HP ProLiant N40L $249 @ Newegg Shellshocker - Right Now - 4:00PM - 11:59PM PT

Been waiting on this for months....

...and of course now, I have no extra funds available for it. :mad:

Been waiting on this for months....

...and of course now, I have no extra funds available for it. :mad:

I can buy it and hold onto it for you until you've got funds. PM me. ordering soon :)

Craig

is this neo processor paired with a strong gpu that can even fit in this case powerful enough to emulate the wii using dolphin?

awesome deal.

add WHS + StabelBit DrivePool + LightsOut for $100 total, and you have a robust NAS.

or NAS4Free if you want Open Source

This is actually a great little server and has one PCIe slot. The Samsung low profile memory work in it great too. You can convert the 5 /14" bay into a 5th HD and use an eSATA to SATA cable to run it and also run a SATA drive off the board itself. Does RAID 1/0 IIRC too.

is this neo processor paired with a strong gpu that can even fit in this case powerful enough to emulate the wii using dolphin?

I'm sure you could get it to work, but its not really the right application for this microserver. This was designed to be a home server vs a little gaming box. It has low profile expansion slots and a 150w psu. Not really an ideal base for a little gaming rig. You would be better off with a shuttle or something similar.

almost got it for a WHS but limited RAID, if it did 5 it would be perfect

These go for around $200 on fleabay all the time so don't sweat it if you miss out

DANGIT!!!!
I was waiting for this little server to come down in price again, I completely missed this :(

(sigh) mine is still in its sealed box. even bought extra ram for it. have no motivation to break it out and do something with it.

RAID 5 write hole is such a well documented problem that (I hope) most "real" RAID solutions already handle it correctly.

RAID 5 is designed to handle singular fault. Critical array + URE is double fault. If you want to handle double fault, go RAID 6.

A double fault is very likely in 2TB+ disks in RAID5/6.

By the time you RAID6 4 SATA disks I'd rather just stripe across mirrors w/ ZFS.

I have the older model with the neo 1.3ghz cpu in it running whs 2011. Put 5x 3TB drives in it. Runs great as an htpc with xbmc.

Oh yea...
http://www.flirc.tv/

Get that for it!

A double fault is very likely in 2TB+ disks in RAID5/6.

By the time you RAID6 4 SATA disks I'd rather just stripe across mirrors w/ ZFS.

You're both right.

If you don't want to risk it just go for Raid 6 with 4 drives. That said it's pretty unlikely that 2 drives will fail close to one another unless they are both part of the same lot of drives that were defective.

Back