HP Proliant Microserver N40L 180 free ship

Nice little unit. I had one but ended up returning it because I needed something a little more powerful, but for a media server it's not bad. You can put up to 6 HD's in it depending on your creativity. The ram can be upgraded to 8gb using 2 x 4Gb sticks, does not require ECC memory, I used the Samsung low profile ram for $40. Biggest issue that I saw besides the processor, was that it will only do RAID 0 or 1, however WHS2011 will do soft raid for RAID 5.

Actually you can easily get this thing to 10 drives with an add on drive cage for the 5 1/4 bay, sas card, and then use the onboard sata and esata (route esata to sata cable back inside case) for two more drives (mounted between the 5 1/4 bay and the built in drive cage). Not sure if the PSU can deal with that many, but I've seen 8 drive setups on this box.

would this thing support say 5 to 7 heavy users? i.e 4 roomates accessing various shares, a downloader downloading to it, etc?

my nas gets bogged down often

This would make a nice little home NAS solution. Wonder how long it will stay at this price?

Actually you can easily get this thing to 10 drives with an add on drive cage for the 5 1/4 bay, sas card, and then use the onboard sata and esata (route esata to sata cable back inside case) for two more drives (mounted between the 5 1/4 bay and the built in drive cage). Not sure if the PSU can deal with that many, but I've seen 8 drive setups on this box.

pics?

Just ordered also. I have been looking for a way to reduce my power usage on my current file server and this is perfect. My house is old and only has 100 amp box so I have been trying to cut down my usage. I'll give my old power hog server to the in-laws.

just wondering, does having a NAS allow you to stream movies from the NAS faster than if you hosted it on another PC through a homegroup for example?

just wondering, does having a NAS allow you to stream movies from the NAS faster than if you hosted it on another PC through a homegroup for example?

I wouldn't say it's faster than another PC, but it is a nice small, quiet, power efficient system that can hold a heck of a lot of data set up right. Personally I prefer to have all my stuff on a separate "NAS" so my wife does not have to know/care if my machine is on or not. I think I am going to try and pop in my low profile 5450 card and see if I can use this as my HTPC too and eliminate one more computer from running all the time.

I wouldn't say it's faster than another PC, but it is a nice small, quiet, power efficient system that can hold a heck of a lot of data set up right. Personally I prefer to have all my stuff on a separate "NAS" so my wife does not have to know/care if my machine is on or not. I think I am going to try and pop in my low profile 5450 card and see if I can use this as my HTPC too and eliminate one more computer from running all the time.

Thank you, that is good information.

That really isn't a bad deal considering the price of HDD's right now.

Not at all. I just bought one of those drives for $110 a couple weeks ago so that works out to $180 for the server again.

I have an original HP EX470 Windows Home Server (Running Version 1) and I've always had issues with this thing. The transfer speed over the network is just abyssal. I'm considering switching to this and possibly installing the new version of WHS or some other operating system.

Sorry, the combo deal is no longer available.

I tried to put it in my cart.

Darn - I was thinking the last two days I should keep an eye out for a deal on one. This would have been great.

Back to waiting.

Just got mine in today, threw on the 2K8 consumer preview and it works great. Going to toss in 4 2TB drives and play around with storage spaces later tonight.

Back