike some of the new laptops that are held together with clips you need pry tools to open.

The newer Dell work oriented laptops are easy to take the cover off as well in order to change stuff out. Just a bunch of screws. Pretty much no consumer (not talking about people like on [H]) is going to be brave enough to take the back cover off though.

The ONLY style that most consumers are going to be comfortable changing the battery on is where they have the release clip for the battery like how the older style laptops were made.

Back