HP procurve 1810G-24 Any opinions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mackintire

2[H]4U
I 'm planning on using a switch similar to this instead for my new house with all the rooms wired in.

Is this a reliable switch? The one review posted online complains about it not supporting STP protocol, another user at Tom's complained he couldn't make link aggregation work.

Any comments?

I am currently using this switch for two customers as a top of the rack switch. So far no issues even under load. I do wish that there was another management interface instead of web only, however the web interface is more robust then most so I guess that's a plus.

Not to mention they are HP and the lifetime warranty is excellent.

Yup I'm looking at 3x of them right now, I set them up about 2 years ago...haven't touched them since. Rock ass solid..and this clients network that I'm at...pushes their network hard.

Literally "set 'em 'n forget 'em" switches....

The environmental specs let me to purchase a few of these for non-controlled areas. No problems, but then again, not many features to go wrong ;) it easily hits 105-110 during the summer and near freezing during the winter.

its a good switch. I'm running a 1800-24G at home. I've not had problems with link aggregation. I don't think STP, or lack thereof, is a huge deal for your house. :)
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

An excellent switch for home. Best option for gigabit except Cisco costing 3x more.

I heavily considered it, but decided to go with a Dell PowerConnect 2824 instead. It does everything the HP does for far less money. The only thing you don't get is the lifetime warranty. The standard warranty is a year. Even adding the three year extension still makes the device $160.00 or so cheaper than the HP.

I heavily considered it, but decided to go with a Dell PowerConnect 2824 instead. It does everything the HP does for far less money. The only thing you don't get is the lifetime warranty. The standard warranty is a year. Even adding the three year extension still makes the device $160.00 or so cheaper than the HP.

I hope you have a closet to put that in, or don't mind the noise. I have two powerconnect 5324s at home and used to have a 2748. The HP you could put in your home office and your desktop fans would drown it out but the Dell can be heard over everything.

Also the dell's web management is kinda screwy and works only with IE.

The 2824 only has one fan in it. The 8 and 16 port versions do not have fans at all. Anyhow, the 2824 sits in a wall cabinet in the office. You can't hear it at all. Since the OP wants to put a switch in his house I'd recommend the 2816 switches. You can buy two and still come out ahead on pricing compared to the 1810G.

As far as web management I always use IE. For some reason Firefox doesn't like to work in a lot of web interfaces for devices (probably has something to do with the poor HTML coding of the interface).

I just upgraded from a ProCurve 1800-24G to the 1810G-24. The new model no longer has a fan at all. If you are looking for a SILENT 24 port switch the 1810G-24 is the way to go. I run all ProCurve at work and at home.

Using the 1810 in my flat (had to be fanless as its in the front room), works great with my consoles + htpc and my fileserver; you can also turn the LEDs off to not drive you mad if its going to be in a 'normal' room :)

I just upgraded from a ProCurve 1800-24G to the 1810G-24. The new model no longer has a fan at all. If you are looking for a SILENT 24 port switch the 1810G-24 is the way to go. I run all ProCurve at work and at home.

Umm...my 1800-24G doesn't have a fan. Unless there's one on a internal heatsink that I'm unaware of?

As a side note, can anyone point out the differences between the 1800-24G and 1810-24G? I'm gone through the spec sheets, but I can't seem to identify any significant changes.

Umm...my 1800-24G doesn't have a fan. Unless there's one on a internal heatsink that I'm unaware of?

As a side note, can anyone point out the differences between the 1800-24G and 1810-24G? I'm gone through the spec sheets, but I can't seem to identify any significant changes.

Mine did, although the manual said it didn't need it under normal operating conditions. That fan was loud as hell too. I got my 1800 series switches right when they were launched. They must of had a revision change or spec update within the model.

The "green" :rolleyes: lights out feature that you mentioned is great. I used to use electrical tape over the 1800-8G in my bedroom before that got updated to a 1810G-8. Now I just have it set to turn off all the lights after 5 minutes.

There is no physical management interface on the Dell 27xx or 28xx they are web only (so no console, SSH, or telnet). You have to jump to the 5xxx series to get more management options. The procurve 1810 is the same way, web only.
The 2824 does indeed have a serial console connection.
Reference

Go for the Procurve. I've set up a few of the 1800 series for clients. Excellent piece of hardware, and the warranty on it can't be beat.

Some question about the 1810G-24:

1. Does the Link Aggregation work between two HP 1810G-24 switch?

2. Can Link Aggregation be set up with multiple NICs between a server and 1810G-24 to provide increased total bandwidth, i.e. 2Gbps or 4Gbps?

It supports 802.3ad ... not using it myself yet but was a future spec that I wanted too

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back